03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

How The Playstation 3 can win the console war

132 Replies 708 Views Created 15-04-2012

Speaking from the heart

I have supported the Playstation 3 from day one and paid a lot of money in the console cost and games and accesories. I would like to make some suggestions as to how Sony can finally win the console war and secure the win. The Playstation 3 is a superiour machine however there are some things that need to be tackled that havent been delt with for years. These have needed to be done for years.

Backwards Compatability

Restoring this feature will allow your PS3 users access to a bigger games library and will allow them to play there favouritie PS2 games on there PS3 system. This will be very convinient and will also encourage or give incentive, motivation for the developers of the PS2 game supported on your PS3 to develop a Playstation 3 title or sequal to the Playstation 2 game on the Playstation 3. This will also allow new people to the Playstation Franchise see what being a Playstation 3 fan is all about and the advantages of this will greatly pay off in the long run.

The Playstation 3 could use more sequals and getting the classic Playstation Franchise  games comming

back as sequals on the Playstation 3 will make many anti Playstation fans quickly jump ship resulting in more games and console sales. Again in the long run this will pay off and will be exactly what you need.
Also on the Xbox 360 if you put in GTA San Andreas for example you can play this and even play this with upscaled graphics and better sound. Perhaps a Playstation 3 version of the Direct X driver to do this with Playstation 2 games could be possible. With the right people and team this can be done.

Restore Linux

Lets be fair here no one was happy with the problems caused when Sony removed this feature and ended up suing geohot for restoring this feature that was originaly promised to us. Also because of sony angering its users PSN ended up getting breached which just isnt what anyone wanted to ever happen. Decissions like removing linux is the reason why people lose confidence in the Playstation 3.This should be returned to the users and having this removed because of the actions of pirates , resulting in Playstation 3 users suffering over someone elses actions isnt fair. The Playstation 3 users have not done anything to deserve this and should not have there features removed. The issue is with the pirates not the Playstation 3 users we should be left out of it. Restoring this feature allows people to have there console be more than just a gaming machine. The hardware inside the Playstation 3 is capable of even runnings Windows 8 flawless for gods sake so keep Linux support on.

Developers to start using Full Blu Ray Disc Capacity

How long has the Playstation 3 been out for years and years yet there has been no incentive given or no motivation to developers to start making there games bigger and last longer. The Blu Ray drive was built for the sole purpose of offering people bigger and longer games over the rival Xbox 360 console yet barely any developers have took advantage of this. The games should be bigger and massive yet they are not and are just the same as the rival Xbox 360. This should be tackled because that would mean the Blu Ray Drive isnt been used for what it was originaly used for. Yes the Xbox 360 fans would complain but when it comes down to it there beefs would be with Microsoft.

Get the popular exclusives back

Resident Evil,Metal Gear Solid,Final Fantasy,Tekken have all gone to the Xbox 360. What needs to be done is to get all of these titles back as exclusives to the Playstation 3. If not then why not get us exclusive titles for these series on the Playstation 3. This way the Playstation 3 will still have exclusive games for it that people will want to play and own. This should of been tackled quickly but sadly was not. Doing this will make more and more people want a Playstation 3 and more people will jump ship.

Globalise Playstation Network

Making all the world content availible to everyone will allow other countries to purchase extra content and will make PSN stand out above the Rival Xbox Live. This would also make PSN a lot more interesting and would make a lot of people jump over to PSN. This would also give you a much superiour service and make the service amazing. The long term benenfits of doing this would greatly pay off.

Sequals to popular Playstation game series

Broken Sword, Destruction Derby,Music,Discworld etc we have not seen any HD remakes of the PS1 classics on the PS3 or sequals for the PS3 to these games and many more popular PS1 and PS2 games. Making sequals to the games that where popular from the previous Playstation 1 and 2 franchise will get a lot of people wanting a Playstation 3. This has not happend for years and needs to happen now. Owning a PS3 ment you had multiple advantages over other consoles yet for some bizzare reason Sony have not done this.

So there you have it exactly what Sony needs to do to restore peoples trust and to cripple the competition. Disagree with this all you want but the fact is the Playstation 3 is no where near what it is supposed to be doing and the issues should of been tackled ages ago.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
PlayStation 4 Thread Worth Reading check out

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3/1574671-playstation-4-a.html
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

gazberotten

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gazberotten
Accepted Solution

By the time the PS4 hits the cost of including the PS1 2, and 3 chipsets wont be anything more than a few dollars tops. If you think Sony shouldnt allow backwards compatability or take advantage of this then all you will be doing is paying for a console that is limited to one systems games and with the potential and risk to have promised features removed or forcibly removed from you off the Playstation 4 without any choice against your express consent. It happend with the Playstation 3 so whats stopping this from happening to the Playstation 4. There will be stacks of threads from people complaining about the Playstation 4 if the Backward compatability issues are not tackled along with other issues.

How many people who read this thread are to scared to comment or post there opinions for fear of criticisim or riducle? Ill bet its a good number. Fortuntely as a Sony fan i post how i feel on this subject.

0 Kudos

Re: How The Playstation 3 can win the console war

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

Well of course I'd like it, the more features the better but it wouldn't be a deal breaker because I'd definitely keep my PS3 as there are a great many games I'd still play on it and it's a rather nifty 3DBR player too.

They never removed it as such from PS3, the 60GB's still have BC. It's not really like otherOS.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
McNeilio
Accepted Solution
you post nonsense if u ask me

u have been banging on about the exact same stuff since i joined here and i remember having an argument with u about all the backwards compatibility stuff back then

i owned a launch day 60 gb ps3 and never once inserted a ps2 or ps1 game into it because they looked and played dreadful even compared to how they look on the original console

the only war is going on in your head
0 Kudos

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

gazberotten wrote:

By the time the PS4 hits the cost of including the PS1 2, and 3 chipsets wont be anything more than a few dollars tops. If you think Sony shouldnt allow backwards compatability or take advantage of this then all you will be doing is paying for a console that is limited to one systems games and with the potential and risk to have promised features removed or forcibly removed from you off the Playstation 4 without any choice against your express consent. It happend with the Playstation 3 so whats stopping this from happening to the Playstation 4. There will be stacks of threads from people complaining about the Playstation 4 if the Backward compatability issues are not tackled along with other issues.

How many people who read this thread are to scared to comment or post there opinions for fear of criticisim or riducle? Ill bet its a good number. Fortuntely as a Sony fan i post how i feel on this subject.

could not careless TBH my opinion is my opinion and I have as much right to express it as any one.

Ps4 may play them

the Ps4 may not play them

No one knows right now.

It was not a cheap affair to get ps2 games to work on Ps3 and also they were terrible on Ps3. three reasion to get it removed

1, Cost

2, the ps3 made the ames look worse

3, Ps3 sales were faultering so the price needed lowering which swings back to option reasion 1.

Ps2 hardware is cheap enough as much of a pain it is to set it up and the ps2 games look much better.

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
BC is one of the least worries on my mind when I'm thinking about current, or next gen consoles! I want to play the latest games that are up to date! That utilise the power of said machine and look glorious in HD!

I, and Sony know I am in the majority here. You, OP, are in a minority.

Past >> Present >>>> Future. I want my technology to be going forwards, not being restricted because it has to squeeze PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation 3 inside if we're talking PS4 and upping the costs just to keep a few people happy!
0 Kudos

/16

gazberotten

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gazberotten
Accepted Solution

The cost of a few dollars less than what 6 bucks i dont think people are going to mind full backwards compatability espeically since it wont affect them and will stop all the people out there complaining. You wouldnt be seeing threads like this if they did that.

Anyway i accept they wont bring it back with the PS3, as for the PS4 lets hope they just add the chips to the mainboard and then have PS4 chips to. Might as well have a decent motherboard with our PS4.

0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

gazberotten wrote:

The cost of a few dollars less than what 6 bucks i dont think people are going to mind full backwards compatability espeically since it wont affect them and will stop all the people out there complaining. You wouldnt be seeing threads like this if they did that.

Anyway i accept they wont bring it back with the PS3, as for the PS4 lets hope they just add the chips to the mainboard and then have PS4 chips to. Might as well have a decent motherboard with our PS4.

6 bucks love to know where you got that from.

Do you think people complaining in threads like this bother Sony?

Most people do not care for BWC we are in a small minority.

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LittleBigDragonz
Accepted Solution

To the OP, PS4 might use forward compatibility. Ever thought of that?

But until it's here we can only guess the IF'S and BUT'S of the console.

Now Sony have not removed backward compatibility from the four 1st released PS3's, Sony have not removed the Linux OS feature from the consoles that had the OS on them to begin with.

It is only as time passed that these features got dropped from other PS3 consoles. That's just the way it goes. Sony stopped supporting the Linux OS for a reason, and everyone knows this. ( Nothing to do with PS4 ) PS4, will use backward compatibility anyway.  Example could be = USB 3.0 being backwards compatible with USB 2.0.

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
96%
14 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
castaway666
Accepted Solution
Forward Compatibility - Whut?!
0 Kudos

/16
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LittleBigDragonz
Accepted Solution

castaway666 wrote:
Forward Compatibility - Whut?!

http://www.ps4talk.com/will-the-ps4-have-forward-compatibility-12054119/

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
96%
14 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
castaway666
Accepted Solution
pah just witchcraft and hokum!
0 Kudos

/16

gazberotten

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gazberotten
Accepted Solution

Would this Forwards compatability also apply to Playstation 1 and 2 games as well or would they just limit this forwards compatability to Playstation 3 and 4 games only?

Why pay a load of money on a console that wont utilise the PS4s hardware for the old games to make them look a lot better and perform better? There are still PS1 and PS2 and PS3  titles that people would love to see supported on the Playstation 4 with forwards compatability.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

gazberotten wrote:

Would this Forwards compatability also apply to Playstation 1 and 2 games as well or would they just limit this forwards compatability to Playstation 3 and 4 games only?

Why pay a load of money on a console that wont utilise the PS4s hardware for the old games to make them look a lot better and perform better? There are still PS1 and PS2 and PS3  titles that people would love to see supported on the Playstation 4 with forwards compatability.

Forward compatable not backwards comapatable

Sort of like PC games the game will look better on a more powerful PC

The developer will make it a Ps3 game but with hidden coding that would make it better if played on the Ps4.

Most people will want the Ps4 to uterlise it for Ps4 games.

Ps1 and ps2 games don't look any better on Ps3 so why would they on Ps4?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Below is a Signature

/16

gazberotten

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gazberotten
Accepted Solution

PS1 and Ps2 games dont look better because they have not been upscaled to the 1080P and only run at the PS2's settings. Having the PS3 run them at higher settings will make them look and perform ten times better. This wouldnt of  affected the PS4 in playing the new PS4 titles either.

The real question is if you have that feature and advantage over the Next gen Xbox why wouldnt you want that to happen with the Playstation 4?.

The Playstation 4 should not discriminate against what type of Playstation format game is inserted but instead play it and run it at higher settings like resolution loading times and sound etc. If PS2 emulators out there for the PC can do that with PS2 games without any emotion chip needed then its only a matter of time before PS3 games end up running on pcs in the future. The Playstation 4's hardware will be more than capable of doing this. The cell processor in the PS3 isnt being used to its full potential yet. The slogan on PS3 is it only does everything yet it doesnt.

Perhaps the PS4 needs to succedd in areas where the PS3 has failed and prove to the world Playstation is the way to go.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

You cannot just upscale a game on the fly making them 1080p, you're highly misled.. Games like HD Collections take months to be reprogrammed, new textures redrawn and sometimes new character models (Strangers Wrath) because the polygon count was a lot lower when it was restricted to the PS2 so can only be upscaled so much.

Why do you think we dont see original PS HD collections....? Because they cannot be done, they would need to be re built from the ground up.

Your looking into it too deeply as well. It does not upscale the games, it sharpens them up and most importantly, it improves performance from the extra power.

READ CAREFULLY:

Incase you don’t know, forwards compatibility is the ability for the PS4 to play PS3 games at a vastly improved level. We’re not just talking things looking a little better, we’re talking the level of re-draw being vastly improved, or the possibility of multiplayer games being able to feature 32 players online instead of 16 etc. Basically the PS3 game benefits from the extra hardware capabilities of a new system.

Its the same as the PS3 ''Smoothing'' PS games it doesn't and cannot up the resolution. But the extra power can draw textures in slightly quicker, and draw distances. Thus making the game play smoother, and maybe soften up the edges slightly to ''look a little better.''

Dude your obsessed. Let it go, enjoy the games of the current gen and if you want a blast from the past wire your PS2/PS up and play the games how they was designed to be played.

I don't see people moaning that the Wii U, or Wii doesn't play SNES games at 4320p a gazzilion frames per second :|

Move on.

0 Kudos

Re: How The Plantation 3 can win the console war

[ Edited ]
/16

mezzor

79%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mezzor
Accepted Solution
As far as I'm concerned, Playstation won around 5 years ago ;-)
0 Kudos

/16
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LittleBigDragonz
Accepted Solution

I look at it like this. People seem to only see the bad and not so much the good in things when it domes to PS3 or PSN.

Example, PS3 removed OS / PS2 Backward Compatibility, Removed USB's, Removed Memory Card Slots, ect.

But they don't see that the things that got added for the better..

Example, PS3 added 3D support, Updated HDMI features, PS3 added better Surround Sound features, Added Trophy Support, Lower running costs, Bravia sync on XMB, Bigger HDD's, ect

Things change as time goes by. It's just the way it is.

0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

LittleBigDragonz wrote:

I look at it like this. People seem to only see the bad and not so much the good in things when it domes to PS3 or PSN.

Example, PS3 removed OS / PS2 Backward Compatibility, Removed USB's, Removed Memory Card Slots, ect.

Example, PS3 added 3D support, Updated HDMI features, PS3 added better Surround Sound features, Added Trophy Support, Lower running costs, Bravia sync on XMB, Bigger HDD's, ect

agreed

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

LittleBigDragonz wrote:

Too right chief.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
Amen to that as well.

/thread :D
0 Kudos

/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

I think Sony and Microsoft would work together in the future, cos if I'm not rightly mistaken I'm sure Sony said they would like to incorporate the Xbox Kinect within their products and the only people who are bothered with these ridiculous wars is fanboys from either side, that are hell bent on calling victory. Both Sony and Microsoft have had their ups and downs with this console generation; but they'll learn from their mistakes. If the two major corporations get together and create technology for both machines, they'll find the parts to be cheaper to manufactur instead of having to source parts independently. As far as I am aware, Sony are stuck for cash at the moment so why don't they look to the opposition for help on their next machine. 

0 Kudos

To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel