02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Limitations of an Official PS3 Headset

19 Replies 719 Views Created 12-09-2009

Hi,

I ve ordered a PS3 Official Sony Headset, but I'm not sure what it's limitations are. I would like to use it for voice chat on the PS3, say with someone on my friends list. I'd like to communicate with the individual whether we are gaming or not. What are the limitations of the device with the ps3? For example, can you only use it in conjunction with a game, or could we be playing two different games and still be able to communciate?

I use googletalk currently to communicate with my friend, and wonder if the headset has similar features as that. For example, could I communicate with the individual over a game, or without, and not let anyone else hear what is being said? Or do we have to share the conversation with the rest of the guys online?

I'd be grateful for any advice and light you can shine on this.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Sparta2310

74%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sparta2310
Accepted Solution
I do not use one but I can tell you there is no "cross game chat" as I have read so many whinging posts on here about it LOL
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations of an Official PS3 Headset

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!
/16

rollz616

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rollz616
Accepted Solution

sekhu wrote:

Hi,

I ve ordered a PS3 Official Sony Headset, but I'm not sure what it's limitations are. I would like to use it for voice chat on the PS3, say with someone on my friends list. I'd like to communicate with the individual whether we are gaming or not. What are the limitations of the device with the ps3? For example, can you only use it in conjunction with a game, or could we be playing two different games and still be able to communciate?

I use googletalk currently to communicate with my friend, and wonder if the headset has similar features as that. For example, could I communicate with the individual over a game, or without, and not let anyone else hear what is being said? Or do we have to share the conversation with the rest of the guys online?

I'd be grateful for any advice and light you can shine on this.

Thanks in advance

your confuseing the Voice SERVICE aka Psn or GTalk with a peice of hardware aka the run of the mill bluetooth headset

the official headset just enables voice to be head be it VERY well in HQ mode and you to hear voice THATS IT

its the service thats sends and recices the voice 

PSN has NO personal calling or cross game chat 

there is ONLY chat rooms in game (some have personal muting but still sends to all)

then theres the private OUT of game PSN video/voice APP

PS3 is NO Gtalk but we all wish it would lol

0 Kudos

/16

sekhu

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sekhu
Accepted Solution

Oh, that doesn't sound very good at all. I will probably return it for a refund then.

Well, before I return it, is there a list of games it works with then? I was hoping for some coop action on uncharted 2, moden warfare 2 etc

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

DeathroW22

• Beta Tester
91%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DeathroW22
Accepted Solution

sekhu wrote:

Oh, that doesn't sound very good at all. I will probably return it for a refund then.

Well, before I return it, is there a list of games it works with then? I was hoping for some coop action on uncharted 2, moden warfare 2 etc

All games with voice chat work with it.

0 Kudos

/16

addyjones1234

90%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
addyjones1234
Accepted Solution

DeathroW22 wrote:

sekhu wrote:

All games with voice chat work with it.

pretty much any game that has online multiplayer;)

you can go into a chat room on the xmb, but you have to be out of game, it's a voice/video but you dont need a video cam. so you can talk out of game and in game if you are both playing the same game

0 Kudos

Twitter user and editor on EverythingPlaystation.com. Click my sig to take a look at EPS or my twitter!
Beta Tester
/16

DeathroW22

• Beta Tester
91%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DeathroW22
Accepted Solution

addyjones1234 wrote:

pretty much any game that has online multiplayer;)

I would of said that, but it isn't true for all games. GT5 Prologue has multiplayer and doesn't have voice chat, so it obviously wouldn't work with that.

0 Kudos

/16

karlosswan

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
karlosswan
Accepted Solution

sekhu wrote:

Before you return it dont forget that it isnt the headset that restricts these things its the ps3 itself that cant do them.

The headset will work like any gaming headset and you can commincate through most online games now a days

0 Kudos

/16

TRS-T

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TRS-T
Accepted Solution

sekhu wrote:

Don't return it.

It's the best headset on the PS3 (affordable one anyways ;))
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

DeathroW22

• Beta Tester
91%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DeathroW22
Accepted Solution

TRS-T wrote:

sekhu wrote:

Don't return it.

It's the best headset on the PS3 (affordable one anyways ;))

Best Bluetooth headset on the ps3* ;)

0 Kudos

/16

sekhu

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sekhu
Accepted Solution

since it's bluetooth, could I just use it with my pc? SO I would have something like teamspeak, or googltalk running on the pc and would use the ps3 headset with that, while playing the game on the ps3.

I guess as long as it works with in game with mp games then that's a positive. I'm in two minds about whether I keep or it not now.

does the 360 have cross game chat? Are there any plans for cross game chat on the PS3? 

0 Kudos

/16

jag10

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jag10
Accepted Solution
lol
0 Kudos

/16

addyjones1234

90%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
addyjones1234
Accepted Solution

sekhu wrote:

since it's bluetooth, could I just use it with my pc? SO I would have something like teamspeak, or googltalk running on the pc and would use the ps3 headset with that, while playing the game on the ps3.

I guess as long as it works with in game with mp games then that's a positive. I'm in two minds about whether I keep or it not now.

does the 360 have cross game chat? Are there any plans for cross game chat on the PS3? 

appaently there are plans but we dont know, time will tell, you should be able to use it on pc if it has bluetooth, dont know if you need drivers though

addyjones1234 wrote:

pretty much any game that has online multiplayer:smileywink:

I would of said that, but it isn't true for all games. GT5 Prologue has multiplayer and doesn't have voice chat, so it obviously wouldn't work with that.

that's why i said pretty much all;)

0 Kudos

Twitter user and editor on EverythingPlaystation.com. Click my sig to take a look at EPS or my twitter!
/16

Carramac

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Carramac
Accepted Solution

Ive just tried to pair it with my gaming laptop.  Tried pairing it wirelessly and with the usb cable.  Vista couldnt find any software to allow it and there isnt any I can find on the PSN site either.  So I guess its not gonna work with the PC mate :( 

The headset itself is alright.  Looks nice and I get very good sound quality with friends, although I wouldnt want to wear it for any amount of time as its a bit uncomfortable.  I wish I'd gone for the Logitech Vantage headset to be honest .... Good comfort ratings as well as quality and being loitech would probably pair with the PC also !  http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/Accessory/~r340422/Logitech-Vantage-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headset-fo...

0 Kudos

Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day ...
/16

sekhu

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sekhu
Accepted Solution

Well cross chat is not a deal breaker for me. I t would nice, but  as long as it works with games where we can coop, then I'm happy with that.

I guess my choice now is to keep the Official Headset or go for the Vantage Logitech device.

Any other feedback on which is better?

0 Kudos

/16

jag10

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jag10
Accepted Solution
wired headsets are the best.
0 Kudos

/16

sekhu

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sekhu
Accepted Solution
Well wired is not an option, it may provide the best reception but it'll get in the way, and my PS3 isn't close enough to reach.
0 Kudos

/16

Daytraders

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Daytraders
Accepted Solution
if you want a wireless headset for ps3, the official one is the best out there, its the only one for a start that lets you use the ps3 HIGH Quality Chat feature. 
0 Kudos

/16

TRS-T

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TRS-T
Accepted Solution
sekhu, watch this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Tz3NQGO8s
0 Kudos

/16

sekhu

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sekhu
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the video. I wouldn't buy the headset based on that video, but at least it tells me what it does, and I'm guessing that's the intent.

Can anyone else vouch for whether the device is un/comfortable. I'm assuming the majority find it comfortable enough.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel