Shaggy2000

84%
02 Rank
Progress

Putting PS3 into DMZ dangerous?

45 Replies 6,305 Views Created 22-04-2008
22 Apr 2008
By Shaggy2000

I've read alot of posts on the tech forum about how to put my PS3 into the DMZ on my router, hopefully this will solve the problems I have with my PS3.  However does anyone know if doing this will allow cause me problems later on, I mean as far as I can tell the PS3 is then totally visible to the internet and anyone could access it....................that cant be a good thing.  (I know nothing about routers/modems etc. so dont flame me)

By the way I've posted this in the general forum because the tech support forums dont seem to get alot of traffic, and I would prefer a quick answer.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

WhitePointStar

92%
03 Rank
Progress
WhitePointStar
Accepted Solution
I wish more people DMZ their system than people moaning about EA servers when they are actually some of the best reliable servers around if your not restricted by your connection.
0 Kudos

Re: Putting PS3 into DMZ dangerous?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Davey1975pafc

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Davey1975pafc
Accepted Solution

hi there. hoping for some advice if possible.
i have a ps3 and i play black ops,mw3 quite often. the thing is that when i was using my homehub2 router every now and again it would go to strict nat. then all i would do is insert mw2 to open it,eject game and re insert black ops and voila.
now, ive been sent a homehub 3 from bt and it works very well but all i have now is a moderate nat? i mean moderate all the time????
ive tried port forwarding ,changing games etc but it always stays on moderate no matter what i do???
for reference i tried putting ps3 into dmz and it worked,nat was open :manlol:
ive cancelled the dmz now as it was just for test purposes.
ive even tried the using same ip address setting within the homehub3 manager but it still doesnt change it.
any ideas how i can get an open nat without using the dmz?

for reference, i have a moderate nat with
black ops
modern warfare 3

i have a open nat with modern warfare 2

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
fski
Accepted Solution

Moderate shouldn't be too much of an issue but if it is I found this, it's a bit 360-ish but the same should apply for PS3 :

http://www.techjawa.com/2011/11/09/guide-get-nat-type-open-in-modern-warfare-3/

Why not just keep the DMZ?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

WalrusSausage

22%
02 Rank
Progress
WalrusSausage
Accepted Solution

Yes, it is inherently dangerous.  Per PS support, they recommend that you open the following ports:

TCP Ports: 80, 443, 1935, 3478-3480. 3659, 10050, 10051, 10000-10099, 10040 – 10060, 42127

UDP Ports: 3074, 3478-3479, 3659, 6000, 50000 – 60000

Ideally, PSN should disclose the URLs and IPs of their servers so that you could create an access list in your firewall explictly allowing traffic from those trusted sources.  I've contacted their support and they for some inane reason do not have those available.  

That being said, UPNP is the safest available option, as it only leaves the required ports opened for the duration of gameplay, but I've only had intermittent success with it with the PS3 (several articles say the UPNP though the PS3 can be flaky).  The second best option would be manually building the aforementioned ranges into your router's table.  I would still refrain from the 80 and 443 and I don't know why it says you need them.  It's not like you're hosting a web server off of the PS3 and the port forwading that you are configuring is for INCOMING connections only.  Most residential setups don't restrict outbound traffic.

0 Kudos

Putting PS3 into DMZ dangerous?

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel