Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 40

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

01 Oct 2008
By Sircoynie

Sircoynie

  • Offline
64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Screen Tearing???

52 Replies 542 Views Created 02-10-2008
I've just noticed both wipeout HD and LBP suffer from a very slight screen tearing problem. If you look at the top of the screen when playing you will see it. Anybody else noticed this?
Reply
0 Kudos
LABELS:
If you're an engineer like me?join the IET at www.theiet.org


View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
04
/16

Akira_Tenshi

  • Offline
82%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Akira_Tenshi
Accepted Solution

SpikyCat wrote:

splee wrote:
Does anyone know what the Frame Rates are for these games? I'm guessing there 30FPS+, probably nearing 60?

It could be that the refresh rate of your TV is unable to keep up. Check for a V-Sync option in the games.

I must admit I get no screen tearing on my setup with these games.
Message Edited by splee on 02-10-2008 10:59 AM

 

WipeoutHD is 60fps and LBP feels like about 30. I've never seen v-sync as an option in any console game, although bizarrely there was a demo recently with an option to enable/disable v-sync (can't remember which game).

Bioshock on 360 has a v-sync option, turn it off and the screen tears all over the place. Turning it on and its perfect and it dosen't even seem to slow the framerate down. Hopefully the PS3 game will have this option to.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Tearing???

03
/16

moomoo1234

  • Offline
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
moomoo1234
Accepted Solution
Lego indiana jones had the v sync option, it worked a treat, give us this option in all games please, screen tearing does my head in.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Tearing???

04
/16

fleinn

  • Offline
96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fleinn
Accepted Solution
Hm. Maybe it's the scaling? That if the tv does some sort scaling on the resolution, there's some kind of problem with the graphics card modes?

Anyway - the reason you would get tearing right before the graphics board dies, is because it can't produce enough frames because of errors, and so on. So unless you're noticing serious drops, I think we can eliminate that one.

And you typically get tearing in some games when you turn and large objects need to be drawn very quickly, because you only cache those objects right before you see them - and no amount of optimisation tends to take care of that. So depending on what sort of strategy you're employing for rendering the game- world [insert Microsoft rant here], you may or may not be able to predict these drops, or do something about them. On a racing game, you could for example go through all the angles on the court and count the amount of pixels you have on every spot [insert another microsoft rant]. Which could be enough to make sure that every new redraw and view is scaled in the game- engine so it won't drop the framerate. Or you could do other tricks, like magically decrease the view- distance when things happen in the fore- ground. Or just reduce the textures in levels, things of that sort.

In any case - the reason you don't have a v-sync option on most games is because either it's turned on, or it's turned off - depending on what sort of strategy the game- devs had when they made the game. Or in the case of.... [insert yet another microsoft rant]. I mean, on the ps3 it's always on - and the kind of drops you get is typically when the framerate drops below 30 fps. Which means, with v-sync enabled, that the box drops every other frame while the fps- count is down (to sync the picture with the refresh- rate). And that's experienced as instability in the picture. Tearing, on the other hand, is when frames are drawn out of sync with the refresh- rate, and when you have a useless buffer- strategy [insert your average microsoft rant], which makes for example unfinished frames getting drawn during the frame- drops.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Tearing???

03
/16

Iluvatare

  • Offline
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iluvatare
Accepted Solution

fleinn wrote:
Hm. Maybe it's the scaling? That if the tv does some sort scaling on the resolution, there's some kind of problem with the graphics card modes?

Anyway - the reason you would get tearing right before the graphics board dies, is because it can't produce enough frames because of errors, and so on. So unless you're noticing serious drops, I think we can eliminate that one.

And you typically get tearing in some games when you turn and large objects need to be drawn very quickly, because you only cache those objects right before you see them - and no amount of optimisation tends to take care of that. So depending on what sort of strategy you're employing for rendering the game- world [insert Microsoft rant here], you may or may not be able to predict these drops, or do something about them. On a racing game, you could for example go through all the angles on the court and count the amount of pixels you have on every spot [insert another microsoft rant]. Which could be enough to make sure that every new redraw and view is scaled in the game- engine so it won't drop the framerate. Or you could do other tricks, like magically decrease the view- distance when things happen in the fore- ground. Or just reduce the textures in levels, things of that sort.

In any case - the reason you don't have a v-sync option on most games is because either it's turned on, or it's turned off - depending on what sort of strategy the game- devs had when they made the game. Or in the case of.... [insert yet another microsoft rant]. I mean, on the ps3 it's always on - and the kind of drops you get is typically when the framerate drops below 30 fps. Which means, with v-sync enabled, that the box drops every other frame while the fps- count is down (to sync the picture with the refresh- rate). And that's experienced as instability in the picture. Tearing, on the other hand, is when frames are drawn out of sync with the refresh- rate, and when you have a useless buffer- strategy [insert your average microsoft rant], which makes for example unfinished frames getting drawn during the frame- drops.

A good, astute, technically correct reply, for once. I have learned something from this. I hope other will too.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Tearing???

03
/16

AfxBGD

  • Offline
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AfxBGD
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:
Too busy actually enjoying the games to care.


What a smart remark that was, why bother even replying with something as stupid as that.

Anyway to the OP, no m8 i haven't seen it on WipEout, i have actually encountered this on BF:BC and Drakes Fortune.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Tearing???

08
/16

frodouk

  • Offline
94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution

Smart remark? Not really, just the truth. I could have been alot smarter if I had really thought about it.

 

There is nothing wrong with your PS3 OP.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Tearing???


02
/16

Sircoynie

  • Offline
64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sircoynie
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:

Smart remark? Not really, just the truth. I could have been alot smarter if I had really thought about it.

 

There is nothing wrong with your PS3 OP.


Haha! Yeah you would REALLLLLLLLLY have to think about it.

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Tearing???

If you're an engineer like me?join the IET at www.theiet.org


02
/16

joff81

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
joff81
Accepted Solution

Sircoynie wrote:
I've just noticed both wipeout HD and LBP suffer from a very slight screen tearing problem. If you look at the top of the screen when playing you will see it. Anybody else noticed this?

ill explain seen as everone else is just mickey taking.

 

screen tearing is just the games framerate being out of sync with your tv nothing more.

 its not a problem/issue its just something that happens with this generation of consoles due to the lack of v-sync which is down to developers wanting games framerate to run as close to 60/30 FPS as possible without locking the framerate.

 

dont worry about it as it only happens now and again and to be honest its less apparent on the PS3 as it is on the 360.

 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Tearing???

02
/16

Sircoynie

  • Offline
64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sircoynie
Accepted Solution

joff81 wrote:

Sircoynie wrote:
I've just noticed both wipeout HD and LBP suffer from a very slight screen tearing problem. If you look at the top of the screen when playing you will see it. Anybody else noticed this?

ill explain seen as everone else is just mickey taking.

 

screen tearing is just the games framerate being out of sync with your tv nothing more.

 its not a problem/issue its just something that happens with this generation of consoles due to the lack of v-sync which is down to developers wanting games framerate to run as close to 60/30 FPS as possible without locking the framerate.

 

dont worry about it as it only happens now and again and to be honest its less apparent on the PS3 as it is on the 360.

 

 


Cheers buddy! I actually do know what it is (i'm an electronic eng) and have seen it in games before (Dead rising on the 360 was terrible for it and Saints Row).

I was just a little concerned because i had a laptop with a X700 chipset in that died, and one of the symptoms before its death was screen tearing issues (over heating) and seeing the same thing in two yes AMAZING GAMES got me abit worried.

 

I was just making sure that it was a software issue and not a hardware, and in order to do that i thought i would see if everyone else is seeing the tearing.

 

Cheers for help peeps.....My mind can rest again   

Message Edited by Sircoynie on 02-10-2008 12:41 AM
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Tearing???

[ Edited ]
If you're an engineer like me?join the IET at www.theiet.org


04
/16

fleinn

  • Offline
96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fleinn
Accepted Solution
I have tearing when I'm playing on the old tv.. I thought it was some sort of problem with syncing for 50hz with scanlines. No tearing at all on my hdtv, though..
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Tearing???

02
/16

Synergy_Uk

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Synergy_Uk
Accepted Solution

Sircoynie wrote:
I've just noticed both wipeout HD and LBP suffer from a very slight screen tearing problem. If you look at the top of the screen when playing you will see it. Anybody else noticed this?

Have not noticed anything as yet buddy but I will keep my eyes open for it though ;)

 

P.s. Just been on Wipeout HD and yes I noticed some screen tearing but nothing to worry about realy... 

Message Edited by Synergy_Uk on 02-10-2008 03:07 PM
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Screen Tearing???

[ Edited ]
Wannabeacat
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel