02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PlayStation has DIED within 3 weeks??

42 Replies 795 Views Created 20-11-2010

Okay, straight to the point:

My PLAYSTATION 3 SLIM IS NOT WORKINGI purchase dit Oct. 29th. its november 20th!! its not even been a month, what the frick man?

how it isn't working:

in the middle of watching The Apprentice on BBC iPlayer, my playstation 3 literally cut out. As if someone hit the switch at the wall. i went over to my playsation 3 slim and there was absolutely no lights, and when it cut out it never made any beeps or sound.  I pressed the power button, and the red dot light by the Power button returned.  I Pressed it again and it powered ON. after 5 seconds of powering on like it usually would (NO Loud fan, no odd sounds, nothing unusual) it just turns off. it cuts out. but there is NO BEEPS or flashing lights, no yellow light appears by the eject or power button. it just turns straight off!

i keep my playstation 3 WELL VENTILATED with atleast 5 inches of space all around it, and i have it sat on a cooling mat horizontal.

i have tried turning it back on several times and its still doing the same thing.. i intend to take it back as i assume it isnt goign to work again.

i don't want to hear any bs about "playstations don't break, its you"

i am just like anyone else here with typical electronics that work.  i bought an original 60gb ps3 back in august 2007, and that died back in september. i bought a new ps3 slim because i refuse to play the game of paying £150 for a fleeting working refurbished ps3 that will die again.

well this slim just bricked.

sony have a serious issue on there hands with their machines in the manufacturing process.

i don't know why other peoples ps3's arent bricking. i own 30 ps3 games and i am a medium to light user.  i dont play heavy time loads of call of duty, i actually have only been playing monopoly streets these past week or two.

and that is on the WII AND Xbox. and the wii atleast lasts.

whats going ON?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

BasketSnake

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BasketSnake
Accepted Solution
Your playstation died.
0 Kudos

Re: PlayStation has DIED within 3 weeks??

/16

Meeds_79

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Meeds_79
Accepted Solution

unlucky m8 , take it back to the shop and get a replacement should be no problem...

0 Kudos

/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
"i don't know why other peoples ps3's arent bricking"

Because the PS3 has an amazingly low failure rate but as with anything technical ones bound to die every now and then? You got unlucky, better luck next time.
0 Kudos

/16

WikidEvilGenius

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WikidEvilGenius
Accepted Solution

One word "warranty".

Send it back to the shop and get a replacement.

0 Kudos

/16

Cpl_H1cks

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cpl_H1cks
Accepted Solution

Did you buy it in a shop or did you buy it used ie off some one ect ? , as your saying you dont want to pay sony £150 ?

0 Kudos

ADD MY MAIN PSN ID HERE ------->
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
When your out of warranty PS3 dies Sony charge £140 for a "Refurbished Console". OP stated he/she had a fat PS3 die on him/her previously, hence the slim.
0 Kudos

/16

Cpl_H1cks

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cpl_H1cks
Accepted Solution

yea but did he/she buy a new slim or a used slim from a shop game ect , or did he buy it from some weby like ebay ect  ?

OP if its 3 weeks new out of the box from a shop just take it back no need to send it to sony bud , if not well looks like you will need to get sony to fix it m8 ...

0 Kudos

ADD MY MAIN PSN ID HERE ------->
/16

Cov3rt-1

35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cov3rt-1
Accepted Solution

it clearly isnt a low failure rate guys if it can die in 3 weeks..

and its my 2nd ps3

and TRUST ME i was like anyone else who had a working ps3 that hadnt died or given me a problem and thought "yeah everyones just been unlucky" well, you end up believing differently when your ps3 actually dies on YOU..

i will take it straight back to argos, i just can't believe a ps3 can die within 3 weeks, thats crazy.

i'v built a computer, own a laptop, and a hdtv, all the usual gadgets a ps3 owner would own, nothing of mine breaks.

sony do have a problem, if it is a very low failure rate, then somepeople must be playstaiton-3-bricker magnets.

question: has my ps3 slim died of YLOD like my Fat ps3 did? i don't see any yellow light. and at the itme it broke down the slim wasnt even hot. it was moderately warm an quiet.

0 Kudos

/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
A new born baby dies after 5 days, that must mean that theres a high death rate amongst infants in the western world! Right? No... Use your head mate.

A faulty console is a faulty console, and it'll almost always die after a certain period of time. But that portion of fauly consoles is very small.
0 Kudos

/16

Jonesy-ov-s5

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jonesy-ov-s5
Accepted Solution
sounds like it has a faulty power supply. as someone above said, u are going to get things tht are faulty, moder day technology int like it use to be, consoles uin the 90s was very simple and same with other technology then, they had only the tech in em that was needed, not like now where things have more than they should have. as technology adances you are at more risk of getting a fault, look at mobile phones of the 90s, they was built like a brick ***** house and last for ages simply because they only had the tech in them to do what they was made for and that was phone calls. now phones have it all, camera, sat nav, wifi, alsorts so the more tech you put in, the more chance it has failing.
0 Kudos

------------
now own a 12GB Super Slim with a 500GB HDD upgrade.
/16

koolkid201

96%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
koolkid201
Accepted Solution

Jonesy-ov-s5 wrote:
sounds like it has a faulty power supply. as someone above said, u are going to get things tht are faulty, moder day technology int like it use to be, consoles uin the 90s was very simple and same with other technology then, they had only the tech in em that was needed, not like now where things have more than they should have. as technology adances you are at more risk of getting a fault, look at mobile phones of the 90s, they was built like a brick ***** house and last for ages simply because they only had the tech in them to do what they was made for and that was phone calls. now phones have it all, camera, sat nav, wifi, alsorts so the more tech you put in, the more chance it has failing.

Not really. In the past they made cars that would last a lifetime. all good for the consumer, not so good for the consumers. If things last a lifetime then companies are not going to make a lot of money. So they made things less reliable so you have to go and replace said product more regularly. Nowt to do with more technology in the product.

0 Kudos

Photobucket
PS3 #1 06/07/07-22/12/08 PS3 #2 02/01/09-19/09/09 PS3 #3 27/10/09 - 22/11/09 PS3#4 14/12/09-11/10/13 (Revived 01/11/13)

/16

WikidEvilGenius

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WikidEvilGenius
Accepted Solution

koolkid201 wrote:

Jonesy-ov-s5 wrote:

Not really. In the past they made cars that would last a lifetime. all good for the consumer, not so good for the consumers. If things last a lifetime then companies are not going to make a lot of money. So they made things less reliable so you have to go and replace said product more regularly. Nowt to do with more technology in the product.

You sound a bit paranoid there with the conspiracy theory against the consumer. To be fair, modern cars are a lot more complicated now and have on board computer systems. There is a lot more to go wrong but fundamentally cars today will last just as long providing they are looked after. It all depends on how much you rely on the technology. The closer you get to experimental the further away you are from stability.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

planet_lee

• Beta Tester
98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
planet_lee
Accepted Solution
Glad to see the Sony defenders hard at work here :D

" The closer you get to experimental the further away you are from stability."
@ ^ the best excuse for PS3 hardware failures I've seen yet.

**Please excuse me while I wet myself laughing, while simultaneously looking at my 4th YLOD PS3, awaiting my next 'continuous play' funded refurb on Wednesday.
:|
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

WikidEvilGenius

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WikidEvilGenius
Accepted Solution

planet_lee wrote:
Glad to see the Sony defenders hard at work here :D

" The closer you get to experimental the further away you are from stability."
@ ^ the best excuse for PS3 hardware failures I've seen yet.

**Please excuse me while I wet myself laughing, while simultaneously looking at my 4th YLOD PS3, awaiting my next 'continuous play' funded refurb on Wednesday.
:|

I'm not defending Sony I am just stating a fact.

You get the same problems with all technologies from televisions to routers to digital camera's, etc. These are the consequences of living on the bleeding edge.

With all due respect you are getting refurbished replacement consoles from Sony. The hardware has not changed since the time they were last fixed so there is nothing to suggest they will not fail again. Sony are aware of the problems with their earlier PS3 consoles which were mostly susceptible to YLOD. They have corrected these problems with the latest models, making them a lot more reliable.

I personally wouldn't waste my time with refurbs and get one of the following models, either CECH-25xxA or CECH-25xxB. I know a refurb will cost you less but in the end it's false economy and something you will pay over and over again.

0 Kudos

/16

matthawes

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
matthawes
Accepted Solution
Cov3rt-1 did you buy the 320gb slim with 2 free games and a free wireless controller for £284.99 deal that argos had on?
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

planet_lee

• Beta Tester
98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
planet_lee
Accepted Solution

WikidEvilGenius wrote:

I personally wouldn't waste my time with refurbs and get one of the following models, either CECH-25xxA or CECH-25xxB. I know a refurb will cost you less but in the end it's false economy and something you will pay over and over again.

I think you missed two important words from my post, "Continuous play".

There's no point in buying a brand new slim (which I can't take continuous play insurance for) when I get my refurb under policy.

Yes I agree that the older models are suseptable to YLOD, but that's the point of my post.

People here are blindly defending the build quality of the PS3, when we all know there are problems.

You yourself suggest that the next refurb is also likely to fail, which tends to suggest that you are aware of the hardware failure rate. ('Incredibly low', I think not).

And as slims have only been around for a year now, it'll be interesting to see the failure rate of those outside of warranty.

I wouldn't call a PS3 console 'bleeding edge' either.

0 Kudos

/16

trum

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
trum
Accepted Solution

Has anyone on here actually mentioned that some of these issues are out of Sony's hands?

EU regs/rules dictate that lead based solder cannot be used and this in itself leads to problems with alot of new electronics.... I'm sure Sony would like to go back to making quality goods with the equipment they want but rules and more rules means that they cannot and therefore imo quality suffers.

Lay some blame imo on the EU... not like i eat Lead Based products so why the ban? i think that has alot to do with why PS3's suffer the YLOD

I have had failed Ps3's but i took out Cont. Play a couple of years ago and imo it's a great service.... so yet again blame the tards who got that service taken away for new comers!

0 Kudos

/16

WikidEvilGenius

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WikidEvilGenius
Accepted Solution

planet_lee wrote:

WikidEvilGenius wrote:

There's no point in buying a brand new slim (which I can't take continuous play insurance for) when I get my refurb under policy.

Yes I agree that the older models are suseptable to YLOD, but that's the point of my post.

People here are blindly defending the build quality of the PS3, when we all know there are problems.

You yourself suggest that the next refurb is also likely to fail, which tends to suggest that you are aware of the hardware failure rate. ('Incredibly low', I think not).

And as slims have only been around for a year now, it'll be interesting to see the failure rate of those outside of warranty.

I did not miss the fact that you subscribe to continuous play. I chose not to address it because it's irrelevant. Continuous play will only offer you a refurb which as I already stated are a lot more likely to develop the same problem. The solution is simple, either stay with continuous play and suffer your refurbs to fail or buy a new slim.

The failure rate is still statistically 10% on the older models which Sony have now corrected. I do not have any evidence to back up this assertion but I've heard the newer slims are a lot more reliable so the failure rate should be considerably less.

PS3 is not bleeding edge now today but the consoles we are talking about were the older models. These were developed back when the PS3 was bleeding edge. If you deny the technology was bleeding edge back when these consoles were manufactured; I would be interested to know what other games consoles on the market with equivalent technology have not had teething problems? The only competitor I can think of is the Xbox 360 and that has had even more problems.

0 Kudos

/16

trum

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
trum
Accepted Solution

WikidEvilGenius wrote:

planet_lee wrote:

WikidEvilGenius wrote:

I did not miss the fact that you subscribe to continuous play. I chose not to address it because it's irrelevant. Continuous play will only offer you a refurb which as I already stated are a lot more likely to develop the same problem. The solution is simple, either stay with continuous play and suffer your refurbs to fail or buy a new slim.

The failure rate is still statistically 10% on the older models which Sony have now corrected. I do not have any evidence to back up this assertion but I've heard the newer slims are a lot more reliable so the failure rate should be considerably less.

PS3 is not bleeding edge now today but the consoles we are talking about were the older models. These were developed back when the PS3 was bleeding edge. If you deny the technology was bleeding edge back when these consoles were manufactured; I would be interested to know what other games consoles on the market with equivalent technology have not had teething problems? The only competitor I can think of is the Xbox 360 and that has had even more problems.

I have a refurb that has lasted 2+ yrs, thats longer than some peoples slims have lasted... just because it's a refurb does not make it any more likely to break!

They don't fix a refurb as in re-solder etc they will ditch the broken components and replace with new....

Also with Cont Play it means your not without a gaming console for more than 2 days and have no worries about expensive repairs or having to buy new consoles which are just as likely to break as a refurb imo

imo if you have already got cont. play then stay with it whilst consoles are still a fair few quid, makes sense imo rather than ditching it for a new console and only getting a 12month warrenty.... Cont. Play aslong as you pay your monthly subs will at least guarentee you a Ps3 to play with :-)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

WikidEvilGenius

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WikidEvilGenius
Accepted Solution

trum wrote:

WikidEvilGenius wrote:

planet_lee wrote:

WikidEvilGenius wrote:

I have a refurb that has lasted 2+ yrs, thats longer than some peoples slims have lasted... just because it's a refurb does not make it any more likely to break!

They don't fix a refurb as in re-solder etc they will ditch the broken components and replace with new....

Also with Cont Play it means your not without a gaming console for more than 2 days and have no worries about expensive repairs or having to buy new consoles which are just as likely to break as a refurb imo

imo if you have already got cont. play then stay with it whilst consoles are still a fair few quid, makes sense imo rather than ditching it for a new console and only getting a 12month warrenty.... Cont. Play aslong as you pay your monthly subs will at least guarentee you a Ps3 to play with :-)

If you have a refurb that has lasted you that's great. Whether or not it's more likely to break will depend on the problem it had originally. I am specifically referring to the YLOD but consoles can have other problems such as a dead laser on the BD-ROM. I don't know what model you have but if the failed component on your refurb was replaceable then you're just like the other 90% of PS3 owners who have not had problems with their consoles.

I don't know what measures Sony take with consoles that have the YLOD. If the solder has overheated breaking the circuit, other than to re-solder, I can't see what they can do short of replacing the entire motherboard. It has been publicly asserted that consoles which have the YLOD and been fixed are far more likely to develop that same problem again. I would argue that with a refurb you may have the luck of the draw. It all depends on what model you get and what problem it had initially.

Continuous play is fine and lots of people use it. I personally would hate to go through multiple refurbished consoles that have all had YLOD only to repeatedly loose all my saved games.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel