03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

An e-mail to Sony

[ Edited ]
54 Replies 412 Views edited 18-11-2011

So, i'm sick and tired of being faffed around, led from one erson to the next, e-mailing members of staff that never get back to me and just generally being told "we'll reply tomorrow"

When i found out about the lowered limit i was crushed. I have 3 PS3's and 1 PSP
2 PS3's at mine, 1 at my girlfriends and 1 PSP i share with my girlfriend (Not gameshare, as sony were quick to accuse, just share, like people used to do before DRM/THIS IS NOT YOUR ACCOUNT/PAY US MORE PLEASE)

So, a long story short, i asked them why they were doing this

"Because a lot of users don't use this feature"

But i do? Are my rights no longer valid?

How many times in total will i be able to re/deactivate my account?
I don't want to keep switching rooms to play 2 seperate games because i bought DLC after the 18th
"Sorry but it seems you may have to do this to conform to our Terms & Conditions. Failure to do so will result in a suspension on your account being issued"

Oh....i'll be suspended for paying for DLC and trying to use it on a PS3, that i legally bought for £450 in 2008?

"Technically yes"

So, after getting no bloody response for god knows how long i've composed an e-mail. 

I would invite Mods/Whoever to comment on it, i don't mind. Just be reasonable.
I'm in no way rich, just got lucky when i bought them, and am now rather unlucky. As such, i enjoy playing with my big nice toys, and am not best pleased that im being told i now wont be able to use all the features i paid for (inb4 installing linux)

Anyway, have just sent this off, let me know what you think. 

Hello
I would appreciate a phone call on my mobile, i don't have enough credit on my phone to call, because ironically i spent it on my PS3/DLC
Right, incase i can't get this, i'd like to ask the following;

Firstly, is there a limit to how many times i can re/deactivate my account? (I ask because i now NEED to mandatorily do this owing to your pretty unfair change of terms and conditions)

How often can i do this? I've been told its only ONE time per 6 months?    PS: The site i was told to use does not allow me to use it as advertised, it quite plainly doesn't work.
(Being as i travel a lot, i would like to know as i would need to do this several times per week between my two PS3's at my house, my PSP, and my PS3 at my girlfriends house, i like to play)
In addition to this, why am i seemingly unable to get a straight answer from any Sony rep, either via this e-mail or on the PS3 Forums? 
I keep getting told i'll be "got back to soon" and quite plainly ignored/forgotten due to a seemingly uneducated staff base. 
I understand you're all probably very busy, and this may sound an unfair question, but know that i don't personally think this reflects whoever is reading/answering this e-mail.
I just think that seeing as Sony has for the most part, let their HUGE customer base down for the most part, that we should be treated better.
Now i get that this is a lot of questions, but they're all things i've asked before and not gotten answers to previously.
The amount of times i've received automated responses/cut and paste answers to specific, complex queries just makes me despair, the amount of time and money i've invested in your business and products makes me think the myself and indeed the whole PS3 community should be entitled to something a lot better =/
Thankyou
-Ben Eaglesfield
PS: Do the new measures mean i can have 2 PS3's active, and ALSO 2 PSP's, 4 units in total?
TL;dr -  Questions and complaints regarding the new 2 unit activation
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

Danlisa

• Beta Tester
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Danlisa
Accepted Solution

Ben_Eaglesfield wrote:

I am pretty sure this is how it works, though i have to admit im confused. If i have to deactivate an account to use some DLC limited to 2 units, it will in theory also deactivate the DLC that should be available on upto 5 units? 

True, as soon as you deactivate the console to free up the content limited to 2 devices, the content that's limited to 5 devices will no longer work.

As far as I understand your situation, you wish to use certain items on a device external to your house i.e your GFs.  Not an issue really as you can only be in one place at a time.  Before leaving home, deactivate one console, when arriving at the GFs activate the other.  Repeat when leaving.

FWIW, you can download all the newly restricted content to every machine, it just needs activating each time you move location.

0 Kudos

Re: An e-mail to Sony

/16

Ben_Eaglesfield

72%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ben_Eaglesfield
Accepted Solution

I just think the main issue is that this "new site" was sold as a free and easy to use unlimited use solution to remotely doing this. While i understand that i need to de/reactivate and have no problem doing so, if i forget to, or for some reason am unable to, i dont want to use up my ONE allowance of a mass deactivation due to a small oversight. 

my impression was that we'd be able to pick and choose individual devices for deactivation, as well as reactivating them online, as many times, whenever and wherever we were. Instead its a lot more spartan than that and somewhat vague at the same time =/

Really wouldnt mind this whole thing if Sony could just be transparent with its customers. =P

0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

You should be able to use you stuff on any ps3 as long as you are signed in as you can only have your account singned on with one ps3  at any one time.

This whole situation is stone age!

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Beta Tester
/16

Danlisa

• Beta Tester
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Danlisa
Accepted Solution

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

You should be able to use you stuff on any ps3 as long as you are signed in as you can only have your account singned on with one ps3  at any one time.

Agreed.

I think this has more to do with a rumour that was circulating not too long ago about a 'Certain Large Developer' coming over to the PS3/PSN after certain considerations were accounted for.

0 Kudos

/16

Ben_Eaglesfield

72%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ben_Eaglesfield
Accepted Solution

Danlisa wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

Agreed.

I think this has more to do with a rumour that was circulating not too long ago about a 'Certain Large Developer' coming over to the PS3/PSN after certain considerations were accounted for.

What large developer was this? :smileysurprised:

actually my mistake, i thought this might already be known, wasnt sure if everyone knew or you were just quoting :P

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Ben_Eaglesfield

72%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ben_Eaglesfield
Accepted Solution

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

This ^

I believe the XBox 360 runs this way, though im not too sure.
It just gets me how making 2 seperate activation limits would surely require 2 seperate deactivations, to ensure you can use all of your purchases on the 5 PS3's, but then just the 2 PS3's could be mixed and matched or whatever

0 Kudos

/16

Firefox2000

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Firefox2000
Accepted Solution

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

^^^BINGO!!!

I have supported Sony on many of its stuff in the past few years but this move is simply ridicules, and the straw that's broke the camels back for me, this along with one time codes BS has been enough to push me from consoles back to the PC.

Their loss.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

SpankyUK

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SpankyUK
Accepted Solution

Firefox2000 wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

^^^BINGO!!!

I have supported Sony on many of its stuff in the past few years but this move is simply ridicules, and the straw that's broke the camels back for me, this along with one time codes BS has been enough to push me from consoles back to the PC.

Their loss.

Don't forget to deactivate your PS3 on the way out then ;)

0 Kudos

/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution
Hardly Sony or the PS3's fault though? DRM is a killer on pretty much all platforms.
0 Kudos

/16

Ben_Eaglesfield

72%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ben_Eaglesfield
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:
Hardly Sony or the PS3's fault though? DRM is a killer on pretty much all platforms.

I disagree

It isn't Sony's fault, but inherently an issue they created themselves.
If they'd said to begin with from launch

"You may use all purchases and download them an unlimited number of times, on upto 2 of each console"

That wouldve been fine

But i spent several weeks deliberating whether to buy a 3rd PS3 for my girlfriends house for the exact reason i'd be able to use upto five with no worries.

I dont like buying things, in this case paying for them, and worrying about if ill be able to use it as intended.

The fact is, Sony have turned around several times, and given thinly veiled excuses for changes in Terms & Conditions, and roughly hashed together excuses as to why things have gone wrong, how it isnt necessarily there fault and that theyre sorry. (PSN Hack, this situation etc; even when it came to claiming the welcome back pack they stiffed us with games we practically all had)

I had a friend once who had his PSP stolen, the theives gained access to his account because he didnt know how to change his password online, he instead called their customer service within 15 minutes.

By the time the whole situation was resolved (2 months) the thief had accessed his PSN and bought hundreds of pounds worth of items, to which they essentially told him "no refunds, but maybe you should buy the corresponding games so you too can use the items"

Atleast he got to keep his account and the other PSP was deactivated, so he can keep his even more diminished stock of activations, but still.

So yeah, in terms of Sony caring about the dolla dolla more than the customers, I wouldn't argue with that.

0 Kudos

/16

shawty1984

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shawty1984
Accepted Solution

Ben_Eaglesfield wrote:

frodouk wrote:

I disagree

It isn't Sony's fault, but inherently an issue they created themselves.
If they'd said to begin with from launch

"You may use all purchases and download them an unlimited number of times, on upto 2 of each console"

That wouldve been fine

But i spent several weeks deliberating whether to buy a 3rd PS3 for my girlfriends house for the exact reason i'd be able to use upto five with no worries.

I dont like buying things, in this case paying for them, and worrying about if ill be able to use it as intended.

The fact is, Sony have turned around several times, and given thinly veiled excuses for changes in Terms & Conditions, and roughly hashed together excuses as to why things have gone wrong, how it isnt necessarily there fault and that theyre sorry. (PSN Hack, this situation etc; even when it came to claiming the welcome back pack they stiffed us with games we practically all had)

I had a friend once who had his PSP stolen, the theives gained access to his account because he didnt know how to change his password online, he instead called their customer service within 15 minutes.

By the time the whole situation was resolved (2 months) the thief had accessed his PSN and bought hundreds of pounds worth of items, to which they essentially told him "no refunds, but maybe you should buy the corresponding games so you too can use the items"

Atleast he got to keep his account and the other PSP was deactivated, so he can keep his even more diminished stock of activations, but still.

So yeah, in terms of Sony caring about the dolla dolla more than the customers, I wouldn't argue with that.

It's really got nothing to do with Sony. All Sony have done is given everyone what they were crying out for, a more open platform. But again, as many times before it shows, as humans we can not be trusted so the many good ones have to lose out because of the bad ones. Sony are a business, they are there to make as much money as possible, they not only have to keep us happy, but the people that develop for them. Yeah, as customers to Sony, it is crappy, but it's not really Sony's fault.

0 Kudos

/16

etd1312

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
etd1312
Accepted Solution
whoaaaaa what R U sayin I dont understand you comment me!!!
0 Kudos

etd1312 is me good at MRC
/16

zinep

85%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
zinep
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:

"People don't kill people, guns kill people!"

0 Kudos

/16

xx_Tooms109_xx

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xx_Tooms109_xx
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:

But the ps3s could be much more user friendly.And CAPCOM should be shot for their DRM ...End of.

Not the worst DRM,that crown goes to the Wii.

Why not let users just use their content when they are signed in?.Thus allowing them to use their content on any machine.?

Not only would this stop gamesharing,it would be great for the consumer as well.

And why they are at it,why not let them back up their PSN ID to removable media or " the cloud".So that they can move their account?

The biggest pain in the backside with DRM on the ps3 is-.

1.Copy protected save files - Completly pointless and of no use to the user.the only thing these things cause are problems when machines fail.

2.The ability to put the  HDD into another ps3 AND KEEP ALL YOUR CONTENT - Thus avoiding months of downloading your content again (happend to me - Over 100 PSN games & addons).

I cant see this being an issue as long as your signed into your account.Ive had other machines fail (not going into it again) ...And all i did was plonk the hard-drive onto the new machine .....SIMPLE!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Ben_Eaglesfield

72%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ben_Eaglesfield
Accepted Solution

xx_Tooms109_xx wrote:

frodouk wrote:

But the ps3s could be much more user friendly.And CAPCOM should be shot for their DRM ...End of.

Why not let users just use their content when they are signed in?.Thus allowing them to use their content on any machine.?

Not only would this stop gamesharing,it would be great for the consumer as well.

And why they are at it,why not let them back up their PSN ID to removable media or " the cloud".So that they can move their account?

1.Copy protected save files - Completly pointless and of no use to the user.the only thing these things cause are problems when machines fail.

2.The ability to put the  HDD into another ps3 AND KEEP ALL YOUR CONTENT - Thus avoiding months of downloading your content again (happend to me - Over 100 PSN games & addons).

I cant see this being an issue as long as your signed into your account.Ive had other machines fail (not going into it again) ...And all i did was plonk the hard-drive onto the new machine .....SIMPLE!

Its a pretty good system

the killer for me is the PSP

"This is a list of PlayStation Portable games that support the gamesharing feature. This feature allows you to share a portion of your game with a friend, without the need of another disc."

So, i download some PS3 DLC such as Resident Evil 5's multiplayer (this is only a portion of the games disc content, which is locked, as he article above states.) I am unable to legally share this without breaking T's & C's

I pop a copy of Portable Ops, or MediEvil into my PSP and am actually asked by the game if i'd like to GameShare, and to top it off the other person doesnt even need a copy of the game!

Not exactly the same thing, but interesting isnt it? 

0 Kudos

/16

Godz_Mercenary

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Godz_Mercenary
Accepted Solution

Could be a sign from the heavens to spend more time with your girlfriend when round hers and not on the PS3

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was at the alien Hot Point washing machine orgy.
/16

Ben_Eaglesfield

72%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ben_Eaglesfield
Accepted Solution
We co-op on Black Ops/WaW Zombies, and she enjoys a good marathon of PvZ!
But yeah, i can appreciate that there may be some mysticism involved somewhere along the lines :P
0 Kudos

/16

lair360

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lair360
Accepted Solution

xx_Tooms109_xx wrote:

frodouk wrote:

Atleast somebody got the BIG picture and it's best if everything is locked to the user PSN ID.

For example, if the current PS3 fail to boot due to YLOD, then the user could take out their HDD and transfer it to their new PS3. After that, all they have to do is boot-up, log-in and allow the account to automatically deactivate your previous PS3 and transfer the activation to their new console. However, if the user's account is different... reformat the **** SYSTEN!

Oh yeah, all data + DLC will not WORK if the user hasn't log-in and allow the system to transfer activation and permission. If the user couldn't be bothered... same goes with the system reformat.

Sony, you seriously need to recruit some smart-ass and group them as a team. From the looks of it, you don't have much staff that is creative and smart enough to even think the meaning of SIMPLICITY for consumer!

YOU FAIL SONY!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
-------------------------------------------
Lair360 Product Reviews, Unboxing & Tutorials: Click Here
My Youtube Channel: Click Here
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

This is a major issue which mainly affects people who have had too many PS3s YLOD. So as it stands; the new SEN website that has the option of activating/deactivating consoles, only works for games and nothing else. This website + all the options should've been available prior to the Playstation 3 launch. The idea for the Sony business not to have a back up plan is ludicrous, when you have a product which fails on average 12-18 months. People have already proven that they'll go back to your console even if their previous PS3 broke. So stop downgrading your services before the online back up plan is completed.

Also what I wanna know is; who created this function anyway. It's horrific... cos' the original PlayStation didn't have it nor did the PlayStation 2. I have never known a company to stop people buying their own products by saying how many consoles/software we're allowed to have. 

your New tag line for the Sony advert should be "We're Sony...Don't buy our products"

0 Kudos

To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance
Beta Tester
/16

DRAZiC80

• Beta Tester
94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DRAZiC80
Accepted Solution

TalllPaul wrote:
You can only deactivate once every six months though?

I can see this being a problem for people like me that use CP and have the old 60gig release model as sometimes the refurbs don't last 6 months in fact i've had one refurb dead on delivery! I guess we'll have to phone Sony and get them to do it in that situation.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
 photo DRAZiC80ForumSigNovember2013OPC_zpsddb629ca.png
/16

Iyonix

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iyonix
Accepted Solution
The change only applies to content bought from now on, previous content still has the 5 activation limit.

You can deactivate all systems via the Qriocity website every 6 months. I believe you can re/deactivate from the devices themselves as often as you want.

I understand it's up to 2 activations for PS3 and up to 2 for PSP, 4 units in total.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel