DeathroW22

• Beta Tester
91%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PlayStation 3 sales reach 50million worldwide.

62 Replies 2,112 Views Created 15-04-2011

Just got this press release from SCEE. Good stuff.

PLAYSTATION®3 SALES REACH 50 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE

Sales of PlayStation®Move motion controller for PlayStation®3 (PS3®) surpass 8 million units worldwide, accelerating the expansion of the PS3 Platform.

Tokyo, April 15, 2011 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the cumulative sales of the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system reached a milestone of 50 million units*1*1 worldwide, as of March 29, 2011. SCE also announced that PlayStation®Move sales surpassed 8 million units worldwide as of April 3, demonstrating continued growth and momentum of the PS3 platform.

The PS3 system, equipped with future proof cutting-edge technologies including the powerful Cell Broadband EngineTM and RSX® processors as well as the Blu-ray discTM (BD) player and HDMI, has delivered users with high-definition and high quality entertainment experience since its launch in November 2006. The PS3 system continues to evolve and enhance the user experience through new features and services delivered via software updates.

Concurrently with the introduction of PS3, SCE launched PlayStation®Network service which now has more than 75 million registered accounts and operates in 59 countries and regions*2 around the world. PlayStation Network supports free community-centric online gameplay and communication tools such as PlayStation®Home*3, and offers vast downloadable digital content through PlayStation®Store, from games to movies of more than 32,840content totaling to 105,988 digital content worldwide. In September 2009, SCE launched the new slimmer and lighter PS3 system with new form factor and less power consumption that has been well received by users around the world.

To further expand entertainment experience only possible on PS3, stereoscopic 3D game and Blu-ray 3DTM*4 in April and September 2010 respectively. The feature enables users to enjoy stunningly realistic stereoscopic 3D in their living room on their PS3 system by simply connecting it to a 3D-compatible TV such as 3D "BRAVIA" TV using an HDMI cable. The number of stereoscopic 3D software titles has reached to 89 as of April 1 in 2011. features were introduced to the system via a free system software update

SCE launched PlayStation Move in September 2010 for North America, Europe/PAL territories and in Asia, and in October 2010 for Japan to deliver a new entertainment experience across all categories of games, from casual to immersive. The PlayStation Move motion controller is used in combination with the PlayStation®Eye camera to detect the precise movement, angle, and absolute position in 3D space of the user, thereby allowing users to intuitively play as if they are within the game. The number of PlayStation Move supported/dedicated software titles has reached to 155 as of March 24 in 2011, including titles such as Sports Champions, SingStar Dance and Killzone3*5 PlayStation Move continues to further expand the new gameplay along with variety of upcoming new PlayStation Move titles for 2011including SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs*6

With strong support from 3rd party developers and publishers worldwide, PS3 features a vast library of more than 2,128 software titles with more than 480 million units sold worldwide*7. Recently released blockbuster franchise titles from first party studios include Grand Turismo 5, LittleBigPlanet2 and KILLZONE 3.

SCE will continue to further expand the PS3 platform and create a new world of computer entertainment.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

JOHNY--BRAVO

89%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JOHNY--BRAVO
Accepted Solution
thats great news, now how many of those 50 million units were bought by customers replacing faulty ps3s because of ylod or faulty disk drives, theirs a lot of sensitive information their lol
0 Kudos

Re: PlayStation 3 sales reach 50million worldwide.

/16

R0ckMuncher22

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
R0ckMuncher22
Accepted Solution

JOHNY--BRAVO wrote:
thats great news, now how many of those 50 million units were bought by customers replacing faulty ps3s because of ylod or faulty disk drives, theirs a lot of sensitive information their lol

500,000 at most....

(1%)

Unlike the 40% of Microsoft's numbers (20m units)

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

DrTrouserPlank

• Beta Tester
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DrTrouserPlank
Accepted Solution

R0ckMuncher22 wrote:

JOHNY--BRAVO wrote:

500,000 at most....

(1%)

I'm finding it difficult to decide which figure I find more hilariously untrue. Either way you are really living in a fantasy-land if you think that only 1% of PS3's have some sort of failure.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
PSN: DrTrouserPlank
XBL: AgentKillmore
/16

R0ckMuncher22

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
R0ckMuncher22
Accepted Solution

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

R0ckMuncher22 wrote:

JOHNY--BRAVO wrote:

500,000 at most....

(1%)

I'm finding it difficult to decide which figure I find more hilariously untrue. Either way you are really living in a fantasy-land if you think that only 1% of PS3's have some sort of failure.

Because?  I'm guessing your measure is number of forum threads....  Which is  fantasy-land

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

T-e-X

• Award Winner
95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
T-e-X
Accepted Solution
awesome news @DeathroW22 tho is it units sold or shipped ? :)
0 Kudos

MVP
/16

steven_dutch

• MVP
85%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steven_dutch
Accepted Solution

R0ckMuncher22 schreef:

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

R0ckMuncher22 wrote:

JOHNY--BRAVO wrote:

500,000 at most....

(1%)

Because?  I'm guessing your measure is number of forum threads....  Which is  fantasy-land

5 out of 7 friends of mine (not forum mites or people on my PS3 friend list) had the YLOD happen to them. All of them with the PS3 Phat.

I therefore find it hard to believe it's only 1%. Too coincidental in my opinion.

0 Kudos

/16

ProjectVRD

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution
Average electronic device fail rate is about 2%, and both PS3 and 360 are above that. There are more than 500,000 that went nuclear. It's kinda scary that with the 2% industry average that would be 1,000,000 dead consoles, the precentage sounds fine but the number translation sounds onimous :D
0 Kudos

I am going to be rude and ask you follow me 

@TweetScientific

If I had my own way then you wouldn't have a choice

But you will find out about some ridiculously awesome stuff,

Like QUANTUM TELEVISIONS!!!!

/16

Firefox2000

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Firefox2000
Accepted Solution

Wow....thats a lot of consoles...and 8 million for move...very nice indeed.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
94%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution

Hmmm

Very good.

0 Kudos

/16

JOHNY--BRAVO

89%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JOHNY--BRAVO
Accepted Solution
1% failure rate , utter rubbish, total propaganda, how on earth can you believe the 1% failure rate that 1% will be the 1% that sony had to replace within the 1st year but many peoples machines failed just outside the 1 year so wont even be counted, for a product to fail even within the first 3 years shows how unreliable these machines are and sony know these machines have an inherent fault but fefuse to accept it, if they came out boasting x amount of units sold and x amount of machines still operating since launch i would be impressed but im not impressed by simply units sold as many of them would have been purchased as replacement units by unhappy cheesed off parents keeping their kids happy
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

stalker1982

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stalker1982
Accepted Solution
grats on them reaching 50 million

with the wii and the 360 also above 50 million shows how much the video games industry has grown
0 Kudos

Raptr Forum Signature
/16

Rank_ftw

95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rank_ftw
Accepted Solution

8 million Move peripherals sold is a pretty good number.

0 Kudos

N4G | | Twitter | | Raptr | | Steam
/16

Firefox2000

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Firefox2000
Accepted Solution

Rank_ftw wrote:

8 million Move peripherals sold is a pretty good number.

I know, I'm glad its doing so well because its a great little peripheral

0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

JOHNY--BRAVO wrote:
1% failure rate , utter rubbish, total propaganda, how on earth can you believe the 1% failure rate that 1% will be the 1% that sony had to replace within the 1st year but many peoples machines failed just outside the 1 year so wont even be counted, for a product to fail even within the first 3 years shows how unreliable these machines are and sony know these machines have an inherent fault but fefuse to accept it, if they came out boasting x amount of units sold and x amount of machines still operating since launch i would be impressed but im not impressed by simply units sold as many of them would have been purchased as replacement units by unhappy cheesed off parents keeping their kids happy

I agree 100%

The PS3 failure rate is not up to the 360 numbers but to say it is 1% is dlusional (spelling)

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16

S1M0N_AZAR1

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
S1M0N_AZAR1
Accepted Solution
1). You didn't include the small print which details what is meant by *1, *2, *3 etc. That is VERY important and your information is now bordering on misguidance because of it.

2). Everyone knows (except the second poster) that the 1% figure for YLODS is false as it was confirmed by retailers and insurers. Sony won't release the actual amount because they said it is "commercially sensitive"

3). How many of those 70 million+ accounts are people's alts or can be considered as active?

I must emphasise here, without the small print, that information is useless and misleading.
0 Kudos

/16

Mojo_666

79%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mojo_666
Accepted Solution

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

R0ckMuncher22 wrote:

JOHNY--BRAVO wrote:

500,000 at most....

(1%)

Well none of us know for sure, but I am the only one out of my crowd who has had YLOD 3 originals are still going strong and all the 80gigs are too...just because most ppl come here to QQ does not mean there is an epidemic...truth is we are all guessing and pulling numbers from our arses.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

owenp185

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
owenp185
Accepted Solution

Mojo_666 wrote:

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

R0ckMuncher22 wrote:

JOHNY--BRAVO wrote:

500,000 at most....

(1%)

Well none of us know for sure, but I am the only one out of my crowd who has had YLOD 3 originals are still going strong and all the 80gigs are too...just because most ppl come here to QQ does not mean there is an epidemic...truth is we are all guessing and pulling numbers from our arses.

Exactly what I was going to say lol, no one knows the exact figures so why start arguing over it people? I have had a PS3 blu-ray failure but I know at least 10 people who are still on their PS3 from years ago. Tbh I wouldnt be surprised if mobile phones now days have a worse life expectancy.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
- - - - - - - - - - - -
www.owenprescott.com
/16

HASyvJrOrUs

38%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
HASyvJrOrUs
Accepted Solution

Actually the Xbox 360 failrate for their system was 54.7%, where the wii and the ps3 topped 14% ... hhmm... no wonder microsoft xbox 360 has taken the market. you have to replace their console at least 2-3 times in the 5 years you have one. Its a selling technique! lol

0 Kudos

/16

HASyvJrOrUs

38%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
HASyvJrOrUs
Accepted Solution

I am sorry, my mistake.. 54.2% ...

0 Kudos

/16

HASyvJrOrUs

38%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
HASyvJrOrUs
Accepted Solution

Playstation 3 failrate: 10.6%

Nintendo Wii: 6.8%

Why do you think Microsoft gave 3 year warranties on the RROD, and etc problems. Instead of a regular 1 yr warranty like PS3, or the Nintendo Wii... because they knew this would happen. People dont want to ship off their console to wait 2 weeks to get it back, they want to get back to gaming... so they will go out and get a new xbox 360 to play on and sell the broken one. And the Wii is selling like crazy, but the reason for the low failrate on the Wii, is because people generally play the wii 2-3 hrs...where as with the ps3, or the xbox 360... its 5-6 hrs.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel