80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Virgin Super Hub and PS3...

25 Replies 4,003 Views Created 24-09-2011

Okay, just moved into a student house with 3 other people..and finally have our internet setup! Virgin 30mb fibre optic with a superhub router

On the laptop side of things, everything's running amazingly - good speeds and connection. My friends xbox works perfectly with Gears of war 3 and my other friends ps3 works fine as he has his connected with an ethernet cable (His room has the router)

Now as my TV is in the living room, I have to have the PS3 wireless, so first thing I try is a connection test...IP address fine, Internet Connection fine, PSN...Nope!

Can't sign in to PSN, and on the rare occasion when it does after a few minutes - I get corrosively slow speeds of less than 1mbps. I've tried changing all the DNS settings, IP address etc...Really annoying me and leads me to think I'll have to order a 20m long ethernet cable

So for anyone out there who can offer some constructive help for resolving this I'd greatly appreciate it. Please don't spam me with 'Go with wired' as I know full well it will be better, I'd just rather solve it with wireless

80GB PS3

Virgin Superhub

Channel 13

I tested the connection on my laptop and I get speeds of 30mb download and 3mb upload, so I know the PS3 is the problem and not the router or connection.

I just want to play some online Uncharted 2 :(

0 Kudos
LABELS:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.thezeitgeistmovement.com
www.thevenusproject.com
:Angel:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

Change you channal.

I have the superhub and that was the problem I had all I needed to do was change my channal as their was a couple of people round me using the same one.

Wired is better than wireless, use homeplugs if you can

0 Kudos

Re: Virgin Super Hub and PS3...

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16

Tinnyalla

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tinnyalla
Accepted Solution

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

Change you channal.

Does it matter which one? I read that channels 1, 6 and 11 are the most used channels...So should I pick one of them?? I'm not very experienced with wifi and routers etc. 

Seems like a lot of people have had the same problems I've had after checking other forums, but none have provided a solution that I've seen. Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos

www.thevenusproject.com
/16

sk_online

87%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sk_online
Accepted Solution

Maybe crappy wireless reception due to interference?....or thick walls?....try place the router (if possible) more centrally in the house.

OR

is it on a particular game?....could try port opening as some specific games require specific router ports...

Playstation Online Game Ports

Call of Duty 3:

UDP 3074
TCP 3074

MotorStorm

UDP 3659
UDP 3660

you could use http://whatsmyip.org/ports/ to test if the ports are open.

(this was adapted from another psn community post)

research the game your playing to see if ports need opening....otherwise wired may be the only way!

0 Kudos

/16

Jonesy-ov-s5

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Jonesy-ov-s5
Accepted Solution
i think the superhub is just pure bobbar.

we have 30mb virgin media fibre optic. my pc runs via ethernet, my dads laptops wifi, mums pc is wifi, brothers laptop is wifi. my ps3 is ethernet, my xbox 360 is ethernet and my brothers ps3 is wifi and they all run fine on wifi except my brothers ps3.

my brothers ps3 on wifi runs right slow and the download speed it shows is never over 10mb. but yet my ps3 on ethernet touches on average around 28mb.
0 Kudos

------------
now own a 12GB Super Slim with a 500GB HDD upgrade.
/16

deltaman-3

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
deltaman-3
Accepted Solution

homeplugs are probably your best bet.:Thumbs:

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

TheMethod

• Award Winner
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheMethod
Accepted Solution
Homeplugs can suffer from intermittent glitches caused by mains interferrence, I've whitnessed it loads at client's homes - that said there's many that don't I geuss, I don't get called to many things to be shown how well they function! lol

The superhub is actually based on really, really decent hardware (the netgear one) - UN-fortunately, virgin have spunked up their own firmware all over it...sigh.

Fear not though, because as soon as they find some cheapo manufacturer that provides an all in one for less cost you won't have to deal with this, you'll have much much worse.

0 Kudos

/16

BrigadierA

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BrigadierA
Accepted Solution

I recently bought these when they were £30 off at Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9294271/Trail/searchtext%3EBELKIN+POWERLINE.htm

They were a great buy. My second PS3 in the bedroom upstairs was suffering chronic slow wireless speeds due to everything between it and the router. Plugged these in and I now have a perfect connection! Apparently you need to watch out for issues with surge protection power supplies as this can cause problems, but I've not had any issues with mine. :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s, 3 PSPs and a Vita all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?

www.HorrorDVD.co.uk
/16

deltaman-3

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
deltaman-3
Accepted Solution

TheMethod wrote:
Homeplugs can suffer from intermittent glitches caused by mains interferrence, I've whitnessed it loads at client's homes - that said there's many that don't I geuss, I don't get called to many things to be shown how well they function! lol

The superhub is actually based on really, really decent hardware (the netgear one) - UN-fortunately, virgin have spunked up their own firmware all over it...sigh.

Fear not though, because as soon as they find some cheapo manufacturer that provides an all in one for less cost you won't have to deal with this, you'll have much much worse.

there was a firmware update for the super hub a few days ago. the new R30 update adds a modem mode.u can now disable the wireless from the super hub and use a different wireless modem....(something a bit better lol).:Thumbs:http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Super-Hub-R30-Firmware-Release-13-...

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

feitochan

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
feitochan
Accepted Solution

Don't bother with wireless on the (not so) super hub as there's hundreds of complaints about it.

Wait until the modem mode firmware update comes out and then get yourself a proper router.

0 Kudos

/16

deltaman-3

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
deltaman-3
Accepted Solution

feitochan wrote:

Don't bother with wireless on the (not so) super hub as there's hundreds of complaints about it.

Wait until the modem mode firmware update comes out and then get yourself a proper router.

dude the firmware is already out .go onto the advance settings and its on the left side right at the bottom.software version should now be V5.5.2R30

0 Kudos

/16

feitochan

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
feitochan
Accepted Solution

deltaman-3 wrote:

feitochan wrote:

dude the firmware is already out .go onto the advance settings and its on the left side right at the bottom.software version should now be V5.5.2R30

There's no use telling me that since I don't own the super hub (so I don't keep up to date on the updates to it)

0 Kudos

/16

Iwantmemum118

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Iwantmemum118
Accepted Solution

port forwarding, open all the correct ports and the problem should go away. I had same problem. The ports to to open are on the support section of the ps3 website somewhere.

0 Kudos

/16

Tinnyalla

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tinnyalla
Accepted Solution

Bringing this topic back up....I have now purchased an ethernet cable (20m) and have my ps3 in the living room connected to the virgin superhub (craphub).

But now the same thing is happening!! IP Address time out...PSN not connecting...Why?

Took me 11 days to receive the cable and now it's the same as wireless...if not worse?

My friends slim ps3 works fine ethernetted, I tried using his port and it still doesn't work for me. Is it my PS3 - it's always been fine before.  I turned off the router. plugged in the ethernet and let everything boot up "The attempt to obtain an IP address timed out"

So again..Any help would be very much appreciated before I hang myself with the 10m of slack ethernet cable left

0 Kudos

www.thevenusproject.com
/16

shankly1985

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shankly1985
Accepted Solution

You also need to enter primary DNS and secondary DNS not sure if all the same but mine is 192.168.8.100 and 2nd one is 192.168.4.100

Has others have said you better of buying a very good router and putting superhub into modem only mode that's what I have done and its great.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Case: Corsair Carbide 540/MB: Asus P8Z77 WS/CPU: i7 2600k/GPU: 2X MSI 290s Gaming/Cooling: Corsair H80i/Ram: Kingston HyperX 16GB/PSU: Superflower 1000w Plat / 2TB Seagate Sata3 HDD+250GB Samsung Evo/Audio: Asus Xonar D2X/Philips Fidelio x1
ROCCAT Ryos MK Glow Mechanical / Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Steam-shankly1985 - Psn-shankly1985
/16

shankly1985

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shankly1985
Accepted Solution

Look into your router page settings for them two DNS numbers, cant tell you where to look now because not using that router.

0 Kudos

Case: Corsair Carbide 540/MB: Asus P8Z77 WS/CPU: i7 2600k/GPU: 2X MSI 290s Gaming/Cooling: Corsair H80i/Ram: Kingston HyperX 16GB/PSU: Superflower 1000w Plat / 2TB Seagate Sata3 HDD+250GB Samsung Evo/Audio: Asus Xonar D2X/Philips Fidelio x1
/16

Tinnyalla

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tinnyalla
Accepted Solution

Sorry to keep bumping this post but I am really annoyed with this problem. And would like to get this fixed ASAP...haven't online gamed in over a month

I was thinking would an ethernet switch work?

Also, to the above guy....I've tried using DNS settings etc and nothing worked

0 Kudos

www.thevenusproject.com
/16

shankly1985

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shankly1985
Accepted Solution

You tried just doing auto setup? on ps3 what IP address you putting in? Use something like 192.168.0.100

Try resetting hub to default settings get a little pin and hold the reset button for couple seconds.

0 Kudos

/16

Tinnyalla

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tinnyalla
Accepted Solution

One more hopeful bump then i'll leave this thread to die

tl;dr - Ethernet cable + Virgin 30mb superhub = not working?

0 Kudos

www.thevenusproject.com
/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution
I'm guessing it's still not working?

I'm stumped at what could be causing this. Everything is set to AUTO on your PS3, yes? So choose wired and then auto for the rest of it?
0 Kudos

/16

S1M0N_AZAR1

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
S1M0N_AZAR1
Accepted Solution

I have a Super Hub and had wireless problems with my singstar mics as they were dropping out after 3 seconds.I switched my channel to channel 7 and everything worked excellently.

1. Open up your browser on your PC
  2. Enter 192.168.0.1 and log in to get into your hub settings
  3. Click on "Wireless Settings"
  4. Scroll down to "Wireless Band Settings" and make sure 2.4GHz is ticked because the PS3 does not have a 5ghz wireless card (or even an 802.11n network card, actually), so the only way it will work is when you set your router to 2.4GHz.
  5. Scroll down to "Wireless Channel Setting" and select channel 7, as this is usually the least used channel.
  6. Click "Save"
  7. Go back into "Wireless Settings"
  8. Scroll to the bottom to "Guest Networks" and select "Advanced Settings"
  9. Under "Setup" on the left hand side, click "Wireless Settings" and click on the "802.11 mode" drop down and select "300Mbps"
  10. Scroll down to the bottom and click "Apply"

If that doesn't work, can you answer the following:

1. How far away from the router is your PS3?
  2. Are the walls thick?

You need to see if the signal is strong enough to get to the PS3.
A good test is with a smart phone.

• Connect it to the network and walk to your room where the PS3 is. 
  • The wireless signal strength should decrease dramatically to zero bars if its too far away. 
  • If your mobile still says good connection, then distance isn't a problem.

You should also phone Virgin media to get it fixed.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel