84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

»» Speed over Capacity ? ««

14 Replies 376 Views Created 28-06-2012

With the 'next-gen' consoles just over the horizon, we've been seeing a lot of threads (Yay! I've made another one... Sorry) about specs and what people think should be in the PS4.

But I just wanted to hear peoples opinions and views on just one part... the HardDrive.

What I was wondering is, how would you feel if the PS4 was released with a 60GB SSD - (less space but faster and alowing Sony to release bigger ones as the prises come down, like with the PS3).

Or would you prefer more space and have a 500GD HDD (about the same price as the SSD at retail at the moment) at launch. So that you can continue using the console as the 'media hub', with all your music and movies, that we are used to with the PS3.

I'm sure there are some other factors that I haven't thought of, so I would like to hear what everyone here has to say.

0 Kudos
LABELS:

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

Jacko_the_lad

• Beta Tester
99%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jacko_the_lad
Accepted Solution

Well, for me, I'd prefer and expect there to be a bigger hard drive. My 60gb was constantly running out of space meaning I spent more time deleting than anything else. :P

Surely next-gen games are going to use up more space, too. Therefore the need for a bigger hard drive.

0 Kudos

Re: »» Speed over Capacity ? ««

MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
98%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mont348
Accepted Solution

1TB HDD as standard out of the box preferably 7200rpm SSD are probably too expensive to have as standard. I could never go back to below 320GB, upgraded my 40GB recently for the second time from 320GB to 1TB down to 500GB space already. 

0 Kudos

Nested replies sux what were they thinking?
/16

Spirit0fLight

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Spirit0fLight
Accepted Solution
How do you people use so much space. My old fatty 60GB lasted me until I replaced with a slim and i'm nowhere near maxing its capacity either.

To the OP : SSD are pretty cheap now anyways, so they could use a 125GB SSD easily I think. But then again for me anyway all that is on my HDD is game data, DLC and save files. So would an SSD hard drive improve how my console runs, barely.

I do not use my PS3 as a media hub though and I never saw the media hub appeal and still do not.
0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

Spirit0fLight wrote:
How do you people use so much space. My old fatty 60GB lasted me until I replaced with a slim and i'm nowhere near maxing its capacity either.

To the OP : SSD are pretty cheap now anyways, so they could use a 125GB SSD easily I think. But then again for me anyway all that is on my HDD is game data, DLC and save files. So would an SSD hard drive improve how my console runs, barely.

I do not use my PS3 as a media hub though and I never saw the media hub appeal and still do not.

Been a member of PS+ since day one and have GB's of downloaded data also I do buy a lot of digital content.

1PS3 has 1TB over half used

1PS3 has 700ish GB well over half used

1 PS3 has 320GB (the one in the kids room) not check recently but again was over half used..

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16

Spirit0fLight

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Spirit0fLight
Accepted Solution
Been a PS+ member since day 1 too. I'm just never interested in the discounts.

Usually just download the free themes and avatars.
0 Kudos

/16

The-Sea-Trout

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
The-Sea-Trout
Accepted Solution

I woul defo prefer a bigger HDD.

I have the 250GB Slim and that now is starting to run low on the memory side of things. And with the was PS+ is going its just going to get even lower lol.

I know a lot of people moan about install speeds etc on the PS3 but its really not that bad, if your installing something go make yourself a nice hot brew or something, works for me!

0 Kudos

/16

Iyonix

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iyonix
Accepted Solution
Big drive is great but as long as you can upgrade as you can with the current PS3 that's fine.

I let PS+ daily runs cope with all the downloading and installing.

I wish it could do DCUO too as it's annoying when you go to play and find another large update.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Danlisa

• Beta Tester
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Danlisa
Accepted Solution

I want options and I want a dual HDD console.

I want a minimum 120gb SSD which will hold OS files and/or games of my choosing.

I want a 1 TB 7200 or 10000 rpm to be the base user drive housing games, videos etc....

I also want the option to 'archive' game installs/packages to an external HDD. Sony can use whatever draconian encryption they want to make this possible.  Regardless of internet speeds increasing, some of us are still stuck on slow infrastructure.

0 Kudos

/16

RONNYNS

92%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RONNYNS
Accepted Solution

one thing you guys forget about the SDD HD... its noiseless and dont give out heat like the old hardrives.. and the 120gb SSD dont cost much anymore. in two years when the new ps4 arrive you will get bigger and cheaper SDD disks.. so i hope sony goes for the SDD HD.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My PS3 career don't end in November 2013... Trey for life!
----
>>REMEMBER TO GIVE KUDOS IF YOU LIKE>>> Thumb up!
----

Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

SSD are alot more portable friendly all ready, they are incased in plastic and don't expose electronics to the User unlike current sata hdd that need HDD tray for every drive in use. 

Sandisk Sonys choice for official third party stuff allready do that 120GB SDD for £60 to domestic market so it would be stupidly cheap for commercial bulk order...

They realy are just a Big memory card with a Sata 3 connection.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

Fix your 3.5mm headset mic issues with a solution....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Click Here <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Subscriber Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now... free versions built in to console OS...
Beta Tester
/16

Cid_Chaos

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cid_Chaos
Accepted Solution

It seem capacity is the main importance to most at the moment. 

I personally was thinking SSD would be the better choice, but maybe that's just me wanting the latest and greatest all the time.

I guess Sony would have to prioritise size over speed if the PS4 is backwards compatible with PS3 content.

I like the idea of duel hard drive bays, but I don't think this would happen just because of the amount of physical space two hard drives would take up (of course this would give Sony the chance to release a slim(er) PS4 when 512GB or larger SSD prices come down and it could have just the one hard drive in it).

I personally think if Sony plan on using any of the benefits from SSDs it will have 8 or 16GB built in for the OS and apps and still have a normal HDD bay for mass content and media storage.

Or maybe Sony will come out with their own proprietary HHD (hybrid hard drive) (we all know how much Sony love proprietary hardware :Frown: ).

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

Dual HDD don't take up bugger all space. 

Portable USB 2 enclosed HDD fit in your jeans back pocket.

Sony put in Memory card readers and extra Usb ports before that took up loads of Space.

Now thats gone. the launch model has loads more room.  

Heat build up is the actual problem with dual bay, for example when next to each other, They will cook each other and near by electronics. 

0 Kudos

Subscriber Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now... free versions built in to console OS...
Beta Tester
/16

Cid_Chaos

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cid_Chaos
Accepted Solution

@Jacko_the_lad  I can't see there being a massive jump in file size due to graphics with the next-gen games, I think the improvements will be more things like draw distance, frame rate and more 'action' on screen at same time. To give a massive boost in textures would require a lot move dev time (which in turn means more money) and don't think publishers are willing to risk any more money.

@mont348 Can't see 1TB being the launch version, you know how company's like to 'hype' a new version as mush as possible and 1TB doesn't give then much room to do this.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

Short version = NO to 60GB SSD

Long version  below = has the reasons why.

Media ( Non games )

Movies and Music dont need a HDD in the Unit anyway.

Ethernet enabled devices don't store media on there storage space they get the data from a nas drive.  

This is why NAS devices have gained popularity and why there is a rebellon on System specific DRM'ed media.

Except for Itunes this is because the AppleTV box has been placed at a cheap price allowing HDTVs to be upgraded. So you can watch Apple DRM'ed content easy. (Not getting a .MOV licensed agreement is the biggest error SCE did wrong on the Media Side. They should have tried harder to get Apple DRM'ed content on Sony devices. )

The UK has no copyright laws blocking Format to Format changes any more, they were abandoned.

You are now free to Back up optical DVD/BDs you own to the NAS drive, before you were Breaking UK copyright Laws.  

The movie studios are the only ones now instisting that you buy there specific file for your specific system.

Games media.

60GB HDD is not big enough for Game only media. Uncharted series allready showed that.

With more content PSN Exclusive only the GAME HDD will need to be bigger than 60GB.

3 games of the current generation and 60GB is used up. never mind the Next gen games.. 

This is why I said DUAL HDD BAY system was needed. As it would make your PSN games collection Portable. 

120GB SSD System HDD min and empty HDD bay for you to Fill with your custom HDD of choice.

Sony have done the empty HDD bay system on devices before and it worked fine, It was on the PS2 for those who forgot...

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel