Kogia_breviceps

92%
02 Rank
Progress

Game Sharing Innocent Question

36 Replies 1,504 Views Created 02-04-2012
02 Apr 2012
By Kogia_breviceps

I recently saw a post regarding the game sharing allowance reduced from 5 to 2, I knew nothing about this facility and after scouring forums for proper information, I'm very confused. I don't need to know how to do it, that was very easy to find out, but I am confused about whether it might result in potential trouble. I have no desire to do it if it could mean being banned.

Both myself and my brother have PS3s, I have bought tons of PSN games and a lot of dlc for full games, he has next to nothing, is it okay (legal according to the Sony TOA) for me to put these games on his machine?

For example, we've been talking about buying Journey and doing some co-op, can we just buy one copy of the game and play online together after shariing and when we play Mortal Kombat we have to use my machine because I bought the dlc characters and he hasn't, so could I put those on his machine as well?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

Kogia_breviceps wrote:

I recently saw a post regarding the game sharing allowance reduced from 5 to 2, I knew nothing about this facility and after scouring forums for proper information, I'm very confused. I don't need to know how to do it, that was very easy to find out, but I am confused about whether it might result in potential trouble. I have no desire to do it if it could mean being banned.

Both myself and my brother have PS3s, I have bought tons of PSN games and a lot of dlc for full games, he has next to nothing, is it okay (legal according to the Sony TOA) for me to put these games on his machine?

For example, we've been talking about buying Journey and doing some co-op, can we just buy one copy of the game and play online together after shariing and when we play Mortal Kombat we have to use my machine because I bought the dlc characters and he hasn't, so could I put those on his machine as well?

It's only allowed if your in the same house i think but don't quote me on that if not then it's against T&C.

0 Kudos

Re: Game Sharing Innocent Question

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
96%
13 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

It's a bit of sore subject and usually ends up in threads of mass arguments the way i see if you live under the same household using the same home network its ok if you both live at different residential addresses i would say no it's not worth the risk. 

I have an actual friend who now lives in australia who used to organise game sharing on trophy websites etc he ended up getting a permanent console ban and ended up having to buy a replacement hard lesson learned.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

gymno74

99%
05 Rank
Progress
gymno74
Accepted Solution

mont348 wrote:

It's a bit of sore subject and usually ends up in threads of mass arguments

^post 3. :D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Wrathchild68

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Wrathchild68
Accepted Solution

I asked about this a few years ago now. I wanted to be able to go to my other halfs house and use my content on the kids console. I was told I could do that but after leaving I would have to delete my username and content. I asked why I had to delete everything and was told that it's a big no no and frowned upon by Sony, basically game sharing.

0 Kudos

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Recent observations conclude that in this day and age common sense is a super power!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

TheNarrator

• MVP
96%
13 Rank
Progress
TheNarrator
Accepted Solution
sure if we delved deep enough into the Terms & Conditions we'd probably find out that we're not even allowed to let people look at the TV while we're playing a game because it breaks some rule xD.

think as a general rule its ok to share your games with family members of the same household, or with another PS3 in your house. but it probably gets a bit naughty and not very cool if they live somewhere else or if youre using the term 'family' loosely and theyre actually complete strangers 8).
0 Kudos

KZAM!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

hey hey

its certainly a mess about what is and what isnt allowed.

the activation limit is for a single user to activate his account on multiple machines of theirs.  eg.  PS3 at home/work  or mum/dads etc. etc. 

if you own a console and your brother owns a console then technically your game sharing.    your account has no reason to be on his console other than to share the DLC and PSN content.  

whats weird is that PS3's have different users so how is that any different from sharing content across multiple users. maybe sony see it more as content being locked to a single console.... however; each user can have a seperate psn account registered to it so its catch 22 all over again.

in all honest its very confusing :/

It has become acceptable for content to be "shared" in a single household. 

I'm sure someone will explain the ip restriction as the new actiavation rules had some weird and confusing side effects

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Kogia_breviceps

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Kogia_breviceps
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the swifties, unfortunately it does seem to get more confusing the more you look into it.... 

I would really like to do it, there's a few games we'd have a lot of fun on co-op and vs, but he's just not bothered about spending cash on it, but I know if I put the games on his machine we'll get to play, but (another but), I definitely don't want a ban for it.

To make it more confusing, sometimes we're in the same house, sometimes we're not.... I'm currently out of work and have moved back in to my parents, whilst my brother is currently paying my mortgage and living in my house, but because it's my house I do stay there a lot. As he has hardly anything on his PS3 I usually end up lugging mine backwards and forwards so we can have gaming sessions when I go and stay. Even worse, my work takes me overseas a lot, so sometimes I'm gaming from out of the UK, so we're often as far away as different continents.

I guess we could count his machine as mine, as it is in my actual owned house and I do go and game there a bit, so I could possibly legitimately put my account on that machine, so I don't have to carry the machine I currently play on at my parents backwards and forwards all the time. :Samurai:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

Always wondered this myself. My brother lives down the street from me, & I share my PS+ content with him. Been doing it since September of last year.

If it is against the T&C. I'd much rather Sony warn me first, rather than just ban me with no warning. As it is confusing. They only have themselves to blame anyway, as it's not very clear what's right & wrong. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

Cringles88 wrote:

Always wondered this myself. My brother lives down the street from me, & I share my PS+ content with him. Been doing it since September of last year.

If it is against the T&C. I'd much rather Sony warn me first, rather than just ban me with no warning. As it is confusing. They only have themselves to blame anyway, as it's not very clear what's right & wrong. 

That is a Breach of T&C the distance does not matter. You must live at both locations or be using your PS3 or Delete the content after you leave. Not allowed to keep your content on that PS3.  

So yep your game sharing.

The one reason it would not be game sharing is if your under 18 and have Dual homes due to devorced parents. . 

Plenty of US native students have got a tempary ban for using there US parental content in the UK. 

1 User from US I know had a choice, Sony wanted the money paid <$100 and they would lift the ban or be ofline for 3 months. Warned any more sharing and he would be ofline for good.  

Very nice of the SCEA to offer that. Normaly its ban and forget.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required. Java script failure in remote play at login is IE render engine setting in IE security set to off... turn it on...

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

Cheers Graphite, I'll have to put a stop to it now! Hopefully Sony don't take action :D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Kogia_breviceps

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Kogia_breviceps
Accepted Solution

GraphiteGB wrote:

Plenty of US native students have got a tempary ban for using there US parental content in the UK. 

1 User from US I know had a choice, Sony wanted the money paid <$100 and they would lift the ban or be ofline for 3 months. Warned any more sharing and he would be ofline for good.  

What do you mean by 'US parental content in the UK'?  

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

Kogia_breviceps wrote:

GraphiteGB wrote:

What do you mean by 'US parental content in the UK'?  

His Parents content,  DAD and MUM. when you leave home at 18 you are an adult no longer classed as a child. so you can't share the DLC content they paid for. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required. Java script failure in remote play at login is IE render engine setting in IE security set to off... turn it on...

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Todg23

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Todg23
Accepted Solution
trust SCEA to confuse the issue further
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
LarasAider
Accepted Solution
  1. The Op goes to his brother's house and signs in to PSN, goes to download list and downloads the PSN games. 
  2. The op then goes back to his house and signs in there. 
  3. So resulting in both of them having a copy of the game (but only if his brother hasn't deleted the op of the console). 
  4. The op now has 2 consoles activated at this point. 

You wanna know if this is illegal or breaks house rules? Answer: No it doesn't cos you're still within your activation limit; also the content your brother has, is tied to your account; if the User/account is deleted, your brother no longer has access to your game content on his machine.

You're within Sony's limits; so your safe, if you wanna access your game content on a 3rd PS3; you'll have to deactivate one of the other PS3 consoles first.

0 Kudos

To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
96%
13 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:
  1. The Op goes to his brother's house and signs in to PSN, goes to download list and downloads the PSN games. 
  3. So resulting in both of them having a copy of the game (but only if his brother hasn't deleted the op of the console). 

You wanna know if this is illegal or breaks house rules? Answer: No it doesn't cos you're still within your activation limit; also the content your brother has, is tied to your account; if the User/account is deleted, your brother no longer has access to your game content on his machine.

You're within Sony's limits; so your safe, if you wanna access your game content on a 3rd PS3; you'll have to deactivate one of the other PS3 consoles first.

You'll get a lot of people banned with that advice.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

mont348 wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

Why?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
96%
13 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

mont348 wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

Why?

The two limit is two consoles you own and have registered i have a brother, sister and brother-in-law who live in the same town as me putting content on their systems would class as game sharing. 

Now if i am to purchase a second PS3 for myself which i am considering doing for the bedroom i will put my account and girlfriends account on both we'll use both systems at different times but with the benefit of not tag teaming over one console we can both play simultaneously without buying stuff again which i see as fine to do. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

mont348 wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

mont348 wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

Why?

The two limit is two consoles you own and have registered i have a brother, sister and brother-in-law who live in the same town as me putting content on their systems would class as game sharing. 

Now if i am to purchase a second PS3 for myself which i am considering doing for the bedroom i will put my account and girlfriends account on both we'll use both systems at different times but with the benefit of not tag teaming over one console we can both play simultaneously without buying stuff again which i see as fine to do. 

How would Sony know that? They don't; so I translate it to:

2 activations with any PS3 console, anywhere in the world. 

My brother and I share our games using one PS3, The op however is sharing his game with his brother using two seperate PS3's. He's got the maximum allowed, of 2 consoles activated; so I don't see a problem with it. He's totally within the parametres set up by Sony. If he's breaking any rules; then Sony failed to implement adequete security measures that prevents the OP from doing what he does. Simples...:smileywink:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
96%
13 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

mont348 wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

mont348 wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

Why?

How would Sony know that? They don't; so I translate it to:

2 activations with any PS3 console, anywhere in the world. 

My brother and I share our games using one PS3, The op however is sharing his game with his brother using two seperate PS3's. He's got the maximum allowed, of 2 consoles activated; so I don't see a problem with it. He's totally within the parametres set up by Sony. If he's breaking any rules; then Sony failed to implement adequete security measures that prevents the OP from doing what he does. Simples...:smileywink:

Tell that to my australian friend he was inside the original 5 activation on his original PS3 but his account was noted for suspicious activity with accounts at various IP addresses and locations till the ban hammer fell onto his console and he had to buy a replacement to get back online.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

Yep Sony know because they have.... 

MAC address data.  

Machine Motherboard ID data. ( Mostly used when you download PSN Video content even for free)

ISP IP address data from your modem ( Which gives them your physical location down to the county and nearest big town. )   

And Credit card address, Location data. (If you use it. )

And its all linked to your PSN ID every time you activate your account on a PS3.

And sony have server software that Matches and flags user data. 

The question is not...

"how does Sony know?.

Instead its...

"When will sony act on it?"

"What is the trigger point for a software sharing Ban?" 

In USA last year it was just under $100 would get you a 3 month ban.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel