80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Formatting external HDD to FAT32?

16 Replies 721 Views Created 29-08-2007
I have a 250gb external HDD which i only bought to format my computer.
Well now it just has backups on it so i never use it, so i might as well use it with PS3.
Question is, how do i format it to FAT32?
When i right click it in my computer and select a file system, im only allowed NTFS, nothing else is available.

Please reply.
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

SpikyCat

• Beta Tester
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SpikyCat
Accepted Solution
I have a 250gb external HDD which i only bought to format my computer.
Well now it just has backups on it so i never use it, so i might as well use it with PS3.
Question is, how do i format it to FAT32?
When i right click it in my computer and select a file system, im only allowed NTFS, nothing else is available.

Please reply.

If you're using XP then it won't let you format a hard drive over 32GB with anything but NTFS - or what I mean is, WinXP itself won't let you do it. You'll need a third party application (something like PartitionMagic for example) to do it. ;)
0 Kudos

Re: Formatting external HDD to FAT32?

Check out my blog: http://www.spikycat.com/
/16

[dplummer]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[dplummer]
Accepted Solution
check out seagate or maxtor websites they do a good program
0 Kudos

/16

JackDusty

52%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JackDusty
Accepted Solution
If you're using XP then it won't let you format a hard drive over 32GB with anything but NTFS - or what I mean is, WinXP itself won't let you do it. You'll need a third party application (something like PartitionMagic for example) to do it. ;) Not true. You can do this with Windows XP using the disk management tools. Right-click 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. Click on disk management and after it quickly scans you will see the available disks. You need to right click on the external disk and create a partition smaller than 32Gb. Windows will then allow you to format that partition with Fat32. You can then format the rest of the drive with NTFS. The PS3 will see and utilise the Fat32 partition while Windows will be able to use both so you can still use the bigger partition for backing up PC stuff. There is no tool that will let you format the whole drive in Fat32 because the Fat32 file system simply doesn't support partitions over 32Gb Oh, and you will lose all data when creating partitions so make sure there isn't anything you need on there. Once you're done formatting you can pop it back on the NTFS partition
0 Kudos

/16

GChris

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GChris
Accepted Solution
You could also try the Fat32Formatter from this site:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm

If I remember rightly, I used this one when I needed to re-format my external drive.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

SpikyCat

• Beta Tester
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SpikyCat
Accepted Solution
If you're using XP then it won't let you format a hard drive over 32GB with anything but NTFS - or what I mean is, WinXP itself won't let you do it. You'll need a third party application (something like PartitionMagic for example) to do it. ;)

Not true. You can do this with Windows XP using the disk management tools.

Right-click 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. Click on disk management and after it quickly scans you will see the available disks.
You need to right click on the external disk and create a partition smaller than 32Gb. Windows will then allow you to format that partition with Fat32. You can then format the rest of the drive with NTFS.
The PS3 will see and utilise the Fat32 partition while Windows will be able to use both so you can still use the bigger partition for backing up PC stuff.

There is no tool that will let you format the whole drive in Fat32 because the Fat32 file system simply doesn't support partitions over 32Gb

I stand corrected then mate - I didn't realise you could create partitions in XP's disk manager. Apologies for the duff guidance!! :o
0 Kudos

Check out my blog: http://www.spikycat.com/
/16

flora-16

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
flora-16
Accepted Solution
I can also verify that fat32format works fine.

I used it to format a 300Gb drive which i've just put in a SATA external drive case.

This allows me to backup all my PS3 Store downloads and also has room to backup my missus's laptop :D

PS: Its much cheaper than buying a new internal 2.5" drive for the PS3 :gr8:
0 Kudos

/16

[dplummer]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[dplummer]
Accepted Solution
meh the seagate program lets you formatt the whole drive fat32 ive done a 500gb drive not long ago
0 Kudos

/16

[EazyDuz]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[EazyDuz]
Accepted Solution
meh the seagate program lets you formatt the whole drive fat32
ive done a 500gb drive not long ago

Is it free?
0 Kudos

/16

[dplummer]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[dplummer]
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

/16

[EazyDuz]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[EazyDuz]
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Keyop

• Beta Tester
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Keyop
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

www.PlayStationleague.co.uk - Meet, Talk, Play, UK - A Friendly UK Gaming Community

/16

sadatquoraishi

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sadatquoraishi
Accepted Solution
I have just replaced my 60GB hard drive with a 250GB 5400rpm drive. I used a 1TB external USB drive as my backup location. The 60GB hard drive was almost full and Windows wouldn't let me create a FAT32 partition over 32GB on the external drive. In the end I used Partition Magic (available on Bit Torrent!) which will let you create larger FAT32 partitions. I really don't know why Windows has this artificial limitation in place. With the data backed up, the next obstacle was undoing those screws - I had the right size screwdrivers but I still almost stripped the screws completely. I had to use some pliers to grip the edges of the screws really tightly and unscrew them that way - very annoying. After that it was easy enough to slot in the 250GB hard drive. The drive was recognised fine and the PS3 recognised that it was new and formatted it. Then I restored all the PS3 data from the external drive. The only problem is I have lost the Linux partition, which I don't think was backed up, so I'll have to reinstall this.
0 Kudos

/16

H3NDR1X

34%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
H3NDR1X
Accepted Solution
I've got an extenal drive I use for my Mac if i format it to FAT32 i guess my ps3 will be able to read it but will my pc and my Mac still be abl to use it?
0 Kudos

/16

SirJun

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SirJun
Accepted Solution
I've got an extenal drive I use for my Mac if i format it to FAT32 i guess my ps3 will be able to read it but will my pc and my Mac still be abl to use it?

Yes! I formatted my WD 250GB passport using my partners Apple Ibook.

I transfer files from pc (XP Home) to the external hard drive. the PS3, Vista, XP & OS X all recognise the external hard drive & read the files.
0 Kudos

/16

H3NDR1X

34%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
H3NDR1X
Accepted Solution