92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

GAME, Buying games or Not?

59 Replies 722 Views Created 29-02-2012

Just wondering if anyone was going to buy there games at GAME anymore, giving the latest story that there not going to be selling copes of Mass Effect 3 or it seems like any EA game form this point onwards.

Just today I pre-ordered Mass Effect 3 N7 edition again from GameStop. Thanks GAME. Thank god for GameStop.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
99%
15 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution

Mikal_Drey wrote:

xPunkStarNinjax wrote:

The preowned offers in Gamestation are a lot better than GAME. 2 for £20, 2 for £10 etc. I hope that if GAME go under, someone else will buy Gamestation and keep it going. That's just wishful thinking though 

Who ?

there isnt anyone left. HMV are having their own struggles and there isnt another game retailer on the highstreet. 

administrators will move in or one of those private equity companies will step in and destroy it.

game should re-strategise, come off the highstreet, and go interweb only. 

This is what gets me. Everyone is going "Oh goody Game is going down"

Yet they forget if they go to a supermarket only 6 feet of shelf space will be for games.

Hardly enough  to stock all the latest releases is it?

0 Kudos

Re: GAME, Buying games or Not?

/16

Squidooer

98%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Squidooer
Accepted Solution

Kermit1970 wrote:

Yet they forget if they go to a supermarket only 6 feet of shelf space will be for games.

That's the same amount of space that GAME allocates to it's new stock.

0 Kudos

/16

xPunkStarNinjax

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xPunkStarNinjax
Accepted Solution

Squidooer wrote:

That's the same amount of space that GAME allocates to it's new stock.

Shelving is only for dummy boxes though. It doesn't matter how much space there is as long as there's enough stock available in the storage room, which is the issue. They're not ordering enough new releases at the moment. I went into town yesterday to get SSX and between the 2 GAME stores and 1 Gamestation, they'd all sold out. Not good :Shame:

0 Kudos

/16

Dawzah

76%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dawzah
Accepted Solution
no longer stocking fifa street
0 Kudos

/16

xx_Tooms109_xx

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xx_Tooms109_xx
Accepted Solution

Kermit1970 wrote:

i agree mate.

I will be gutted if GAME hit the wall - There will be nowhere to buy games in our town ....Except the supermarkets.Who,if GAME do go down,will probably hike their prices up because of no competition.

Ive had some great bargins from GAME & Gamestation - If you willing to wait a short while.Ive never paid over £25 for a game in over 3 years.

I got Resistance 3 special edition for £13 brand new before christmas - The online pass alone is £8 on the store !.

Ive also had many,many bargins 2nd hand in the past  .....

If they do go bust - This will hit the industry harder than they think.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Squidooer

98%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Squidooer
Accepted Solution

xx_Tooms109_xx wrote:

Kermit1970 wrote:

i agree mate.

I will be gutted if GAME hit the wall - There will be nowhere to buy games in our town ....Except the supermarkets.Who,if GAME do go down,will probably hike their prices up because of no competition.

Ive had some great bargins for GAME & Gamestation - If you willing to wait a short while.Ive never paid over £25 for a game in over 3 years.

I got Resistance 3 special edition for £13 brand new before christmas - The online pass alone is £8 on the store !.

Ive also had many,many bargins 2nd hand in the past  .....

If they do go bust - This will hit the industry harder than they think.

No it won't. Others will take up the slack that they left behind. Gaming shops have been coming and going for the last 30 years and the Gaming Industry still lives on.

0 Kudos

/16

xx_Tooms109_xx

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xx_Tooms109_xx
Accepted Solution

Squidooer wrote:

. Gaming shops have been coming and going for the last 30 years and the Gaming Industry still lives on.

Not in my town they havent.

0 Kudos

/16

harrispcarl

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
harrispcarl
Accepted Solution
No competition for the Supermarkets??? The supermarkets themselves are competition!!!! Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda are all competing against each other!!
0 Kudos

/16

xx_Tooms109_xx

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xx_Tooms109_xx
Accepted Solution

harrispcarl wrote:
No competition for the Supermarkets??? The supermarkets themselves are competition!!!! Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda are all competing against each other!!

True,true.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos

/16

abcwarrior

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
abcwarrior
Accepted Solution

Unlessa store can offer something more these days there's just no way for them to compete with cheaper supermarket or online prices.

Apart from a few trade in offers recenty (the last thing I got from Game was Skyrim for a few quid) there's nothing they do that's going to make me buy there again - the second hand prices are far too high, the range of stuff being sold has shrunk and it's rare to ever meet a member of staff who really likes gaming and is not just trying to convince you to buy xbox.

Wonder what will happen to their stock when they shut down. 

0 Kudos

/16

MarioSniper

50%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MarioSniper
Accepted Solution

I don't wish for GAME to go down, but they are very overpriced. I mean its a simple concept really I buy where ever is selling it cheapest ! I can buy some games off Amazon new for the price GAME want for a second hand one. Theyre digging there own grave really.

WWW.SNIPERMARIO.COM

0 Kudos

www.SniperMario.com
PlayStation & Vita news and reviews blog.
/16

nlindz27

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nlindz27
Accepted Solution

harrispcarl wrote:

As soon as game goes they will hike thier prices back up and compete in other ways. they use game as a bench mark the only way they compete against other supermarkets is to offer other deals with the games. E.G. spend £40 pound and get fifa for £25

0 Kudos

/16

mike20036

98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mike20036
Accepted Solution
I've just read this http://gamentrain.com/2012/03/major-uk-gaming-retailer-game-hit-by-fresh-blow/ That they won't be stocking street fighter x tekken. It's getting worse good job I order the game somewhere else.
0 Kudos

/16

Soilderblue

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Soilderblue
Accepted Solution

So there no longer going to get any ea games and now this,looks like its the end of the line for game/gamestation.

Feel sorry for the people who will lose there jobs.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Si_Ozzman

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Si_Ozzman
Accepted Solution
I use Game only in the sales or if they have an exclusive ltd edition I fancy (ala SSX recently), otherwise I always use alternative online retailers to save money.

Supermarkets are ok for games if theres a new release out, but sometimes its just nice to look around a shop, browse the shelves and preowned, possibly find an old second hand game dirt cheap you always fancied playing but never got around to. I tihnk Game has it's place, but need to sort out the way they are run. In Portsmouth theres 2 Game and 1 Gamestation all within 5 mins of each other, 1 recently refurbished!
0 Kudos

/16

villadarby

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
villadarby
Accepted Solution

in my local town the only places to buy games is 1 game, 1 gamestation, hmv and blockbusters so if they do go it will have a bad effect in the town as there will be no competition

0 Kudos

/16

xPunkStarNinjax

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xPunkStarNinjax
Accepted Solution

mike20036 wrote:
I've just read this http://gamentrain.com/2012/03/major-uk-gaming-retailer-game-hit-by-fresh-blow/ That they won't be stocking street fighter x tekken. It's getting worse good job I order the game somewhere else.

Jeez, they're not stocking anything. I feel sorry for the people that have preordered and now have to get it elsewhere. It's a complete sham :Frown:

GAME without games!

0 Kudos

/16

FooFan73

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

Many of us have spoken of our towns having a GAME and a Gamestation in close proximity.

Brighton, which is only 12 miles from me has 2 GAME stores and a Gamestation within five mins walk of each other!

If they really want to tighten their belts and try to weather the storm the first thing they should be doing is getting it down to just one store in each town. Yes the redundancies would be bad but why pay 2 or 3 lots of shop rent to the local council and all those salaries when just one store would suffice

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

xPunkStarNinjax

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xPunkStarNinjax
Accepted Solution

FooFan73 wrote:

Many of us have spoken of our towns having a GAME and a Gamestation in close proximity.

Brighton, which is only 12 miles from me has 2 GAME stores and a Gamestation within five mins walk of each other!

If they really want to tighten their belts and try to weather the storm the first thing they should be doing is getting it down to just one store in each town. Yes the redundancies would be bad but why pay 2 or 3 lots of shop rent to the local council and all those salaries when just one store would suffice

Plymouth is exactly the same - 2 GAME's and a Gamestation. It's a bit excessive really.

You make a good point  - some stores could be closed down if it could avoid the whole ship sinking. It's heading that way at the moment.

0 Kudos

/16

Yrag86

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Yrag86
Accepted Solution

xPunkStarNinjax wrote:

FooFan73 wrote:

Plymouth is exactly the same - 2 GAME's and a Gamestation. It's a bit excessive really.

You make a good point  - some stores could be closed down if it could avoid the whole ship sinking. It's heading that way at the moment.

Same here in wolverhampton, 2 GAME's on the same street and a gamestation just around the corner. 1 of the GAMEs use to be a EBgames way back when, but why they feel the need to have 2 stores open on the same street i dont know.

We also have a That's Entertainment, CEX, HMV and a Forbidden Planet.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
99%
15 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution
The three towns near me the one has a Game and Gamestation near each other, the other two only have Game
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel