Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 144

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
15 Nov 2009
By skillian

skillian

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress

PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

37 Replies 1,146 Views Created 15-11-2009
15 Nov 2009
By skillian

my launch model just died flashing red light ,left it few hours still wont work,had just enough time to get my mw2 disc out.

want to know if i get a slim can i take my hdd out my old ps3 and put it in the slim.

phoned sony and they want £130 ,and all i get is a refurb and 3 month warrenty!!! NO WAY

Sorry but i paid £500 ,doesnt seem fair to me

Reply
0 Kudos
Reply
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

James91

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution
You can't, the PS3 will format any foreign HDD it doesn't recognise when you insert it.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
10
/16

moriarty1975

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
95%
10 Rank
Progress
moriarty1975
Accepted Solution
No. You'll have to back it up.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
05
/16

Sherif_129

  • Offline
92%
05 Rank
Progress
Sherif_129
Accepted Solution

skillian wrote:

my launch model just died flashing red light ,left it few hours still wont work,had just enough time to get my mw2 disc out.

want to know if i get a slim can i take my hdd out my old ps3 and put it in the slim.

phoned sony and they want £130 ,and all i get is a refurb and 3 month warrenty!!! NO WAY

Sorry but i paid £500 ,doesnt seem fair to me


As soon as you put your old HDD into your slim, it will ask to format it, meaning all data will be erased. Get a hairdryer and use it on the back of the PS3 for 20 minutes. Should make your PS3 work, but only for a few hours or days. A mate of mine has been using this fix for a couple of weeks now. When your PS3 works, get your saves on your USB stick, then get a slim. :Thumbs:

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
03
/16

Sparta2310

  • Offline
74%
03 Rank
Progress
Sparta2310
Accepted Solution
Try the hairdryer fix
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

A-Greenius

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
A-Greenius
Accepted Solution

same happened to me last week, day of MW2 release. i was gutted.

 

i too wont being sony £130 for a second refurb with 3 months warranty, would rather pay £180 for slim with 12 months warranty.

 

i was told by sony that if you put your HDD in any other PS3 (Slim or Fat) it will reformat the data, so you will lose your data.

 

I think Sony really need to think about these problems in future. Microsoft replaced my mates 360 when it broke out of warranty for free?! Sony should at least offer a discount for Slim's or offer to buy your PS3 YLOD console off you for parts.

 

I also held on the phone for 26 minutes then got off last week - wasnt impressed at all.

 

At least my PS2 which is 10 years old in February works - that was a launch model and out lived my PS3 - i now need ideas of how to keep my PS3 Slim cool

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

James91

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution

A-Greenius wrote:

 

I think Sony really need to think about these problems in future. Microsoft replaced my mates 360 when it broke out of warranty for free?! Sony should at least offer a discount for Slim's or offer to buy your PS3 YLOD console off you for parts.

 



Microsoft did so as they admitted there was a common fault, and the failure rate was something like 56% iirc.

 

The PS3 (according to SCEE) has a failure rate of 0.5%, hence why they aren't doing free repairs.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

A-Greenius

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
A-Greenius
Accepted Solution

but surely if you spend £425 pound on something you expect it to last more than 3 years. if you HD LCD TV just stopped you would expect a replacement.

 

i know it is just bad luck but surely they should look into addressing this issue somehow.

 

by the time i get my slim next week - that would be £600 on just console's alone!! thats if my slim doesnt die before the PS4 comes out!

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

James91

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution

A-Greenius wrote:

but surely if you spend £425 pound on something you expect it to last more than 3 years. if you HD LCD TV just stopped you would expect a replacement.

 

i know it is just bad luck but surely they should look into addressing this issue somehow.

 

by the time i get my slim next week - that would be £600 on just console's alone!! thats if my slim doesnt die before the PS4 comes out!


Try writing a letter of complaint to SCE UK.

I did that and got a free refurb off them. It's worth a go :)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

A-Greenius

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
A-Greenius
Accepted Solution

really? who specifically did you write it to?

 

did you have to send your failed PS3 away?

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

James91

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution
I just wrote to the customer service department of SCE UK.

They sent a courier out and did a straight swap, my broken one for a remanufactured model.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

kleightley

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
kleightley
Accepted Solution

A lot of people are experiencing failures not through Sony's fault overall but age of the early/launch models.  If you weren't lucky enough to sign up to CP before the scheme was stopped, check your home contents insurance. 

 

I know its immoral and not 'ideal', but paying over £100 for a refurb or over £200 for a new slim isn't ideal either and quite annoying when the faults suffered are mostly what are well known weakness's in the PS3 - push it off the TV unit and claim accidental damage on your home contents - will only add about £20 to next years premium and you'll get a brand new PS3 in a few weeks.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
02
/16

DjRalford

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
92%
02 Rank
Progress
DjRalford
Accepted Solution

kleightley wrote:

A lot of people are experiencing failures not through Sony's fault overall but age of the early/launch models.  If you weren't lucky enough to sign up to CP before the scheme was stopped, check your home contents insurance. 

 

I know its immoral and not 'ideal', but paying over £100 for a refurb or over £200 for a new slim isn't ideal either and quite annoying when the faults suffered are mostly what are well known weakness's in the PS3 - push it off the TV unit and claim accidental damage on your home contents - will only add about £20 to next years premium and you'll get a brand new PS3 in a few weeks.


I agree, but not that it is immoral as insurance company's deserve everything they get imo

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

shaunwilko

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
shaunwilko
Accepted Solution

James91 wrote:

A-Greenius wrote:

but surely if you spend £425 pound on something you expect it to last more than 3 years. if you HD LCD TV just stopped you would expect a replacement.

 

i know it is just bad luck but surely they should look into addressing this issue somehow.

 

by the time i get my slim next week - that would be £600 on just console's alone!! thats if my slim doesnt die before the PS4 comes out!


Try writing a letter of complaint to SCE UK.

I did that and got a free refurb off them. It's worth a go :)


There is some suggestion although it is obviously open to interpetation that a 'premium elecrical item' should last around a minimum of 10 Years be that washing machine, TV, Fridge or PS3. Playstation also tout there 10 year life cycle for the machine so it would be a reasonable assumption they would last that long.

I would suspect that if your ps3 broke after 3, you should be entilted to a partial refund of around 70% (hey you had 3 years use out of your expected 10) which on your purchace price of £425 would give you around £300, of course if you going for it you may as well go for the full balance.

You have nothing to lose by putting in a complaint and although you might have to go as far as putting a claim in to small claims, but I reckon they would settle out of court, not only based on above, but imagine the negative press should the judge decide your PS3 was of inadequate qualiy.



Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

skillian

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
skillian
Accepted Solution

i'm going to be writing a letter of complaint this weekend,its not right spending this amount of money on a console for it to break 2years in.

many thanks for help guys.

i've got myself a slim now,just need to sort out an extended warrenty.

a friend who runs a local pc shop repairs ps3 so hes got it for repair no charge.

bought so far ps3 60g...ps3 slim......and approx 60 games    cost = £1600-00  approx

now thats alot of money for just over 2yrs of use.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
10
/16

moriarty1975

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
95%
10 Rank
Progress
moriarty1975
Accepted Solution

skillian wrote:

i'm going to be writing a letter of complaint this weekend,its not right spending this amount of money on a console for it to break 2years in.

many thanks for help guys.

i've got myself a slim now,just need to sort out an extended warrenty.

a friend who runs a local pc shop repairs ps3 so hes got it for repair no charge.

bought so far ps3 60g...ps3 slim......and approx 60 games    cost = £1600-00  approx

now thats alot of money for just over 2yrs of use.


I tried that. Complete waste of time.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
05
/16

James91

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution

moriarty1975 wrote:

skillian wrote:

i'm going to be writing a letter of complaint this weekend,its not right spending this amount of money on a console for it to break 2years in.

many thanks for help guys.

i've got myself a slim now,just need to sort out an extended warrenty.

a friend who runs a local pc shop repairs ps3 so hes got it for repair no charge.

bought so far ps3 60g...ps3 slim......and approx 60 games    cost = £1600-00  approx

now thats alot of money for just over 2yrs of use.


I tried that. Complete waste of time.


It worked for me :)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
10
/16

moriarty1975

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
95%
10 Rank
Progress
moriarty1975
Accepted Solution
Sent mine to sony ireland, THAT was a complete waste of time! Should have sent it to sony u.k (cut out the middle man and all that!)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

tomtoon

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
tomtoon
Accepted Solution

A-Greenius wrote:

same happened to me last week, day of MW2 release. i was gutted.

 

i too wont being sony £130 for a second refurb with 3 months warranty, would rather pay £180 for slim with 12 months warranty.

 

i was told by sony that if you put your HDD in any other PS3 (Slim or Fat) it will reformat the data, so you will lose your data.

 

I think Sony really need to think about these problems in future. Microsoft replaced my mates 360 when it broke out of warranty for free?! Sony should at least offer a discount for Slim's or offer to buy your PS3 YLOD console off you for parts.

 

I also held on the phone for 26 minutes then got off last week - wasnt impressed at all.

 

At least my PS2 which is 10 years old in February works - that was a launch model and out lived my PS3 - i now need ideas of how to keep my PS3 Slim cool



sorry but where is the slim 180?? 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

jimmur2000

  • Offline
64%
02 Rank
Progress
jimmur2000
Accepted Solution

My PS3 60Gb died the other night,

try the gilsky fix (search on You Tube),

if you can get it working again trade it in at CEX (£132 cash or £165 trade in) or gamestation (£100 cash or £120 trade in) get a slim 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
02
/16

Naive_Super

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Naive_Super
Accepted Solution
 This thread is making me paranoid. I haven't backed up my game saves EVER on my PS3. (60gb) But I think i'll do so later...just in case...
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 60G LAUNCH MODEL DIED ...CAN I ?

----
Feel free to add me :) But at least try to make conversation...

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel