03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Game to help loosen weight

63 Replies 2,810 Views Created 16-04-2012

Hi there!

I have had my PS3 for almost a year now but somehow i want to push the hardware a little bit. what i mean is i'm looking for a game to help loosen-up weight. one that really makes up a sweat.

Now, i don't know if a fitness game or a Move competition games or an action game would be ideal but what would you guys recommend to me?

I stand 6 feet and weighs 100 kilos so that makes me "clinicaly obese".

I also want my wife to come along play with me and she mentioned that she also want to loosen weight.

A standalone game for just me or a game for both of us?

Please advice.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

bible-man

97%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bible-man
Accepted Solution

darrenj1 wrote:

EA SPORTS ACTIVE 2

I was 105KG and 181cm

got this as you said, to get into some excersize at home, in a comfortable surrouding.

Liked the PS3 trophies and tracking to encourage me to play.

Picked up this game for £12, however have recently seen it for £8 in some stores, so value for money is high.

Monitors heart rate and asks you to do daily questionnaires as well, about health and fitness, you can do as many or few of those as you like.

I was very unfit and completed the 2 built in challenges, 9 weeks and 12 weeks i think. 

This helped me to lose over 10kg in weight and completely changed my eating habits.

Since finishing those challenges I joined a gym (needed to take it to the next level). And now im 86kg. go to gym every second day pretty much.

I also bought the fight, but its very tough for me, as the controls are not very forgiving, again though, this is cheap and you will sweat after 2 fights.

good luck hope you find something that is good for you, but I really owe it to PS3 and EA sports active 2 for getting me started with weight loss and fitness.

I think Tesco has EA active 2 for about £15 Thinking of getting it for that price. 

The fight is great and you can buy an expansion pack for it. It's like a training program that monitors calories burned, time and repetitions. Plus it's only a few quid. 

0 Kudos

Re: Game to help loosen weight

/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

Holy Heck Bible-Man I was just reeling yesterday from seeing some guys portable ID tag because he was level 18 with about 2700 trophies.  I wake up today, jump online and see you have only 2 shy of 3000 trophies, at level 19 with 45 platinums to boot!

I struggled my butt off to get full trophy completion on one game (Assassin's Creed 2), which had a couple very annoying, time consuming trophies.  

That's mad legendary man!

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

englishgolfer

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
englishgolfer
Accepted Solution
if i may throw in my 2 pennies worth...

ea sports active 2 is very good. have been doing that for over a year now. i think the variety of exercises in it are great. the one reason it is cheap though is because ea have pulled the plug on the online section. no big lose but you can't track your weight lose and program online now. for £15 it is definitely worth it.

but like others have written, changing your eating habits is key. motivation is also key but with games like these that have trophy support (i'm still trying to get 3 bronze trophies) and the fact that you can set up personal goals is a huge help in motivation. it still starts with you though!

good luck
0 Kudos

Community Forum Events | Click for all things Uncharted! | Community Twitch Channel

Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
/16

leggy1975

90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
leggy1975
Accepted Solution

englishgolfer wrote:
if i may throw in my 2 pennies worth...

ea sports active 2 is very good. have been doing that for over a year now. i think the variety of exercises in it are great. the one reason it is cheap though is because ea have pulled the plug on the online section. no big lose but you can't track your weight lose and program online now. for £15 it is definitely worth it.

This ^^

I bought Sports active about 2 years ago now I think and its probably my most used disc in all my collection. The prgrams built into it are brilliant and heart rate monitor and tracking spot on. Its very good for not only losing weight but also building muscle. I found the resistance band that come with it pretty useless so invested in a more professional one but even that was only £10 from amazon. Last year I bought the whoel system again for £10 so could do it "2player".

I have tried loads of other like the Move Fitness, Mel B and also UFC trainer but none of them come clsoe to enjoyment or results you get from this.

Had a quick look and seems cheapest you can get delivered new is Tesco entertainment for £12...bargain

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

Hi guys,

Just had to removed a few posts from this thread sadly. Please play nice from now on thanks :P

0 Kudos

Flying High!
Beta Tester
/16

michelle_tabor

• Beta Tester
92%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
michelle_tabor
Accepted Solution
you could have just edited my post, I only made an observation of meanness.

I shall repeat myself (the useful bit obviously), I have the fight and find it hard work because you are just punching air and strained my shoulders because there is no resistance like if you were punching a bag.
Anything that is fun means you are more likely to keep doing it so move games are good for that, anything that get's your heart rate up is good exercise :) (even if it's just dancing about)
0 Kudos

/16

DodgyDodge

82%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DodgyDodge
Accepted Solution
I bought EA Active 2 to get a bit fitter rather than loose weight but lost nearly half a stone in the first month. But I'm allready very slim and strugle to put on weight.
I bought a second set a few weeks ago in Game for £2.99 but I think it's back up to about 10 quid now. I think it might still be 7 quid in Morrisons.
The demos of The Fight and Kung Foo Live are very hard work but I didn't find them to be as much fun.

I also borowed my sisters Wii Fit for a while but found it totaly usles as you have to be to gentle with the board.
0 Kudos

/16

gino_76ph

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gino_76ph
Accepted Solution

I appreciate all the advice & suggestions about losing weight. (and the side issues as well:)

What i want to say is i know i am clinically obese though it doesn't show when i have clothes on because of my height being almost 6ft tall.

My biggest enemy of the moment is fizzy drinks, salty & spicy foods, pizza and basically eating late at night after work which is around 2100 p.m.

I am cutting down on all of them; whenever i eat late at night i "offset" that by hoovering the flat in the morning and then walking (not jogging) in the afternoon.

The nature of m y work is quite tiring and stressful. my only freetime is saturday but that has been "occupied" by laundry, more hoovering and just walking in the afternoon again; me and the wife would somtimes go out to places around London during the weekend but we just eat out & walk...NO ALCOHOL.

I really want to loose weight as i noticed that if i go from the ground floor to the second floor of a building (that i think is around 30-40 flights of stairs) i noticed i get just a wee bit short of breath.

Gym doesn't interest me becuase of some factors: that they cheat you into getting a contract and it becomes a hassle when cancelling a contract with them (see BBC Watchdog report), i have no time, no energy and would rather put my money on eating healthily. (and this moving house business)

I really want to try fitness/action games to start helping me loose weight.

0 Kudos

/16
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LittleBigDragonz
Accepted Solution

@ gino_76ph

Put some ( Fun ) into losing weight?

Or, if you and the misses want to do this together make wages against each other?This will help you get to your goals.

0 Kudos

/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

Hey gino you will get there, its slow and steady that wins the race.  It always seems to take a long time to take the weight off but so quick to put it on.

I had been taking a med for about a year, that helped me sleep at night, 

but when they prescribed it to me they didn't tell me this particular type of med caused weight gain.  I gained about 12kg in one year without changing my diet.  At first I thought it was funny because I was always thin when I was younger, and I hated being skinny, but when I got up to 98kg (Im only 5'7) it wasn't funny anymore and I realized something was wrong.  I just by chance found out about the weight gain of that medication, and i went off it, improved my diet, and have very slowly been shedding it off, lost 4kg in the last couple months and slowly still going.

Everyone on here seems to like that EA sports active 2, and I have to admit it looked really good in the trailers and I always wanted to try it, but its harder to find here in New Zealand now, once it went on special everyone seemed to buy it.  So Im keeping my eyes peeled for another copy

0 Kudos

/16

Farscape247

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Farscape247
Accepted Solution
If your obese at 98kg then god help me, my weight is 134kg but I am not obese it is all muscular, now someone please tell me how to lose muscle lol.
0 Kudos

Play More Live More
/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

Stop working out lol, that pretty much usually does it.

Bare in mind I'm only 5'7 so 98kg for me according to the charts is overweight.

Usually the heaviest I have been with mainly just muscle is around the 90kg mark, so 98 for me came with added bodyfat, which I'm now slowly shedding.  

0 Kudos

/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

By the way 134kg of pure muscle would rival Mr Olympia Phil Heath's weight, the top bodybuilder in the world, just sayin :)

0 Kudos

/16

bible-man

97%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bible-man
Accepted Solution

Triklops wrote:

Holy Heck Bible-Man I was just reeling yesterday from seeing some guys portable ID tag because he was level 18 with about 2700 trophies.  I wake up today, jump online and see you have only 2 shy of 3000 trophies, at level 19 with 45 platinums to boot!

I struggled my butt off to get full trophy completion on one game (Assassin's Creed 2), which had a couple very annoying, time consuming trophies.  

That's mad legendary man!

I sometimes get a little obsessed lol

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

Lol 36 trophies since yesterday, 

I'm lucky to get that in a fortnight,

anyways thats awesome,

big ups :)

0 Kudos

/16

emw80

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
emw80
Accepted Solution

Triklops wrote:

That's crazy!!

I never understood why so many haters out there gave the stink eye to Sony, treating them like a big evil corporation, when Microsoft has the history and reputation it has, and no one seems to bat an eyelid at them??

It really baffles me

I think the cause may be much to do with the core principles of the people involved.. Xbox/Microsoft (an American company), has people with a mixed bag of core principles, Playstation/Sony (a Japanese company) generally share the same core principle, we have all heard about Honor being a big thing over there.. but not in the US.

now it does come down to the individual of course and we shoudl always judge on personal merit, but in a ratio between the two, Japanese companies would come out with a better overall set of core principles (i think anyway).

then you could factor in things like the society, needs, aspirations. Americans as we see all the time want everything and they are always out to have more than anyone else around them which leads to backstabbing and dishonesty and corruption in gerneral, Japanese people seem to be humble people to a greater degree who actually care and value their elders, wheras in America it seems they cant wait to get their elderly parents/granparents into a nursing home so they can sell the property for their own greed and selfishness.

You can factor in lots of things and get the same kinds of picture, the east and west are totally different when compared on the principles.

The only good thing i see happening in the US rigvht now, is the Ron Paul liberty movement, his supporters are generally better principled people honest and humble with one honest goal for everyone.. liberty,, so saying that, there's hope for America yet.

But this is just my opinion and how i see things... there'll be millions more people who will rubbish what i have written here.

0 Kudos

/16

gino_76ph

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gino_76ph
Accepted Solution

Quite an interesting sidestep of opinions. 

Okay...back to my queries please. cutting down on carbs. leating less at night, drinking less of fizzy drinks, fruits & veg, more water...i get the point. walking. that's also ticked.

but what about games? 

0 Kudos

/16

Triklops

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triklops
Accepted Solution

I agree that Japan would hold those values you mentioned.  And I like that they also are more collective, in that they attribute any success to themselves as a group, and never independantly, never boasting about oneself.  I thought they were very humble in how they handled the network outage, the way they bowed, the things they gave all their customers for their patience.  

I guess thats why I'm confused by the subset of people who began bashing Sony and treating them like they were just a big greedy corporation.  Seems ironic given Microsoft's history.

Its also interesting to me, that in pure sales to date, there is only one million units difference, that PS3 is behind the xbox, which is good for PS3 considering it came out a whole year after Xbox.  Its pretty even the world over, the USA is the only place in the world that Xbox sells almost 2 to 1 against the PS3.  So I guess in America they pump the Xbox more. 

0 Kudos

/16

emw80

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
emw80
Accepted Solution

Triklops wrote:

I agree that Japan would hold those values you mentioned.  And I like that they also are more collective, in that they attribute any success to themselves as a group, and never independantly, never boasting about oneself.  I thought they were very humble in how they handled the network outage, the way they bowed, the things they gave all their customers for their patience.  

I guess thats why I'm confused by the subset of people who began bashing Sony and treating them like they were just a big greedy corporation.  Seems ironic given Microsoft's history.

Its also interesting to me, that in pure sales to date, there is only one million units difference, that PS3 is behind the xbox, which is good for PS3 considering it came out a whole year after Xbox.  Its pretty even the world over, the USA is the only place in the world that Xbox sells almost 2 to 1 against the PS3.  So I guess in America they pump the Xbox more. 

Yeah i remember watching that video as well when the Japanese execs came to talk about what was going on and they were bowing, i mean how much more humble can you get. they know the customer is everything to them. other companies (it would seem most thesedays), aare just out to milk the customers to death and overcharge for cheap products... then pull the plug when their company shares are bottoming out simply to change their company name and start over doing the same things as before.

In the end though, people will eventually catch on to it, and beging to flock to the honest people... that process of course is a long one and sometimes it is too late by the time people wake up.

Im not too happy about being on a 4th PS3, but im happy with what i get from Sony Playstation. free online play with friends, great features on the console, uber quality exclusives and PS+ (something i was skeptical about in the begining, but now i wonder why i waited to get it).. £40 per year for games, dlc, avatars, cloud storage.. is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the £40 per i used to spend on just xbox live LOL.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

emw80 wrote:

Triklops wrote:

hey EMW80 just curious about your graphic on the bottom of your post about the kid labour and xbox 360 controllers, is that true or just a joke?

It's a fact, AND Microsoft went back to do it again after being caught saying they had made sure standards were imporved LOL, but child labor in any case is simply not aceptable.

As are Sony, Nintendo, apple ect

http://kotaku.com/5875082/who-is-to-blame-for-slave-labor+made-game-consoles-gamers-or-game-companie...

http://kotaku.com/5874706/report-mass-suicide-threats-at-xbox-360-plant?popular=true

Vita made in China as is the Ps3 now along with loads of other stuff..

My guess is due to the loss Sony had last years it is now using cheap labour also.

But back on topic

Yes diet is important as you need to get the good stuff in you so you have the right energy to do the exersize.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LittleBigDragonz
Accepted Solution

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

emw80 wrote:

Triklops wrote:

hey EMW80 just curious about your graphic on the bottom of your post about the kid labour and xbox 360 controllers, is that true or just a joke?

It's a fact, AND Microsoft went back to do it again after being caught saying they had made sure standards were imporved LOL, but child labor in any case is simply not aceptable.

As are Sony, Nintendo, apple ect

http://kotaku.com/5875082/who-is-to-blame-for-slave-labor+made-game-consoles-gamers-or-game-companie...

http://kotaku.com/5874706/report-mass-suicide-threats-at-xbox-360-plant?popular=true

Vita made in China as is the Ps3 now along with loads of other stuff..

My guess is due to the loss Sony had last years it is now using cheap labour also.

But back on topic

Yes diet is important as you need to get the good stuff in you so you have the right energy to do the exersize.

Chinese factories are staffed with talented people and high tech robots. ( NOT just cheap labour ) Rather, it's an issue of whether or not the person who made the console is being treated fairly—or must negotiate by threatening to kill him or herself. ( Over Foxconn staffing assignments and transfer policies ) ( From 1st and 2nd link )

After talking with workers and management, it is our understanding that the worker protest was related to staffing assignments and transfer policies, not working conditions. Due to regular production adjustments, Foxconn offered the workers the option of being transferred to alternative production lines or resigning and receiving all salary and bonuses due, according to length of service. After the protest, the majority of workers chose to return to work. ( From 2nd Link )

So although " Foxconn makes Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony products. These workers about to kill themselves manufacture Xbox 360s " NOT the PS3, and not everything made in china is cheap labour ( as pointed out )

Here's MS investigating KYE with child labour making the 360 controllers http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-accused-of-using-chinese-child-labor-171416.phtml

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel