85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Sony Announce New ‘Pre-Buy’ Service

19 Replies 745 Views Created 16-05-2012

http://techtroid.co.uk/sony-announce-new-pre-buy-service-for-sorcery-others-10733

Players will be able to pay for and download games before they are released, just like you can with Steam titles. Then, on release day, the game will be unlocked for all to play.

0 Kudos
LABELS:

Twitter.jpg

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

All this is doing Is allowing PSN downloads before the BD release.

(The delay to friday is a UK specific delay. The Rest of EU gets games on PSN store update day.) 

Will I use it. unlikely as the BD will be cheaper, Digital Release prices will be the Full RRP/SRP which means you pay extra again all ready.

If a title Is Download exclusive there wont be a BD version anyway. so this early release can't happen as what it realy means is SCE is delaying the release for a week or so.

0 Kudos

Re: Sony Announce New ‘Pre-Buy’ Service

[ Edited ]
SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

What's the point in this feature? You pay for something, download it, then wait a millenium before you can play it, daft idea? I mean who wants a bunch load of unplayable games clogging up valuable hard drive space on their PS3. You might as well wait for it's release.

Sony's logic is: Increase download sales and avoid over heating of their servers on PStore. I like the logic but you're just shoving your rubbish on to our side and ripping us off in the process. Great one Sony:smileyfrustrated:

0 Kudos

To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance
/16

The-Sea-Trout

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
The-Sea-Trout
Accepted Solution

So is it just for full game releases or will this option be availale for PSN titles as well??

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lfcrule1972
Accepted Solution
Worst idea ever :D
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Jacko_the_lad

• Beta Tester
99%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jacko_the_lad
Accepted Solution

So, I could pre-order from an online retailer and get the game a day earlier and on disc.

Or I could pre-order from the Store, pay £10 extra, and have to wait for it to download and install.

Hmm. It's a tough one.

0 Kudos

/16
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LittleBigDragonz
Accepted Solution

Well i think it's good that Sony have given people a choice to use this feature or not, and too be honest at least you will get the game on release date, unlike some companies that sends the game out late due to whatever reasons.

0 Kudos

/16

darrenj1

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
darrenj1
Accepted Solution
I think its a good idea, cant see anything negative about it anyway. if someone wants to use it, then the option is now there.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

BiosNova

• Beta Tester
99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BiosNova
Accepted Solution
Steam have done this for ages and it's a great feature.

To explain, people might want to buy the digital version of a game. Now if they can pre download it to their console then it is unlocked on release day, they can play right away like their friends who might have bought it on disc, they are not waiting all day to download the game and are not missing out that day just because they chose the download copy.

This is very helpful to people with slow connections who can have it ready to go day one.
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

BiosNova wrote:

To explain, people might want to buy the digital version of a game. Now if they can pre download it to their console then it is unlocked on release day, they can play right away like their friends who might have bought it on disc, they are not waiting all day to download the game and are not missing out that day just because they chose the download copy.

This is very helpful to people with slow connections who can have it ready to go day one.

Whether you download today or tomorrow; people would still be missing out on valuable playing time and clogging up their Hard Drives.

0 Kudos

/16

chrisandsheva

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
chrisandsheva
Accepted Solution

Obviously it's in sonys interests to do this... Now why can't they just use this sensible approach and install it into most of the other areas due, nay Overdue for common-sense approaches, universal store, 'real' ps1or ps2 'classics' i guess the list would be a long one, If i continued.. As for digital, well not unless i need to, or i actually plan on keeping a game.. mind you i suppose most games need playing First before that call can be truly made.. read an interview last week, apparently mobile phones Will have the same gaming power as ps3/x-box in 3to4 years (tops) wow... i can only 'imagine' then what next gen consoles will be capable of.. But one thing i Am expecting in them is either exclusive or use of 'cloud' gaming..also discs Will one day be gone from modern gaming. so i really hope a buy-back, trade in play rights, or Some sort of used game reward is introduced... Obviously, though possible And reasonable, twill never happen.

0 Kudos

/16

Occident

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Occident
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

BiosNova wrote:

Whether you download today or tomorrow; people would still be missing out on valuable playing time and clogging up their Hard Drives.

No you wouldn't, obviously you just download it while you're idle or just before going to bed or something, assuming you can't download it in the background.

While I prefer physical copies, this is a very handy and user friendly feature for people who like digital copies of games, or PSN exclusives opposed to retail only titles.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

Yeah I don't see the problem either, it's just another choice and HDD's are made to be used. It's not my bag but I already know of a few that have signed up for Sorcery this way.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

There will be users who will think "if a games READY for Download then the BD release date should not matter" and the game should be put on PSN for instant play that day ignoring the BD release date. 

Those users wont care about creating a division of the user base (unlike SCE). PSN downloaders vs BD owners...

These users just prefer less waiting time for their game. (Same reasoning behind importing of US BD titles that take months to be localised to EU.) 

SCE has allready Divided Its user base with MOVE and PS+ Exclusive only content, looks like they were not prepaired to divide it more. 

Sorcery,  the first tilte on this system is a MOVE exclusive title, so the User base is allready Split from DS3 only users.. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

PSN is still overpriced when it comes to new games, so I think the majority would weigh up the gaming market first and just buy from the cheapest supplier. I mainly use my hard Drive for DLC, music and PSN games and I usually wait until I have enough information before I purchase.

Two question's though:

What if the developer changes something in the game last minute and you've downloaded the game prior to the changes, would the changes install automatically when you start the game or would you have to download the updated game again when the finished product is released?

Also what's the time frame between the advertisement being put on display for download; till the actual product being released? 

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

What if the developer changes something in the game last minute and you've downloaded the game prior to the changes, would the changes install automatically when you start the game or would you have to download the updated game again when the finished product is released?

The BD version goes "gold" long before the BD release date. It takes along time to get the first shipment out to every Shop for the same release day. So BDs versions are OLD. 

Any changes to the game after this "gold" status date, Means a Day 0 patch for the BD release.

If they get a new PSN version threw PSN QA the patch will be in the PSN version other wise you get the same day 0 patch.

EA did this with Mass effect 2 it was a Different version on PSN than the BD...

Also what's the time frame between the advertisement being put on display for download; till the actual product being released? 

No body but the publishers knows yet and they are not saying. Activison may give you Two weeks notice, EA could give you 3 weeks, THQ only 3 days. Or SCE may Fix the time frame.

0 Kudos

/16

Simy

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Simy
Accepted Solution
This is all well & good for the pc market with most pc's having multiple LARGE hdd & a choice of which drive to put the dload on, but for the ps3, it's never going to work........
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fski
Accepted Solution

Simy wrote:
This is all well & good for the pc market with most pc's having multiple LARGE hdd & a choice of which drive to put the dload on, but for the ps3, it's never going to work........

I hear what you're saying but between a 500GB HDD, media sharing and an Ext. HDD I've never once worried about space for DD games, the vast majority of media other than games isn't on my PS3 HDD.

0 Kudos

/16

daviina

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
daviina
Accepted Solution
this is a step in the right direction. People that are complaining about this really do baffle me. I can not see a negative. It s an extra option, it does not take anything away from anyone else, just for those that want to play bang on mid night then its great.

As others have said steam do this, I did it with Diablo 3 and then right when servers went live I could play. I have a 320gb ps3 and not run out of space yet and I have over 50 psn games on there and several full games too.

Keep it up I say, more options the better.
0 Kudos

/16

MoltenArmour

73%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MoltenArmour
Accepted Solution

daviina wrote:
this is a step in the right direction. People that are complaining about this really do baffle me. I can not see a negative. It s an extra option, it does not take anything away from anyone else, just for those that want to play bang on mid night then its great.

As others have said steam do this, I did it with Diablo 3 and then right when servers went live I could play. I have a 320gb ps3 and not run out of space yet and I have over 50 psn games on there and several full games too.

Keep it up I say, more options the better.

This. People really do moan about everything. :O

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel