92% percent of messages responded to

03 Apr 2012
By Envisager

Envisager

• Community Manager
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Introducing the Official PlayStation Community Magazine!

[ Edited ]
73 Replies 4,213 Views edited 03-04-2012

Hey community!

As some of you may or may not be aware, we have been working on a brand new project down in the Fan Art section!

After discussion with the MVP's we thought it would be a great idea to create a magazine that is completely compiled by the community for the community. So here we are, we are ready to un-leash the very first edition!

We would love to not only get your feedback on the first edition, but we want you to get involved or even just give us ideas of what you would like to see in future editions.

So without further ado, here it is, Episode 1!

Enjoy!

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

THE_FORCE

• Award Winner
89%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
THE_FORCE
Accepted Solution

Jesus H Christ - that is friggin' A ! 

It's been executed so well. You've set the bar a bit high for yourselves lol !

0 Kudos

Re: Introducing the Official PlayStation Community Magazine!

/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
existenz1
Accepted Solution

Heres my feedback

great job guys

can you make the pages so they are sized for a computer screen, not a printed magazine format

for future editions can you do include one article (one each edition ?) on some of the more epic game series that have either recently released a new edition or hd remake one per edition

e.g

darksiders 1 and 2 (1 is soo good, I cant see how two can reach its heights)

devil may cry

mass effect (1), 2 and 3

talk about launch dates, main characters, screenshots, author etc

Ys rpgs

final fantasy

mgs

etc

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

bcfc545

• Beta Tester
91%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bcfc545
Accepted Solution

Looks fantastic....Great job to everyone involved

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

LadyCroft75

• Award Winner
97%
14 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LadyCroft75
Accepted Solution

Amazing work guys :)

0 Kudos

UnofficialXperiencePlayUnofficial's website
PlayUnofficial's FacebookPlayUnofficial's TwitterPlayUnofficial's Google+PlayUnofficial's Ludomedia

/16

Loco311

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Loco311
Accepted Solution

Impressive, I enjoyed the feature on the KARA demo, its something a bit different to reviews.

Is this intended to be monthly?

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

Loco311 wrote:

Impressive, I enjoyed the feature on the KARA demo, its something a bit different to reviews.

Is this intended to be monthly?

I think it's going to be quaterly.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
Good stuff OPC.
0 Kudos

/16

homerjnick

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
homerjnick
Accepted Solution
Very impressive tbh...
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

Just had my second flick through & I just noticed my fave part - a certain comment about a certain by a certain person in the guilty pleasures item :D

0 Kudos

Flying High!
/16

Richy-R10

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Richy-R10
Accepted Solution

Nice work to the people involved! Great read! would happily pay for it, it was that profesional.

Sony should have a look at signing the people involved in making such a great mag!

Full credit to you all, especially when im sure alot of you have other things to be doing like work or college!

Look forward to the next one!

0 Kudos

/16
99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Solid_Snake12345
Accepted Solution

Err...wow. That looks very professionally done. Well done to all involved te wrok truly has paid off. As for feedback, I've some ideas:

The first is if there could be an editor if there isn't one already simply to read over it all, proofread it, add any punctuation if necessary. I've only skimmed it briefly and I didn't see any major errors but it would not hurt just to have somebody to read over everything. Much more importantly, if a standard review format could be decided upon it would definitely help create a more unified feel to the magazine. The first thing to note is whether or not reviews should have a score (personally I think it's better when a review does not feature a score as it encourages the user to end up reading the whole article as opposed to just glancing at the end for the review score). If a review score is to be implemented then you need to look at the scale. Will it be a five point one? Ten point? Twenty point? Or will it be a one hundred point scale?  Then there is also the question if it is implemented of what each score will mean? For most reviewers there is an issue where almost every game ends up getting an 80% or higher, a score that should mean a very good game is now the average and the only scores that matter are 8, 9 and 10 with anything lower a bad or unworthy game. The editor would need to try and discuss with the reviewers about whether or not they've scored a game too high or too low based upon their review so that the reader feels like the score is deserved. This would allow reviews to seem more legitimate and it would make it easier to compare with other games if the score (if there was one) was placed under more scrutiny. It would also be their work to try to remain objective also, not letting their own personal opinion impact upon the content.

Secondly, I don't know if this is simply due to OCD or whether it is an annoyance to others but I'm wondering whether or not most magazines have their articles spread throughout the magazine as opposed to all together? What I mean by this is I'm wondering whether or not you should put all the reviews one after another, the top stories one after another and the other articles one after another? If other magazines have them spread out then I guess it's the right design but it makes it more difficult to navigate for me (only slightly though since it's not like there's two hundred pages to go through) since I either must keep going back to the contents or clicking through the pages until I find the article I'm looking for. This probably isn't an issue for most people though.

Third, very minor, I remember seeing on a similar project somewhere else that in the content page the actual names of the articles served as links to those articles. So for example if I clicked on the Unit 13 Review in the contents it would bring me to that page in the magazine. I have no idea as to whether or not such a thing is available in the software that is being used to create this so this may not be possible but it would be a nice touch to help make navigation a little easier if it was possible and save you from clicking through each page.

Fourth, an increase in content would not go amiss either (which is mainly why I have focused on navigational issues [to me] preceeding this). Now I realise that there is constraints due to it being uploaded by members but an increase in news and reviews would greatly benefit the magazine. With regard to the increase in news two or three articles about various news topics between issues would succeed in giving it an even more professional feel and help to inform the readers of things that are being reported elsewhere. Likewise more game reviews if possible would give the reader much more content and would encourage them to spend a longer time reading i and a broad range of games would make the magazine appeal to more people. I also have two things to suggest. The first would perhaps to have a "Retro Reviews" section in order to allow people to review older games in addition to the new releases. Secondly, if it's going to remain at three reviews an issue perhaps having two people to do two different reviews of a game could be an interesting way to try and encourage readers, giving two seperate reviews (which should be objective yet generally are not unfortunately) is something nowhere else does to my knowledge and it would create something unique for the magaziine.

Fifth, feature articles would definitely not go amiss at the beginning of the magazine to instantly give something with quite alot of content. Although for obvious reasons it probably won't get major exclusive previews or reveals a major title but in saying that a discussion article on news, rumours, speculation or a controversial issue (pre-owned games, on disk DLC, shutting down servers etc.) could just as easily be used.

Sixth the rest of these are pretty small, any chance that there will be just a small section, perhaps on the side of a page of upcoming games?

Seventh, I think (not 100% sure) that there is still a trophy hoarder section on the forum so getting a list of hints for a popular game that has just been released could be a good idea.

Eight, perhaps just a small tiny section on PSN Games in that month, a list of minis, full games, demos, PS Plus stuff and other content that has been uploaded in the month.

Ninth, another small thing but at the end of any news section perhaps just a brief list of popular threads on this forum or popular news so that users can then go search for more news if they wished.

However, the magazine looks incredible as it is and I'm taken back by how well designed it is.

EDIT: One more thing that could be done without trying to edit the format of the actual magazine is if there was a feature review for the issue which would be the prominent review, generally for the most anticipated game of the month.

Also, since I know the magazine is planned to be done on a quarterly basis I hope you realise that when I say "month" in the post I'm more referring to "in between each issue" but I didn't want to type that out, what would have bee, a repetitive and unnecessary amount of times.

Also, I'm aware that the vast majority of these suggestions are probably not feasable due to the amount of people it would require and how that amount of people would be required every two weeks to produce it so I'm not saying the omission of these suggestions would be bad or anything, simply ways that I feel it could possibly be improved (which again isn't to say that it is currently bad, it looks incredible).

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Loco311

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Loco311
Accepted Solution

Solid_Snake12345 wrote:

I also have two things to suggest. The first would perhaps to have a "Retro Reviews" section in order to allow people to review older games in addition to the new releases. Secondly, if it's going to remain at three reviews an issue perhaps having two people to do two different reviews of a game could be an interesting way to try and encourage readers, giving two seperate reviews (which should be objective yet generally are not unfortunately) is something nowhere else does to my knowledge and it would create something unique for the magaziine.

Given that this magazine is written by the community, for the community it differs somewhat from other review/news sources. Theres no editor pushing you as a writer to be the first to do anything, you don't have to publish the first review of a title to get the most hits etc etc this allows for a more unique take on things.

Rolling reviews have been called for this gen since DLC and patches seem to be a mainstay of modern gaming and whilst a magazine is not the best place to attempt this there is an alternative. Potentially, a 'cheap thrills' section could be implemented whereby a game (possibly a recent addition to the bargain bin thread) is reviewed based on its current  state, i.e. patches (Modnation racers load time patch springs to mind), state of the online community, active players, time spent waiting in lobbies. A release day review of burnout paradise would differ vastly to a review written tomorrow for instance.

On to the aforementioned 'retro reviews', something that interests me greatly given I still play on my older consoles a fair bit, this is a good idea, provided its done properly, but again, it needs to discuss the relevance of the retro title in 2012, why does it surpass titles released today in the same genre? Why shouldn't I play something newer? And this sort of goes without saying, but the reviewer needs to make sure their rose tinted specs are well and truly off. Just some minor input.

And thanks to whoever clarified the release as quarterly.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

THE_FORCE

• Award Winner
89%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
THE_FORCE
Accepted Solution

Where's everyone's post count gone ?

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

englishgolfer

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
englishgolfer
Accepted Solution

THE_FORCE wrote:

i ate them all for breakfast.... nom nom nom nom

0 Kudos

Community Forum Events | Click for all things Uncharted! | Community Twitch Channel

Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
/16

Tilly-uk

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tilly-uk
Accepted Solution

englishgolfer wrote:

THE_FORCE wrote:

FATTY!

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

englishgolfer

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
englishgolfer
Accepted Solution

Tilly-uk wrote:

englishgolfer wrote:

THE_FORCE wrote:

FATTY!

*rolls over to tilly*

who you calling fat?

:)

0 Kudos

Community Forum Events | Click for all things Uncharted! | Community Twitch Channel

Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
/16

CaptainCortez

97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CaptainCortez
Accepted Solution

@Solid_Snake12345 - You raise some very good points.

I already thought of a hints and tips section before the mag went out (with Mattsimmo) and I think if we can get the Trophy Hoarders to share their knowledge in the mag, it'll be a great addition, serving as a way to aid others in game, who may not be entirely familiar with the forums.

I say this because the Playstation Community Mag is advertised on the home page of the forums, so anyone just checking the forums for the first time can easily have a browse through it, as it's in a place that's most noticeable. :)

I've offered to do the editing after I've typed my own articles up and I think there's a possibility there will be two people editing, with Mattsimmo overseeing (no doubt, checking things over himself for a third time), so that's not going to be a problem.

I think next issue I'll be making some signatures to help promote the magazine, advertising it over my twitter page (@CaptainCortez) and over facebook. This will not only help to grow the fan base of the magazine, but will also serve as a way to attract more people to write for it, as it gives them an opportunity to contribute with whatever they so desire. This is why there may be less content to begin with because there are only a limited number of people working on it, but as people become more aware of the quality it has and what it offers, this is when more people will start to get involved. :)

As far as content goes, I think the community can pretty much do what they want. For example, I want to design the front cover for the next issue, as well as continuing to write more articles for the mag. I used to write for a pretty small games journalism group called the Sticktwiddlers and actually covered Devil May Cry (HD Collection and the new DmC) a fair amount, so can pull stuff from there and rewrite everything as DMC is my favourite gaming series of all time, so I can go nuts with my knowledge and hopefully present you with another good read!

As a little personal side note (more for my own benefit), what did you think of my Shadows of the Damed review, as well as my Lollipop Chainsaw Preview?

I love my wacky games (No More Heroes, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand etc), so if you have any requests, feel free to fire them my way!

Everyone involved would like your feedback on absolutely everything, so if you want more from us, let us know what you're after. If you want to get involved, let us (or more specifically Mattsimmo) know what you want to get involved with. He's easy and great to get along with and the mods have put a great deal of time and effort into making this a reality too, so don't hesitate to get in contact with Wretched_Hawk, Yaster, LordRoss, Kloudshun, Bambaroo and Envisager as they'd no doubt be more than happy to help.

I'm only a PM away, too. :)

P.s. When Mattsimmo said quarterly, he meant out of the year, not week. So, you're likely to see a mag every three months! ;)

Thanks very much for the feedback!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

gymno74

99%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gymno74
Accepted Solution

i have to agree with everyone so far, in that the mag looks extremely professional.

it's amazing that some forum members got together & did this. nice one.

my only criticism would be that it's not very ps3 browser friendly.

i'm sure there are very good reasons for this & that the developers know what the issues are, but here's my main two:

1) constraints of the zoom tab. ie: i'd love to be able to press R3, then use L2 & R2 as usual to get the size just right.

2) the right analogue stick is defunct, leaving the left one to do both jobs. it's a bit tricky to use.

come to think of it, that's the only two criticisms. good job:)

0 Kudos

/16

Grim_Tim_

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Grim_Tim_
Accepted Solution
Is this mag in a downloadable format?
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

mattsimmo

• Beta Tester
96%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mattsimmo
Accepted Solution

@gymno74 i'll hold my hands up there and plead guilty to not testing it on the ps3 browser.  With the way the hosting site works, I can't see this changing for the browser on the ps3unfortunately.  I will certainly look into anything that can be done to change the ps3 browser format.

@grim at the moment, there isn't.  we'll certainly look into what download options are available through the hosting site for the next issue.

@ other replies - thank you again for your feedback, we are taking note of what you've wrtitten.  what I would add is that, when you provide feedback of what you would like to see, please let us know if you would be personally interested in writing the said article(s) etc.

as mentioned previously, the mag was proof read and changes were made from the articles submitted to those in the 'live' issue.  we try and get as many eyes on it as possible to ensure everything is as great/correct as it can be.

cheers :)

0 Kudos

/16

Royston99

99%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Royston99
Accepted Solution
Great magazine, love it! Havent fully read through it yet, but from what i have read, i love it and am very impressed. Good work and well done to everyone involved!
0 Kudos

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Coventry City FC Fan, BSc Hons in Computer Science.
PS1 original, PS2 original & slim, PS3 original & slim, PSP original, PSVita Day 1, PS4 Day 1 Player Edition bundle #4ThePlayers
YouTube Channel - Gaming | Sporting Events | Music Events
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel