10 Rank
Progress

Video Standards Council to take over games age ratings

[ Edited ]
20 Replies 431 Views edited 11-05-2012
11 May 2012
By CrustyJockStrap

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18017385

Means it is illegal to sell games to under the age on the box.

Until July (the expected ruling) that age rating has only been a recommendation with no chance of jail.

Many would abide buy the ratings but it was not law to do so.

0 Kudos
LABELS:

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution
Yeah but kiddies will still get their parents to buy the game for them. Nothing changes
0 Kudos

Re: Video Standards Council to take over games age ratings

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Jacko_the_lad

• Beta Tester
99%
13 Rank
Progress
Jacko_the_lad
Accepted Solution

Kermit1970 wrote:
Yeah but kiddies will still get their parents to buy the game for them. Nothing changes

Exactly.

I can't see what they're trying to achieve with this.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

Jacko_the_lad wrote:

Exactly.

Liability

People are now more responsible for their actions.

silly question but I always thought that if a game was rated by the BBFC then it was a condition of sale but a pegi rating was simply guidance.

What am I missing in terms of this new change ?  The VGC are now rating according to PEGI standard sooooooo..... ?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

Mikal_Drey wrote:

Jacko_the_lad wrote:

Exactly.

Liability

People are now more responsible for their actions.

silly question but I always thought that if a game was rated by the BBFC then it was a condition of sale but a pegi rating was simply guidance.

What am I missing in terms of this new change ?  The VGC are now rating according to PEGI standard sooooooo..... ?

it is.

If goes through PEGI will be more than just a guidence as it will become the sole ratings system except in extreme cases's

Many parent's blame the unclear system of both PEGI and BBFC as they often gove different ratings.

PEGI come July should be the sole ratings making it easyer to understand and becomes law (if all goes right)

But still un educated parents will still buy their 8 years olds the COD games :(

It is a start but more needs to be done.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

gazberotten

98%
03 Rank
Progress
gazberotten
Accepted Solution

What about Xbox Live,PSN and Pc online gaming. There are kids playing these games under the legal age so that should be getting tackled as well its only fair.

Also there are no penaltys given if a kid is found playing a game they are to young to play. Permanant bannings would be a good start or even a console ban if a kid is caught playing a game online  under the legal age limit. If the Video Standards Council take over games ratings thats the only way they can prevent these kids playing games online that they are not of legal age to even play.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
PlayStation 4 Thread Worth Reading check out

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3/1574671-playstation-4-a.html

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

gazberotten wrote:

What about Xbox Live,PSN and Pc online gaming. There are kids playing these games under the legal age so that should be getting tackled as well its only fair.

XBL and PSN have parental controls

Down to the parent again to do this.

How can you tackle kids online if the parents don't care?

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

gazberotten wrote:

Also there are no penaltys given if a kid is found playing a game they are to young to play. Permanant bannings would be a good start or even a console ban if a kid is caught playing a game online  under the legal age limit. If the Video Standards Council take over games ratings thats the only way they can prevent these kids playing games online that they are not of legal age to even play.

Quotining your edit

How can they prove that the kid is to young if they have set up a fales ID with a false age ect to play these games, or if they play on their older brothers/sister/dads/mothers/ect ect account.

They still have to prove that the person is under age.

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

aaronsimo

90%
04 Rank
Progress
aaronsimo
Accepted Solution

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

Until July (the expected ruling) that age rating has only been a recommendation with no chance of jail.

there may have been no chance of jail for selling a game that was under the 16/18 ratings but there has always been a chance of losing your job and a £5k fine. So there is not much change for anyone selling games, up until now its been the 16 and 18 ratings that have had the most force.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

aaronsimo wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

there may have been no chance of jail for selling a game that was under the 16/18 ratings but there has always been a chance of losing your job and a £5k fine. So there is not much change for anyone selling games, up until now its been the 16 and 18 ratings that have had the most force.

They could not fine you for selling a game to under age people if it was a PEGI only rated game as it was is not law. If you were sacked you would have a great chance of suing for unfair dismisal.

Their was a case a few  years ago where that happend due to it not being law and higlighted the problem. Though most retailers said they would stick to the Guidline though by law they did not have too.

The only time you were risking any fine was when selling a BBFC rated game to the under aged

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution
thanks Crusty

Still confused though (BBC reporting fail as per usual..)

PEGI will soon become law and ENFORCED
VSC will rate the games and label the games accordingly - so where does that leave PEGI ?
VSC will rate the games but use the PEGI labeling - then why is PEGI becoming law because VSC rating would then become a moot point
Games will still be rated by pegi and VSC ?

It seems odd that all games must have a pegi rating but the ratings are already overseen by VSC now the VSC are doing the ratings but pegi will still be the ratings standard....

I'm probably over complicating things in my head :/ anyone got the idiots guide version with the join the dots approach and funky diagrams.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Warren_Jeeves

• Award Winner
98%
15 Rank
Progress
Warren_Jeeves
Accepted Solution
I already thought the ratings were enforced in the UK when it came to purchasing a game, just like booze.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

lsd1968

93%
05 Rank
Progress
lsd1968
Accepted Solution

Not going to work:mansurprised:who cares, parents,older relations, friends etc will still be queing up in game shops,offy,s,tobacconists for age restricted stuff like games,*****s,booze like has always happened and probably always will:manlol:

0 Kudos

Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime and so departing leave behind us footprints in the sands of time.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

Mikal_Drey wrote:
thanks Crusty

Still confused though (BBC reporting fail as per usual..)

PEGI will soon become law and ENFORCED
VSC will rate the games and label the games accordingly - so where does that leave PEGI ?
VSC will rate the games but use the PEGI labeling - then why is PEGI becoming law because VSC rating would then become a moot point
Games will still be rated by pegi and VSC ?

It seems odd that all games must have a pegi rating but the ratings are already overseen by VSC now the VSC are doing the ratings but pegi will still be the ratings standard....

I'm probably over complicating things in my head :/ anyone got the idiots guide version with the join the dots approach and funky diagrams.

It sure does seem to complicate things when you look at it like that lol.

PEGI for all games

VSC for extremely violent games  (take that how you will)

Warren_Jeeves wrote:
I already thought the ratings were enforced in the UK when it came to purchasing a game, just like booze.

It is done on a voluntary basis by most UK retailers to abide by PEGI ratings as it is not law yet. Some ignore it as it has no legal standing in the UK due to a government mess up years ago.
0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

GraphiteGB

• Beta Tester
96%
05 Rank
Progress
GraphiteGB
Accepted Solution

Its even more complicated than that.

BBFC is not going any where. Instead from what I read VSC will divert the Games that may need it back to BBFC for a rating again.

They realy are not going to make it easy for those high st shops, looks like they want to rake in some money from fines like those Sting operations for Booze and sigs did. 

Those shop owners were stupid "Junior" school uniforms and they still sold to them, not even High school uniforms.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester.

I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube
Free Plex app for PS4 AND PS3 out now...

Black screen on PC remote play showing up as windows GPU driver miss match, visit Intell, AMD, Nvidia to change your driver, downgrade of GPU driver may be required.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

I'm too, confused by the new rating system.

I thought the BBFC had clout when it comes to games and video releases already and I also thought PEGI looked like an advisory rating due to it's amateur looking logos.  PEGI needs a logo change to it's symbols; cos' with them looking the way they do; with their artsy descriptions and O.K. colours of greens yellows and oranges. Warning labels should be in red, bold and straight to the point.

0 Kudos

To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

I'm too, confused by the new rating system.

I thought the BBFC had clout when it comes to games and video releases already and I also thought PEGI looked like an advisory rating due to it's amateur looking logos.  PEGI needs a logo change to it's symbols; cos' with them looking the way they do; with their artsy descriptions and O.K. colours of greens yellows and oranges. Warning labels should be in red, bold and straight to the point.

The BBFC do have clout and thats my earlier point (and warrens) BBFC age related games are currently restricted PEGI is not.

from what I can understand the VSC are/will be rating ALL content and not just the extreme cases and when PEGI is law ALL games must be sold under stricter conditions and the PEGI rating must be adhered to. in effect even a 12 rated game (PEGI has 3, 7, 12, 16, 18) will have a selling reestriction. 

as to your second point Age labels are colloured accordingly and even the BBFC icons differ greatly also in shape :) the black and whie PEGI icons are Content Advisory so have no real need to be big, red warning icons.

I actually like the PEGI system as it gives a visual indication of the content and the reason why an 18 game is such. the BBFC will often rate a title purely based on the subject matter and said title has no naughty words or naughty images etc.

What is needed is to have one set standard. (The VSC is adopting the PEGI standard) and one set of labeling (PEGI)  with PEGI becoming law everone has Liability :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Warren_Jeeves

• Award Winner
98%
15 Rank
Progress
Warren_Jeeves
Accepted Solution

CrustyJockStrap wrote: 

Warren_Jeeves wrote:

It is done on a voluntary basis by most UK retailers to abide by PEGI ratings as it is not law yet. Some ignore it as it has no legal standing in the UK due to a government mess up years ago.

I see, pretty much like it is in America then, I was only reading about that last week here somewhere, seems strange to have ratings like that only just to let kids buy them anyway, but like I say I thought it was the law here.

Although I let my kids play what in my own opinion is OK for them I still don't think kids should be able to walk into a shop and buy what they want as some parents are different to me or don't know the content of games, weird that this isn't already the law like it is with films.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

Warren_Jeeves wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote: 

Warren_Jeeves wrote:

I see, pretty much like it is in America then, I was only reading about that last week here somewhere, seems strange to have ratings like that only just to let kids buy them anyway, but like I say I thought it was the law here.

Although I let my kids play what in my own opinion is OK for them I still don't think kids should be able to walk into a shop and buy what they want as some parents are different to me or don't know the content of games, weird that this isn't already the law like it is with films.

I am the same with my kids.

Some games i know they are fine to play

If I am not sure I play them myself first.

Other i don't let them play

It's knowing your child and what's in the game. SOme kids are fine some are not.

But when a parent does not have a clue that's when the problems starts.

The PEGI system is great not perfect but great.

Icons are clear age ratings are clear.

They may look like childish icons but they are simple enough for the ignorant parent to understand.

But also with this law change parents and other people who do not understand need to be educated and I think shops should do that with the right funding.

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
96%
13 Rank
Progress
mont348
Accepted Solution

I reckon it must be time for a Simon Bates age related content warning. Have it so it follows the epilepsy warning in the next update millions will love that feature. 

Who remembers this in the video cassette era. :D 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi6hiaSBSkI

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Warren_Jeeves

• Award Winner
98%
15 Rank
Progress
Warren_Jeeves
Accepted Solution

At least in them days you could fast forward rubbish like that, when DVD's first came out it used to annoy me that you couldn't fast forward most of the crap they put at the beginning.

I do remember when I was a kid about 14, we got our first video recorder and then watched our first rented film on it, at the end me and my Dad took turns to hold the rewind button in as it said on the box to return the tape back at the beginning, hahaha, we didn't realise you could press "stop" and then "rewind".

We watched the whole movie again going backwards.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel