92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PS3 Slim YLOD?

28 Replies 9,875 Views Created 23-03-2011

So the slim has been out over a year I think now, How are these doing with the YLOD problem? Anyone on here had there slim YLOD? I have had mine for about one year and still working great.

Am just wondering is this problem gone away now, I have had two 60gb YLOD on me.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
Case: Corsair Carbide 540/MB: Asus P8Z77 WS/CPU: i7 2600k/GPU: 2X MSI 290s Gaming/Cooling: Corsair H80i/Ram: Kingston HyperX 16GB/PSU: Superflower 1000w Plat / 2TB Seagate Sata3 HDD+250GB Samsung Evo/Audio: Asus Xonar D2X/Philips Fidelio x1
ROCCAT Ryos MK Glow Mechanical / Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Steam-shankly1985 - Psn-shankly1985
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

FortyMedals

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FortyMedals
Accepted Solution

i have the 320 gb slim and still working so far :)

i think they have fixed most of them now, and even had an update that could fix ps3s that got it,

this is also my 2nd ps3,

1st one i got "launch day" broke few months ago, would not turn on, guess it was 2 old :P,

but yeah, it seems ok now, you might get some that have it but there was some update that fixed it

0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Slim YLOD?

320 GB Slim, 42" Panasonic 3D Full HD Plasma
Come join me and others in a community with almost 2000 people
MGL
/16

Occident

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Occident
Accepted Solution

I've played games just about every day on it since November 2009, I use it for watching iPlayer, DVD's and blu-rays - I've cained the ***** out of my PS slim...

....and its still working just fine - WIN

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Wigster101

91%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wigster101
Accepted Solution

Got a 120gb Slim back near its released, worked fine. Sold it to get the 320gb bundle. 320gb still going strong.
The YLOD problem has probably decreased with the Slims but, it most definitely hasn't gone away.

0 Kudos

/16

Alestes

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Alestes
Accepted Solution

shankly1985 wrote:

So the slim has been out over a year I think now, How are these doing with the YLOD problem? Anyone on here had there slim YLOD? I have had mine for about one year and still working great.

Am just wondering is this problem gone away now, I have had two 60gb YLOD on me.

The original 60GB model consumed about 200W, and thus generated a lot of heat that was the issue of YLOD (and RROD on the 360).

The slim consume about 80-100W depending on the model, and therefore generate a lot less heat so overheating issues aren't really the problem. The original PS2 model consumed about 100W too, and I never read about the PS2 overheating.

No, if you have a slim PS3 you should be more afraid of the blu-ray drive messing up, because the YLOD issue is non-existant.

0 Kudos

All signatures sucks, especially those with images in them.
/16

Jay4275

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jay4275
Accepted Solution

Had mine a year this May, going great so far.

0 Kudos

/16

DeanW2k9

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DeanW2k9
Accepted Solution

My release console died of an unknown death early 09, wasn't YLOD, just wouldn't load games and froze intermittently, Sony replaced, free of charge, out of warranty, brand new console. Still working since April time '09 :D

0 Kudos

/16

scoobynuts123

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
scoobynuts123
Accepted Solution
i have had my PS3 60GB 4 years now and never not even once got the YLOD but the cooling fan is a bit loud so because my friend's TYgere21 and darkprime6 have the 320GB PS3 slim i thought i might get one for myself because not only has it got more memory it is as quiet as a pin drop on the floor
0 Kudos

/16

Tim_Lord

82%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tim_Lord
Accepted Solution

scoobynuts123 wrote:
i have had my PS3 60GB 4 years now and never not even once got the YLOD but the cooling fan is a bit loud so because my friend's TYgere21 and darkprime6 have the 320GB PS3 slim i thought i might get one for myself because not only has it got more memory it is as quiet as a pin drop on the floor

As your PS3 is as old as mine I recommend that you crack it open and suck (or blow) out all the dust that will have accumulated inside, especially over the processor and fan.  The fan is having to work harder to get air through the PS3 because of the accumulated detritus.  If you don't clean it out pretty smartish your PS3 WILL eventually fail.  

I have tried simply vacuuming through the sides of my PS3 but I don't think this had much, if any, effect. 

Just for the record, my PS has had the following go wrong -

Purchased November 2007

• 2010 June YLOD.   Repair Cost £75 + VAT
  • 2011 May - Blue Ray drive died.  Repair cost including VAT about £120. (Part cost about £65)
  • 2011 October  - Red light of Death (don't know what caused this. Repairer didn't say). Repair cost including VAT same as YLOD.

2010 October - Upgraded from 60gb HDD to 640gb HDD.  About £120 all in.  Parts only. Did the work myself.  All other jobs done by local firm, not Sony.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Regards

Sixpak Chakrabarti

If god had meant us to be vegetarian, why did she make animals out of meat?

href="http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tim_Lord/">
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/552712841.png[/IMG][/URL]
http://www.speedtest.net/result/552712841.png
/16

BigMoab

88%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BigMoab
Accepted Solution

I have had my 250gb Slim since launch now due to my previous 3 PS3 60gb's had the YLOD. Mine is running well and the only scare I have had was yesterday when a message popped up saying something about my HDD is going to rebuilt, luckily nothing got erased but yeah, other than that it is running very well.

0 Kudos

photo C-47DakotaSig1_zpsfa53741c.jpg
/16

JOHNY--BRAVO

89%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JOHNY--BRAVO
Accepted Solution
18 month mark and beyond for ylod im hoping its sorted but if you check youtube you can find ylod slim victims, my mate and nephews lasers failed on the slim, but i think its to early to say ylod problem sorted
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

HUYI

• Beta Tester
84%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
HUYI
Accepted Solution

JOHNY--BRAVO wrote:
18 month mark and beyond for ylod im hoping its sorted but if you check youtube you can find ylod slim victims, my mate and nephews lasers failed on the slim, but i think its to early to say ylod problem sorted

yeah i know i've seen the videos, some slims even died once they come out of the box, it was mainly 160gb and 120gb version tough, i haven't seen a 320gb slim die yet from ylod *touch wood*

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Stigdu

• Beta Tester
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Stigdu
Accepted Solution

Had my 160gb PS3 Slim for just under a year, and it YLOD'd on me last week. Going to try to exchange it for a new one back at the original store I bought it from (HMV). I still have all materials, receipt, etc.

0 Kudos

/16

DanWalsallFC

91%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DanWalsallFC
Accepted Solution

My friends fat PS3 broke about 3 years ago, he bought the slim which lasted him around 2 years.. It had YLOD a few weeks ago. He's now onto his 3rd PS3..

0 Kudos

/16

geek4u86

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
geek4u86
Accepted Solution
me sorry to say got two ylod on slims chec-2001a 120 gigs but they say if u are going to get ylod u will get it in the first 25 months and both these are 2 years old and dead>>>> not the power supply either (two screws on supply)
0 Kudos

MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
97%
14 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
castaway666
Accepted Solution
again as i posted before.... do slims even have a yellow light?
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

castaway666 wrote:

I don't think so but of course YLOD is just a generic term for hardware failure regardless.

0 Kudos

/16

lsd1968

93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lsd1968
Accepted Solution

YLOD? don,t know why its called that anyway as its predominently a flashing red light the yellow light only comes on for a second followed by the flashing red,my 5th is in bits at the moment awaiting my thermal paste delivery as my local Maplins don,t stock it i will be using some no clean flux under the chips before the heating as this should give a longer lasting fix,failing that another 110quid:manlol: to Sony,slims do fail as well but not as often as my 60gb apparently:Rolleyes:

0 Kudos

Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime and so departing leave behind us footprints in the sands of time.
/16

geek4u86

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
geek4u86
Accepted Solution

duh i just said i got two with ylod

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
97%
14 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
castaway666
Accepted Solution
course you did.
0 Kudos

/16

xx_Tooms109_xx

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xx_Tooms109_xx
Accepted Solution

castaway666 wrote:

Ive seen videos on youtube of slim YLOD....And a few angry people replying they had the same problem.

When i bought my new slim a few weeks ago,i asked the manager if people were still returning units because of YLOD.

He told me they still get a few back - But not as much as the old "phat" systems.

So in answer to your question - Yep,it looks like it still happens...Just not as much.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel