Problem Solved

View Original Post
24 Mar 2012
By ocelot07

ocelot07

97%
06 Rank
Progress

I know GAME are in trouble...............

56 Replies 1,193 Views Created 24-03-2012
24 Mar 2012
By ocelot07

But this is low.

A picture has been submitted to us via an anonymous source showing the terrible practices GAME are stooping to; to claw in some last minute profits.

In what appears to be a desperate attempt to shift the back log of games cluttering up the storerooms of troubled retailer GAME, in the picture you can see that copies of Mass Effect 2 have had the '2' in their titles conveniently covered over by a price sticker - the low price of £18 to be exact and plonked on the number 1 slot of their chart games display.

Its pretty obvious what the intention is here and it is utterly disgusting. There are of course plenty of us who would recognise that box art to be of Mass Effect 2 and not the new release, but there are also many parents, friends, people not so in the know wanting to pick up Mass Effect 3 for a loved one. These people probably aren't even aware that GAME isn't even stocking Mass Effect 3. 

Overall, its a pretty disgusting underhanded tactic, and in my personal opinion, for pulling stunts like this, they deserve what is coming to them. 

What are your opinions of tactics like this? Do they boil your blood as much as they do ours here at GameGrin? 

We will update this post once we know exactly what branch this picture was taken at.

Source: http://www.gamegrin.com/game/news/2012/stay-classy-game-right-till-the-end

Shamefull.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
frodouk
Accepted Solution

babaoriley3 wrote:
If I'm being truthful, I'd look at that and think it was Mass Effect, seeing as the number is covered up

It is Mass Effect, so you'd be right.

0 Kudos

Re: I know GAME are in trouble...............

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
95%
09 Rank
Progress
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:

babaoriley3 wrote:
If I'm being truthful, I'd look at that and think it was Mass Effect, seeing as the number is covered up

It is Mass Effect, so you'd be right.

:D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
95%
09 Rank
Progress
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ocelot07

97%
06 Rank
Progress
ocelot07
Accepted Solution

GAME.CO.UK and GameStation.co.uk are both down and both saying this.

MJA Jervis and SD Maddison have been appointed as Joint Administrators of The GAME Group plc, Game Stores Group Limited, Gameplay (GB) Limited, Game (Stores) Limited, Games Station Limited, Game (Retail) Limited and Gamestation Limited on 26 March 2012, to manage their affairs, business and property as their agents and without personal liability.

We are currently reviewing and processing orders placed on this website.

MJA Jervis and SD Maddison are licensed in the United Kingdom to act as insolvency practitioners by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.

Gamestation.co.uk has been taken offline for scheduled maintenance.
We are sorry for any inconvenience, but hope you enjoy the extra gaming time!

If you need to speak to our Customer Service team you can get in touch at

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Royston99

99%
05 Rank
Progress
Royston99
Accepted Solution
They have gone into administration. All stores in Birmingham have shut except 1 in the Bull Ring, thats including the flagship GameStation store which was the biggest in Europe. Kenilworth has gone, and so has 1 in Coventry (west orchards). Not sure about else where, but the remaining 3 in Coventry are still under threat
0 Kudos

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Coventry City FC Fan, BSc Hons in Computer Science.
PS1 original, PS2 original & slim, PS3 original & slim, PSP original, PSVita Day 1, PS4 Day 1 Player Edition bundle #4ThePlayers
YouTube Channel - Gaming | Sporting Events | Music Events

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
76%
04 Rank
Progress
barebackbadger81
Accepted Solution

Royston99 wrote:
They have gone into administration. All stores in Birmingham have shut except 1 in the Bull Ring, thats including the flagship GameStation store which was the biggest in Europe. Kenilworth has gone, and so has 1 in Coventry (west orchards). Not sure about else where, but the remaining 3 in Coventry are still under threat

surprised at the brum main store by cinema shutting down!

locally to me, they have shut 1 out 3 stores in wolverhampton.

the only dudley one and shut 1 of the 3 stores in merry hill centre.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Squidooer

98%
06 Rank
Progress
Squidooer
Accepted Solution

I can't believe how many ppl are actually sticking up for GAME on this one.

The thing about this is how many ppl have fallen for this and tried to return the game saying they were mislead? And what would be GAME's reply to said response?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
14 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
not been in a store for a while, are they selling off stock dirt cheap at the mo? (those still open)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Royston99

99%
05 Rank
Progress
Royston99
Accepted Solution
Not dirt cheap no, they are selling at the Spring Sale prices, so example Skate 1 - £7.98, Resistance 1 - £4.98... they were cheaper on the very first day of the sale, where i got Resistance 1 for 98p. They arent selling cheap, because stock will just get moved to another store if they shut
0 Kudos

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Coventry City FC Fan, BSc Hons in Computer Science.
PS1 original, PS2 original & slim, PS3 original & slim, PSP original, PSVita Day 1, PS4 Day 1 Player Edition bundle #4ThePlayers
YouTube Channel - Gaming | Sporting Events | Music Events

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

teh-gamer

90%
03 Rank
Progress
teh-gamer
Accepted Solution

ocelot07 wrote:

But this is low.

A picture has been submitted to us via an anonymous source showing the terrible practices GAME are stooping to; to claw in some last minute profits.

In what appears to be a desperate attempt to shift the back log of games cluttering up the storerooms of troubled retailer GAME, in the picture you can see that copies of Mass Effect 2 have had the '2' in their titles conveniently covered over by a price sticker - the low price of £18 to be exact and plonked on the number 1 slot of their chart games display.

Its pretty obvious what the intention is here and it is utterly disgusting. There are of course plenty of us who would recognise that box art to be of Mass Effect 2 and not the new release, but there are also many parents, friends, people not so in the know wanting to pick up Mass Effect 3 for a loved one. These people probably aren't even aware that GAME isn't even stocking Mass Effect 3. 

Overall, its a pretty disgusting underhanded tactic, and in my personal opinion, for pulling stunts like this, they deserve what is coming to them. 

What are your opinions of tactics like this? Do they boil your blood as much as they do ours here at GameGrin? 

We will update this post once we know exactly what branch this picture was taken at.

Source: http://www.gamegrin.com/game/news/2012/stay-classy-game-right-till-the-end

Shamefull.

Oh my look all the red stickers are placed over the same exact position oh no they must be trying to confuse everyone, sorry i had to lol at your flawed logic, game have always placed thier red stickers in the top right, it is not thier fault if it covers the 2 heck it could as eaisly be confused for Mass Effect 1 as well as 3, I am not sticking up for game but your logic is pretty flawed I mean if all the other stickers were top left then yes deliberate misdirection by game but seeming as all the red stickers are in the same position then I see no misdirection at all. 

0 Kudos

Teh gamer is doing a 24 hour game a thon for Shrewsbury and Telford hospital please give what you can here https://www.justgiving.com/Ifor-Edwards1

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ocelot07

97%
06 Rank
Progress
ocelot07
Accepted Solution

teh-gamer wrote:

ocelot07 wrote:

But this is low.

Shamefull.

Oh my look all the red stickers are placed over the same exact position oh no they must be trying to confuse everyone, sorry i had to lol at your flawed logic, game have always placed thier red stickers in the top right, it is not thier fault if it covers the 2 heck it could as eaisly be confused for Mass Effect 1 as well as 3, I am not sticking up for game but your logic is pretty flawed I mean if all the other stickers were top left then yes deliberate misdirection by game but seeming as all the red stickers are in the same position then I see no misdirection at all. 

My flawed logic? I never writ the story I just simply posted it here. Look at the time I posted this 12:00am. I was tired after a very long day. I should off been in bed never mind reading web sites. I never really took notice to the other games with the stickers on.

But GAME could of easily just put the stickers some where else on the box like on Shepherds face. That way the no title would of been covered or the age rating ect. Plus I do find it a little strange that GAME online and instore was selling this for £7.99 2 weeks ago. Then go and put the price up to £17.99 and put it to number 1 in the charts.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

teh-gamer

90%
03 Rank
Progress
teh-gamer
Accepted Solution

ocelot07 wrote:

My flawed logic? I never writ the story I just simply posted it here. Look at the time I posted this 12:00am. I was tired after a very long day. I should off been in bed never mind reading web sites. I never really took notice to the other games with the stickers on.

But GAME could of easily just put the stickers some where else on the box like on Shepherds face. That way the no title would of been covered or the age rating ect. Plus I do find it a little strange that GAME online and instore was selling this for £7.99 2 weeks ago. Then go and put the price up to £17.99 and put it to number 1 in the charts.

You are correct game could of put the sticker somewhere else on the box, but as the picture shows and as I have already said that game have always done that, so why change that all of a sudden?

I also agree that Game online probably was selling Mass Effect 2 for £7.99, but here is the truth believe it or not. Game online aren't actually Game as in Game Stores (brick & mortar) they are more of a glorified "Game despatch depo" that uses the Game brand name.

Therefore because of their relatively smaller overheads they can sell games at a much cheaper price than Game Stores (brick & mortar) could ever do. You see many people seem to forget is that it is expensive to run brick & mortar shops, any and all company's have to make some profit for this expense from somewhere, which unfortunately for Game this involved their "hicked up" prices, which because of the"pass on" to consumers of trying to make a profit drove people away from their stores.

I have never done business studies or anything like that, but even I understand why things went wrong for Game and that in all honesty, they should of gone to be an ecommerce company a long long time ago.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Teh gamer is doing a 24 hour game a thon for Shrewsbury and Telford hospital please give what you can here https://www.justgiving.com/Ifor-Edwards1

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

teh-gamer wrote:

I also agree that Game online probably was selling Mass Effect 2 for £7.99, but here is the truth believe it or not. Game online aren't actually Game as in Game Stores (brick & mortar) they are more of a glorified "Game despatch depo" that uses the Game brand name.

Therefore because of their relatively smaller overheads they can sell games at a much cheaper price than Game Stores (brick & mortar) could ever do. You see many people seem to forget is that it is expensive to run brick & mortar shops, any and all company's have to make some profit for this expense from somewhere, which unfortunately for Game this involved their "hicked up" prices, which because of the"pass on" to consumers of trying to make a profit drove people away from their stores.

and thats where it all goes horribly wrong.

there was no need to seperate the online buisness and the retail buisness. They should have also changed the name to gameonline or some other name because they were keeping the buisness seperate but the online buisness still sent customers into stores to deal with refunds etc.

there are many buisnesses about that intergrate online sales as a boost to the retail side. those stores are doing a roaring trade (considering the circumstances) 

game *****ed up to much and their reputation to a nosedive, hardcore gamers went elsewhere and luxury goods are in the toilet because of the recession.  chuck in the overal trend of online sales and now the growing digital age and you see the traditional high street is dead.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

RBS and its 5 other banks backing groups are expected to get accepted today  to Keep GAME going.

Comet Group increased offer is expected to get rejected again today in favour of RBS. Leeding to Game remaining stores to continue to operate.

The Game group will then return to normal trading again on Friday.

The remaining staff can then Put this hole mess behind them.  

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
98%
14 Rank
Progress
castaway666
Accepted Solution
Well prices just seem to be going back up so looks like they're trying the busines as usual. part of me would like them to stay open as end of the day they're one of the first places new gamers will go to with parents. I know it was with me back in the E.B days.. but they really need to sort their business model out.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel