Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 65

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

25 Aug 2009
By boffin92

boffin92

  • Offline
85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

[ Edited ]
26 Replies 690 Views edited 25-08-2009

I know there's a thread with the ads alone in but this explains the whole situation...

 

 


guardian.co.uk wrote:

 

 

Sony is to launch an £82m pan-European marketing campaign for the PlayStation 3, firing the first advertising salvo against rivals Nintendo Wii and Microsoft Xbox as consumers start to think about presents for Christmas 2009.

 

The TV element of the campaign, which has been developed by the TBWA agency, marks a complete departure from Sony's traditional tactic of often esoteric and dark commercials.

 

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, which has committed £6m to marketing in the UK, has not run a major ad campaign for the PS3 since the new games console launched almost two years ago.

 

The launch of the PS3 was accompanied by a TV ad featuring a range of bizarre Cirque du Soliel-type performers, called "the entertainers", to represent the capabilities of the console.

 

However, the new set of TV ads, the first of which launch in the UK tonight, focus on the simpler aim of describing the range of services available on the PS3; these include online gaming and Blu-ray movies, downloading TV and film content and being able to watch the BBC iPlayer.

 

"Two years after launch PlayStation 3 is realising its full potential," said Alan Duncan, UK marketing director. "The console is moving beyond gaming and gaming is moving beyond discs."

 

SCEE is desperate to win the Christmas sales battles against rivals Nintendo and Microsoft this year. The campaign comes on the heels of a price-cut announcement at the European games trade show Gamescom.

 

Screen Digest has forecast that Sony will sell 4.3m PS3 consoles across Europe this year and a total of 11.16m across the lifetime of the product to date.

 



Looks like a nice, fresh approach to go with the slim, they're bringing out the big guns finally.

 

 

 

PS3 Slim,

rebranding,

cheaper price,

FW 3.00,

£82m ad campaign,

Movie and TV on-Demand service,

growing platinum range

and many big titles coming out over the next year.

 

...things seem to really be looking up for Sony themselves and us, the consumers. :) 

 

 

Wooh!

Message Edited by boffin92 on 25-08-2009 02:19 PM
Reply
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
04
/16

TUCKA4EVA

  • Offline
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TUCKA4EVA
Accepted Solution
It was only a matter of time before Sony stormed into the lead anyways now they will cover some major ground which they have lost due to the Wii and 360 imo. they always make a good comeback. :)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

05
/16

whereismax123

  • Offline
84%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whereismax123
Accepted Solution

TUCKA4EVA wrote:
It was only a matter of time before Sony stormed into the lead anyways now they will cover some major ground which they have lost due to the Wii and 360 imo. they always make a good comeback. :)

that was the justification for me paying the extra £150 last year and sacrificing being able to play with alot of friends. xbox live really realy overshadowed psn , but its climbing pack . and when you look at the £30 vs free . they really are coming forward strongly . the more consoles sold . the more money can be given to psn and the machine itself and the better it gets . im glad  sonys own titles are really shining through now . i thought it wouldnt be long before alot of devs would dump the ps and move over to the box for the pure reason of money . its not easy trying to compete against one of the richest companys in the world . and despite being able to take a huge loss on console by being able to drop it to £130 sony have really held strong . last year i thought i it would be sonys last 1 or 2 console gens. doesnt look that way anymore 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

Free Image Hosting


04
/16

TUCKA4EVA

  • Offline
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TUCKA4EVA
Accepted Solution

whereismax123 wrote:

TUCKA4EVA wrote:
It was only a matter of time before Sony stormed into the lead anyways now they will cover some major ground which they have lost due to the Wii and 360 imo. they always make a good comeback. :)

that was the justification for me paying the extra £150 last year and sacrificing being able to play with alot of friends. xbox live really realy overshadowed psn , but its climbing pack . and when you look at the £30 vs free . they really are coming forward strongly . the more consoles sold . the more money can be given to psn and the machine itself and the better it gets . im glad  sonys own titles are really shining through now . i thought it wouldnt be long before alot of devs would dump the ps and move over to the box for the pure reason of money . its not easy trying to compete against one of the richest companys in the world . and despite being able to take a huge loss on console by being able to drop it to £130 sony have really held strong . last year i thought i it would be sonys last 1 or 2 console gens. doesnt look that way anymore 


 

yeh i see what you mean, well i never payed for my PS3 to get fixed i just bought i new 1 instead lol. But the cost of live vs free Psn is a no brainer for M$, they wont be able to keep up with it. I would of bought a PS3 even if didnt have blu ray tbh cause i always no sony still make good quality games :P
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

04
/16

boffin92

  • Offline
85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
boffin92
Accepted Solution

I think the best next step for them when they get the price of production even lower is bundle in a headset, that will really help align it with community and online focused gaming, which is a big part of console gaming's future; and present to some degree. :)

 

A basic HDMI cable in the box would be good somehwere down the line too, one of my computard friends was playing on a HDTV in SD using the av cables, *facepalm*. :D

Message Edited by boffin92 on 25-08-2009 02:39 PM
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

[ Edited ]
05
/16

Sherif_129

  • Offline
92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sherif_129
Accepted Solution

Seems like the PS3 Slim will be a fresh launch of the PS3 for Sony, and will be the launch the original PS3 should have had. Good to see them going back to their PS2 roots and starting to advertise the great features the PS3 has.

 

Good on Sony.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

Photobucket
Beta Tester
04
/16

Danlisa

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Danlisa
Accepted Solution
To hell with 82 Million being spent on advertising. Put that money into further development of the console, XMB features etc. Make the PS3 a machine that gamers want above anything else. Do that and you won't need to spend on advertising, the console will sell itself.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

04
/16

boffin92

  • Offline
85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
boffin92
Accepted Solution

Danlisa wrote:
To hell with 82 Million being spent on advertising. Put that money into further development of the console, XMB features etc. Make the PS3 a machine that gamers want above anything else. Do that and you won't need to spend on advertising, the console will sell itself.

Well, you could have the greatest piece of tech ever but people need to know about, of course, we, the core gamer, the people who watch gaming shows, are on the store as soon as updates are on, come on gaming forums, come on the internet for gaming news and play our consoles more than the average gamer; will know about the features, we will understand the features and so little advertising is needed for us.

 

A big chunk of buyers in the end will be normal gamers and casual gamers, so they need to be advertised for...

 

....whereas core gamers and hardcore gamers will usually buy because they're in the know and know what they want.

 

It has to be advertised and marketed heavily so people know about what it can do and recognize its identity.

 

And I doubt that it's a matter of money with the features they're developing for PS3, imo that's purely down to Sony's GUI developer's ability to create a good interface, I don't believe money should be an issue there. In fact the £82m may help bring in positive revenue that will help, I mean what other reasons would a company put money into advertising for other than brand awareness and making money?

 

:)

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

04
/16

addyjones1234

  • Offline
90%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
addyjones1234
Accepted Solution
i suppose if they put this money in people go out and buy console they make it back??
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.




Twitter user and editor on EverythingPlaystation.com. Click my sig to take a look at EPS or my twitter!
04
/16

boffin92

  • Offline
85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
boffin92
Accepted Solution

addyjones1234 wrote:
i suppose if they put this money in people go out and buy console they make it back??

I'm not sure if they're making a profit on hardware yet, especially after the price drop, but I believe they will make it on software and peripherals easily, plus on things like advertising in home and vidzone, cause if the install base goes up, the advertising costs go up...

 

...a better install base itself is also great publicity for the core gamer and hardcore gamer market cause we take notice of this stuff, especially with the internet, just the act of launching an ad campaign itself is good for business, cause, well, we're taking a lot of notice right now aren't we, plus it's given us a strong level of hope in our console of choice which will be sustained as long as they follow through with it. :)

Message Edited by boffin92 on 25-08-2009 03:19 PM
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

[ Edited ]
04
/16

addyjones1234

  • Offline
90%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
addyjones1234
Accepted Solution

boffin92 wrote:

addyjones1234 wrote:
i suppose if they put this money in people go out and buy console they make it back??

I'm not sure if they're making a profit on hardware yet, especially after the price drop, but I believe they will make it on software and peripherals easily, plus on things like advertising in home and vidzone, cause if the install base goes up, the advertising costs go up...

 

...a better install base itself is also great publicity for the core gamer and hardcore gamer market cause we take notice of this stuff, especially with the internet, just the act of launching an ad campaign itself is good for business, cause, well, we're taking a lot of notice right now aren't we, plus it's given us a strong level of hope in our console of choice which will be sustained as long as they follow through with it. :)

Message Edited by boffin92 on 25-08-2009 03:19 PM

........that's what i meant:P

 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.




Twitter user and editor on EverythingPlaystation.com. Click my sig to take a look at EPS or my twitter!
08
/16

Dannehkins

  • Offline
99%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dannehkins
Accepted Solution
It's about time they started running a major Ad campaign. I was getting sick of the hollow head people playing the Xbox 360 and the 'perfect family' playing the Wii. :)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

04
/16

boffin92

  • Offline
85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
boffin92
Accepted Solution

Dannehkins wrote:
It's about time they started running a major Ad campaign. I was getting sick of the hollow head people playing the Xbox 360 and the 'perfect family' playing the Wii. :)

Yeah, those "perfect families" are clearly alien intruders from outter space.

 

Since when have you ever seen a family functioning like that? :D:D

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

Beta Tester
04
/16

Danlisa

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Danlisa
Accepted Solution

boffin92 wrote:

 

A big chunk of buyers in the end will be normal gamers and casual gamers, so they need to be advertised for...

 

....whereas core gamers and hardcore gamers will usually buy because they're in the know and know what they want.

 

It has to be advertised and marketed heavily so people know about what it can do and recognize its identity.

 


I see your point but I ask you, how did Sony's last bizzare ad campaign demonstrate any feature of the PS3?
Infact, how does the current "Gaming Faces" advert being aired show any of these features?
I'll accept that advertising does have a place for the casual console gamers BUT the ads must showcase specific features.  For example:
Eye Pet - This will appeal to a huge demographic and neatly showcases the PS Eye uses.
MAG - While this is more 'hardcore' is shows the community based gaming aspect of the PSN, with massive 256 players.
PS3 Remotes - Motion controllers ala Wii, again a huge demographic could be lured to this feature.
Vidzone - MTV killer. For that matter Play TV aswell.
TBH, I am sure that we will see the repeat of bizzare and abstract adverts coming to this region because someone up high thinks that because the Japs like or understand them that every other region won't be sitting there going, W.T.F.?  If these ads surface again, it's wasted money.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

04
/16

boffin92

  • Offline
85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
boffin92
Accepted Solution

Danlisa wrote:

boffin92 wrote:

 

A big chunk of buyers in the end will be normal gamers and casual gamers, so they need to be advertised for...

 

....whereas core gamers and hardcore gamers will usually buy because they're in the know and know what they want.

 

It has to be advertised and marketed heavily so people know about what it can do and recognize its identity.

 


I see your point but I ask you, how did Sony's last bizzare ad campaign demonstrate any feature of the PS3?
Infact, how does the current "Gaming Faces" advert being aired show any of these features?
I'll accept that advertising does have a place for the casual console gamers BUT the ads must showcase specific features.  For example:
Eye Pet - This will appeal to a huge demographic and neatly showcases the PS Eye uses.
MAG - While this is more 'hardcore' is shows the community based gaming aspect of the PSN, with massive 256 players.
PS3 Remotes - Motion controllers ala Wii, again a huge demographic could be lured to this feature.
Vidzone - MTV killer. For that matter Play TV aswell.
TBH, I am sure that we will see the repeat of bizzare and abstract adverts coming to this region because someone up high thinks that because the Japs like or understand them that every other region won't be sitting there going, W.T.F.?  If these ads surface again, it's wasted money.

Times have changed and that stuff doesn't work anymore in the more casual market, also, that's why we're happy that Sony have gone down the route of normality.

 

EyePet isn't out yet.

 

PS3 Motion Controllers aren't out yet.

 

MAG isn't out yet.

 

VidZone is mentioned in the advert that's soon to be shown.

 

PlayTV could have been mentioned admittedly but they did mention the iPlayer which is in the same sort of area.

 

And what ad are you talking about, the gaming face ad is the one that's being shown in Japan, Sony is very popular in Japan and the quirky ads are accepted well over there...

 

...the UK advert is this one: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2009/aug/24/sony-playstation-3-ad :)

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

Beta Tester
04
/16

Danlisa

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Danlisa
Accepted Solution
LOL, I know that most of my suggestions aren't out yet but that's part of the point, as with every marketable commodity, it's best to start a ad campaign before that item is available. It generates a demand for something that is not currently available. A good thing. I chose them as they adequately demonstrate the biggest features of the PS3 and its associated network.

As for the Gaming Faces ad, I could have sworn I saw it on TV over the weekend. Anyone else seen it on some obscure Sky channel? Not seen the UK ad yet but watching the link, it's a bit thin on details and features, as far as I could make out, I saw Vidzone and iPlayer. The only PS3 unique item is Vidzone, iPlayer will always be preferable on the PC as users can DL content. Will watch it again.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

04
/16

boffin92

  • Offline
85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
boffin92
Accepted Solution

Danlisa wrote:
LOL, I know that most of my suggestions aren't out yet but that's part of the point, as with every marketable commodity, it's best to start a ad campaign before that item is available. It generates a demand for something that is not currently available. A good thing. I chose them as they adequately demonstrate the biggest features of the PS3 and its associated network.

As for the Gaming Faces ad, I could have sworn I saw it on TV over the weekend. Anyone else seen it on some obscure Sky channel? Not seen the UK ad yet but watching the link, it's a bit thin on details and features, as far as I could make out, I saw Vidzone and iPlayer. The only PS3 unique item is Vidzone, iPlayer will always be preferable on the PC as users can DL content. Will watch it again.

In the console world Blu-ray is PS3 specific. ;)

 

I understand what you're saying about creating demand for stuff that isn't here yet, but for those not so much in the know who go out and decide to buy a console expecting 256 player online, full motion controls and all that stuff might feel a tad let down when they find out it's all still 6 months away, of course, Uncharted, GT5 etc. Will be there but they might not know that so much, being from the normal and casual gaming market.

 

Of course I agree, but MAG isn't out for another 5-6 months, so even know it's good to advertise its features, it's still too early.

 

EyePet makes sense but I think that will get its own advert or combined ad with other games.

 

The motion controls aren't going to be out for 8-10 months and they don't even have a finalized aesthetic design yet, so it would be hard to do that.

 

:)

Message Edited by boffin92 on 25-08-2009 04:35 PM
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

[ Edited ]
02
/16

SBQOF

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SBQOF
Accepted Solution
Plus, remember the last time Sony advertised something that wasn't out yet? Home?
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

08
/16

Firefox2000

  • Offline
94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Firefox2000
Accepted Solution
You just need to look at the 24million console the PS3 has sold worldwide already at its previous high price, at £250 its going to fly off the shelves in a big way.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

04
/16

boffin92

  • Offline
85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
boffin92
Accepted Solution

I done a thread whil ago that shows that PS3 has sold better than 360 when averaged out for time on the market.

 

http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=62&message.id=1510141

 

...when you consider 360 had no competition for the year too, plus PS3 was far more expensive, that's very good going, now with advertising, the publicity of slim, new firmware and a cheaper price, there's no doubt in my mind that Sony will catch up and overtake if they follow through with pushing this rebranding; and don't forget, there will be lots of PS2 users waiting to jump ship now.

 

:)

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

08
/16

Firefox2000

  • Offline
94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Firefox2000
Accepted Solution
^^^I know, i was in it, and it is a good thread.:smileywink:
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel