90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Rumour: Next Playstaion (Playstation Orbis) 2013

57 Replies 951 Views Created 28-03-2012

Today has seen some supposed details emerging on Sony's entry into the next-generation console market with the PlayStation 3's successor, reportedly codenamed 'Orbis'. Apparently, these details come from a "reliable source" that has shared correct information in the past, according to Kotaku, and pins a 'holiday 2013' launch date on the console.

Orbis as a codename would make sense, as combining it with Vita creates the Latin phrase, 'Orbis Vita' that translates as 'Circle of Life'. It's speculated that Orbis could therefore in fact be the console's final name, as it fits alongide the Vita name. And look where the web address orbis.scedev.net takes you. Interesting.

According to the source, Orbis will likely boast an AMD CPU and GPU, capable of displaying games at 4096 x 2160 resolution - far beyond the requirements of a regular HDTV - and  could possibly run 3D games in 1080p rather than 720p. It's also rumoured that Sony won't bother offering backwards compatibility with Orbis, which could be a bit of a disappointment to say the least.

The source also states that like the rumoured next-gen Xbox, Orbis could also include its own anti-used games system, whereby discs and PSN downloads of full games will be locked to a single PSN account. Used games could still work on different consoles, but only with something resembling an online pass, available at a fee.

Dev kits are reportedly already in the hands of developers, but how much of this reported stuff will actually turn out to be true? For now, this all rumour and speculation, and Kotaku also states that the state of Sony's next-gen console could change drastically between now and 2013. That's assuming that any of the above is credible. Keep your salt bucket handy, as always.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

castaway666 wrote:
What's with the photoshop of the robotic vaccum cleaner.

I'd be very surprised to see anything released this close to the Vita.

Didn't that say the same about the Ps3 and the George Forman grill?

0 Kudos

Re: Rumour: Next Playstaion (Playstation Orbis) 2013

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
MVP
/16

castaway666

• MVP
97%
14 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
castaway666
Accepted Solution
Lets be honest the George Foreman grill prob uses less electricity and produced less heat than our original Fat Boys.
0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

castaway666 wrote:
Lets be honest the George Foreman grill prob uses less electricity and produced less heat than our original Fat Boys.

I would have to agree with you on that one :D

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16

kevballs

87%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kevballs
Accepted Solution
i doubt i'll be buying into the next gen of gaming full stop. This gen has begun to turn me off gaming as it is, it's getting far too expensive for me to fully enjoy my "hobby" as it is.
What with content cut from games to sell later as DLC, on disk "dlc", skin pack dlc's that at one point would have been a reward for completing a game or defeating certain enemies. And then, there's the online passes if you buy used or day one dlc's.
And even more annoying, is games that could be a good 20-30 hours of storytelling, is whittled down to less than 12 just so the publisher can rake in the profits by telling the devs to add a mediocre multiplayer because they think that every game should have multiplayer modes!!

The PS3 is my last console and when that dies, which i'm certain it will because of the poor reliability of this gen's hardware (i've had a 60gb bc fatty and a 120gb slim die on me) I will not be getting another one and i give up on gaming!

Long live the ps2 (i still have my launch day model and it still works!)
0 Kudos

/16

LeeRoye

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LeeRoye
Accepted Solution

Im going back to PC gaming after this generation bites the dust. The reason i went to consoles was to avoid constant patches and online cheating etc, but theses can be used to descrbe console gaming these days too. 

At least when building your own PC you can choose to put quality reliable componants in it so you know it will last the course. 

0 Kudos

/16

whereismax123

84%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whereismax123
Accepted Solution

the games on pc are often alot cheaper also

0 Kudos

Free Image Hosting

/16

SickMick_UK

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SickMick_UK
Accepted Solution
I like the idea that PS4 will have a AMB CPU and GPU hopefully this mean that PS4 wont suffer from bad ports like the PS3 did. But disappointing that it isn't BC.
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
James91
Accepted Solution

LeeRoye wrote:

Im going back to PC gaming after this generation bites the dust. The reason i went to consoles was to avoid constant patches and online cheating etc, but theses can be used to descrbe console gaming these days too. 

At least when building your own PC you can choose to put quality reliable componants in it so you know it will last the course. 

I can't see myself getting another console either, they've had their day.
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
95%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution

James91 wrote:

LeeRoye wrote:

Oh dear. That's just waiting for someone to jump on. :P

0 Kudos

/16

emw80

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
emw80
Accepted Solution

If this story has any merit at all in regards to the backward compatability with PS2 &/or PS3 (PS3 at least), and games being locked to one user,, then i guess I'm done gaming on consoles, I'm not going over to xbox so i guess it's PC gaming for me.

As someone else has said about the PC "you can choose to put quality built parts in your machine making sure it will last", well, I'm on my 4th PS3 since 2009 (all bought from GAME). I just cant understand what the issue is, I have a power surge protector, ( I even left the the last console off the surge protector just to test if it was causing the issue or not), Im a bit of a clean freak as i have had athsma once dont want it again. and I take good care with my electrical equipment and games. I get the feeling that planned obsolescence is the way of electrical goods these days. 

Then there is the thing which others here have mentioned to do with the games themselves and how content is omitted so as it can be sold as DLC, and the fact that many games are just thrown out still in beta only to be given repeated patches the whole way though their life cycle..

What ever happend to cheat codes for the games?, there are of course still may with cheat codes to use, but for ezample you have the likes of EA who think that taking what would most likely have been a cheat code can now be sold to people as "booster packs" etc.. I'm not buying ANY of them, i just wont encourage it.. could go on about EA with the likes of PGA tour and the way they simply leave out adding the golf courses to the game so as to sell them as DLC.... but i wont LOL.

Anyway, hopefully this story is just that, a story and one which isnt going to be true.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
James91
Accepted Solution

shanethegooner wrote:

James91 wrote:

LeeRoye wrote:

Oh dear. That's just waiting for someone to jump on. :P

You know it's true :P they're rather archaic.
0 Kudos

/16

Iyonix

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iyonix
Accepted Solution
There's no way to know if there is any truth in the rumours.

Consider this, if there is bad news on any subject, one way to reduce backlash is to leak information which makes the situation sound a lot worse than the reality.
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

James91 wrote:

In terms of tech persistence you could argue that but surely first party games are what it's all about?

I mean, there will be a great many who simply want to play games by Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, MM, Guerilla etc next gen regardless of or alongiside their big rigs and smartphones. You dig james?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
James91
Accepted Solution

fski wrote:

James91 wrote:

In terms of tech persistence you could argue that but surely first party games are what it's all about?

I mean, there will be a great many who simply want to play games by Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, MM, Guerilla etc next gen regardless of or alongiside their big rigs and smartphones. You dig james?

I dig, but there is no reason why those games couldn't be on PC (obviously bar them obviously being Sony owned studios).

If you're wanting unique games too don't forget the indie PC market, you won't find stuff like VVVVVV or Amnesia: The Dark Descent on a console. No need for a big rig really for most people.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

penny84

• Beta Tester
94%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
penny84
Accepted Solution

Hopefully hear more details in next few weeks if it turns out to be true.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post