84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Controllers won't sync

15 Replies 20,926 Views Created 16-11-2010

Got home tonight and put TV on, playTV was aleady on so I picked up the BD remote, nothing, thought it might be the batteries, so changed them, still nothing. So I get my sixaxis, turn it on the lights flash for a bit then it turns off, so I think maybe it needs charging, so I plug in in lights flash, I press the PS button, it goes on. leave it a bit then unplug it, it goes off!, I try turning on a move contoller, it flashes for ages then goes off. Look up problem on internet, tried resetting contollers still the same, tried doing a restore default settings but that didn't help. I'm currently backing up my ps3 to do a "restore ps3 system" in the morning

has anyone had this problem, do I really need to restore to factory settings?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Squidooer

98%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Squidooer
Accepted Solution

Have you tried doing a hard reset, ie completely powering off your PS3 at the mains?

0 Kudos

Re: Controllers won't sync

/16

WikidEvilGenius

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WikidEvilGenius
Accepted Solution

Doing a hard reset for the controllers can sometimes be a bit tricky.

1) make sure the PS3 is on standby

2) connect the controller via the USB cable

2) hold down the reset button for a few seconds until the lights flash

3) press the PS button which will also boot up the PS3

I have done this a number of times on one occasion before I could get it to work.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lfcrule1972
Accepted Solution
This hasn't happened to me but yesterday I read a very similar post on the forum where controllers etc wouldn't sync. Ah here it is - http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/What-s-up-with-my-PS3/m-p/11...
0 Kudos

/16

dgaunt

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dgaunt
Accepted Solution

I read that, I have tried turning my ps3 off completely but that didn't work, I did a full system restore which also didn't work. I did notice that the full  restore doesn't revert the firmware, so its a bit of a lie really. Anyway it looks like I'll have to check the bluetooth connector, don't see how it could have come lose though since my ps3 is never moved. I could cope having to have sixaxis plugged in to play games but it just won't do with Move

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
96%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mont348
Accepted Solution
Try the recovery menu http://faq.en.playstation.com/cgi-bin/scee_gb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?locale=en_GB&p_faqid=4545&...

Try option 3 and repeat then option 4 it might kick the systems drivers back in to get the controllers working again.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lfcrule1972
Accepted Solution

dgaunt wrote:

I read that, I have tried turning my ps3 off completely but that didn't work, I did a full system restore which also didn't work. I did notice that the full  restore doesn't revert the firmware, so its a bit of a lie really. Anyway it looks like I'll have to check the bluetooth connector, don't see how it could have come lose though since my ps3 is never moved. I could cope having to have sixaxis plugged in to play games but it just won't do with Move

If you're good with electronics no worries, if not, carefully follow any dismantling instructions (assuming your warranty has expired) and keep the pieces and screws etc carefully laid out to aid with the re-assembly ;)
0 Kudos

/16

dgaunt

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dgaunt
Accepted Solution

I didn't have to open it up after all, I left the system to restore from the back up I'd made then when i got back it had a message saying unable to complete retore, it does seem to have restored my saved games (most important things!) but nothing else, but then i unplugged the controller and it stayed on. I just had to resync everything and now its working again :D

0 Kudos

/16

TheRealPoofy

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheRealPoofy
Accepted Solution

This just happen to my sisters ps3. Does it format the drive if you hard retort it to default settings?

0 Kudos

Re: Controllers won't synch

/16

dgaunt

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dgaunt
Accepted Solution

This has just happened again, shortly after the last time I got YLOD, this was at beginning of January which I fixed and I;ve not had any problems since then until now. I'm currently backing up to do a restore again. I haven't done anything else, I would prefer not having to do a full reset again. Anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

0 Kudos

/16

dgaunt

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dgaunt
Accepted Solution

Backed up, selected to restore backed up data, got warning about it going to format everything, selected ok. Then it does the format and says press PS button to continue, so I pressed it on the BD remote as a test, and it worked, so just formatting the console worked, I need to get on to sony customer support about this I don't want to have to keep reformatting everytime this happens

0 Kudos

/16

LysdexiC-EnO

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LysdexiC-EnO
Accepted Solution
Count yourself lucky mate. The same thing happened to my brothers 320gb unit 5 months after purchase. Only thing, system restore DID NOT work for him. Neither did the controller restore, different USB cables or even a controller from a completely different machine. Off to Sony and they come back saying that the Bluetooth module packed up. Replacement unit sent out to him 4 weeks later... Is your system under warranty?
0 Kudos

/16

GOODCHILD_114

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GOODCHILD_114
Accepted Solution

you are a absolute legend! for ages i couldn't get it working and i was thinkng about throwing it away. but you saved me. cheers mate i owe you big time :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

/16

brendanf64

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
brendanf64
Accepted Solution

hope it dont happen to me lol

0 Kudos

/16

LiL_KniGhT_147

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LiL_KniGhT_147
Accepted Solution
when I first turn on my ps3 it says please connect usb to control and press ps button.i plug in the usb to the controller and it wont detect it.i tried using the wired controller and it still wont work.i rest the controllers n nothing works...
0 Kudos

/16

SEEKanDESTROY11

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SEEKanDESTROY11
Accepted Solution

For anyone who's contoller won't sync up after resetting and all the other suggestions that won't work.

Here's the solution : You need to buy a new bluetooth board. You can get them pretty cheap on Ebay. Buy a used one for probably around 10 bux. They are very easy to change. Take the top of the ps3 off and it is right there to the left. There's a ribbon cable that connects to the motherboard that pops off very easily, and the antenna from the back of the ps3 that i believe is the wifi antenna. (Phat ps3) 2 or 4 screws depending on which model ps3 you have. I had the same issue with my 40 g phat ps3, i tried everything and luckily i had a spare bluetooth board and switched it out and BAM!!! worked like a charm.   You can find plenty of Videos on youtube that show you how to take the ps3 apart. Good Luck!!!

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel