mh637099

80%
08 Rank
Progress

System Update 4.21 is now available

16 Replies 2,431 Views Created 05-07-2012
05 Jul 2012
By mh637099
Just updated mine to 4.21. It's an optional update so if you are on 4.20 you can still sign in on PSN. It's just a security patch, nothing really new here.
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

The-Sea-Trout

88%
02 Rank
Progress
The-Sea-Trout
Accepted Solution

Cheers for the info, I shall update to it just for the lols.

0 Kudos

Re: System Update 4.21 is now available

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

JOHNY--BRAVO

89%
06 Rank
Progress
JOHNY--BRAVO
Accepted Solution

i dont think a security update would be optional, rather it fix some issues some ps3 users have been experiencing, sony would not make the decision to protect some users by a optional update, especially after the bad publicity the hacking scandal caused.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

acridweasel

• Beta Tester
94%
04 Rank
Progress
acridweasel
Accepted Solution

According to the @PlayStation Twitter account, it's an update that improves software stability. No mention of which software though.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

RabidWalker

• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

Hi guys,

Yep, this is an optional update which improves system stability. There are no new features introduced with this update.

Rabid

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

This would be patches for Software that could not update itself so requires the Firmware do it.

So online games whos servers are broke that have been released or are due, or for Ofline software that has now way to update itself as there is no server connection. 

O and if Auto update on PS+ is on, these optional updates will be downloaded as turning it on means you agree to download every firmware update...

0 Kudos

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

fski

• Award Winner
97%
07 Rank
Progress
fski
Accepted Solution

Might aswell download it since it'll be forced at some point anyway.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Squall_10

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Squall_10
Accepted Solution
I wonder when they will release a software update that allows PS Vita trophies to be viewable on the PS3 similar to how you can see the PS3 ones when on the Vita.
0 Kudos

PSN ID: Squall_10

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mike20036

98%
08 Rank
Progress
mike20036
Accepted Solution
Just got a new ps3 slim today after my old slim blu-ray drive went. Just backing up my stuff on the usb hard drive. Then will update on my new ps3 slim.
0 Kudos

Twitter mike20036

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0DuI1sUpocFv_-MMI9zobQ

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TheStig-P11GT

96%
02 Rank
Progress
TheStig-P11GT
Accepted Solution

Lets hope it solves the stupid problems I have been having on my Slim since updating to 4.20.

PS3 cutting out randomly. 

No lights on the display unless you remove and re-insert power lead. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

darrenj1

96%
03 Rank
Progress
darrenj1
Accepted Solution
the thing is, how can it be optional, how would you know if you have or are going to have the bug that this is intended to fix?

Might as well force all updates really, so improve stability for everyone as you cannot predict who's gonna get this issue.

While you're there, come on enable at least background DOWNLOAD of updates, I understand INSTALLATION could be tougher to do in the background, but DOWNLOAD would be east to implement.

Would reduce people's discomfort with updates as it will be faster update experience for many.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

darrenj1 wrote:
the thing is, how can it be optional, how would you know if you have or are going to have the bug that this is intended to fix?

Might as well force all updates really, so improve stability for everyone as you cannot predict who's gonna get this issue.

While you're there, come on enable at least background DOWNLOAD of updates, I understand INSTALLATION could be tougher to do in the background, but DOWNLOAD would be east to implement.

Would reduce people's discomfort with updates as it will be faster update experience for many.

All games/software that require this bug fix will trigger the update.

Its normaly to late to Re-encode the hole production Run of all BD Master discs to add the fix but just enough time to alter the master BD discs to trigger a request to download the firmware which will patch it.

Each BD does have a small ident area saying What Firmware it needs.

PS3 "Firmware version request please" 

BD data reply "firmware 4.21 please."

PS3 "Sorry not available."

Displaying user meesage  " Please update to firmware 4.21 to play this title. circle to close. " 

PS3 user "bullocks I don't have my PS3 online."

The software that may require this update may not even be out yet.  

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TamKing

95%
05 Rank
Progress
TamKing
Accepted Solution

GraphiteGB wrote:

darrenj1 wrote:

All games/software that require this bug fix will trigger the update.

Its normaly to late to Re-encode the hole production Run of all BD Master discs to add the fix but just enough time to alter the master BD discs to trigger a request to download the firmware which will patch it.

Each BD does have a small ident area saying What Firmware it needs.

PS3 "Firmware version request please" 

BD data reply "firmware 4.21 please."

PS3 "Sorry not available."

Displaying user meesage  " Please update to firmware 4.21 to play this title. circle to close. " 

PS3 user "bullocks I don't have my PS3 online."

The software that may require this update may not even be out yet.  

wow who knew the p3 and BD data were so polite lol :) 

joking aside,i hope this update will fix the random crashes on bf3,or can i blame dice for that?

guess ill find out soon enough..

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Meadp83

31%
02 Rank
Progress
Meadp83
Accepted Solution

I would have thought its strange to make an update optional, because you would want all users to be using the same firmware.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

annorax

80%
02 Rank
Progress
annorax
Accepted Solution

i had a problem with this update. when i had my PS3 on auto shut down with downloads, i would get the 3 beeps on downloads above 3gb's. i got it on both my PS3's as both have the original 320gb hdd. when the 4.25 update arrived, the 3 beeps on auto shut down went away. one of my PS3's is new (got it 3 weeks ago), so i knew it wasn't just the year old console that was playing up.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Izorpo

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Izorpo
Accepted Solution
I had the update forced when I put Tales of Graces f in....odd thing now the ps3 just repeat trophy sync. After the 4th time it tried to re-sync I messaged someone on my friends list who was also playing the game - can't compare trophies as it appears we aren't actually playing that game as it doesn't register so either a) can't sync trophies from a game 2 minutes before actual release day (Tales is technically out on Friday) or b) and probably more likely that there is a problem with this update
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

feitochan

80%
02 Rank
Progress
feitochan
Accepted Solution

Izorpo wrote:
I had the update forced when I put Tales of Graces f in....odd thing now the ps3 just repeat trophy sync. After the 4th time it tried to re-sync I messaged someone on my friends list who was also playing the game - can't compare trophies as it appears we aren't actually playing that game as it doesn't register so either a) can't sync trophies from a game 2 minutes before actual release day (Tales is technically out on Friday) or b) and probably more likely that there is a problem with this update

There's no problems with the update as I was forced to install it and the trophies seemed to have synced correctly and I it does show in the compare trophies section, so it's likely a bug on your system.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel