03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Game to help loosen weight

63 Replies 2,926 Views Created 16-04-2012

Hi there!

I have had my PS3 for almost a year now but somehow i want to push the hardware a little bit. what i mean is i'm looking for a game to help loosen-up weight. one that really makes up a sweat.

Now, i don't know if a fitness game or a Move competition games or an action game would be ideal but what would you guys recommend to me?

I stand 6 feet and weighs 100 kilos so that makes me "clinicaly obese".

I also want my wife to come along play with me and she mentioned that she also want to loosen weight.

A standalone game for just me or a game for both of us?

Please advice.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

Hi Gino_76ph 

I have tried a few move titles with the PS3.  I tried Zumba, which had a cool tracking system with your move controller strapped around your waist.  The music was good etc, but if your anything like me you would find the movements in zumba quite hard to mimic, even though you still work up a sweat. 

I have tried the 'Fight' game, which uses two move controllers to do boxing.  That works up a huge sweat.  I can't usually play that for very long before I'm dripping with sweat and a headache to boot.  So if boxing interests you I would recommend that one.  

Another one is Kung Fu live off the PSN store, it only requires the Playstation Eye.  Basically it tracks your movements and puts your image in the game, like a side on beat em up scroller, and you have to punch and kick your way through the stages.  That game is exhausting after a while, but at least its a bit of fun too, instead of just copying exercises.

Lastly I recommend a title thats fairly cheap now called My Fitness Club Coach, (Fit in Six is the NTSC version).  This one isn't that hot on move tracking, fairly basic, and some parts of it  you don't even need a move controller, but the good thing about this title is that it covers every muscle group you could want.  So you can target areas that you want to prioritise, do aerobics, dancing, whatever  you want.  Its quite a complete package.

The only one I haven't tried but you might find useful is EA Sports Active 2.  It used to be too expensive, like $200 but I have seen it around on clearance for less than $50.  It has its own move trackers in the form of some kind of wrist band, and I think it has a heart rate monitor too.  That one is mainly sports movements like shooting hoops etc.  I haven't tried it but it looked pretty good in the trailers.
Hope some of this might help you make a decision on what to get :) 

0 Kudos

Re: Game to help loosen weight

/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

Sorry just realized you were from the United Kingdom, the games prices I told you about were in New Zealand currency, so I'm not sure what it would go for over there.  I hope you find something suitable :)

0 Kudos

/16
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LittleBigDragonz
Accepted Solution

Get fit with Mel B using the 25 Minute workout ( Not 30 minutes as that seemed easier ) selecting the all-round-fitness settings with an added extra fat-burner to go with it.

Then after the 25 Minute workout do all the Mel B " Challenges " THEN once that's finished,( you do it all again ). PS --- Use just the Camera setting. Do NOT use the Move Controller as this way you can use weights, ect, if you have then.

Once you have finished Mel B....

You then want to use ( Move Fitness ) with TWO PS-Move Controllers for an hour. This game helps you cool down WHILE still giving you a workout at a better pace than Mel B. You will be using More of your body using Move Fitness, while Mel B is more of an intensive workout on your body.

Now does it work... YES.

If you do it for real and not just for 1 day a week you will lose weight... Eat 5-6 small meals a day, drink loads of water ( even when training ), and do NOT eat late at night. Mel B has a Fitness First diet program that can let you know what foods could be used in your diet, ect.

I was 5 ft 8" weighing just under 15 stone ( Bulk not fat ) but have done the above and in Six to Seven Weeks i am now 12 Stone 2lb and much better for it.

As for pushing the PS3 hardware, lol you'll be pushing your body more if that helps.

0 Kudos

/16

gino_76ph

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gino_76ph
Accepted Solution

Wow...lots of choices!

Well, for me mainly i want to target my abs and bits of my thighs as they are my "weak" (i.e. fatty) points. but i am now stuck with also geeting a non-fitness game which will also make up a sweat.

Would a fitness game which concentrates on those areas be better than the other non-fitness games recommended here?

or is there a game that is balanced to take on both aspects?

0 Kudos

/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

The ab workouts in Fitness Club Coach are killer, and you will definately feel them the next day.  But you will still need the cardio aspect off Fitness Club Coach or other Move title of your choice to burn the fat.  

Fitness Club Coach is really just a fitness title though, you can target abs, and legs, in fact any bodypart you want in it, it has separate workouts for, and at varying levels too, beginner through to expert.  

I guess if you wanted to go to a non fitness based game though you could just choose one that makes you work up the most sweat.  I find most of them are pretty good at that, as long as you have to constantly move and involve your whole body you are gonna be working up a big sweat.  

Entirely up to you, if it was for fitness and fat burning only I would recommend Fitness Club Coach, or as the other guy says Mel B (haven't tried that one).  I do like though on Fitness Club you always have different characters taking you through the exercises, its not just the one person.  

Non fitness, Kung Fu live is a laugh riot and quite cheap on PSN.  Up to you :)

0 Kudos

/16

gino_76ph

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gino_76ph
Accepted Solution

The two fitness games that you recommended are really cool and i will ask the wife what game she wants. 

The Kung-Fu game seems such a cool game but i can't seem to find on how much it is priced. did you say it only requires the PS camera? but the PS Move (which comes with the camera) normally comes bundled in one box right?

0 Kudos

/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

Its on the PSN store in New Zealand, not sure how much it is but here it was like $25, I think our money is only worth like a third of yours.  Yes they usually do come bundled and the move controller requires the Playstation Eye camera to work. But this title went old school and utilized the Playstation Eye camera the same way the old Eye Toy worked on the PS2, tracking movement.  So it doesn't require a move controller.  Prob one of the very few titles that doesn't.

It tracks your punches and kicks in relation to the characters on the screen, as to whether you hit them or not.  Only catch is you have to stand side on, so as to be like a side on beat em up scroller.  And your punches and kicks have to go out sideways to be recognized, not so much happens if you punch toward the screen.  Hope you can find it on the PSN store :)

0 Kudos

/16

emw80

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
emw80
Accepted Solution

As much as i dont doubt any of these suggested fitness game will help you lose weight.. the problem still lies with YOU.

If you wern't motivated personally to do something about it before, then you will lose interest after a while of using these fitnes games.

My suggestion would be (on top of a fitness game), is to limit the veriaty of foods you eat, stop buying junk from supermarkets for a start (if you can avoid it of course),  do your best to buy fruit and veg from the open market stalls rather than supermarkets as you're getting them fresher and they havent been sitting in storage or being hauled in the back of a truck from one end of the country to the other from warehouse to storefront for example as they are usually locally grown.

Also stop drinking fizzy juice like cola and pepsi etc, change that to water as your body needs to replenish every 6 weeks (i think), try taking one less sugar in your tea or coffee, (you will adapt to the taste then wonder why you used so much sugar in the first place), same goes for salt on your food!

There's loads of things you can do, but the change HAS to start on the inside for there to be any change on the outside, and it all begins with how you think.

One last thing i can tell you which i know will help you is to look up ALL the ingredients in the foods you are eaating and see what is said about them,, Like MSG's and Aspartame for just two examples.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

hey EMW80 just curious about your graphic on the bottom of your post about the kid labour and xbox 360 controllers, is that true or just a joke?

0 Kudos

/16

emw80

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
emw80
Accepted Solution

Triklops wrote:

hey EMW80 just curious about your graphic on the bottom of your post about the kid labour and xbox 360 controllers, is that true or just a joke?

It's a fact, AND Microsoft went back to do it again after being caught saying they had made sure standards were imporved LOL, but child labor in any case is simply not aceptable.

0 Kudos

/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

That's crazy!!

I never understood why so many haters out there gave the stink eye to Sony, treating them like a big evil corporation, when Microsoft has the history and reputation it has, and no one seems to bat an eyelid at them??

It really baffles me

0 Kudos

/16

gino_76ph

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gino_76ph
Accepted Solution

That's true. i suppose in this world its all about the money, eh?

Anyway, ENM80 had a very good advice as regards my diet and what should i eat. i have been doing all that but one of my prime weaknesses remains: eating quite late at night (as late as 9pm and sleeping at 11pm), pastry and fizzy drinks although i have limited the drinks and i only drink those mini bottles (which is around 150mls) and ones which are "diet" versions.

My wieght has been a steady 96-98 kilos so far but i am still clinically obese.

I just thought becasue of the nature of my job (my only free days are weekends) i thought i'd ask about fitness games or action games that require the Move controller.

What i really want is one that targets certain body areas (like abs, thighs, claf muscles, etc.) for novice/intermeidiate users like me or an actioner that can be also good in breaking-up sweat.

is there a "hybrid" fitness/actioner game available?

I heard about UFC trainer. is that also good?

How about those competition games like Sports Champions?

Urggghhh!!!!!

0 Kudos

/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

Hey Gino_76ph,

I am the same height as you, and up until recently I was 98kg.  Now I'm 94kg.  I work out though and a large part of my weight comes from muscle bulk, but I do have a fair bit of fat percentage I'm working on dropping, hence the recent 4kg drop.

I drink a bit of fizzy, but like you I only drink diet.  There are like someone said before, little things that can help.  For me, some years ago, if I did get any kind of fast food, I cut out the fries completely, to this day I never have fries with any fast food, and I try to limit my burgers to the healthier, lower saturated fat ones.

I also began drinking more water.  I used to eat a lot of pies but now I hardly ever do.  I began drinking more water and dropped my bread intake (because of the empty calories, high carbs).  

But you really do need to watch your night time eating.  We only burn off 70 calories an hour while we sleep, which isn't much.  A lot of what you eat prior to sleeping doesn't get burned off so it gets stored as fat instead.  I tend to get hungry at nights, but being into bodybuilding I take a protein shake at nights, which fools me into thinking I'm full, and is much better than eating a high calorie meal.  

As for UFC, haven't tried that but it does look pretty good.  Sports champions only really works up a sweat in the gladiator game, but in my opinion not as much as other titles.  

P.S.  a great time to do your exercise is first thing in the morning before breakfast.  Often if you eat first then do exercises later, the calories and carbs from your food will fuel your exercise, but if you workout before breakfast, the body has to resort to mostly fat storage.

0 Kudos

/16

emw80

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
emw80
Accepted Solution

gino_76ph wrote:

That's true. i suppose in this world its all about the money, eh?

Anyway, ENM80 had a very good advice as regards my diet and what should i eat. i have been doing all that but one of my prime weaknesses remains: eating quite late at night (as late as 9pm and sleeping at 11pm), pastry and fizzy drinks although i have limited the drinks and i only drink those mini bottles (which is around 150mls) and ones which are "diet" versions.

My wieght has been a steady 96-98 kilos so far but i am still clinically obese.

I just thought becasue of the nature of my job (my only free days are weekends) i thought i'd ask about fitness games or action games that require the Move controller.

What i really want is one that targets certain body areas (like abs, thighs, claf muscles, etc.) for novice/intermeidiate users like me or an actioner that can be also good in breaking-up sweat.

is there a "hybrid" fitness/actioner game available?

I heard about UFC trainer. is that also good?

How about those competition games like Sports Champions?

Urggghhh!!!!!

It wouldn't matter if the bottle of fizzy drink you're consuming is a miniturized version of the miniturized version and you have to miniturize yourself to drink it LOL, it still has the same rotten chemicals in it ASPARTAME being one of them.

Aspartame is in sweetners as well, like nutrisweet, and companies like coke and pesi will say "Oh we took out the sugar and replaced it with a sweetner so its healthier for you",, when in reality it isnt as it STILL conatins Aspartame LOL.

As for pastires, (as well as buns and cakes etc),, there's no problems there really in moderation, but here's the thing, and this goes for ALL foods you buy from a store... If you make the foods from scratch, you DONT use preservatives (amonium peroxide i think) like the store foods do, and then there is none of these other chemicals which are neeedlessly added to store foods.. so it is MUCH better to make food yourself from scratch than it is to go buy it from a store, YOU control what goes into it, and in doing it all yourself not only are you adding new things to the list of things you can do, but it keeps you going in the long run!

BTW making awesome foods you love is easier than you think, and you certainly do enjoy it much more when you have perfected it to your taste!

0 Kudos

/16

RONNYNS

92%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RONNYNS
Accepted Solution

you want to have a real workout and sweat.... there is only one game that brings it on the ps3 'THE FIGHT'.. its a boxing game, that also include a gym for different work outs.. and if you have two ps3 you can fight againts your wife online.

trailer..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-zO-yqtM_M

gameplay...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPZYpP0Jlqs

buy..

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/the-fight-lights-out/78153

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My PS3 career don't end in November 2013... Trey for life!
----
>>REMEMBER TO GIVE KUDOS IF YOU LIKE>>> Thumb up!
----

/16

darrenj1

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
darrenj1
Accepted Solution

EA SPORTS ACTIVE 2

I was 105KG and 181cm

got this as you said, to get into some excersize at home, in a comfortable surrouding.

Liked the PS3 trophies and tracking to encourage me to play.

Picked up this game for £12, however have recently seen it for £8 in some stores, so value for money is high.

Monitors heart rate and asks you to do daily questionnaires as well, about health and fitness, you can do as many or few of those as you like.

I was very unfit and completed the 2 built in challenges, 9 weeks and 12 weeks i think. 

This helped me to lose over 10kg in weight and completely changed my eating habits.

Since finishing those challenges I joined a gym (needed to take it to the next level). And now im 86kg. go to gym every second day pretty much.

I also bought the fight, but its very tough for me, as the controls are not very forgiving, again though, this is cheap and you will sweat after 2 fights.

good luck hope you find something that is good for you, but I really owe it to PS3 and EA sports active 2 for getting me started with weight loss and fitness.

0 Kudos

/16

emw80

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
emw80
Accepted Solution

darrenj1 wrote:

I joined a gym

It's always good to see someone so enthusiastic about throwing money away.... what ever happend to doing press ups, sit ups, chin ups, squats, leg stretching, stress position holds, lifting weights, exercise bike, rowing machine,,, going out jogging at 5 or even 6am to get the early morning fresh air into your lungs? even just take the dog for a walk early at that time for the fresh air is great for you!! and they're all much cheaper than the gym meberships out there, and no one to bother you at home and no feeling bad about others seeing the bingo wings on your arms flapping as you run on the treadmill.

as long as you're happy with it i guess.

0 Kudos

/16
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LittleBigDragonz
Accepted Solution

To OP.

IF you want to lose weight AND tone up it's not that hard really. My advice would be Eat the correct foods, drink the correct liquids, and exercise more than you do now.

I was 95 KG before i started the games i posted about, ( which you can choose body parts if needed and choose your own workouts ) and in 6 - 7 weeks i went down to 77 KG. ( 18 KG loss ). Just from doing more exercise and eating the correct foods ( at the right times ). Now i have my weight i wanted, i have managed to keep it without the use of the games, thanks to the foods and drinks i intake now.

0 Kudos

/16

Grave_24

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Grave_24
Accepted Solution

Weight loss is SIMPLE. It's just a matter of calories in vs calories out.

Hence reduce your calorie intake and increase your calorie expenditure.

If you are seeking a game to help you and your wife lose weight, you really aren't taking it seriously.

But anyways, the best games for breaking a sweat would have to be:

Sports Champions - the gladiator tournament

The Fight - Doubt you will be able to do this for long as it's really hard work.

0 Kudos

Grave_24 Trophy Card
/16

darrenj1

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
darrenj1
Accepted Solution

emw80 wrote:

darrenj1 wrote:

I joined a gym

It's always good to see someone so enthusiastic about throwing money away.... what ever happend to doing press ups, sit ups, chin ups, squats, leg stretching, stress position holds, lifting weights, exercise bike, rowing machine,,, going out jogging at 5 or even 6am to get the early morning fresh air into your lungs? even just take the dog for a walk early at that time for the fresh air is great for you!! and they're all much cheaper than the gym meberships out there, and no one to bother you at home and no feeling bad about others seeing the bingo wings on your arms flapping as you run on the treadmill.

as long as you're happy with it i guess.

I did not feel comfortable to go out running with all the shoppers and commuters walking past me, I dont own a dog, and my 24 gym is £16 a month no minimum term.

I do not have a car and walk everywhere, so thanks for the attack but it is not fully justified.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel