57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PS3 Slim Freezing

56 Replies 27,349 Views Created 02-09-2009

As much as I like my new Slim I have experienced several system freezes last night where the only means of recovery is to switch it off at the plug. This has mainly happened while on the XMB. The lights on the controller all flash to indicate a lack of connection with the PS3 and cannot reconnect until I power cycle the system. Now to figure out if this is a issue with the PS3, with 3.0 or something related to my HDD swap.

I have re-synced the controller several times but it does appear that it is simply losing the connection with the PS3. On restarting the controller remains paired with the PS3.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

TheDasMan

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheDasMan
Accepted Solution

Same here,Problem was the update crashed while downloading but after a few tries of trying to install update it finally managed it.

However after that the xmb kept freezing ,quick call to sony fixed it.Restore PS3 System.Works like a dream now.

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Slim Freezing

/16

SneekyB

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SneekyB
Accepted Solution
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that tonight and hopefully will have as good a result.
0 Kudos

/16

xxSamuraiGirlxx

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xxSamuraiGirlxx
Accepted Solution
mine froze once yesterday while i was in XMB. =/
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

dwad69

• Beta Tester
96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dwad69
Accepted Solution
If your PS3 keeps crashing try a system restore :Thumbs:
0 Kudos

Beavis is da man Vote Stu for PM :Thumbs:
/16

MarkG140

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MarkG140
Accepted Solution

Yeah i was having numerous crashes and Sony reccomended a system restore now no crashes whatsoever :)

0 Kudos

/16

SneekyB

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SneekyB
Accepted Solution
I performed the system restore tonight and then restored my hdd backup files. I'm still finding the XMB will freeze every so often but when in game I have no issues, I played Batman for 4 hours tonight without a problem. I'm guessing 3.0 may have introduced some bugs to the system.
0 Kudos

/16

BlueSkiesXXV

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlueSkiesXXV
Accepted Solution
I am also sure that there is some kind of problem. I had an XMB freeze during startup for the first time yesterday. Funny that it happened a few hours after upgrading the FW to 3.0. The standard lights are on the front & it would not respond to a soft reboot. I had to use the rocker switch on the back to turn it off. Seems fine now though. I have a 60 GB model with an upgraded HDD.
0 Kudos

/16

SneekyB

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SneekyB
Accepted Solution
Same thing happens with my Slim. The standard lights are all lit on the PS3 but it is unresponsive to any input, pulling the plug is the only way to salvage anything. In-game is fine which makes me think the problem is with the XMB.
0 Kudos

/16

BlueSkiesXXV

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlueSkiesXXV
Accepted Solution
Indeed mate. My controller also lost connection a couple of times yesterday. I woud press the PS button to launch the PS3 & I would just get the flashing 4 lights. Interesting that we both have units with swapped HDD's. That might be a red herring, but you never know. FW 3.00 has made the XMB unstable by the lokks of it. However, I have not had the problems today. I will keep an eye on the behaviour.
0 Kudos

/16

SneekyB

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SneekyB
Accepted Solution
All 4 lights flashing on the controller is another symptom of the bug which I did not have with my original 60gb but do now. I'm convinced it's a firmware issue. I've had the connection to the controller drop while browsing the XMB and also on startup.
Message Edited by SneekyB on 03-09-2009 01:04 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

PILLAI7

• Beta Tester
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PILLAI7
Accepted Solution
i just switched over the HDD, ope nothing happens
0 Kudos

/16

SneekyB

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SneekyB
Accepted Solution

I doubt it has anything to do with the HDD swap but the only way I can rule that out would be for me to reinstall the original drive and see if I have the same problems. I'm sure it's related to 3.0

When ingame or playing a BD the PS3 has no problems at all, only while on the XMB do I experience freezing and controller disconnection.

Message Edited by SneekyB on 03-09-2009 10:12 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Codey47

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Codey47
Accepted Solution
Firmware 3.00 blamed for malfunctioning PS3 controllers

A growing thread on the official PlayStation 3 forum alleges the recent hardware firmware upgrade to version 3.00 has spawned a host of controller connection issues for PS3 users. According to the forum, various wireless controllers -- some users specifically naming DualShock3 model CECHZC2H (Ceramic White) -- are unable to connect to the console. When turned on, users claim the controller LEDs for ports 1 and 2 are activate, but the controller remains inoperable.

Users attempting to troubleshoot the problem claim that resetting the controller (through the built-in pinhole reset function) and plugging it directly into the console (via USB) do not correct the error, with one user going so far as doing a complete system restore to no avail. The issue, however, appears to be isolated, but is still a concern for a number of gamers.

Joystiq has contacted Sony for comment on the alleged malfunction.

0 Kudos

Playstation Revamped

Jesus Teabagged Me
/16

SneekyB

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SneekyB
Accepted Solution

I've just been reading about that and there is also a thread here reporting the same issue. It's slightly different from what I am experiencing but I'm also using a imported ceramic white DS3 controller.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=147&message.id=41292

Message Edited by SneekyB on 03-09-2009 12:07 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

StuR328

• Beta Tester
98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
StuR328
Accepted Solution

Codey47 wrote:
Firmware 3.00 blamed for malfunctioning PS3 controllers

A growing thread on the official PlayStation 3 forum alleges the recent hardware firmware upgrade to version 3.00 has spawned a host of controller connection issues for PS3 users. According to the forum, various wireless controllers -- some users specifically naming DualShock3 model CECHZC2H (Ceramic White) -- are unable to connect to the console. When turned on, users claim the controller LEDs for ports 1 and 2 are activate, but the controller remains inoperable.

Users attempting to troubleshoot the problem claim that resetting the controller (through the built-in pinhole reset function) and plugging it directly into the console (via USB) do not correct the error, with one user going so far as doing a complete system restore to no avail. The issue, however, appears to be isolated, but is still a concern for a number of gamers.

Joystiq has contacted Sony for comment on the alleged malfunction.

Mines a CECHZC2J white ds3, no problems with it so far

0 Kudos

|¬_¬|™
/16

thenextbutton

87%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
thenextbutton
Accepted Solution

not had any problems at all with crashes.

I got it out the box swapped h/disk to my 500gb drive and then booted it up and got a message saying please supply the firmware on a usb device. downloaded the firmware on to the stick and it runs like a dream.

0 Kudos

Unofficial U.K Playstation.com Forums flickr Group |  | Last Platinum: NFS Hot Pursuit
>>> click here for my ps3 mac theme <<<
/16

xxSamuraiGirlxx

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xxSamuraiGirlxx
Accepted Solution

SneekyB wrote:
All 4 lights flashing on the controller is another symptom of the bug which I did not have with my original 60gb but do now. I'm convinced it's a firmware issue. I've had the connection to the controller drop while browsing the XMB and also on startup.
Message Edited by SneekyB on 03-09-2009 01:04 AM

i've had this problem too, but with the dualshock it came with and 2 plain old sixaxis controllers. i havent swapped over the HDD

and OT but am i blind?.. the slim doesn't have a switch to turn off the red light does it?..you have to unplug it to turn it off completely? =P
Message Edited by xxSamuraiGirlxx on 03-09-2009 12:47 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

SneekyB

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SneekyB
Accepted Solution
No power switch at all on the Slim to fully turn it off, unplugging is the only option if you don't want to use standby.
0 Kudos

/16

BlueSkiesXXV

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlueSkiesXXV
Accepted Solution
I just had my second freeze (60GB - FW 3.0).
I paused Batman & selected ' Quit Game'. I then got the old beeps this time, but it did not shutdown.
The PS3 looked happy with the lights on the front, but the screen was blank.
As stated by others, I could still use the eject button, but a soft reboot would not do anything.
I had to kill the power.

Then, following the same pattern as before, pressing the PS button on the controller would not boot up the PS3 & I had to use the button on the front.
This sounds just like other peoples FW 3.0 reports. Roll on 3.01!!!

0 Kudos

/16

Diddymow

92%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Diddymow
Accepted Solution
Mine froze on Fallout 3 yesterday but that is a really buggy game. Froze on my 60gb a few times aswell.
0 Kudos

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel