Reply
24 Sep 2009
By WhiteAlexander

WhiteAlexander

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

PS3 won't shut down

9 Replies 2,863 Views Created 24-09-2009

It's sat there with the green light flashing, like it usually does for a few seconds before it turns off.

 

Only it's been there for several minutes with the green light flashing and it's not responding to anything. The screen is black as if it was off aswell but the fans and such inside are still going.

 

Halp. Smiley Sad

Reply
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (2,863 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
kingfox
Beta Tester
04
/16

kingfox

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
91%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 won't shut down


WhiteAlexander wrote:

It's sat there with the green light flashing, like it usually does for a few seconds before it turns off.

 

Only it's been there for several minutes with the green light flashing and it's not responding to anything. The screen is black as if it was off aswell but the fans and such inside are still going.

 

Halp. Smiley Sad


 

just flip the switch they will do it then reboot it to make sure everything is ok
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (2,859 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
WhiteAlexander
02
/16

WhiteAlexander

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 won't shut down

I was a bit reluctant to do that as the hard drive light keeps popping on and off, but looks like there isn't much choice.

 

I'll wait a couple more minutes then do that.

Reply
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (2,855 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
SolidNinjaSnake
08
/16

SolidNinjaSnake

  • Offline
95%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 won't shut down

This has happened to me multiple times before.

As said, just use the switch at the back of the PS3.

It hasn't caused any problems doing so either, and I've done this quite a few times.

メタルギアソリッド - Metal Gear Solid

Twitter

Reply
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (2,848 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
WhiteAlexander
02
/16

WhiteAlexander

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 won't shut down

Alright, used the switch and all seems fine. Folders intact and all.

 

Thanks guys, panic over. Smiley Happy

Reply
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (2,845 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
fords30
Beta Tester
05
/16

fords30

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 won't shut down

Hold down the Standby button until it turns off. Usually takes about 20 seconds; maybe a little more but it should turn off if you hold it long enough.
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (2,839 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
WhiteAlexander
02
/16

WhiteAlexander

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 won't shut down


fords30 wrote:
Hold down the Standby button until it turns off. Usually takes about 20 seconds; maybe a little more but it should turn off if you hold it long enough.

I made sure to try that (after a number of game freezes, that seems to be the thing to fix that). It beeped but nothing happened.

Reply
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (2,828 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
fords30
Beta Tester
05
/16

fords30

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 won't shut down


WhiteAlexander wrote:

fords30 wrote:
Hold down the Standby button until it turns off. Usually takes about 20 seconds; maybe a little more but it should turn off if you hold it long enough.

I made sure to try that (after a number of game freezes, that seems to be the thing to fix that). It beeped but nothing happened.


Sure you held it long enough though? Smiley Tongue
Mine did the exact same thing yesterday when it froze. Green light continued to flash for about 3 minutes until I decided to hold down the Standby button. I say 20 seconds, it could have easily been 40,50, a minute etc. 

 

Reply
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (2,822 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
WhiteAlexander
02
/16

WhiteAlexander

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 won't shut down

Hm, I think so. Smiley Tongue

 

I held it until it beeped, but no longer.

 

But oh well, things are fine now. Smiley Happy

Reply
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (2,818 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos
dwad69
Beta Tester
04
/16

dwad69

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 won't shut down

Its real heart in mouth moment when the PS3 freezes, you hold down the power button and she beeps at you as if to say Oi I dont like that.  She finally turns off and you just have to check all is ok again, with one eye closed praying that when you press the power button all is well....Oh boy glad its back bud
Beavis is da man Vote Stu for PM
Reply
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (2,772 Views)
Reply
0 Kudos