60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

3D TV To Use With PS3 For Gaming/3D Blu-Rays

39 Replies 445 Views Created 07-06-2011

Hey guys I've been blown away by the E3 conference from Sony (well done guys) and one of the things that caught my interest was the new and upcoming 24" "Playstation TV".

Since watching the conference though I have become quite interested in 3D gaming and have been looking relentlessly all morning at 3D TV's to maybe go get one soon, after all it is my birthday so I think i'm entitled to a treat :D .

However after many searches and reviews I am completely lost in which TV would make a good purchase, so I am looking for ideas or recommendations for a 3D TV from you guys who have used or have one :) . My budget is around £1000 maybe a little more, preferably less lol. Ideally a Sony one would be good since I have a PS3 and a Sony Blu-Ray but really won't mind another brand if it outperforms and wont make a difference in terms of 3D quality (maybe the PS3 wont work so well with a Panasonic screen?)

Cheers for your help in advance all!

0 Kudos
LABELS:

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

If you're going for a plasma I think the viewing angles are better than LCD/LED TV's

That said, my Sony LCD is pretty good for viewing angles, you've really got to tilt your head some to lose the effect.

Edit : nooby mistake removed before zinep and james91 pull me up on it.

0 Kudos

Re: 3D TV To Use With PS3 For Gaming/3D Blu-Rays

[ Edited ]
/16

Vysey

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Vysey
Accepted Solution

fski wrote:

If you're going for a plasma I think the viewing angles are better than LCD/LED TV's

That said, my Sony LCD is pretty good for viewing angles, you've really got to tilt your head some to lose the effect.

Edit : nooby mistake removed before zinep and james91 pull me up on it.

Yeah my current 37" Sony has great viewing angles, I sit to the bottom left of the tv (since it's wall mounted) and can see everything perfectly =]

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

Cool. Well, with a plasma you're going to get the best viewing angle and best 3D viewing angles.

The only minus I've ever seen about 3D content with plasmas is that it can be a little dark. I'm not gonna go futher though, the plasma gang around here are pretty protective. :p

0 Kudos

/16

Vysey

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Vysey
Accepted Solution

fski wrote:

Cool. Well, with a plasma you're going to get the best viewing angle and best 3D viewing angles.

The only minus I've ever seen about 3D content with plasmas is that it can be a little dark. I'm not gonna go futher though, the plasma gang around here are pretty protective. :p

Lol I got your back don't worry, bring it on Plasma Team! haha.

I've heard Plasma's have screen burn in problems, is this an old tech Plasma or do the new panels still suffer from it?

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
James91
Accepted Solution
You're very, very unlikely to get burn-in now on a plasma but you probably will get some form of retention at some point with it, but it generally fades within a few minutes of removing the static image from the screen.

Panasonic's are the most resistant plasma panels to retention, I actually left one of mine on pause for almost an hour and a half one time and managed not to get any at all.
0 Kudos

/16

zinep

85%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
zinep
Accepted Solution

Vysey wrote:

fski wrote:

Lol I got your back don't worry, bring it on Plasma Team! haha.

I've heard Plasma's have screen burn in problems, is this an old tech Plasma or do the new panels still suffer from it?

Let's invent some new terminology; we'll say "burn in" and "residue image".

With regards to to "burn in", it can happen to to any technology. It may be easier with plasma, and it may be more severe when it does happen -- but trust me when I say that you would actually have to actively try, hard, to get an image to burn in.

With regards to residue images; it happens. For instance, if I watch media which is 4:3 for a while, I can get slightly darker borders on the sides. But when I then view something which is 16:9, the dark borders disappear after at most a minute. I actually tried watchnig ST:TNG for an entire day once, just in order to see how bad it got. Then, at the end of the day I watched an episode of Mythbusters, and the dark border disappeared almost immediately.

Burn-in isn't a problem with plasma (as in "it won't go away", or "is difficult to remove"). Residue images can be seen, but they don't appear under normal (16:9) circumstances, and should one get them, they are trivial to remove.

I wouldn't say plasma has any burn-in problems, at least not today. But I have obviously not tried all plasma screens out there..

0 Kudos

/16

SuperJase

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SuperJase
Accepted Solution

Based on my experiences with my VT30... the viewing angle in 3D is just as good as watching 2D, which is excellent.

The brightness of my screen at the moment is set at about half because the screen is still running in, but I've not noticed much of a brightness difference from my old Samsung LCD. Obviously wearing the 3D glasses reduces the brightness, but, on my screen at least, the TV seems to accomodate this and raises the brightness slightly so it looks nornal.

There is a chance of IR (Image Retention) on Plasmas where game HUDs can remain on the screen if played for a very long time, but if the screen is run in properly this can be reduced and normally only lasts a few seconds ans mentioned above. I have not experience this yet though but my TV is only 2 weeks old.

0 Kudos

/16

metalpaul1000

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metalpaul1000
Accepted Solution
i have a Samsung D7000. I prefer LED/LCDs. it does come down to personal preference. The TV is fantastic. the picture qulasity is the best ive seen. I wasnt too bothered about 3D but it blew me away. The TV itself is slightly over 1k thoigh. The 40inch is the flagship model too. 2D qulasity is incredible and standard def tv is really good. 3D games that have really impressed are: Motorstorm Apoc KZ3 Mk Superstardust HD Not impressed: sly Collection Pain
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

Yeah the 3D in 'Pain' is absolute garbage, they've got some big ones actually calling it 3D to begin with.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

SuperJase

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SuperJase
Accepted Solution

fski wrote:

Yeah the 3D in 'Pain' is absolute garbage, they've got some big ones actually calling it 3D to begin with.

Cheers, I'll avoid that game then! I will try Avatar though.

0 Kudos

/16

Capeview

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Capeview
Accepted Solution

I saw the Panny VT30 at the Gadget Show when it was on. It was a 50" model and must say, compared to the older VT20 model I had seen before, it was a much more vibrant picture.

The other tech they were running was a new Panny Blu Ray with something called Depth Field or something like that. Anyway, I had seen AVATAR running on previous tv's in 3D, but when I saw it running on the VT30 with this new Blu Ray player, the picture was even more stunning than anything I had seen before.

And one thing that I thought was good(Not sure if it's possible with LCD/LED tv's) is that you can be lying down on your side and still watch the TV in 3D.

Viewing angles for 3D were immense as well, with pretty much full width of the tv being able to view the tv in 3D with full colour at all angles. Even top and bottom viewing didn't show much difference in picture quality.

I currently have a Pioneer KURO and wish it could run 3D, as it would save me having to buy another TV. As yet, I still think the picture on the KURO is hard to beat, and won't be buying any 3D sets just yet, but if I was to buy one, it would probably be the Panny VT30.

All tv's have issues, but with the Plasma, I have yet to see some of the speed issues and colour issues that really do hamper LCD/LED tv's.

0 Kudos

/16

SuperJase

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SuperJase
Accepted Solution

Capeview wrote:

And one thing that I thought was good(Not sure if it's possible with LCD/LED tv's) is that you can be lying down on your side and still watch the TV in 3D.

Yes you can watch the 3D while lying down which is pretty cool, but it depends on how the 3D is created. There is another way of showing 3D which is side by side which I think would then not let you see 3D while your head is tilted. My VT30 supports various ways of showing 3D and one cool feature is that you can use your normal camera, take 2 shots 5cm apart and then the TV creates a 3D image of it, it works very well :)

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

Capeview wrote

I doubt it's possible, in my experience you've got to be fairly centred to the TV with an LCD/LED otherwise you lose the effect. There's a bit of 'give' but not plasma amounts.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
James91
Accepted Solution

fski wrote:

Capeview wrote

I doubt it's possible, in my experience you've got to be fairly centred to the TV with an LCD/LED otherwise you lose the effect. There's a bit of 'give' but not plasma amounts.

This video gives a good idea of the shift you get with LCD vs plasma for lying on your side when viewing in 3D

http://video.consumerreports.org/services/player/bcpid1886192495?bctid=72326491001

Skip to around 55 seconds in to see the comparison between the two.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

That looks consistent with my LED, probably due to it using polarised lenses of some kind.

Good site that James, I was just looking at some of their passive set reviews and it looks like the tech has a little way to go yet with halved vertical res and jaggies on 3D playback.

0 Kudos

/16

whereismax123

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whereismax123
Accepted Solution
side by side is just half resolution 3d. it wont make any differnce except that a full 1080p image is spilt and strecthed . its really only used for sky and for pirate 3d bluray rips
0 Kudos

Free Image Hosting

/16

zinep

85%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
zinep
Accepted Solution

fski wrote:

Roaargh!

But seriously, you're right. The reason is that with a more homogenous background lighting, as with LCD, it's easier to get brigher picture. If the 3D will make you lose X percent of the photons on the way to the eye, due to the polarization changes in the shutters, then you increase the backlight by X percent, and make sure the backlights aren't easily saturated). (In reality, there are some other variables to take into account, but it's the basic principle).

With plasma, there are a few variables which may explain the dark image. For instance, it could be due to a nonliniar change in brightness of the cells, or that they are becoming saturated. And there are some other potential problems.

I do prefer my plasma to the LCD's I've seen, but plasmas aren't perfect, and the 3D will need to continue to develop on both technologies.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
James91
Accepted Solution

Panasonic ST30 isn't a bad deal at £763 for the 42" one, the 46" comes in at £1,006.98 so isn't too bad a deal either, but it's a fair jump up in price for the size.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42ST30B-42-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B004TFDTMS/ref=sr_1_1?i...

Both HDTV Test and AV Forums rated it pretty well

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42st30b-p42st30-201105161138.htm

http://www.avforums.com/review/Panasonic-ST30-TX-P46ST30B-42ST30-46ST30-50ST30-3D-Plasma-TV-Review.h...

The next model up, the GT30, also comes in under budget too http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42GT30B-Widescreen-Installation-Recommended/dp/B004QWYOBY/ref=...

Again, it's highly rated

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42gt30b-p42gt30-201103281070.htm

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/panasonic-viera-gt30-tx-p46gt30b-review-50003431/

http://flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1300800238

FooFan73 wrote:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ue46d6100-46-full-hd-led-3d-tv-10078469-pdt.html

And change left over for a penny sweet!

I personally wouldn't recommend an LED edge-lit set, you'd be better off with a CCFL set or spending the extra to get a full LED backlight.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Gloris

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Gloris
Accepted Solution

if you are interested in a huge screen setup....you could get the optoma HD67 projector+ Optoma 3D-XL 3D converter.

this is the setup i use with my ps3, and it means i have a massive 80" 3D screen in my bedroom now....also has the benfit of much much less "ghosting" than many of the LCD based 3D-TV's.....when i tried a 3d-tv in store, the ghosting was really obviousy alot of the time.....but on my setup i genuinely haven't noticed any yet.

the whole setup projector/3d-box/screen (or white-board in my case) shouldn't set you back more than around £750-800.....same as the budget 3d-tv's, but with a screen that's thrice the size.....

if you've got the space, it' well worth considering :)

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel