96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Retrieving game data from broken ps3 with YLOD

45 Replies 28,700 Views Created 16-04-2010

Ever had the Yellow Light Of Death (YLOD) ?? well if you haven't?, it's just a matter of time before you do. So what should you do? first things first, whilst your ps3 is working right now at this moment, BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!! Its very important!. why is it so important? because if you get YLOD and you cant get it repaired then you WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR OFFLINE GAME DATA and at this moment in time there is NO WAY of getting it back, not even sony can retrieve it.

So why do sony allow this to happen? well i spoke to a person from sony support and they say, in you manual it tells you to BACKUP your data....but.. did you know that? No, well sony seem to think that we all should have known that.

Did you you know if you get the YLOD and you are out of the warrenty period, if  you send it to sony, you will get charged £100-£150 and in some cases i read, people have got there ps3's back with there game data erased... so not only are you paying £400 (if you got from release date) or £284.99  you got to pay £100-150 to get it fixed and you might not get it back with all your game data on.... Cheers sony for your services! lol. So why is being allowed to happen sony?.. i'll tell you why, so they can make even more money out of us.

I understand sony like to protect your personal data.... wait i mean themselves lol your data isn't important lol don't be silly. From what im told from sony support, sony protect the harddrive system data and personal data from there customers (YOU & ME), sony employees plus customers who would get ps3 and take it to a  computer replair shop...don't make sense to me, because if you buy a sony laptop and it breaks down, all data is retrieveable, system/personal or otherwise, so sony, thats just one big cop out!. I understand sony have to protect this data but do they really need to protect gamesave data?.

At this moment in time, if you stick in your ps3 HDD into a new or another ps3, the ps3 is programmed to format that HDD to register that HDD to the motherboard...WHY can't sony allow YOU & ME to be be able to just stick old HDD right into a new ps3 without formatting and just enter a personal code that we setup. So when you put in an older drive from a broken ps3, into a new ps3, the new ps3 would as for this code, we enter this personal code and BAM your ps3 allows the old HDD and away we would go. If only sony could have come up with that lol..... YOU LISTENING SONY? TRY PUT THIS INTO A NEW UPDATE FOR PS3 USERS TO BE ABLE TO HAVE NEW PS3'S READ OLD DRIVES.

OTHERWISE WHATS THE POINT IN BUYING MORE, NEW PS3 GAMES IF THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE WE WILL LOSE THE DATA FOR GOOD. SORT IT OUT SONY, YOU CAN'T IGNORE THIS FOR MUCH LONGER, THIS PROBLEM IS BECOMING BIGGER AND BIGGER, IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE SOMEONE SUE'S  YOU AND HAS A GOOD CASE TO DO SO.

Any one having these YLOD problems let me know.

Anyone who finds away to retrieve ps3 game data from broken ps3, please let me know.

I have tried putting ps3 HDD into encloser, then into new ps3 or pc and it dont work.

Please post.

Thanks

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

R_07

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
R_07
Accepted Solution
One word:

Hairdrier

/thread
0 Kudos

Re: Retrieving game data from broken ps3 with YLOD

/16

grogy86

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
grogy86
Accepted Solution

You could just send it off to the console doctor to fix your broken ps3 and your data will be ok and they offer 6months warrenty

0 Kudos

/16

maxon27

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maxon27
Accepted Solution

I have had it repaired once, worked for 2months, then it happened again. went to get it repaired again but this time it wouldn't work. Hair drying trick works but only for some and it won't last long till it happens again plus you end up distorting your ps3 till it looks like sloth from goonies lol.

Besides i can't see why sony can't just allow game save data to be readable via pc or ps3. Like i said before, sony should just allow us to setup a backup code that is then stored on the HDD, so when it comes to the point where your ps3 is nolonger repairable, you could just get new ps3, slip in HDD from broken ps3, new ps3 asks for the backup code, then excepts the drive. Everyone would that bit happier.

0 Kudos

/16

Blarty

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Blarty
Accepted Solution
Heatgun it to reflow the solder,to get it working again, then get a new one, and use data transfer
0 Kudos

SPLITTERS!!
/16

maxon27

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maxon27
Accepted Solution

yes i know how you feel and still sony have done nothing to sort this issue. Everyone needs to complain to sony so they get it into their thick skulls that this is a big problem with ps3's and needs to be sorted.

0 Kudos

/16

SuperHeroMAH

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SuperHeroMAH
Accepted Solution

I got the YLOD alot of times!!(Because I play it to much XD) My dad fixed itloads of times before but this time it took forever to to fix but my dad cant fix it 9:smileysad: Some time befor that my dad got a new PS3!!!In January I got LBP2 and I played it on the PS3 my dad fixed!!!Soon it broke so my dad took the game out and BAM I played it on the other PS3.I copied my Published Levels and Soon WOOHOO I found Costumes in Sackbots!!!I saved them and then I was Happy!!!!:King: But I was upset about my LBP1 Data!!!But you can Use existing PSN user so you get your Tropies,Info and avatar and your DLC:Winner:

Thanks

SuperHeroMAH

PS.Mydads PSN is aa_dum (Dont add him,or he kill you)

0 Kudos

/16

maxon27

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maxon27
Accepted Solution

Hairdryer don't always work.

0 Kudos

/16

R_07

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
R_07
Accepted Solution
I used a hairdrier to fix a friends console...we then traded it in and got £100 toward a new one.

Not to mention we recovered his saves.
0 Kudos

/16

maxon27

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maxon27
Accepted Solution

you recovered his saves because you was able to get the ps3 working but if you didn't get it working, you wouldn't of got the saves back. Point im trying to make which no one is getting, is that we should be given an option to be able to retrieve our game data even if the ps3 is broken. doing the hairdryer trick only extends the life for few months if your lucky but mark my words, it will happen again and their is only so much the ps3 motherboard can take of un controlled heat on parts of the board you don't even know your effecting. Trust me, you check google on how to retrieve data from ps3 and you will find loads of people who have fixed the ps3 from YLOD by different means but the YLOD still comes back. So its up to us as the customer to start letting sony know, its got a problem on there hands. As we pay loads of money for console, games, DLC i think we should get a system that we KNOW aint gonna break down. I still have a ps2 and i use to hammer it playing games, films, plus got that when first released and i'd say that ps2 is better value for money then ps3 because it still works even after all theses years without any problems.

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
I think that Sony probably are aware of the issue about getting data from a YLOD PS3 unfortunately :(

Probably the best (though not cheapest) way to work around the issue is to get a new console (with extended warranty ;), then hairdryer, DIY or 3rd party fix and data transfer the stuff across to the new one.

Not ideal, and not cheap - but at least it tends to work :)
0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

maxon27

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maxon27
Accepted Solution

the ps3 shouldn't break down in the first place but you are right, if you can get ps3 fixed, then yes you can backup or data transfer but if you cant get the ps3 fixed, nomatter what, you cant get data back. as soon as you put old ps3 hdd into abrand new ps3, it will ask to format first  which you dont want.

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
you're absolutely correct there, unfortunately :(

0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

maxon27

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maxon27
Accepted Solution

Anyone got any idears for making ps3 HDD readable on a pc?.

I have an idear but not sure it will work.

I read somewhere that when the ps3 formats a HDD, it formats it so the HDD has no drive letter making it unreadable on a pc, i got speaking to a mate of mine who is a computer wizz and he said it is possible to convert the ps3 drive in dos on a pc to allocate a drive letter, which should then make it readable. Once a pc can see it, we then can drag off our game save data & restore it....well thats what im hoping.

More people should be on to this because it's becoming a big problem. We can't keep going out and buying hard drives to back up data all the time, so the ps3 should be more reliable. We can't be expected to go buy a new ps3 everytime the ps3 breaks down outside its warrenty, then get charged an extra £150 to get it fixed, it's just wrong!.

But if we want sony to hear us, maybe the best way, is to contact watchdog but they will only do somthing if loads of people write in. We can't keep taking it up the arse (wich we are doing at the mo).

0 Kudos

/16

Farscape247

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Farscape247
Accepted Solution
they encrypt the drive to stop piracy of games, also there is nothing you can do to read it on a pc, i have worked as an it technician for 12 years now and i can tell you now that all the data is encrypted. it's called tough luck and get a new console, tech breaks down all the time it is the world we live in, we want power, they give us power but at a cost (reliability).

if it has happened before to you then you never learn't your lesson, always and i mean ALWAYS backup your saves weekly and at least sync your trophies weekly when you do the backup.
0 Kudos

Play More Live More
/16

maxon27

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maxon27
Accepted Solution

When i spoke to sony support, i was told the drives don't get encrypt but hey who knows for sure. No this has only happened to me this once but having 100 gb worth of data just gone is not somthing i can just brush aside.

Yes sony may do this to the HDD to protect piracy.... but how is it? as its only game saves that need restoring, account data can stay protected thats fine. If you have your psn account set to auto login when ps3 starts up, if a ps3 gets fixed, whats stopping a computer repair shop or sony taking data then, nothing, so why should it matta with a broken ps3 that is nolonger working at all. Its all one big con! Charge us £400 or £284 depending what version you get, it breaks down outside warrenty and then sony charge £150 and they format your drive. Whats the point buying new ps3 games, with the good chance you could lose it all, not everyone knows to backup.........Great!

0 Kudos

/16

maxon27

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maxon27
Accepted Solution

Here is a link to youtube of a person who got the ylod...AGAIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=jqyoJr6lgFc&feature=watch_response

So people, just because you got your ylod fixed once, Once you get it the first time, YOU WILL GET IT AGAIN! So you gonna buy a brand new ps3 all the time when old one can't be fixed? STUPID! somthing needs to be done about it and the only way is to stick together and make sony hear us. SONY! SORT OUT YOUR SHODDY WORK AND MAKE SURE YOUR PRODUCT IS WORKING BEFORE SHIPPING IT TO THE MARKET AND HELP YOUR CUSTOMERS OVER COME THIS OVER GROWING PROBLEM, NOT CHARGE US A FORTUNE FOR YOUR FAULTY CONSOLES TO BE REPAIRED WHEN IT'S YOUR FAULT!

I dont't want to keep backing everything up every 5 FU*+ING minutes how many HDD do you think i own and they ain't cheap either plus it takes hours doing so.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

HUYI

• Beta Tester
82%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
HUYI
Accepted Solution

i know what you mean with the YLOD i have figured it out myself from all the sony consoles that have broken down since i have brought them, every ps2 that has broken down on me died right when the warranty expired, i've went through 3+ ps2s ps3 same thing, they die exactly after the warranty expires, i've read loads of peoples topics about ylod and it's the same thing it's always after the warranty that it dies, sony will deny it fans of sony will deny it because it's sony after all, it's a flaw in all sony gaming products unfortunately.

i don't know if you have heard of the DRE's on the ps2 (disc read error) sony was successfully taken to court on the matter and they had to make the lasers in the ps2 better so they stop dying so prematurely, i pray every day that sony will once again go to court for the ylod in the ps3, it's only a matter of time before it happens, sony was confronted by watchdog in the past by the ylod but a lot of people shot them down saying they had no real "evidence" to prove what they were doing was true, also sony brought a statement again not taking the blame for their fault and that was that, the customer gains nothing and we are back to square one where sony can again keep making money from us.

i've wasted nearly £900 of my money because of sony's ylod fault. and i will never see that money back ever again, i had a 60gb that died just after the warranty expired, got it repaired, it died again, i lost £160 as i went to a 3rd party repair shop as i didn't want to loose my copy protected gamesaves if i sent my ps3 to sony, so after that i had to buy another ps3 brand new because i didn't want to take the risk of the 60gb dying again, i had no choice in the matter.

eventually i will have the same problem with my current 80gb, it will go the same way, that is a guarantee, the warranty runs out may this year and it's only just a waiting game before it dies and becomes my second ps3 that goes the same way, and then i will keep having to buy more and more ps3s and each time those ps3s break sony will be getting more money from me, you see why they only design the ps3 models to work just after the warranty expires? they want to make money from you, it wouldn't make financial sense to let the customer to have a working ps3 for 10+ years because they wouldn't make as much money, it's embarrassing because i have a sega saturn, a nes and a snes that still works after 20 years but current technology like this can't even last for more than 2 years, just picture this, when the ps3 is at the end of it's life cycle and the ps3 is seen as a retro console how many second hand ps3's do you think will be out there? none because they would have all ylod, it will be like a dying breed of dodo birds ready for slaughter lol

see it as a scam, but other people may see it as something else sony will not get away with it for long.

as for the backup utility, you know the process is useless, as soon as you restore your backup to another brand new ps3, say goodbye to your DLC and PSN games, say goodbye to your copy protected gamesaves too, they all go, it's a useless backup system and it backup absolutely nothing, i know what you mean by the internal hard drive in the ps3, you want the convenience of simply taking out the hard drive from the ps3 and putting your old hard drive into another new ps3 with no penalties, that's not going to happen i'm afraid, sony don't like convenience or giving the customer a easy ride, they like profit and greed and nothing else.

the xbox 360, that got me thinking, they have removable drives that they can conveniently take from one xbox to another so if the console dies their data will separately be on the removable hard drive and they just snap it back onto their next new console without loosing data, without having to download gigs worth of data from the psn store like we are forced to do everytime, i wonder why we can't have that convenience?

i wish there was a way to decrypt the backup data on the external, it would save me and a lot of others a lot of time so we don't have to keep downloading all our stuff from the store all the time, plus it will let us backup copy protected stuff too which would be nice but i can only dream, well we do have geohot taking intrestst in the ps3 now, lets see what he comes up with.

so anyways i best stop typing, i could talk forever about that silly ylod problem but i don't want it to wind up people who think that it's not a problem and so on.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

maxon27

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maxon27
Accepted Solution

Yay about time someone sees where im coming from, i was starting to think it was all in my head haha.

From what im told the ps3 HDD is still in fat32 format but its been formatted without an allocated drive letter, making it unreadable by pc and unreadable when in an enclosure, then connected to ps3. So im looking into finding away to convert  my old 60gb HDD so that i can allocate a drive letter to it, it should then become readable so a pc can see it.

Im also looking into trying to get a new power supply for my broken ps3, i just found out that is also a reason why ps3 get YLOD. I'll update on how i get on.

Right, so the new series of watchdog is starting soon, think its about time we stop turning a blind eye to this YLOD and the loss of expensive data and start reporting this to watchdog. Least that way we might see what bull***** sony come up with. Like 'we protect the ps3 HDD data for anti piracy and to protect our customers' BULL*****! Laptops have more personal data on them and if they break down, everything and anything can be retrieved from them... sorry sony, not buying it.

Oh here is another thing sony said to me, " you can't secure a house and leave a window open" meaning they can't data protect parts of the drive and leaving just games saves unprotected, lol i said " if you can scratch a cyber monkeys arse (eyepet) by waving your hand infront of a camera, im sure in this day and age it's possible, after all, it's the motherboard that is (progeammed) to auto format a new drive that isn't registered to that system". Yet again, im not buying it.

C'MON people we need to stick together!.

0 Kudos

/16

Bloodsuckaaa

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Bloodsuckaaa
Accepted Solution

I am having even worse trouble then you guys..

Sometime around January my ps3 couldn't read discs. I was *****. I was gonna get it fixed by Sony, but I got it fixed at a local gamestore for 110 dollars to get it back faster.

then a couple months later on Valentines day (ruining a great day) I get the YLOD. I pay 140 dollars to get it fixed at a local gamestore.. I get it back a few days later and then 5 MINUTES later it broke again.

I had it repaired again by the same place for free this time.... Then it lasted about an hour and it broke AGAIN. This time with ff13 stuck inside of it (on my birthday, too) He spent so much time trying to fix my ps3 that he wouldn't give me a full refund.. but at least he got the disc out for me.

So then I ended up buying a new slim ps3, only to find myself ***** off that I can't play ps2 games, I have none of my game data, only 2 usb slots, and my old fat ps3 is just sitting there doing nothing.

But I am glad to see that I am not alone going through similar problems.. I wish I could just get them resolved... and I wish at least I could have all my data back again...

I have gotten red ring of deaths before on my 360, and I don't even get mad cuz  know I get to keep my data no matter what and it's easy to get it repaired for free.. A Yellow Light Of Death on the other hand is HELL. Especially since I like the ps3 so much more. Btw my ps3 and 360 broke at the same time once.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

maxon27

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maxon27
Accepted Solution

Daam sory to hear of your bad times. My xbox360 has had red light 3 times so i got fedup with it and done towel trick and it worked lol.......for how long i don't know lol. i think it's wrong that sony are cashing in big time from there faulty systems. i sent watchdog an email about the problem we are having but most about our data that is no longer retrieve able that we have spent loads of time collecting.... almost 4 years for me. So the only time watchdog will get in touch with sony is if loads of people come forward with there stories. So get on http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/ tell them your story and how much its cost you. It will only help us in the future if we all stick together on this.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel