02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PS3 Slim blank screen on start up

26 Replies 26,594 Views Created 05-11-2009

Hi everyone,

First time posting on here. Had PS3 slim for just over a month and it's not had a lot of use (5 hours a week at the very most). Anyway I've got it connected via HDMI to a Sony Bravia tv and recently when I turn the console on the TV picks up the signal and says "playstation three, av5 HDMI" or somethng along those lines. But the actual start screen does not appear and it's just black. No matter how many times I reset the console this stays the same, I've tried unplugging the system and reconnecting it all back up.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Buubar

86%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Buubar
Accepted Solution
Im guessing you've used it with SCART before? Anyway, if you haven't, plug the SCART cable in (along with your HDMI cable still plugged in), start it up. go to settings and change it to HDMI then unplug the SCART and switch your TV over to HDMI and it should work... Or thats how it used to work.
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 Slim blank screen on start up

/16

tiger8487

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tiger8487
Accepted Solution
I've used it with the SCART and used it with HDMI as well. It's only recently that I've started to have this problem.
0 Kudos

/16

SoulJoeBoi

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SoulJoeBoi
Accepted Solution

i have a similar problem except my ps3 is 18 months old. Basicaly i havnt played my ps3 for about 2 months i decided to have ago today so i set it up but when i turned it on there was no picture, i tryed various things for about an hour- 2 hdmi cables, reseting display setings, the normal display lead but the only way i can get it to come on is by using a component cable but when i play any movie game etc quality goes realy bad and i get these green horizontal lines moving up and down the screen. i think its a gpu problem, what should i do?

0 Kudos

/16

lozzap

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lozzap
Accepted Solution
Have you tried to reset your display settings?

0 Kudos

/16

strifecloud

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strifecloud
Accepted Solution
This happened to me when i used my PS3 on a HDTV then on an SDTV all you have to do is hold the reset button down for like 10 seconds, the ps3 does a hard reset and lets you choose picture settings again :D 
0 Kudos

/16

Iyonix

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iyonix
Accepted Solution
You hold the power button on the PS3 until you hear 2 beeps for the display settings to be reset.
0 Kudos

/16

Preston17

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Preston17
Accepted Solution

Thank you! That was my exact problem and your msg was a perfect fix! thanks again!

0 Kudos

/16

gmase1

92%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gmase1
Accepted Solution

didnt work for me.. i hold it down for the display settings and after two beeps im still getting a black screen? this happened to me two days ago but I switched HDMI cords and ports and its worked fine. Ive had to set it to hdmi before and this method has worked before. I have an older PS3 80 GB. any ideas?

0 Kudos

/16

Tony-Da-Cool

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tony-Da-Cool
Accepted Solution

hey dude, cheers for posting the info because I had this problem as well :)

0 Kudos

/16

Cman108

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cman108
Accepted Solution
I have a similar problem but I only use AV plugs. I have a 120gb slim and when I start it up, I get a blank screen, and then when I try to do the 3 beep startup, I still get a blank screen. Whenever I get the screen to actually come on, it'll freeze with lines down the screen, but for a few seconds, I still have audio. I took it to a video game repair shop and the guy used a HDMI plug for the PS3 and it had no problems at all. Can anybody help me with this? (Besides getting a HD TV...)
0 Kudos

/16

Plon_Vanthree

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Plon_Vanthree
Accepted Solution

this has been an ongoing problem with the PS3 since it first came out. I had an original ps3 fatboy thing when they 1st came out and now have a slim, but the problem persists. It is mighty annoying and I have no idea at all why Sony has never addressed it either. resetting the video settings via the power buttons seldom works, a load of switching on and off and disconnecting the power for 20 mins, 40, an hour or whatever is not always successful. 

Please Sony Find a fix for this ASAP

0 Kudos

/16

dredski

40%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dredski
Accepted Solution

posted this on the wrong reply....

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

nathan25ghs

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nathan25ghs
Accepted Solution
i have 2. i'v tried just about everything you can do. all i can get is a black screen
0 Kudos

/16

enola75061

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
enola75061
Accepted Solution

I am having this same type of problem. Have you found a way to resolve yours? If so, what did you do?

0 Kudos

/16

markxand200

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
markxand200
Accepted Solution

I got the same prob wat do i do help somebody!!!

0 Kudos

/16

thenextbutton

87%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
thenextbutton
Accepted Solution

markxand200 wrote:

I got the same prob wat do i do help somebody!!!

with the PS3 in an off state, hold down the power button until you hear a bleep (normally takes about 5 sec)
Let go of the pwoer button and you should get the display reset screen, which will detect what to output your display to HDMI or Scart.
0 Kudos

Unofficial U.K Playstation.com Forums flickr Group |  | Last Platinum: NFS Hot Pursuit
>>> click here for my ps3 mac theme <<<
/16

LittlePrincess-

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LittlePrincess-
Accepted Solution
Alright so this is what I did. Make sure playstation is powered down with little red Light on in the front. Unplug all cables, probably just the hdmi, except the power cable. Now Plug in the hdmi cord. Now press and hold the power button and so you will hear the first beep when you first turn it on, then you will hear a second three seconds later, but still don't let go until the power shuts off. Now You can do the soft reset.. So press and hold the power button down and Let go when you hear the second beep. The screen should appear... Worked for me:)
0 Kudos

/16

dredski

40%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dredski
Accepted Solution

Well I have just joined this merry band - a brand new PS3 320gb and a Sony Bravia KDL-37EX403, which is about 2 months old. Got the PS3, plugged it in, connected via an HDMI cable - bingo - that was about a week to ten days ago. Watched a dvd 2 nights ago, went to turn it on to try to get PlayTV working and got the black screen. Looked like it might be a cable problem so was gonna replace it, the shop I went to tested the cable and it was fine. So I have tested the PS3 on a non-HDMI TV and it works fine. The shop suggested it might be the Sony Sync - I have tried on/off all combos. I did manage to get a DVD playing but with no picture.

Having trawled the web a bit tonight this is clearly a major problem.

I reset the TV to factory settings and did the same with the PS3 on the other tv - no joy.

I haven't tried the holding down of the power on button twice, yet, but will later.

This is driving me nuts....what happens to Singstar on Boxing Day, now?

:Argh: 

0 Kudos

/16

dredski

40%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dredski
Accepted Solution

Well I thought I had been very clever by changing a couple of settings when hooked up to the HD TV but with a multi AV cable rather than the HD cable....it worked! Then I went to put the machine back where it lives and the screen went black - I swapped the ends of the HD cable so the bad one was in the TV and not subject to any movement - it's definitely the cable or where the cable connects to the PS3. 

We had Singstar on Boxing Day and what a hoot!

A new cable will be bought.

0 Kudos

/16

splite22

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
splite22
Accepted Solution

Hey guys,

This happen to me just tonight when I downloaded the new map pack.  Try going to your Game Data folder and Save Data file and delete anything related to MW2. That should do the trick.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel