By XtraMinty

XtraMinty

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Ridiculously Loud Fan & Sending it back to Sony?

33 Replies 1,705 Views Created 15-05-2009

Right, I'm sure you've all seen and heard (although not in person fortunately for you) the problems with regards to the ps3 fan going stupidly loud, so much so that it beings to get hard to hear it over the actual TV volume. I have this unfortunately, and its become so annoying now, that when Im in my room, what I have had to do it hook my tv up to a stereo and have the sound come out of those speakers really loud just to drown out the noise of my silly fan.

I have had my 40gb PS3 since the end of January 2008, (Bought from ASDA electricals of all places :smileyvery-happy: ) and I recall that for the first few months it was absolutely fine, playing on Resistance and Motorstorm with little to no fan noise, but one night when I was playing GTA 4 about a month after release, the ultra fan kicked in and I was wondering what the hell was going on, so decided to re-boot the system and see what happened. The fan didn't start up again until a few days later when it became as loud as it is now. I would re-boot but it would start up super loud again within about 10-15 minutes, so I just gave up and cranked up the volume

In the beginning, it was a GTA-only problem, but a few months after that (sort of around Sept 08) it started to do it on other games, even Resistance and Motorstorm, the previously quiet games, and even after just leaving the xmb on for 10 minutes, or just watching a film from the hard drive. I've since got a fair amount of new games and it does it on every single game, save for PS1 Games. The same applies for when I watch DVDs and Blu Rays through it.

And before I get told its because my room is too warm, too dusty etc, the PS3 is upright on the floor, has about a foot all around it, and the temperature in my room isn't that high either (I'll have to get a thermometer and have a look). It seems to be doing it for no good reason.

I've heard that its because of dust in the ps3, or perhaps a software error or some kind of *****-up with the internal thermometers? Can anyone offer and explanation, and possibly a solution to the problem?

I've seen on youtube that a few people with the same problem have sent theirs back to Sony and its been fine, if so, how could I go about doing this, and how would it work, as I bought the PS3 well over a year ago.....and have only recently found out it would have been possible to do so. I thought I would have had to stick with the problem....

Any help much appreciated.....

0 Kudos
LABELS:
----------------------------------------------
How did I get here I am not good with computer
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

FatBoyJack

80%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FatBoyJack
Accepted Solution
shortly before my april 07 60gig died from the dreaded YLOD it was starting to get really noisy....id get prepared for it dying (it might and probably wont but jus to be safe id get ready)
0 Kudos

Re: Ridiculously Loud Fan & Sending it back to Sony?

/16

stevewhu

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stevewhu
Accepted Solution
my second refurb had a terrible loud fan, i called Sony they said they wont change it. Its an old model they said. I sold it for £180 on ebay and bought a brand new 80gb with KZ2 & LBP for £270
0 Kudos

/16

GtBunny

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GtBunny
Accepted Solution
Mine has done it 3-4 times, but only on Killzone 2 twice and Uncharted twice, never does it on SF4 and I play that soooooo much.
0 Kudos

/16

ITFCdan

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ITFCdan
Accepted Solution
My 60GB has been doing it (loud fan) for over a year now , i play on it 2-3 hours daily.
0 Kudos

/16

TheDasMan

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheDasMan
Accepted Solution

Just had my daughters changed (bought in december),the fan was louder than the tv volume from day one.(Nothing to do with temp/dust)

Big Thanks to sony customer services for sorting it.

0 Kudos

/16

JudgeFredd

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JudgeFredd
Accepted Solution

XtraMinty wrote:

I've heard that its because of dust in the ps3, or perhaps a software error or some kind of *****-up with the internal thermometers? Can anyone offer and explanation, and possibly a solution to the problem?

I've seen on youtube that a few people with the same problem have sent theirs back to Sony and its been fine, if so, how could I go about doing this, and how would it work, as I bought the PS3 well over a year ago.....and have only recently found out it would have been possible to do so. I thought I would have had to stick with the problem....

Any help much appreciated.....

From what I have read on the internet one of the causes of the loud fan is dried up thermal paste.

I don't know if there is any truth in this but when the 60GB first launched there were quiet a few complaints about loud fans, particularly in Scandinavian countries and this was apparently down to badly applied thermal paste so maybe there is some truth in this idea of dried up thermal paste, it sounds like there could be a link between it and the fan gearing up.

If the console was OK for a year then that would be enough time for the paste to dry out.

0 Kudos

/16

Plugpin

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Plugpin
Accepted Solution
Mine occasionally does it, usually after 5+ hours of being on.

Gets annoying but I use it as a sign to have a rest.
0 Kudos

SPLITTERS!!JOIN THE REVOLUCION
/16

Eagle_CFC

76%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Eagle_CFC
Accepted Solution

Mine does this as a 'survival' response when it is getting hot.  It's was stored in what i thought was a good spot, but it was too close to my amp and the heat from that would cause it to overheat after a while, if i moved it away from the amp the fan would settle down after about a minute.  I've since invested in a proper stand for all my electrical goods and my PS3 is away from the amp and anything else on it's own section, and the fan has never kicked off since.

I'm not sure putting it on the carpet is the right choice?

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

BAZ1307

• Beta Tester
89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BAZ1307
Accepted Solution
My fan doesn't only get ridiculously loud after a short while, it also makes an irritating noise that's like the fan is hitting the inside of the PS3. I've waited ages for it to break, like get the YLOD or stop reading discs so I can send it to Sony but it just doesn't want to die on me. :(

ATM I'm actually thinking about buying a second PS3, probably the 80GB because it's much quieter and I can still use my 60GB on the odd occasion for playing PS2 games.
Message Edited by BAZ1307 on 16-05-2009 02:42 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

TrueSlawter

74%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TrueSlawter
Accepted Solution
mines just generally noisy but after 2 years i kind of expect it a bit.. but when i can be bothered i might open it up and apply some arctic 5 silver and clean the fan out etc seeming im out of warranty :(
0 Kudos

/16

Gotoxy-90

83%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Gotoxy-90
Accepted Solution
Ever since i put my PS3 in a vertical position, it hasn't made a single noice. :)
0 Kudos

/16

IrelandSniper

96%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
IrelandSniper
Accepted Solution
Yeah, the floor is not a good place for it
0 Kudos

/16

st0rmbr1nger

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
st0rmbr1nger
Accepted Solution
The fans are loud because it's decided it's running too hot.  If you fx that, you fix the fan noise.

Make sure it's adequetely vented.   Do the fans get loud if you put the PS3 on a coffee table with nothing around it?  If it stays quiet, then thats a surefire indication that it's usual location is no good.

The internals could be clogged up with dust.   If you don't smoke, then a fan-test will usually dislogde most dust, you can slso try hoovering the vents out.   If you smoke, then it['s game over, as the tar and dust combine to make "yellow goo" inside your PS3 that will never budge and always clog up and restrict airflow.
0 Kudos

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
/16

xStretch-

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xStretch-
Accepted Solution
Mine went really loud the other day aswell :S. Only got it last month, I hope its nothing serious.
0 Kudos

Psn- StretchY-
GT5
/16

XtraMinty

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
XtraMinty
Accepted Solution

st0rmbr1nger wrote:
The fans are loud because it's decided it's running too hot.  If you fx that, you fix the fan noise.

Make sure it's adequetely vented.   Do the fans get loud if you put the PS3 on a coffee table with nothing around it?  If it stays quiet, then thats a surefire indication that it's usual location is no good.

The internals could be clogged up with dust.   If you don't smoke, then a fan-test will usually dislogde most dust, you can slso try hoovering the vents out.   If you smoke, then it['s game over, as the tar and dust combine to make "yellow goo" inside your PS3 that will never budge and always clog up and restrict airflow.

Nope I don't smoke, never intend to. I thought it could be to do with dust, but theres hardly any dust in the room, and when I vacuumed it once, it ran virtually silent for about 10 minutes then the fan kicked in as usual

And I've moved it around a far bit to try and solve the not enough air space, or getting too hot problem, I've also done what you suggested before, but again, made no difference, and once I even went so far as to put it next to an open window and still made no difference at all

I think i'll have to phone Sony up at some point (or even drop then an e-mail if that's possible?) like TheDasMan said he did for his daughter, and see what they say.....

0 Kudos

/16

XtraMinty

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
XtraMinty
Accepted Solution

Right, I've been surfin' teh internetz and found that his problem, along with a few others can seemingly be fixed just by doing a factory reset. Im sure there was some sort of recovery option with the ps3, I just can't remember how to do it

Anyone know how to do or has aready done this? Like with setting the hole thing back to how it came, back to the orginal firmware etc? If any knows pleeeeeeease tell me!

If this doesn't work then I'm gonna get Sony on the phone and see what they can do......

0 Kudos

/16

TMX-MV6

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TMX-MV6
Accepted Solution

it is a console fault as its the Thermistors failsafe kicking in

the temp sensor has obvously failed and has a failsafe mode to stop the console overheating simple fix i expect but best go through the proper sources

0 Kudos

/16

XtraMinty

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
XtraMinty
Accepted Solution

Ahhh, thank you kind sir. Im going to give Sony a ring tomorrow or some time next week to see what the professional opinion is

But i've found a system restore option in the xmb which i'll try tomorrow (as its worked for other people) as it can't do any harm

I was just wondering, I think I know the answer, but if I take the Hard Drive out (I've got a 320GB installed) put the orginal in to restore the system, and then put my 320GB back in once I've restored it, it won't ask to format the 320GB will it?

I just want to make sure, as I don't want to lose all my game saves and movies.....

0 Kudos

/16

Greengrass1980

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Greengrass1980
Accepted Solution
I got my ps3 at the same time as you also a 40gb and mine done the same as yours the noise was so loud i think the fan belt had come off ! but it happened only after a month of me having mine so when i rang sony they sent me a brand new ps3 40gb 
0 Kudos

/16

XtraMinty

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
XtraMinty
Accepted Solution

Well I've sent an email to Sony to see what they say (but I doubt they'll say much)

And that thread on here that says apparently all EU electrical goods have like a 2 year gurantee, then maybe I should be able to quote that to Sony, especially as the PS3 may be seen as being 'faulty' i.e if the temp sensor has failed

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel