mishoo_48

22%
02 Rank
Progress

FAT32 and NTFS

32 Replies 24,228 Views Created 15-03-2010
15 Mar 2010
By mishoo_48

Hello, i ve just found out that the ps3 does not recognise the NTFS format, i ve got an external drive which i use to transfer different data from my pc to the ps3, i had to format this external HD into NTFS format so i could transfer a movie of 4Gig knowing that the FAT32 wont allow you to do so when the file is bigger than 3Gig. again, the external HD wont show up on the ps3 menu, just as if it is not plugged.

Can anyone tell me if there is a solution for the ps3 to recognise the NTFS format ? Cheers

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
fski
Accepted Solution

The only solution I know of is to keep the NTFS HDD attached to the PC and streaming the content across your home network using Media sharing (Tversity etc)

0 Kudos

Re: FAT32 and NTFS

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

savill

90%
03 Rank
Progress
savill
Accepted Solution

mishoo_48 wrote:

Hello, i ve just found out that the ps3 does not recognise the NTFS format, i ve got an external drive which i use to transfer different data from my pc to the ps3, i had to format this external HD into NTFS format so i could transfer a movie of 4Gig knowing that the FAT32 wont allow you to do so when the file is bigger than 3Gig. again, the external HD wont show up on the ps3 menu, just as if it is not plugged.

Can anyone tell me if there is a solution for the ps3 to recognise the NTFS format ? Cheers

Sony need to allow us to attach drives in NTFS, i don't quite understand why it doesn't, unless its something to do with Microsoft as NTFS is their prefered format, but saying that can the Xbox cannot read a drive in NTFS.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

RingoSmith

• Beta Tester
86%
03 Rank
Progress
RingoSmith
Accepted Solution

savill wrote:

mishoo_48 wrote:

Sony need to allow us to attach drives in NTFS, i don't quite understand why it doesn't, unless its something to do with Microsoft as NTFS is their prefered format, but saying that can the Xbox cannot read a drive in NTFS.

I am not sure why the Xbox does not read NTFS but as for the PS3, it would involve paying MS some money to licence the tech i thin so not much chance on the horizon.  FSKI's post tell you how to get round the issue. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

T-e-X

• Award Winner
95%
05 Rank
Progress
T-e-X
Accepted Solution
@savill its all about the encryption ... FAT32 is faster .. and thats the key right here... lets say is was NTFS but the response time of the write / read is like 10min do to the encryption
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TheDrift-

64%
02 Rank
Progress
TheDrift-
Accepted Solution
What the file, I'm guessing at over 4 gig its media (film?) You could just break the film in two parts eg 6gb file into two 3gb files, if you name them similarilly one should start after the other so you wont notice the join when watching. Try something like HJ Split. Streaming would be the best solution tho, much less messing around. Or you could try something like psp9 to compress the file to be less than 4gb?
0 Kudos

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

T-e-X

• Award Winner
95%
05 Rank
Progress
T-e-X
Accepted Solution
or simple and clean

PS3 Media Server

PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.
Current features

* Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.
* Real-time video transcoding of MKV/FLV/OGM/AVI, etc.
* Direct streaming of DTS / DTS-HD core to the receiver
* Remux H264/MPEG2 video and all audio tracks to AC3/DTS/LPCM in real time with tsMuxer when H264 is PS3/Level4.1 compliant
* Full seeking support when transcoding
* DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
* OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
* Thumbnail generation for Videos
* You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!
* Simple streaming of formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG)
* Display camera RAWs thumbnails (Canon / Nikon, etc.)
* ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders
* Support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
* Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer
* Podcasts audio/ Video feeds support
* Basic Xbox360 support
* FLAC 96kHz/24bits/5.1 support
* Windows Only: DVR-MS remuxer and AviSynth alternative transcoder support

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

savill

90%
03 Rank
Progress
savill
Accepted Solution

T-e-X wrote:
@savill its all about the encryption ... FAT32 is faster .. and thats the key right here... lets say is was NTFS but the response time of the write / read is like 10min do to the encryption

Thank you T-e-X.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

T-e-X

• Award Winner
95%
05 Rank
Progress
T-e-X
Accepted Solution

np champ :D :)

Towelie: Maybe people will apply the lessons from my memoirs to their own lives!
Publisher: "No, they won't, because they're people, and you're a towel."
Towelie: "You're a towel."

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Simy

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Simy
Accepted Solution

T-e-X wrote:

no offence but, sorry i had to LOL at this.

MS hold the rights to NTFS format, simples. If  you want to use it you have to pay. However their are other open source alternatives which Linux users can use to read & write to NTFS drives, it doesn't have the performance of MS's format , but it does work & for the ps3 the speed reduction should be ok if your just streaming movies or listening to mp3's or whatever. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

NotSafe4Work

92%
02 Rank
Progress
NotSafe4Work
Accepted Solution
It's not just encryption, it has security and indexing too. NTFS was developed waaayyyyyy back when Windows NT appeared to provide a robust and secure file system format for its network OS. it was so good they use in in XP, Vista, 7 etc. They also managed to get over the 4GB file limit that plagued FAT32.

It isn't really about paying rights to MS, it is purely a file system built for a specific purpose i.e for Windows-platform devices. It isn't just PS3 that can't handle it. As mentioned above the XBOX can't either. The same goes for Apple devices, NAS, anything with a USB port.

Until a new FAT32-style format appears we're all stuck with having to stream media. But PS3 reading NTFS is never gonna happen.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Simy

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Simy
Accepted Solution
My NAS device can both read & write NTFS ....
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ianmclaud

20%
02 Rank
Progress
ianmclaud
Accepted Solution

hello there,

but what's with this extFAT that MS now uses too under Windows 7 (didn't recognize it before ;-) ) is there the same problem as with NTFS?

greetz

jan

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jcs1984

90%
03 Rank
Progress
jcs1984
Accepted Solution
Can't it just be formatted to fat32 using swizz knife (think that's what it's called)?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FooFan73

90%
03 Rank
Progress
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

jcs1984 wrote:
Can't it just be formatted to fat32 using swizz knife (think that's what it's called)?

It's Swiss Knife

It could be formatted but that's not the problem the TC has, FAT32 can't handle files over 4GB in size which he wants to transfer

0 Kudos

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

zinep

89%
07 Rank
Progress
zinep
Accepted Solution

T-e-X wrote:

<nitpick>

I doubt the PS3 uses FAT32 internally (for several reasons, not all of which are strictly technical).

But more to the point: The file system is likely unrelated to the encryption. Though one can implement encryption in a filesystem, I think it's rare these days. The encryption is probably done on device level (which automagically allows transparent use of sector number-derived IV's for cbc and the like). Although the encryption/decryption does slow down disk reads/writes, all file systems will have the same performance hit.

</nitpick>

I'd say that the reason the PS3 doesn't use NTFS is not for reasons of inadequate performance (remove the ACL support and who knows what'll happen to the NTFS performance), but rather a combination of:

1) It's bloated (the PS3 does not need ACL's and EA's)

2) It's proprietary and owned by Microsoft (I don't think they are handing out licenses for it).

3) There are no supported free/open source implementations of it.

4) (maybe most importantly) There are other filesystems which are designed to be highly usable without large caches (which is relevant on the PS3), which are also free, well-tested, portable, royalty-free and open source. If I were a betting man, which I am not, my money would be on them having taken some UFS2-derivative and modded it for their needs.

I'm merely speculating, of course. (Except for the part about modern layered design of disk encryption).

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SIRSHEN

34%
02 Rank
Progress
SIRSHEN
Accepted Solution

i have a 64gb Transcend removal disc which is formatted to ntfs and ps3 does not recognise it. i want to back up my data using the removal disk without formating it to fat32. i have done some research and people say i must update the firmware and the removal disk will be recognised. i have downloaded the update many times from different websites but i get the same damn message...i think im stuck in a loop, i have also tried a disc and different removal discs. what must i do NOW...ps3 is ***** ME OFF!!!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

zinep

89%
07 Rank
Progress
zinep
Accepted Solution

SIRSHEN,

Sorry, but you're out of luck. I'm pretty sure the PS3 can't use NTFS, and I doubt it ever will (officially) be able to.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SIRSHEN

34%
02 Rank
Progress
SIRSHEN
Accepted Solution

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/1916073?start=0&tstart=0

That website says it can with the firmware update so my research must be incorrect..Please check out the website and explain if you can... I don't know what to believe

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

afccarl1994

92%
02 Rank
Progress
afccarl1994
Accepted Solution

NTFS-3G is a free open source driver, so that wouldn't be an issue. If they were going to support anything other than FAT32, it would probably be exFAT rather than NTFS.

Though supporting a file system that allows files over 4GB would potentially open the door to ripped games, piracy etc. Which is likely to be why thaey haven't done it. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SIRSHEN

34%
02 Rank
Progress
SIRSHEN