89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Deactivating PS3's remotely

33 Replies 3,222 Views Created 24-03-2009

As you all know, anything that is purchased off the PlayStation Store can be downloaded to 5 PS3 consoles.  If you download a game to a console and then deactivate your account on that console, it frees up one download, that's cool.  However, if your PS3 breaks down you do not have the oppurtunity to get the download back and hence you've kind of 'wasted' one download.  Now I think, that a system should be implemented online whereby you can activate/deactivate your account off  PS3 systems.  That means that this problem will be solved and you will be given a bit of flexibility in determining which consoles your games are played on even if you're not there.  There is currently an area on the PS Store account online thing: https://store.playstation.com/login.gvm which allows you to activate and deactivate PSP's so i don't think it would be difficult to do something similar for PS3's.

Also, randomly, there's a feature on the seetins in account management on the PS3 that doesn't actually work, i noticed this months ago but just remembered now.  A lot of people like to their password saved on thir PS3 user account so that they can log on automatically.  My only gripe with this is the fact that if someone logs on they can go on a mad shopping spree in the PS Store, as my card details are saved.  Now there is a checkbox option somewhere in account management which lets you choose whether or not you are requested to enter your password when you buy attempt to purchase something off the store.

Now the 'dumb' thing here is that say, my bro turns on the PS3 and selects my user, he goes to the store and tries to buy something, he is asked to enter the password.  He doesn't know it, so what does he do??  Simple, exit the store go to account management and uncheck the box for having to enter a password when making a purchase on the store.  He goes back to the store and buys whatever he wants.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Reanimator001

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Reanimator001
Accepted Solution

I just logged in today for the first time to see how many PS3's my GAME account has been active on. Surprisingly, I saw that it's active on 2 systems. I've alway been careful about about reaching the limit. I was expecting to see my account active in only 1 system. I've always made sure I deactivated my account everytime I got a new PS3,  use the Transfer Data Utility, or have my brother create my account on his PS3 to hold onto my copy-protected save incase of a yellow light problem.

I'm wondering about where the 2nd activation came from. I'm assuming that it could be from a time where I had my brother create my account so he could download a PSN game, he forgot to deactivate my account before deleting my USERNAME.  That was a couple years ago, but I always assumed that as long as my brother still had the same PS3 he forgot to deactivate my account from, he could simply just recreate my USERNAME again and then deactivate the account.

Anyways, I want to bring the activation record to only 1 PS3 system, if I were to DEACTIVATE all the accounts today, would I have to wait months just to ACTIVATE it?

Plus I still see people bringing up the 5 number limit, I'm a little confused now about what 5 number limit people refering to. From what I know, the 5 number limit refers to number on PS3s an account can be active at the same time. However, I know that the 5 number limit has now been changed to 2. Since I still see in the previous post that people worry about reaching a some kind of 5 number limit, what 5 number limit are they refereing to? Is it the number of times you can activate an account or is it the number of PS3s you can have an account active at the same time? Somebody please clarify the 5 number limt.

For example, if I were to reach getting my 6th new PS3 due to yellow light failure, and managed to DEACTIVATE my account for every PS3 that died, will I still be able to ACTIVATE my account on my 6th PS3 for the 6th time?

0 Kudos

Re: Deactivating PS3's remotely

/16

mikevolvos40t4

32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mikevolvos40t4
Accepted Solution

log in to https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/cam/devices/device-media-list.action you can deactivate all the ps3s from there this will not deactivate the videos but it will on the games

this can only be done every 6months

enjoy:Thumbs:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

boppinblue

75%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
boppinblue
Accepted Solution

only all? not selected ones?

0 Kudos

/16

mikevolvos40t4

32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mikevolvos40t4
Accepted Solution

yep it will deactivate all

but you can reactivate anyone of them that you have deactivated on your ps3

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

KyRo_08

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KyRo_08
Accepted Solution

mikevolvos40t4 wrote:

log in to https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/cam/devices/device-media-list.action you can deactivate all the ps3s from there this will not deactivate the videos but it will on the games

this can only be done every 6months

enjoy:Thumbs:

Thanks for this but I'm slightly confused by it all. I'm one of the unlucky souls on my fith PS3 and I'm slightly concerned that if another breaks I'll lose everything as all my 5 activations would have been used up?

I followed that link, signed in and deactivated the games section which in the box said it was being used on 5 consoles like it should of. So does that now mean that if I am that unfortanate to have to get a sixth PS3 that I'll be able to to keep using my account or will I still have to phone Sony in the hope that they'll deactivate them from their end?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
97%
15 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution
I think (in my opinion) that you can only DEACTIVATE once every six months using that system. Activating shouldn't be a problem.
0 Kudos

/16

mikevolvos40t4

32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mikevolvos40t4
Accepted Solution

reactivating a new or a old ps3 or one you have just deactivated works fine

i have done this with mine and have activated one ps3 so still have 4 left

if you  activate a friends ps3 deactivate it when you go home cuz if you dont and he/her sell it or it dies you will need to wait 6 months and who ever has got the ps3 will play any game that you payed for for free

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

mikevolvos40t4

32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mikevolvos40t4
Accepted Solution
yes it will start at one so you have 4 left
0 Kudos

/16

Nathan-UFC

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nathan-UFC
Accepted Solution

ok i have 5 ps3's activated now i have tried deactiviting them on this website but it isnt letting me..its telling me i can only do it on the PS3 systems they are activated on.......why wont it let me deactivate any? if anyone knows please let me know!

0 Kudos

/16

Reanimator001

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Reanimator001
Accepted Solution

Nathan-UFC wrote:

ok i have 5 ps3's activated now i have tried deactiviting them on this website but it isnt letting me..its telling me i can only do it on the PS3 systems they are activated on.......why wont it let me deactivate any? if anyone knows please let me know!

I'm still waiting for people to kindly answer my questions. I'm still afraid to try this thing out. But I'm must ask you, do you live outside of USA. I've read that it the ability to deactivate a console remotely  works only in the U.S. I can't be sure, that's why I still haven't tried this feature, no one has answered my questions.

0 Kudos

/16

trubadman

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
trubadman
Accepted Solution

Plugpin wrote:

Gotoxy-90 wrote:
There should be a way to deactivate your PS3 form a PC.

The list of your activated PS3 could be the name of the PS3 that you enter in the 'System Settings' on the XMB.
So you can have a "Livingroom PS3" and a "Bedroom PS3" activated which show up on the PS3 and you can easily determine which one needs to be deactivated.

Now I get it...

But I don't get why you'd want to deactivate a PS3... do you mean like write off completly so it can't be turned on again or just switch it off? 

By deactivate a PS3, i mean deactivate your account on the PS3.  This is nothing major, it basically means that any content you downloaded off the store cannot be played on that console, however if you reactivate you can.  So say you had a game downloaded on 5 consoles and you wanted to download it on a 6th one you'd have to deactivate your account off one of thoe 5 consoles. 

I understand that you might be a bit confused about the second bit of my post.  But basically what i'm saying is that if your user is set to log on automatically and your card details are on the account, then anyone can buy stuff off the store on your account, even if you have the setting which makes you enter a passsword before you buy.  This is because you don't need a password to uncheck the setting, you simply need to be logged on the account (and obviously you will be if the account is set to log on automatically.)

0 Kudos

/16

Plugpin

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Plugpin
Accepted Solution

trubadman wrote:

Plugpin wrote:

Gotoxy-90 wrote:
There should be a way to deactivate your PS3 form a PC.

The list of your activated PS3 could be the name of the PS3 that you enter in the 'System Settings' on the XMB.
So you can have a "Livingroom PS3" and a "Bedroom PS3" activated which show up on the PS3 and you can easily determine which one needs to be deactivated.

Now I get it...

But I don't get why you'd want to deactivate a PS3... do you mean like write off completly so it can't be turned on again or just switch it off? 

By deactivate a PS3, i mean deactivate your account on the PS3.  This is nothing major, it basically means that any content you downloaded off the store cannot be played on that console, however if you reactivate you can.  So say you had a game downloaded on 5 consoles and you wanted to download it on a 6th one you'd have to deactivate your account off one of thoe 5 consoles. 

I understand that you might be a bit confused about the second bit of my post.  But basically what i'm saying is that if your user is set to log on automatically and your card details are on the account, then anyone can buy stuff off the store on your account, even if you have the setting which makes you enter a passsword before you buy.  This is because you don't need a password to uncheck the setting, you simply need to be logged on the account (and obviously you will be if the account is set to log on automatically.)

Ahhhhhh OK!
I get it now lol. Yes this is a good idea.
Wonderful what a good coffee can do, it makes much more sense to me now lol.
0 Kudos

SPLITTERS!!JOIN THE REVOLUCION
/16

Useless_At_It

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Useless_At_It
Accepted Solution
trubadman, if you go to this address, https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action;jsessionid=E981BE1293EE48CA0844BB010A6F31D... there is an option under account settings to set a password. This will have to be entered when checking out at the PS tore. So even if some one unchecks the enter password box, they will get no where without the pin/second password you've set on line, I haven't looked yet, however, this may be an option under account management on the PS3.
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel