88%
03 Rank
Progress

Losing the 'gaming' mojo

74 Replies 960 Views Created 25-05-2012
25 May 2012
By Playthoseblues

Hey Folks,

Recently I've found myself getting quite distinterested in the games that I have on my PS3. I put them in, play them for 10 minutes, get bored and put them away. Rinse and repeat for a whole hour, and this is whilst I'm on my laptop.

I can't seem to find any games worth playing, I have a huge backlog to catch up on, but I don't have the energy to play them. Only in the last few days have I popped Fallout 3, New Vegas, LA Noire, Skyrim and Batman Arkham Asylum into the tray, but I fire them up and just can't be bothered to play them! 

Knowing I'm in the middle of exams, I would have thought I would of enjoyed the gaming time afterwards, but nope, can't seem to play anything!

Anyone else had or have this 'problem' :P Just can't seem to play one game for more than an hour! (Or find anything to play at all)!

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Ellie87

• Beta Tester
87%
05 Rank
Progress
Ellie87
Accepted Solution

Playthoseblues wrote:

Capeview wrote:

I think part of the problem boils down to too many games that people have and not enough time to play them all.

I go through this phase from time to time, but I try and get a few hours in here and there and try and stick with one game, get it finished then move on to the next. If I try and play too many games at once, I get bored because I have to remember all the details, what I was doing, how to play etc.

Stick with one game and play it through, don't try and play every single game that comes out or you may have because that can always make it feel worse.

Also, try and do something other than gaming first, and set gaming as a goal after you have achieved what you needed to do that doesn't involve gaming, clean your room, wash your car, gardening, exam work, anything, and when you have that done, you may find that the gaming is more enjoyable because you had to do something else that wasn't so easy to do.

It's what I do, and I find it works, because I then appreciate games more.

Sometimes I find those that are only interested in blasting everything and not necessarily actually listening to the story part of the game, or just tend to cut every scene because they don't want to watch them can get bored with games too. I only ever do that if I've already played a game and running through a second or 3rd time, but most times I enjoy the story as much as the game itself.

Then again, that could come from my past when Text adventures were all we had and you had to read every bit of detail to get the most out of the game. Nowadays, it's all to easy with everything done for you, and people are too easily distracted with Twitter or Facebook.

Play the game and ignore everything else, except if you have kids or a partner, for a few hrs and then do something else.

Nice post :)

@Ellie87 I just bought Dragons Dogma, after getting rediculously bored with Skyrim and its a great game! I'm loving it! It reminds me of Fable for some reason..

Exams are over now thankfully so I don't feel guilty when I'm playing, so I can sink some time now into Dragons Dogma! 

I think Dragons Dogma will be my next game for sure, I can probably wait to get Max Payne when the price has dropped a little bit.

I was watching someone play on DD in HMV the other day and it did look good! He probably thought I was a stalker cos I was there for ages!

0 Kudos

Re: Losing the 'gaming' mojo

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

TV shows and films now take more time in my life than games do per week.

Its likely because of the ondemand services that strangly the PS3 and SKY box now provide.

BBC Iplayer. ITV player,  Lovefilm, + My Sky Any time content. Have removed the dependance off Games for free time.

Both BBC and Love film have got me into a few foreign Film and TV series shows that I would have never have watched live as they were sub titled.

I will still by Multi player and long term games out right, as due to research I know the game will get new content but its getting easy to tell games that, I will be bored off very easy. Which means they will get a rental only. Rental means I get to play so many more titles for the same Price as buying a full tilte and as yet Ive not found any games that were so good I would have to buy after renting. All the renting has done is confirm that if I had spent £30 on the Full title at launch it would have been wasted...

0 Kudos

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Capeview

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Capeview
Accepted Solution

Ellie87 wrote:

My advice to people who feel as though they have lost, or are losing their 'gaming mojo', would be to take some time out from gaming for a while, too much of one thing can eventually lose it's appeal. What you have to remember is that there are so many great games coming out this year that it would be a shame to miss out on them!

Pretty much how I feel about most things on Sky. After a while, watching the same sort of shows even if they have different names becomes boring, or the god awful Singing shows on TV that become boring.

Thankfully with those, you can record most of them and then just FF to the bits you want to watch and forget the rest. Just a shame there isn;t a recorder out there that will just record the singing and thats it. :D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

unkymo

• Beta Tester
98%
04 Rank
Progress
unkymo
Accepted Solution
31 (Playing games since my early teens) and gaming is getting boring for me as well!

I only play GT5 and Killzone 3 now. My younger brother gave me Uncharted 3 and it just bored me. Jump around, solve a few puzzles, shoot some people and game over! More or less the same as the first two.

If I wasn't a beta tester here then I know for a fact I would barely turn on the PS3. There are only 2 games I am looking forward to (South Park and GTA V) but every time I see an ad for a new game on TV or online all I can say to myself is that I've seen it all before and its not worth my time or money to buy it.

I've bought only 1 game this year (Journey; which is brilliant!) as it was the only game that offered something different. I might have to take a break for a few weeks and see how that goes!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

stme

• Award Winner
99%
09 Rank
Progress
stme
Accepted Solution

I go through stages like this all the time,  It happens as your getting older. As other people say I find if you take a break or try a different style of games 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Playstation Staff
Community Coordinator

LordRoss

• Community Coordinator
LordRoss
Accepted Solution

smell_ya_l8r wrote:
Yep...

I had that problem lol look at my thread from 2009!!

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Games/Lost-the-love-for-gaming/m-p/7046287#M104...

I've had it again too recently, split up from my x after 5 years. When we together I used to enjoy every spare minute I got for gaming but now I just look at my PS3 and Vita...

It's like..they are both there...but I can play them when I want now....I dunno.....my routines gone now.

Got 166 downloaded games from PSN (alot from +) and about 20 on my shelf.....and I just can't be bothered playing!

Funnily enough whenever my missus is at home I want to play games when she isn't and I'm home alone I don't.

I can't quite work out why.  I mean when I have more time to do so, my mind just wont let me.  When I have little time to play games I want to play more.

Perhaps we instinctively like being restricted somewhat or maybe we are just social creatures who like to play single player games only when there is someone present in the house.  When I was younger this wasn't a problem.

I game happily for many many hours as long as the missus is in, don't even care if she is watching or not.  Which makes the PlayStation Vita a great device, so she can watch her TOWIE whilst I continue playing.

When she isn't in, I prefer just sitting back and watching a Bluray.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
96%
13 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

Same here new game releases are getting a tad stagnant same old stuff but repackaged. 

I am actually playing a bit of my back catalogue BFBC2, Resistance 2 and Uncharted 2. 

Max Payne 3 is the only new game i have purchased in 2012 so far good from what i have played so far. 

I think developers need to risk more ideas gaming is getting pretty run of the mill. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Comrade-Bozzey

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Comrade-Bozzey
Accepted Solution

I get this too every now and again. I'll tend to just not play my PS3 for a week or to and then something will trigger a intrest in a game and I'll be back on it for a while. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

michelle_tabor

• Beta Tester
96%
12 Rank
Progress
michelle_tabor
Accepted Solution
I'll lose interest in a certain type of game but I tend to mix it up. I love rpgs but after playing mass effect 3 I'm not interested in the other rpgs I've got waiting to be played. I put assassins creed 2 in instead and I'm happy.

I don't get to play for that long at a time really though, just an hour or 2 before other half gets home from work.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

akadavies

25%
02 Rank
Progress
akadavies
Accepted Solution

:smileyhappy:i had that once or twice it was frustrating as hell too. i got it cuz i just got too good at my games it took away all the fun just knowing what my opponents would do it got too predictable for me. i know im not exactly a professional at games but it didnt change the fact that they were getting old. but wen i started playing some of the armored core games that changed alot since every1 had a unique ac that was truly fun and i met alot of friends there. (sorry if i put too much its the first time i've replied to a forum) 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Playthoseblues

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playthoseblues
Accepted Solution
After thinking I'vegot out of losing my mojo, I've now lost interest in all the games I was having fun with again D:
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GroundBreaker91

96%
02 Rank
Progress
GroundBreaker91
Accepted Solution

Theres a few games coming out this year im certain are going to be awesome, Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed 3 and The Last Of Us so im sure your gaming mojo will come back eventually, personally ive never really lost it

0 Kudos

Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Playthoseblues

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playthoseblues
Accepted Solution
The Last Of Us looks amazing, I think that and Dragon's Dogma will be my week one purchases this year!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GroundBreaker91

96%
02 Rank
Progress
GroundBreaker91
Accepted Solution

I think your feeling like you are because theres so many games coming out/are out now that are so similar, it'll take a new exciting game like 'The Last Of Us' to get you back into gaming, theres no doubt its going to be an amazing game seeing as its coming from Naughty Dog

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Playthoseblues

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playthoseblues
Accepted Solution
Aye thats true. I just think there's such an over-saturated market at the moment, and once you buy one game another comes out and you just get a backlog.

What I've done is pick out all the games I've been randomly playing and selected 3 to play, and thats it, I can't choose any more.

I also bought Journey and hope to get into that soon- maybe that'll rekindle my excitment for games!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GroundBreaker91

96%
02 Rank
Progress
GroundBreaker91
Accepted Solution

I ordered Borderlands Game Of The Year edition today so should get that by tuesday, love Borderlands 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FootieGamerUK

96%
04 Rank
Progress
FootieGamerUK
Accepted Solution
Bought my first new game today for a year. It's Uncharted 3, so not exactly a bad way to get back in to things!

Admittedly, my interest in PS3 mainly stopped cause I went to university in September. Too much time having fun/getting battered to play it. Other than drink FIFA, of course!
0 Kudos

photo breaking_bad_signature_banner_by_xxdeejay-d52ik0s.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mulletcat

64%
02 Rank
Progress
mulletcat
Accepted Solution

I kinda had the mojo forcibly taken from me with the death of my 60gb fatty (sob), I had it from launch day and on the day before U3 was released it gave up the ghost! I have since created a profile on my housemate's slim but not being able to sign in to psn and play games (even single player ones for trophy sync etc), has left me not really playing all that much.

Admittedly I tried to limit my gaming thinking that I would get my fatty repaired or buy a new slim but so far I have not gotten around to it!. So I have not played ME3 or Batman AC but just could not help myself with Skyrim or Uncharted 3! They are the only games I have really played properly since last November and I know I will prob replay them once I get my new ps3 (soon I hope)!

My dilemma now is, I really want to get Dragon's Dogma but I don't want to play through it on a console that is not mine!

Oh and I completely agree with the talk in this thread about the lack of variety in current gen games - sequels and shooter clones and film tie ins - but I remember playing on the master system and NES, then SNES and megadrive and really, if you look back they had the same types of game - shoot 'em ups, beat 'em ups, RPG's, platforms or sports.

Though back then when the game was just a cheap cash in clone (whichever category), it would get a poor review and just disappear. Having said that the industry was smaller and not as much money went into the production of titles compared to today. Still I don't really remember any malaise or frustration with gaming. Maybe today's console gen has 'never had it so good' with internet and social gaming and truly massive production values - comparable and sometimes surpassing Hollywood - so we keep expecting more and more and when we don't get it we get bored with what we DO have.

I didn't really intend for this post to be as long as it is, but as I was writing, it just got me thinking!

;)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hybridhuman27

72%
02 Rank
Progress
Hybridhuman27
Accepted Solution

Same, I feel at the moment Xbox has a bit of a kick so im sort of swaying towards them at the moment

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

Hybridhuman27 wrote:

Same, I feel at the moment Xbox has a bit of a kick so im sort of swaying towards them at the moment

I'm sort of swaying towards it "Vomit" wise.  I'd like to regurgitate all over that console just as Microsoft does with the PS3, with it's crappy ports. Still I'll remain optimistic that I'll see a great game before the years out.

0 Kudos

To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PhillyT

92%
03 Rank
Progress
PhillyT
Accepted Solution

Might be a bit late in adding this, but i've noticed this recently too. Most of this year TBH... just cant b bothered to play anything. You find the time, think, 'yeah... i'll throw that in for a bit' then 10 minutes later your like *yawn*

I was wondering if it was down to me just 'getting old', just turned 28 and thinking.. maybe this is it.. this is just what happens? But seems I am not alone! (Phew!) lol.

Still got U3 to open and play through, The Last of Us looked amazing at E3, though may as well be called U4, and other than fancying a white Vita, there didnt seem anything that great at E3. I even decided to skip the annual update of FIFA this year.

Just sick of the same old. Run n gun on MW3, kick about in FIFA, theres so much to collect in a lot of games you just think 'im never going to finish that properly..' whats the point starting lol :/

Industry feels a little stale atm, for sure, and just like the OP i find myself part distracted by my constantly on laptop, or the lure of an iPad close by when it seems every damn game is due a massive update.

Enough of the problems......... has anyone any 'cure' for this No-mojo-itis illness?

0 Kudos

-----------------------------------------------------------------
White PS Vita | 60GB PS3 (Backwards-Compatible)
PSN: PhillyT
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel