17 Jan 2013

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

"Not enough free space on the system storage" with a brand new PS3.

14 Replies 2,484 Views Created 17-01-2013

Ok so I recently bought the new PS3 slim (Only 12gb, I know it's small but what can you do.) and I also bought assassins creed 1 and 2 combined into 1 disc. When I put the disc in my ps3 it comes up with two disc icons, "Assassins Creed 2" and "Assassins Creed 2/Assassins Creed" Like most I want to play this chronologically so I go for the second title and it says "Not enough free space on the system storage". I have literally nothing on this PS3 but these discs, no saves or anything. However what confuses me is that it allows me to play the disc titled "Assassins Creed 2" yet not the other one. Please help, I've deleted everything and it's still not letting me play. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (2,484 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: "Not enough free space on the system storage" with a brand new PS3.

That seems odd. Perhaps that disk does a check for free space, and its breakpoint is higher that the 11-ish Gb you have available.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15 (2,475 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

If I remember correctly, the first time you play AC2, it will install the original AC to your HDD. As this file is around 7gb in size, and the install requires twice this amount to work, then this is your problem - needs 14gb of space, you have less than this available.
You have 2 solutions - take the console back to where you got it from, explain your issue, and ask if you can swap it for the 500gb model.
Or you could attempt to upgrade the console yourself. For this you will need a 2.5" SATA 9.5mm 5400 rpm hard drive (sizes range from 160gb to 1tb. Most people go for 320/500 GB or 1tb drives). You will also need a drive caddy for the new super slim. Total cost for this will be in the region of £80 or less. Amazon have a range of suitable drives (PS3 compatible).
Good luck.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (2,471 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

For those searching who've stumbled upon this...

Chances are you've purchased one of these:

In order to expand the storage you'll need a screwdriver and the following:

PS3 Hard Disk Mounting Bracket

And something like this 1TB 5400RPM SATA II 2.5 inch Hard Drive.

These are the parts I used to upgrade my 12GB PS3 and I've provided links for anyone to use if they're unsure of a decent place to buy from. Other stores are available and may well be better value, however that was my choice and my PS3 is sat on my table humming along nicely :Thumbs: . Now I just need another HDMI cable... :xRolleyes:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15 (2,431 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I've done the same but my ps3 is still saying I haven't enough memory even though the system info shows the size of hard drive I've put in. Do I need to delete my data from my 12gb flash memory and will it then start saving onto the hard drive?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (2,304 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Which memory is it saying is in use? Does it still say Flash Memory?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (2,301 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm not sure. How do I check this?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (2,284 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

If the HDD is inserted correctly, then you should have be prompted to format it, and then asked to install the latest system firmware. As soon as both of these steps were completed, the console would have then automatically transfered the contents of the flash RAM onto the HDD. The flash RAM is then wiped and disabled.

After inserting the HDD were you prompted to format it? If the answer's "no", then you're still using the flash RAM.

My PSN Profile

All blank friend requests will be refused.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (2,274 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

the ps3 indicated there was a hard drive and did I want to use it by transferring information from the flash memory to it. It didn't ask me to format. if it didn't ask does this mean I have to force a format? If so how?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (2,271 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Sorted. backed up data from 12gb flash memory to external hd. formatted internal hd. restored back up and now memory is just showing hd and I can load new games including assassins creed (7810 mb) and assassins creed II.

thanks for all replies

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15 (2,259 Views)
0 Kudos