22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PS3 controller won't charge

26 Replies 30,937 Views Created 24-03-2010

I recently bought a PS3, it came with one wireless controller (Sixaxis) which works fine, and charges normally. I bought one more, a Sixaxis Dualshock 3, and it will not charge. When I bring up the controller charge screen, and connect it via the USB cable, it shows as charging for a few seconds, then a hyphen appears next to the Charge Level. 

I thought that the battery may be faulty, so bought another DS3, and the same thing happens. It connects wirelessly but will not charge via any means. It cannot be the case that both batteries are faulty in two brand new controllers, and the controller that came with the PS3 charges normally, so I don't know why the two I bought won't charge.

I have tried everything, resetting the controllers, trying to charge using my PC, but to no avail and I now have two controllers which I cannot use :Frown:

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Jonesy-ov-s5

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jonesy-ov-s5
Accepted Solution
i once took my DS3 to my mates and mine would not connect or even charge or do anything with the cable in but yet that very same cable works fine in my mates DS3.
0 Kudos

Re: PS3 controller won't charge

------------
now own a 12GB Super Slim with a 500GB HDD upgrade.
/16

lyn_kelvin

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lyn_kelvin
Accepted Solution

Hi LeeZone

Last nite My PS3 also face the same problem like you. Have you solve out a solution?

Any advise? thanks need help badly here..

0 Kudos

/16

lisa_2k6

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lisa_2k6
Accepted Solution

you could try charging the controler in port 2 ive noticed that port 1 doesnt seem to charge controlers im not the only person who has this problem either :/

0 Kudos

/16

Sukasaroth

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sukasaroth
Accepted Solution

Had this problem today, I bought a Blue PS3 controller about a month ago. Charged just fine, been using it daily. Then today it ran outta juice and died. I went to plug it in to charge it with my PS3 on and it lights up like its player 1 but i get the "-" next to the charging icon and it doesnt charge.

I unplug the controller and still doesnt charge.

My stock PS3 controller works just fine with this USB cable and charges no problem.

I took the Blue controller back to gamestop where i bought it and got a brand new blue controller and its doing the same thing so its not the controller at fault.

I just did a system update today to see if it solves the problem but other than that I have no Idea other than to buy a stand alone charger for my controllers (WHICH I SHOULDNT HAFTA DO SONY)

0 Kudos

/16

iFLy-z-High

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
iFLy-z-High
Accepted Solution

i had this problem and i fixed it, u need a thicker cable trust me heavy duty ps3 charging cable

0 Kudos

/16

mandudejm

88%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mandudejm
Accepted Solution

This guy is absolutely right, was having the problem that my ds3 would not charge on either computer or ps, my old sixaxis was working fine.  Upgraded my cable to a thicker better quality and my ds3 charges, reset button did not work, charging in laptop did not work, ps3 was up to date, THIS IS THE FIX.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel