02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Using USB mouse and keyboard to play PS3 games

55 Replies 61,335 Views Created 08-12-2009

Hi all,

I looked around for a while, and noticed that only SOME games officially support mouse and keyboard for control (unreal tournament seemingly being the -only- one to completely do so) but that is honestly

absurd.

I like action games, and I hate for example that most of the time in killzone or similar FPSs the main problem is accuracy while aiming... OF COURSE you can play with the controller, but in all honesty

having to aim through the controller is ANNOYING

in comparison to doing it with a mouse and a keyboard.

Not to talk about the game experience itself, given that M & K are absolutely more intuitive and immediate when you already use a PC.

I hence ask: is there a "natural", official way to use mouse and keybard REGARDLESS of game support? I know that there are "adapters" for sale, but that's honestly a bit ridiculous (since you need a PC connected to make them work)

Just to be clear. I own more than 30 fps games for the PC, collected over the years, andI only own 3 for the PS3, even if I LOVE the console. Quite frankly, my WII is more suitable to play FPSs (my first game for the wii was red steel) with its native controller.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

dnlgee

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dnlgee
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

Re: Using USB mouse and keyboard to play PS3 games

/16

ChambyR33

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ChambyR33
Accepted Solution

i think the main reason its not widely supported IMO is it gives and unfair advantage to the mouse and keyboard users

if everyone has to use a control pad it keeps everyone on a level playing field 

0 Kudos

/16

Farscape247

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Farscape247
Accepted Solution
i can beat anybody who uses mouse and keyboard with my trusted dual shock 3 any day, played against people in unreal and they used mouse and keyboard, yes they can turn quicker but you get better control with a ds3

Play More Live More
/16

The_KELRaTH

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
The_KELRaTH
Accepted Solution
I'm really surprised Sony hasn't attempted to address this issue.

The answer may not be in adding full mouse, keyboard support but rather designing a new Dualshock style controller that replaces the right joystick with a trackball.

When I used to play in Unreal Tournament 99 competitions my mouse broke so I switched to a trackball and it's surprising how easily I adapted to it.

Not only would Sony make more sales from a new controller but also likely convert other console FPS gamers to switch consoles.

0 Kudos

/16

Cuthred

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cuthred
Accepted Solution

The_KELRaTH hat geschrieben:
I'm really surprised Sony hasn't attempted to address this issue.

The answer may not be in adding full mouse, keyboard support but rather designing a new Dualshock style controller that replaces the right joystick with a trackball.

When I used to play in Unreal Tournament 99 competitions my mouse broke so I switched to a trackball and it's surprising how easily I adapted to it.

Not only would Sony make more sales from a new controller but also likely convert other console FPS gamers to switch consoles.

I am not surprised as I seriously doubt that anybody at Sony is a serious gamer, so they would not notice anyway.

0 Kudos

Betreff: Re: Using USB mouse and keyboard to play PS3 games

/16

elander91

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
elander91
Accepted Solution
I am totaly serious that i will win over a mouse and keyboard!
0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

Roamcel

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Roamcel
Accepted Solution

elander91 ha scritto:
I am totaly serious that i will win over a mouse and keyboard!

Hahahaha silly, you don't know what you're writing about.

I reckon that

the best game ever, grand theft auto 4

allows awesome single player and multiplayer gameplay thanks the the

incredibly well developed and though out auto aiming system,

and that the game even works well when you play with AUA off...

but other games?

Killzone 2? Haze?

I'd play 10 times better than you. Simple as that.

I have indeed seen very good people use controllers, to incredible extents, but because of PHYSICAL, TECHNICAL limitations in the game pads, there is simply NO COMPARISON between what you can achieve and what I can achieve while playing.

With M+K:

- you will aim faster

- you will aim more accurately

- you will aim without ANNOYING inaccuracies natural for the game pad

- you will select items easily and without retouching movement and direction

all in all, even if you are not playing a violent game, the ability to mix the two technologies IS THE ABSOLUTE *****ING REASONABLE WAY TO DEVELOP GAMES.

Even more, if you are not a retarded game developer, you would patch them right now, to let them use M+K.

These very holidays, I ASKED friends and family that they DO NOT GIFT ME GAMES FOR PS3, and they DID NOT, because of this design idiocy of modern game developers.

So sony, wake the ***** up, and ask your game retailers to pretend hybrid control systems.

0 Kudos

/16

AfxBGD

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AfxBGD
Accepted Solution
M8 of mine bought the FragNstein and the Splitfish FragFX, Frag was the wireless version and FragFX was the corded V2 model. He tested both and came back with a verdict and that was the Frag was the better out of the 2, he also said he played KZ2 a lot better as well. After some serious playtime he then came back and said that for the massive price tag of the controllers they were not worth the money and did little to improve his skills. Oh and btw i second that m+k/b option that mixindave mentioned, i think the reason it never came to the 360 was MS way of not totally killing off it's PC gaming community for good, but with Sony they really should look at the option of integrating it into more games ie Killzone 2 (not COD etc as that's down to the developer to implement it in in the first place).
0 Kudos

/16

The_KELRaTH

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
The_KELRaTH
Accepted Solution

Farscape247 wrote:
i can beat anybody who uses mouse and keyboard with my trusted dual shock 3 any day, played against people in unreal and they used mouse and keyboard, yes they can turn quicker but you get better control with a ds3

I know your referring to UT3 as it's 1)emulating mouse control via analogue driver so very sluggish 2) UT3 was designed to work with gamepads and is a lot slower even than the PC version and with much less movement options.

If you played UT99 or even UT2004 you wouldn't even get one frag as you need lightning fast reactions - it's called twitching
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

DeathroW22

• Beta Tester
91%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DeathroW22
Accepted Solution

Farscape247 wrote:

Hook up a pad to your PC and play a real PC shooter, you won't get a hit in.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

T-e-X

• Award Winner
95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
T-e-X
Accepted Solution

get the XIM for the ps3... win/win

0 Kudos

/16

jag10

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jag10
Accepted Solution

if you want to use keyboard and mouse stick to P.C gaming, i hate people who play on a console thinking they're awesome but they're using a mouse lol.

0 Kudos

/16

Simy

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Simy
Accepted Solution
I hate people who tell me to stick to pc gaming when all i want is to use M & K on my console, all we are asking is, devs give people a choice please. Pads are useless for FPS , fantastic for most other things, Simples.
0 Kudos

/16

Father_Ted__

45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Father_Ted__
Accepted Solution

Simy wrote:
I hate people who tell me to stick to pc gaming when all i want is to use M & K on my console, all we are asking is, devs give people a choice please. Pads are useless for FPS , fantastic for most other things, Simples.

How can the developers give you a choice when it would create such imbalance? This is like saying "please give me the choice between a Nissan GTR and an F1 car" to enter a race where everyone else is driving a Nissan GTR!

I don't disagree that aiming with a mouse is faster than with dual analogue (although after a while its not that difficult to be very fast with dual analogue) but that doesn't mean its more fun or better for games. I have played many PC FPS's and Console FPS's, and I much prefer playing them on consoles, I find it much more immersive and enjoyable with a pad, and with the added benefit of sitting on my sofa, rather than at a desk. I also find than using a pad is requires more skill than pointing and clicking and find it more rewarding because of this.

The whole point of consoles is that you buy one package, everyone has the same system and is on the same level in terms of hardware so supposedly the only difference is player skill. If dev's introduce full M+K support, then those players who use them may have a big advantage, meaning that to keep up with even mediocre players that are using M+K, other people may have to use them too, of which many do not want to because its a different (and in some people's opinion, including mine) less fun experience.

Pads are not useless for FPS games, you can't just state something like this. They have been working fine for at least 12 years? As I have said before I love playing FPS with a pad, and I loved playing MGS with one, it just wouldn't be the same using a M+K.

If you play on a console then you should use that console's controller.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

AfxBGD

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AfxBGD
Accepted Solution

Father_Ted__ wrote:

Simy wrote:

How can the developers give you a choice when it would create such imbalance? This is like saying "please give me the choice between a Nissan GTR and an F1 car" to enter a race where everyone else is driving a Nissan GTR!

I don't disagree that aiming with a mouse is faster than with dual analogue (although after a while its not that difficult to be very fast with dual analogue) but that doesn't mean its more fun or better for games. I have played many PC FPS's and Console FPS's, and I much prefer playing them on consoles, I find it much more immersive and enjoyable with a pad, and with the added benefit of sitting on my sofa, rather than at a desk. I also find than using a pad is requires more skill than pointing and clicking and find it more rewarding because of this.

The whole point of consoles is that you buy one package, everyone has the same system and is on the same level in terms of hardware so supposedly the only difference is player skill. If dev's introduce full M+K support, then those players who use them may have a big advantage, meaning that to keep up with even mediocre players that are using M+K, other people may have to use them too, of which many do not want to because its a different (and in some people's opinion, including mine) less fun experience.

Pads are not useless for FPS games, you can't just state something like this. They have been working fine for at least 12 years? As I have said before I love playing FPS with a pad, and I loved playing MGS with one, it just wouldn't be the same using a M+K.

If you play on a console then you should use that console's controller.

So you obviously never played Quake 3 on the Dreamcast with Mouse+K/B support which was nearly 10 yrs ago? See what your failing to understand is that the consoles are the main reason why PC gaming is dying out, people need to look into other avenues to maintain their staple diet of online FPS and the console seems to be the only way of doing that because the developers are lazily putting the PC gaming community on the back burner.

I'm not saying that all console developers should implement such a feature immediately but i can see it happening with the next gen of consoles looming on the horizon (just 'maybe' on that one!).

0 Kudos

/16

Vire71

29%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Vire71
Accepted Solution

I realize this is a big bump, but this is a relevant article, and the debate really hasn't ended. AFAIK they still haven't changed anything.

But for those who think they can beat a PC gamer using their console controller, keep dreaming.

Here's an actual test done by Microsoft:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/07/were-pc-gamers-too-good-for-microsofts-cross-platform-gaming-proje...

I've seen this in action in friends who are quite good players, who decided to plug their console controller in to games like CSS to mess around. Every time, without fail, they were easily one of the worst players in the server. I know it's hard to look past your mountain of fanboy bias, but controllers are simply inferior in every way in regards to FPS games, just as using a joystick was an excercise in failure. 

0 Kudos

/16

Roamcel

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Roamcel
Accepted Solution

Vire71 ha scritto:

I realize this is a big bump, but this is a relevant article, and the debate really hasn't ended. AFAIK they still haven't changed anything.

But for those who think they can beat a PC gamer using their console controller, keep dreaming.

Here's an actual test done by Microsoft:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/07/were-pc-gamers-too-good-for-microsofts-cross-platform-gaming-proje...

I've seen this in action in friends who are quite good players, who decided to plug their console controller in to games like CSS to mess around. Every time, without fail, they were easily one of the worst players in the server. I know it's hard to look past your mountain of fanboy bias, but controllers are simply inferior in every way in regards to FPS games, just as using a joystick was an excercise in failure. 

Thanks for that. It's perfect for the issue at hand.

Let us consider the total ownage which would come from using keyboard and mouse in a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER for the PS3.

You know what you'd need?

To display a KEYB+MOUSE ICON in the player leaderboard, next to the name.

Today, theres a GAZILLION people using those annoying emulators that get you OWNED, yet you don't know it.

The question is, is sony OK with their fps players getting raped by people who use joypad emulation without their adversaries knowing, or is it time that they wake the ***** up and enable this once and for all, for EVERYBODY?

As a matter of fact, out of 10 games i purchased in the last year, NONE was for the PS3. ***** PS3 developers and their retardedness for not supporting keyb+mouse.

0 Kudos

/16

AfxBGD

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AfxBGD
Accepted Solution

T-e-X wrote:

Ahhh TeX i remember you mentioning this a while back, any news then? is it good? what's the deal etc?
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

T-e-X

• Award Winner
95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
T-e-X
Accepted Solution

AfxBGD wrote:

T-e-X wrote:

Ahhh TeX i remember you mentioning this a while back, any news then? is it good? what's the deal etc?

no news yet m8.. need some cash money... just 2weeks ago i got a ps3 slim and is back to gaming .. but as soon i got all the parts i will make a thread about it :) :P be sure..

0 Kudos

/16

AfxBGD

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AfxBGD
Accepted Solution

T-e-X wrote:

AfxBGD wrote:

T-e-X wrote:

no news yet m8.. need some cash money... just 2weeks ago i got a ps3 slim and is back to gaming .. but as soon i got all the parts i will make a thread about it :) :P be sure..

Cheers TeX ;)
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel