Problem Solved

View Original Post
20 Jul 2008
By seelenkrieger

seelenkrieger

60%
02 Rank
Progress

Customizable game controls at the firmware level for PS3?

55 Replies 1,284 Views Created 20-07-2008
20 Jul 2008
By seelenkrieger

Hello,

Metal Gear Solid would have been a great reason for me to buy a PS3 but I was yet again disappointed to learn that this games as lots of other games on PS3 don't have a southpaw control scheme (www.alt-controls.com/ps3-control-list). What I mean by southpaw controls is that you can move your character by the right analog stick and target with the left analog stick.

People using a PC to play games don't have to ask this question as they are able to customize their controls to their needs. I don't think it would require a lot of effort to develop such custom controls at the firmware level for a console like the PS3.

Not only southpaw, legacy and disabled gamers would profit from such custom controls but also so-called „regular players“ as they could remap the buttons to their taste.

I suggest you have a look at the websites www.alt-controls.com and ablegamers.com to see that there is a real need for customizable controls.

So my question: Would it be possible to develop customizable game controls at the firmware level for the PS3?

I have also started a petition asking for this feature at www.petitiononline.com/ps3alter/petition.html

Greetings,

seelenkrieger

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LukasDave

80%
02 Rank
Progress
LukasDave
Accepted Solution

im sure it's something that will be done in future. i know the PSP had a custom firmware (possibley led to official firmware, not sure) with a similar feature where there was an option to swap the 'X' and 'O' buttons around as it just felt better and easier to navigate with.

0 Kudos

Re: Customizable game controls at the firmware level for PS3?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Corynpheus

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Corynpheus
Accepted Solution

LukasDave wrote:

im sure it's something that will be done in future. i know the PSP had a custom firmware (possibley led to official firmware, not sure) with a similar feature where there was an option to swap the 'X' and 'O' buttons around as it just felt better and easier to navigate with.

Yes you're right I remember that ... proves it is easy for them to add.
0 Kudos

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EPIC FAIL SONY NOT PROVIDING SOUTHPAW CONFIGURABLE CONTROL OPTIONS IN THE XMB MENU
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Games franchises I wont be buying in future (approx 400 pounds of pre-orders each version)

Oblivion-Metal Gear Solid-Drake's Uncharted-GTA-Army Of Two-Turok-Battlefield Bad Company-Ratchet and Clank-FEAR

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

BiosNova

• Beta Tester
99%
06 Rank
Progress
BiosNova
Accepted Solution

LukasDave wrote:

That was for people who had imported Japanese PSP's. Since O is the action button in Japan, people could switch it back to X over here because that is what they are used to. As far as i know that is custom firmware only though

Message Edited by BiosNova on 21-07-2008 11:51 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

seelenkrieger

60%
02 Rank
Progress
seelenkrieger
Accepted Solution

BiosNova hat geschrieben:

LukasDave wrote:

That was for people who had imported Japanese PSP's. Since O is the action button in Japan, people could switch it back to X over here because that is what they are used to. As far as i know that is custom firmware only though

Message Edited by BiosNova on 21-07-2008 11:51 AM

I think it is supported in their standard firmware. Have found this information on the web:

PSP received this feature in the 3.95 firmware for the PSone games: "While playing PSone games on your PSP, you can now customize how the buttons are assignedby going to [Controller Settings] > [Assign Buttons] and select
[Custom]."

So Sony knows how to do this. Should be easliy adaptable for the PS3.

0 Kudos

Betreff: Re: Customizable game controls at the firmware level for PS3?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

seelenkrieger

60%
02 Rank
Progress
seelenkrieger
Accepted Solution

Corynpheus hat geschrieben:

If it was a firmware update it guarantees the user will be able to play every game as they prefer. It is quite obvious now many of the games developers dont really care about it. Sony could add millions to their revenues with a simple mod to the firmware.

Would be something very easy to implement and would let it stand apart from the XBOX 360 ;-)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

seelenkrieger

60%
02 Rank
Progress
seelenkrieger
Accepted Solution

LukasDave hat geschrieben:

although i completly agree that it would be a very good idea to configure the buttons yourself i cant see why it should be a firmware update and not a developer issue. surely if it was a firmware fix then you would still need change the buttons in-game anyway?

My idea would be that you would make some configurations.

conf1: inverse the analog sticks & remap button r2 t r1

conf2: remap button l2 to r2

Than you would attribut this configuration to your games:

game1: conf1

game2: conf1

game3: conf1

game4: conf2

game5: conf1

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

seelenkrieger

60%
02 Rank
Progress
seelenkrieger
Accepted Solution

BiosNova hat geschrieben:

Corynpheus wrote:

BiosNova wrote:
I still see this as people trying ot find an excuse why they suck at games, controlls have almost always been the same, as i said i am left handed, the games i play have always had the aiming on the right and movement on the left, i can play the games FINE. If i can you can.

I am now Prestige 8 at COD 4 the best online game there is. You are very wrong about that ... it is no coincidence it has a southpaw config otherwise I would have dropped the game long ago. EPIC FAIL Sony

i can understand you wanting to have left handed controlls to make it better to play games, i do a lot of things right handed eventhough i am left handed. even though left handed controlls were niceyou can still play it "right handed" and get used to eventually

I am left-handed and do almost everything with my left-hand. Maybe because I was nether forced by my parents to use the "good" right hand.

Otherwise I think a lot of people aren't 100% right-handed or left-handed.

I did try this in GRAW on Xbox 360. But after finishing the game, my skills using the right thumb to aim haven't improved.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

seelenkrieger

60%
02 Rank
Progress
seelenkrieger
Accepted Solution

adz2k7 hat geschrieben:

It's not Sony or the PS3 that stopping this from happening, it's the developers, so a firmware update would be useless because the games aren't programmed to have different controller layouts.

-Ad- 

You can easily remap button presses at the firmware level.Just intercept the system call and redirect it to another system call.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

seelenkrieger

60%
02 Rank
Progress
seelenkrieger
Accepted Solution

Corynpheus hat geschrieben:

Devilater wrote:
Well you can change the buttons over in oblivion, your left handed right but i have friends who are left hanaded and they don't have problem with controls, so deal with it.

I wasnt aware you could change the buttons in Oblivion .. are you sure I thought I checked and you couldnt? A game I would love to play with an accurate aim.
This is crazy in a game where you can pick the colour and style of your characters eyebrows ... unbelievable .. hope you are right.
Message Edited by Corynpheus on 20-07-2008 09:45 PM

I did play the XBOX 360 version of Oblivion and there you can change to southpaw mode by chosing the left-handed mode in the "firmware" menu. Was indeed my first game on XBOX 360. Second game was GRAW and I was surprised the game didn't bother to consider my setting in the firmware.

Oblivion on PS3 is another matter, I think they have left out the southpaw mode there.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Devilater

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Devilater
Accepted Solution

Corynpheus wrote:

Devilater wrote:
Well you can change the buttons over in oblivion, your left handed right but i have friends who are left hanaded and they don't have problem with controls, so deal with it.

I wasnt aware you could change the buttons in Oblivion .. are you sure I thought I checked and you couldnt? A game I would love to play with an accurate aim.
This is crazy in a game where you can pick the colour and style of your characters eyebrows ... unbelievable .. hope you are right.
Message Edited by Corynpheus on 20-07-2008 09:45 PM

Yeh, press start an see.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

seelenkrieger

60%
02 Rank
Progress
seelenkrieger
Accepted Solution

Devilater hat geschrieben:

Why should I deal with it if it could be solved by an experienced firmware developper in one day?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ChazDaSpaz

60%
02 Rank
Progress
ChazDaSpaz
Accepted Solution
Practise, practise, practise. You don't really need special controls to play games, I mean, there are left-handed pianists that play piano really well and there are a helluva lot of pieces for the piano that focus on the right hand playing the more difficult part.
0 Kudos

Hi I've just got a PS3 26/07/08 :D Please feel free to add me on PSN, my PSN ID is: ChazDaSpaz.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

seelenkrieger

60%
02 Rank
Progress
seelenkrieger
Accepted Solution

ChazDaSpaz hat geschrieben:
Practise, practise, practise. You don't really need special controls to play games, I mean, there are left-handed pianists that play piano really well and there are a helluva lot of pieces for the piano that focus on the right hand playing the more difficult part.

Playing games is my hobby and not my job ;-)

I want to enjoy playing games and not be frustrated by artificial limitations of the user interface.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

owenp185

93%
04 Rank
Progress
owenp185
Accepted Solution
Well im left handed and I guess it would be helpfull but im used to using normal controls so I probably will play worse if I try using southpaw. Its only pressing buttons and moving analogs its not that hard.
0 Kudos

- - - - - - - - - - - -
www.owenprescott.com
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel