kidelot

55%
02 Rank
Progress

Have you had a refurbished PS3?

40 Replies 1,455 Views Created 07-03-2010
07 Mar 2010
By kidelot

I've read through quite a lot of posts about refurbished PS3 breaking down and have no confidence in Sony's testing ability. They seem to have a high failure rate. Another issue is copy protected saves, what if your refurbished PS3 breaks down after a few months, your going to lose all your protected saves again, what does that tell you about Sony relating to gamers?

I've called Sony and requested extra testing on my next PS3 I wonder if that'll make any difference 

I just wanted to find out how many people have had refurbished PS3,

Have you had any problems? If so,

What went wrong with?

How long until you had issues?

How many have you had?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TheTenth

96%
02 Rank
Progress
TheTenth
Accepted Solution
My refurb PS3 is awesome, for the firsst few weeks I was worried as I never heard the fan at all, thought it was broken, so I put folding@home and stayed near it, it took over 30 minutes for the fan to go to lvl 2, when it went to lvl 3 after a few seconds with the old one. When I play a game or watch a Blu-ray it can take 1 hour for the fan to become audible (lvl 2) and it almost nver gets to the level you can hear it over a conversation. i think they put it the newer parts, processor and thermal paste.
0 Kudos

Re: Have you had a refurbished PS3?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
lfcrule1972
Accepted Solution

flowrider wrote:

I am on my first refurb machine my original launch day 60Gb died from a power supply failure so sony replaced it like for like free of charge with a refurb unit. It has worked perfectly now for a little longer than a year apart from leap year day thing. However as others have said i did notice the cooling fans do seem to come on more often and are louder than i remember my original being. I thought maybe this was because it was winter and the house is warmer with my heating being on constantly but it seems to be the case all year round. I dont know much about protected saves but if you upgrade your hard drive and your PS3 fails surely when it goes back to SONY you can remove YOUR hard drive and put the original back in and then put your upgrade drive with all your saves etc on it into your replacement machine? would this solve this issue?

Sadly not - the PS3 will format the HDD unless it's replaced into the same machine you took it out of. :(
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

petrolheadzero

80%
02 Rank
Progress
petrolheadzero
Accepted Solution

Mate, 4 replacements in 3 years. The last one has lasted 2 weeks.

The quality of refurb must be getting worse.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

misterck

91%
09 Rank
Progress
misterck
Accepted Solution

i have a refurbed 120gb slim, had it for a year now and runs like a dream, fans get a bit loud but thats about it.

ive had 4 ps3's now and never seen the yellow light, only had that 1 system fail and it was the bluray drive that cacked it.

i was considering trading it for a brand new slim but the system they gave me is a european model will gamestation etc still trade those?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Capbwfc

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Capbwfc
Accepted Solution

first ps3 i got on launch day lasted over 12 months then it stopped reading disks, got a 60 gig refurb replacement which lasted about 6 months then got the ylod now using a 250 gig slim

just realised i posted on page 2 of this thread about not having any problems with refurb lol

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Happy_Gilmore96

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Happy_Gilmore96
Accepted Solution

No problems in over 2 years.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RogerJones947

96%
04 Rank
Progress
RogerJones947
Accepted Solution

Had 4 refurbs, first 3 only lasted a total of 5 mnths between them!!!!!

That said, number 4 is going strong (over 6 mnths now)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

patriot36954

76%
02 Rank
Progress
patriot36954
Accepted Solution

I had three refurbished ps3s, the first got YLOD after 2 months, the 2nd got YLOD fter 2 months and with the third the blu ray drive broke after 2 months. I gave up and bought a slim which i believe is 2 yrs old.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mattnz

23%
02 Rank
Progress
mattnz
Accepted Solution

My PS3 stopped reading disks 5 months ago. I paid the A$250 and since then I've had 3 refurbs die (YLOD). The original lasted ok, but these refurbs are hopeless, will be asking for my money back come morning.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

listamaphone

88%
02 Rank
Progress
listamaphone
Accepted Solution

my refurb is still working perfectly after 4 years only annoying thing is its louder than my hoover :p

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
lfcrule1972
Accepted Solution
Mmm I had 5 refurbs under Cont Play - in the end I traded the last one in at GAME and bought a Slim ! Best decision given that they remain very unreliable....
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

trekmeister3k

92%
02 Rank
Progress
trekmeister3k
Accepted Solution

I'm on my first re-furb after my original PS3 had a blu-ray drive failure that was just under 2 years old my re-furb obtained thru continuous play has been running nicely for over 2 years now, just get noisy fans every now and then but I open a window and it cools down quickly.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Chorlton

• Beta Tester
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Chorlton
Accepted Solution

lfcrule1972 wrote:
Mmm I had 5 refurbs under Cont Play - in the end I traded the last one in at GAME and bought a Slim ! Best decision given that they remain very unreliable....

I think i remember your posts about your issue's lfcrule.

Anyway, I had 2 with CP.  My 1st refurb packed up about a week after i got it.  Most anoying as i'd just finished downloading everything to it.

With the 2nd one, it started making the loud fan noise that my original did just before it packed up.

I did exactly the same as lfcrule - got my 4th refurb and legged it down to my local game shop and traded it for a 320gig slim - best decision i ever made.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ansteye

90%
04 Rank
Progress
ansteye
Accepted Solution

i had a refurb....i gave it away free to my mate as the fan noise was real bad. when i wanted to watch dvd or blu ray. i wouldnt be able to hear the bloody film.

had to get rid of it.

0 Kudos

photo titel_derek4.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bonezee

74%
04 Rank
Progress
bonezee
Accepted Solution

I had to replace my launch model back in january so it was nearly 4 years old.Sony sold me a refurb for £130 and that lasted 6 months!,as a gesture of goodwill sony replaced it.The next one only lasted a month and had resistance 2 stuck in it.Then i got another replacement and it gave up (YLOD) on friday night after only 5 weeks!,and wierdly i got my disc back saturday morning!.

I am gutted as GT5 V2.0 was released on tuesday and now i might not get my disc back for another 5 weeks!.I must admit that i'm really starting to loose the faith in sony and i'm considering chopping it in and getting an xbox as i hear that the new ones are a lot better.I'm no troll as my wife would tell anybody"but you're a sony fanboy".But i can't take any more of this ****!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

cain1974

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
cain1974
Accepted Solution

Hi all .  my 7th ps3 got YLOD last night just in a chat room. not over heating or anything like that. have rang sony AGAIN . i have not got a  refurb yet i have asked to talk to an superviser.  i have to wait 24 hours. and some how i bet nothing gets done .  but come on sony what are you playing at.  when i get my refurb  it will be my 8th .  what happens when i get to 10 . do i get a gold star. most of my ps3,s  had YLOD  . one had a very loud fan. sounded like a jet plain .   and now that sony have changed how they  swop the ps3,s  is not on.  you have to wait  for a week .  NOT GOOD SONY .   IM NOT A HAPPY PERSON . GET IT SURTED. And yes i do have Continuous Play.   i rang Domestic & General  told them . they made a note of it and told me to ring sony.  wow  what alot of help that was.  as i said befor IM NOT HAPPZY WITH THIS.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

joeMUFC85

80%
02 Rank
Progress
joeMUFC85
Accepted Solution

i got a refurb and to be fair it works absolutely fine always has but its just a little to loud (the fans) ;)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
lfcrule1972
Accepted Solution

Chorlton wrote:

lfcrule1972 wrote:

I think i remember your posts about your issue's lfcrule.

Anyway, I had 2 with CP.  My 1st refurb packed up about a week after i got it.  Most anoying as i'd just finished downloading everything to it.

With the 2nd one, it started making the loud fan noise that my original did just before it packed up.

I did exactly the same as lfcrule - got my 4th refurb and legged it down to my local game shop and traded it for a 320gig slim - best decision i ever made.

Yeah I had problems with Cont Play (after my 4th refurb replacement they cancelled my policy and didn't tell me !) luckily with many calls and persistence I got it sorted and they sent me a 5th refurb. It was this one that i traded in at GAME, was tired of nervously turning on and playing the PS3 for fear of YLOD, also had to get some activations back from Sony to be able to redownload my store items.... If you have the money and a working 60gb I would recommend getting a slim....via the GAME trade in option
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MartyTheParty

84%
02 Rank
Progress
MartyTheParty
Accepted Solution

I had one refurb from Sony. Got it after my launch day 60Gigger died, it lasted a spectacular 7HOURS!!! After that I refused point blank to accept another refurb and got them to replace it with a brand new 80Gigger. It died after 15months so I just went out and bought a slim, they seem to be much more reliable.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bonezee

74%
04 Rank
Progress
bonezee
Accepted Solution

My 6th refurb died last night after a month,luckily i got my brand new copy of MW3 out of it!.I rang sony this morning and they will only do a like for like swap,but they are gonna give me my replacement the same time as they take mine away,so just means i've got to borrow my sons for a couple of days.

I told the bloke on the phone that i'm not at all happy about this but he said he couldn't do anything at the moment but he has made a note on my account and if/when this one fails i'm gonna try and get a new one out of them,after all the *****e i've been through it's the least they can do.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel