04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Defence Secretary in call to ban 'tasteless' new MOH

[ Edited ]
145 Replies 1,497 Views edited 22-08-2010

Defence Secretary Liam Fox has slammed a computer game which allows players to kill British troops as a Taliban insurgent as 'tasteless'.

Mr Fox called for the game to be banned and said the idea of recreating Taliban attacks on allied soldiers was disgusting.

'I am disgusted and angry. It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game.

'I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product.'

Linky: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305164/Medal-Honour-Liam-Fox-outraged-video-game-play-Talib...

But the thousands of games that have gone before where you kill other nationalities are fine, I presume? :/

0 Kudos
LABELS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/JakeT111x
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

emw80

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
emw80
Accepted Solution

What should be questioned is the defence secretarys job, not the content of a make belief game, i mean if he has time to devote to this non issue then looks like he is not the man to be in that job as defence secretary,

i'd like to think that job is serious enough to NOT have any time to spend on moaning about this game.

0 Kudos

Re: Defence Secretary in call to ban 'tasteless' new MOH

/16

bobbycuckoo

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bobbycuckoo
Accepted Solution

People, if u feel bad playin as the taliban, just imagine that its the 80's, when the brave taliban freedom fighters (trained and armed by U.S. and G.B.) were defending their homes from the 'evil' russian invaders.... Lets be honest the soldiers of either side are rarely evil, they are fightin for what they believe to be right from their point of view.

Political or religeous leaders on the other hand........

All games where u kill 'virtual' people could be described as bad taste, but they are not real people.

Anyway  what about zombies do they not have rights too, and how many of them have you mowed down in the name of freedom.

0 Kudos

"Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day."
/16

CAL1973

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CAL1973
Accepted Solution

You have never been to see if any of what you claim is true, your truth is based upon what you have been told. I do not side with nor hate anyone, I just see the effect all of there actions have on us all. They/we all die at the hands of decisions made by those who we entrust with the power to do so i.e. Politicians and soldiers. In one post you state that the U.S. may kill civilians put in there way as defense by terrorists, then say terrorists strap explosives to civilians, neither is right or correct, it's innocent life being laid to waste for one or the others ideals/beliefs. I stand in the middle my friend looking at all the idiousy. Like I said, where'd they get the weapons, where were the WMD's, we were not asked to invade, if you paid attention to the news you so readily refer to you would know. Do you know what the Chilcot Enquiry is about, that is not conspiracy! Now I don't see where you could possibly misconstrue me as being offensive, yes my views may be different to yours and I may have found it a little bewildering that you as a Bruce Lee fan have the views you have, I may even be wrong, but offensive NO!!

http://www.waltsdorsai.net/damo.htm

0 Kudos

/16

Iluvatare

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iluvatare
Accepted Solution

CAL1973 wrote:

You have never been to see if any of what you claim is true, your truth is based upon what you have been told. I do not side with nor hate anyone, I just see the effect all of there actions have on us all. They/we all die at the hands of decisions made by those who we entrust with the power to do so i.e. Politicians and soldiers. In one post you state that the U.S. may kill civilians put in there way as defense by terrorists, then say terrorists strap explosives to civilians, neither is right or correct, it's innocent life being laid to waste for one or the others ideals/beliefs. I stand in the middle my friend looking at all the idiousy. Like I said, where'd they get the weapons, where were the WMD's, we were not asked to invade, if you paid attention to the news you so readily refer to you would know. Do you know what the Chilcot Enquiry is about, that is not conspiracy! Now I don't see where you could possibly misconstrue me as being offensive, yes my views may be different to yours and I may have found it a little bewildering that you as a Bruce Lee fan have the views you have, I may even be wrong, but offensive NO!!

http://www.waltsdorsai.net/damo.htm

Oooopss, just read this - okay I agree let's chill out a bit here - I agree with 'it's innocent life being laid to waste for one or the others ideals/beliefs' a lot. Most of the wepaons that the Taliban, etc. have are form the former USSR (by the way - AK47 isn't American, for instance)...

We all have opinions - I think we all fundamentally agree that terrorism isn't good. I think it is good that we talk about countries and the world deals with this. But I also think that it has to be hard-line, I don't think you can negotaite with fanatics at all.

0 Kudos

/16

Iluvatare

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iluvatare
Accepted Solution

Iluvatare wrote:

CAL1973 wrote:

Rather unenlightened for someone with a Bruce Lee avatar and a yin/yang symbol in their sig, have you ever read The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, I think you would find alot of your hero's beliefs are contrary to your own not that they shouldn't be ofcourse.

By the way the Shaolin Monk's did not create Kung Fu, it was taught to them by an Indian Traveller who practiced Kalarippayattu, then over centuries became Kung Fu. For DEFENSIVE purposes.

I feel I'd be wasting my time trying to re-iterate all I wrote before, but to have such one sided, media driven/proven views in this day and age is slightly worrying. Do you honestly think these people tell you the truth. As for the U.S. big tree, small axe.

As a Bruce Lee fan you should know 1 of the heaviest ideals in Jeet Kune Do is to never over or under estimate your enemy, Totallity is about being ready for anything, no preparation, just there in that place all the time. For the greater part, the U.S. is a bully, over-prepared, over-reactive and over-bearing. They're dragging all their allies into a war they can't fight, any opressed people who stand up against them are trampled over like ants, this is breeding more hate in any sect that feels threatened, fuel to the flames, you can kill as many people as you want but you'll never kill right and wrong.

Still just a Game though. :smileywink:

You are so wrong about Bruce Lee and the philosophy that he wrote about - I think you need to read it all again and learn - a fight is just a fight. Don't attempt to make terrorists into something they are not - they are still small in number, relatively badly armed and prey on innocents (because largely they are too afraid to fight armed forces). As for the US - huge axes, nothing to do with trees - more weaponry and firepower than has ever been seen on this earth. You call them Bullies? So what are terrorists then? Peace-loving, free minded individuals who just happen to strap explosives to children by mistake?

Your talking absolute arse. And NO, the chinese were never taught any form of martial arts from india, they're civilization predates Indian civilization by a very long way. Yes, the monks developed Kung fu for defence, but it was also a method to kill the enemy - it was only defensive in its strategy because they did not have the same technology as their attackers.

Your hatred of the US really shows the ignorance you have of the world in general, there is absolutely no reason to hate the US. For the record, most nations on earth have been bullies and have caused harm to others. I am glad the US is what it is and I am glad that it is actively seeking and killing members of the Taliban and other terrorist organizations.

If you want to side with the terrorist ideology because your gullible enough to belive in some media driven conspiracy theories, that is your problem - the reality of the world is different.

Also, how dare you get personal? You do not know me - so your assuming , as you have done with everything else you have written, things about me - you don't know how I think and what I know. So you have nothing to basis that judgement on.

Basically your talking the popular ignorant stand-point that the US are the bad guys and the poor terrorists are getting hard-done-by....

To add to the above: Bruce Lee's 'Tao of Jeet Kun do' is not a finshed piece of work - it is a collection of ideas and writings that he had done, it was never finished and it was never a guide to anything, it was just a record of his thoughts and ideas.

Bruce Lee, Martial arts and the Oriental Philosophy have one important underlying ideology - that is called 'Honour'. Since terrorists do not have any honour, Bruce Lee would have been as determined as any sane, thinking, individual is; to do as much as is possible to eradicate them.

You talk about right and wrong at the end - there is a fundamnetal choice to be made here - Do you agree with terrorism or do you not? I do not. The way that you are writing, I can only conclude that you do - if you do not also, how would you go about stopping it? - peace talks, perhaps?!! :Shame:

0 Kudos

/16

Iluvatare

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iluvatare
Accepted Solution

Iluvatare wrote:

CAL1973 wrote:

Rather unenlightened for someone with a Bruce Lee avatar and a yin/yang symbol in their sig, have you ever read The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, I think you would find alot of your hero's beliefs are contrary to your own not that they shouldn't be ofcourse.

By the way the Shaolin Monk's did not create Kung Fu, it was taught to them by an Indian Traveller who practiced Kalarippayattu, then over centuries became Kung Fu. For DEFENSIVE purposes.

I feel I'd be wasting my time trying to re-iterate all I wrote before, but to have such one sided, media driven/proven views in this day and age is slightly worrying. Do you honestly think these people tell you the truth. As for the U.S. big tree, small axe.

As a Bruce Lee fan you should know 1 of the heaviest ideals in Jeet Kune Do is to never over or under estimate your enemy, Totallity is about being ready for anything, no preparation, just there in that place all the time. For the greater part, the U.S. is a bully, over-prepared, over-reactive and over-bearing. They're dragging all their allies into a war they can't fight, any opressed people who stand up against them are trampled over like ants, this is breeding more hate in any sect that feels threatened, fuel to the flames, you can kill as many people as you want but you'll never kill right and wrong.

You are so wrong about Bruce Lee and the philosophy that he wrote about - I think you need to read it all again and learn - a fight is just a fight. Don't attempt to make terrorists into something they are not - they are still small in number, relatively badly armed and prey on innocents (because largely they are too afraid to fight armed forces). As for the US - huge axes, nothing to do with trees - more weaponry and firepower than has ever been seen on this earth. You call them Bullies? So what are terrorists then? Peace-loving, free minded individuals who just happen to strap explosives to children by mistake?

Your talking absolute arse. And NO, the chinese were never taught any form of martial arts from india, they're civilization predates Indian civilization by a very long way. Yes, the monks developed Kung fu for defence, but it was also a method to kill the enemy - it was only defensive in its strategy because they did not have the same technology as their attackers.

Your hatred of the US really shows the ignorance you have of the world in general, there is absolutely no reason to hate the US. For the record, most nations on earth have been bullies and have caused harm to others. I am glad the US is what it is and I am glad that it is actively seeking and killing members of the Taliban and other terrorist organizations.

If you want to side with the terrorist ideology because your gullible enough to belive in some media driven conspiracy theories, that is your problem - the reality of the world is different.

Also, how dare you get personal? You do not know me - so your assuming , as you have done with everything else you have written, things about me - you don't know how I think and what I know. So you have nothing to basis that judgement on.

Basically your talking the popular ignorant stand-point that the US are the bad guys and the poor terrorists are getting hard-done-by....

Not that I need to defend the history of the Martial Arts, but here is a good link for those of you interested in its origins:

History of Kung Fu

And the name of the Indian buddist, and Budism originates from Tibet (formerly China) and then was involved with the Shaolin's is 'Bodhidarma.'

The Shaolin's, were also pro-active fighters - they actively sought combat to eradicate bandits (terrorists); their tactics, again, would have been largely based around defensive and counter- strike methods (as you will find if you study Kung Fu in the old tradition).

Back to Bruce Lee, it is wrong to think of his attacking method as defensive. He had exceptional speed and reactions; and was able to develop his own style of fighting that relies on  the ability to be able to strike an oponent as they are attemtping to strike you. This is extremely difficult to pull off, it requires years and years of intuitve training (remember he was already a master of wing chun beofe he began to develop his own style and approach).

There is a quote from him that I still remember to day (as close to word to word as I can remember):

"If you are prepared to bruise me, I will break your bones. If you break my bones, I will take your life."

In essence he meant, don't take bluffs from anybody and ultimately to have true freedom, you should be prepared to sacrifice your life.

0 Kudos

/16

Keifski

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Keifski
Accepted Solution

CAL1973 wrote:

Ok .... You have made me very very mad here so i will try and be as carm as possiblr. How dare you say we are being dragged into a war we cant fight ...... DO YOU KNOW ANYONE OUT THERE ....... ask any British service personall and they will tell you that it is extreamaly winnable.

and wat r you on about trampled like ants .......... They aernt ants , they are the TALIBAN YOU FECKING IDIOT. THEY LAY LANDMINES , TRY TO SHOOT DO APACHES AND CHINOOKS WITH RPG'S AND THREATEN TO SKIN ALIVE ANY COALITION SOIDLER THEY CAPTURE.

AND ALSO EARLIER YOU POSTED ABOUT BELIVING WHAT YOU ARE BEING TOLD ABOUT THE TALIBAN

ASK THE YOUNG SOILDERS IN BODY BAGS

***** LIKE YOU SHOULD BE LOCKED AWAY , OR ACTUALLY NO , LETS SEND U TO THE FRONT LINES IN AFGHANASTAN AND SEE HOW LONG YOU LAST

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

geestar71

• Beta Tester
80%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
geestar71
Accepted Solution

Blimey, turn it down peeps hey? This thread started with a bit of observation from a man who probably has no concept of playing modern console games. It has now decended into a heated argument over the validity of war and terrorism.

In before the lock :)

0 Kudos

/16

Philip99

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Philip99
Accepted Solution

I don't get my pwnage, fski, please explain it to me. If I was even pwned at all.

As for the continuing point that the Defence Minister isn't likely to play many videogames - I don't know much about Thai new wave cinema, but if they made a film consisting of babies being killed, I'd pretty much assume, regardless of my ignorance of Thai new wave cinema, that it was probably a film that shouldn't have been made and should be banned.

I just chose "Thai" at random. I'm not accusing anyone.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

Philip99 wrote:

I don't get my pwnage, fski, please explain it to me. If I was even pwned at all.

You mean explain it to you like you're a 12 year old?

I didn't set out to 'pwn' you, others perceived it as such and that's their prerogative. If you think your post was a fair assessment of the forum so be it, I simply beg to differ.

0 Kudos

/16

Keifski

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Keifski
Accepted Solution

tbh i think the thead should be locked now anywaz ..... its got so tasteless im glad some of these idiots havnt met a soilder before .... i pity them if they ever do

0 Kudos

/16

WhiteAlexander

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WhiteAlexander
Accepted Solution
"I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."

The same armed forces that helped with the development of the game?

Muppet.
0 Kudos

/16

BigMoab

88%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BigMoab
Accepted Solution

I kind of agree what Andy McNab has said, WW2 was a long time ago and we won that war and even the germans dont want to play the germans lol, This Afghanistan war is still going on and there is young men dieing nearly everyday and to play a game whilst this is happening is kind of disrespectful to our troops. On the other hand sometimes we have to look at it from the enemies perspective. Every game we as the allies kill the axis and its never to other way around unless it online. But yes, playing a game thats set in todays war thats being fought today i think its disrespectful to kill British troops especially as taliban because lets face it, there not very good lol and we are well trained so to be killed the way the british are in the game is very fictional indeed.

0 Kudos

photo C-47DakotaSig1_zpsfa53741c.jpg
/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution
This still being discussed?

It's a game!! you could quite easily put any FPS into this environment and be made to think it was us versus the Taliban. It's no different to any other game that has 'baddies' running around with rags on their heads.
0 Kudos

MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
97%
14 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
castaway666
Accepted Solution
exactly.

We could have pretty much any member with eastern european, middle eastern etc.. ties complaining the same thing. Just pretend they're evil zombie british army in the game, we'll all sleep better then.
0 Kudos

/16

spatuluk

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
spatuluk
Accepted Solution

I've killed the allies as Nazis and Russians, so why can't I kill them as Taliban?  Yet more evidence that the Mail and Conservative government are racist!  :Stupid:

0 Kudos

Bring back THE GETAWAY!!
/16

Sjthjs

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sjthjs
Accepted Solution

Has anyone asked any army personnel if they felt offended by the game? This story is a classic example of people getting offended on other people's behalf, usually without asking if the person in question if they are offended

0 Kudos

/16

Hyperguy20

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Hyperguy20
Accepted Solution
MP getting mad at video game to arguing over Bruce Lee.

Only in PS3 GD :D
0 Kudos

/16

ScootaKuH

86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ScootaKuH
Accepted Solution

JakeT111 wrote:

Defence Secretary Liam Fox has slammed a computer game which allows players to kill British troops as a Taliban insurgent as 'tasteless'.

Mr Fox called for the game to be banned and said the idea of recreating Taliban attacks on allied soldiers was disgusting.

'I am disgusted and angry. It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game.

'I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product.'

Linky: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305164/Medal-Honour-Liam-Fox-outraged-video-game-play-Talib...

But the thousands of games that have gone before where you kill other nationalities are fine, I presume? :/

The "Defence Secretary" wants to be keeping his nose out of issues in which he knows absolutely nothing about and, you know, possibly concentrate on the real things that matter such as making sure that the real people out there fighting actually have equipment that is fit for purpose instead of the way below-par crap they're issued with right now.

I'm angered that somebody in his position sees fit to comment on a videogame and yet sends his men out in the real world to do a job that they are ill equipped to do.

He's a joke and seriously needs to learn where his priorities are, and fast.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

mattkan

• Beta Tester
86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mattkan
Accepted Solution

and the govenment are letting A Serbian Film play at londons frightfest uncut. Maybe Liam Fox needs to think about things.

But i must admit, it's an excellent film. Very powerful. And can change people.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

owenp185

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
owenp185
Accepted Solution

What annoys me is that these people wont mind if people play as a British person killing a foreign person but go mad when your able to kill someone who is British? I'm sure there are games set in Britain where a British player can kill other British people so why does it make a difference if its a foreign person lol. What makes this even more stupid is these "people" are not even real, they are 3D models and weren't even born in a country loool. I really don't get why some people choose to see video games as though they are real, its the same old moan with statements like these I don't know why I bother lol.

0 Kudos

- - - - - - - - - - - -
www.owenprescott.com
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel