Problem Solved

View Original Post
28 Dec 2011
By ross-c68

ross-c68

47%
02 Rank
Progress

What other cool stuff can I do with my PS3?

14 Replies 36,234 Views Created 28-12-2011
28 Dec 2011
By ross-c68

I just bought a 160GB PS3, solely to play F1 2011, which I also purchased.

Having connected it all up, I've discovered other things it can do. In particular, I was looking at buying some device that functioned as a DLNA client, and found that the PS3 can do it.

I'm a long time LoveFilm subscriber, and watched a lot of films on my computer with their "watch online". With LoveFilm converting to silverlight (spit) for their player, that was going to cut our Linux boxes out of the loop. But with the PS3 playing the films through the telly, we've gained at the swings what we lost at the roundabouts.

I'm looking foward to TV on Demand services. At present, we only have IPlayer through our settop box, so any other services available will be a bonus.

What else can it do? Can I listen to internet streaming radio on it? Hmm.... possible it seems if I can find an on-demand linux server which can present internet radio streams through a DLNA server.

Any other features or capabilities that I should check out? We already have enough DVD/Blu-Ray players.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RONNYNS

92%
06 Rank
Progress
RONNYNS
Accepted Solution
if your not going to play games on it, i guess you have reached your top of coolness, with what your doing now..
0 Kudos

Re: What other cool stuff can I do with my PS3?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My PS3 career don't end in November 2013... Trey for life!
----
>>REMEMBER TO GIVE KUDOS IF YOU LIKE>>> Thumb up!
----

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ross-c68

47%
02 Rank
Progress
ross-c68
Accepted Solution

I am definitely going to be playing F1 2011 on it. Possibly other games later on, but I prefer to do one game for a long time rather than switching back and forward.

There are other posts talking about 7.1 headsets etc. We don't have a surround setup for DVD/Blu-ray yet. Do these 7.1 headsets give a reasonable simulation of surround sound when listening to DVD/Blu-rays?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
McNeilio
Accepted Solution
the new sony set dont do 7.1 on films but if u have some spare cash id suggest a pair of turtle beach px5's
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ross-c68

47%
02 Rank
Progress
ross-c68
Accepted Solution

Thanks. The Turtle Beach bins look very generally useful, but they cost nearly as much as I paid for the PS3!

Something to think about for the future though. But, I was hoping for some more "freebies" :D

Edit: As far as gaming is concerned, I plan to buy Dirt Rally 3 sometime in the future. Oh, and are there any good mountain climbing based games?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Happy_Gilmore96

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Happy_Gilmore96
Accepted Solution

ross-c68 wrote:

Thanks. The Turtle Beach bins look very generally useful, but they cost nearly as much as I paid for the PS3!

Something to think about for the future though. But, I was hoping for some more "freebies" :D

Edit: As far as gaming is concerned, I plan to buy Dirt Rally 3 sometime in the future. Oh, and are there any good mountain climbing based games?

I don't know of any mounting climbing games but, SSX Deadly Decents is coming out in Febuary, it's a mountain snowboarding game.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ross-c68

47%
02 Rank
Progress
ross-c68
Accepted Solution

Mountain Snowboarding? Sounds very interesting. The screenshots I found on gamesradar.com look very impressive. Real mountains including the Himalayas AND the Antarctic?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
McNeilio
Accepted Solution
ssx is highly anticipated

i have it on pre order at shopto.net
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

hey hey 

have you explored the store and the other "apps" ?

Vidzone - FREE music videos

Mubi - International Independent film streaming

what about remote play with your psp ?

using the photo browser for someting sentimental to sit through with the missus for some ♥♥ points ?

what about making some home videos with the video editor ?

I use winamp as my media server but windows media player also works like a charm.  you could set up some playlists for a new years jamboree :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ross-c68

47%
02 Rank
Progress
ross-c68
Accepted Solution

Mikal_Drey wrote:

hey hey 

have you explored the store and the other "apps" ?

Vidzone - FREE music videos

Mubi - International Independent film streaming

what about remote play with your psp ?

using the photo browser for someting sentimental to sit through with the missus for some ♥♥ points ?

what about making some home videos with the video editor ?

I use winamp as my media server but windows media player also works like a charm.  you could set up some playlists for a new years jamboree :)

We've just managed to get DLNA all working, seemingly properly. We're using minidlna (http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/) as the DLNA source. On a Mac OSX computer, we can use VLC and XBMC as DLNA clients, same for Linux. But on Windows, only XBMC  The PS3 doesn't seem quite as flexible. It can't play some .mp4 files containing H264 and AAC audio. When the files start playing on the PS3, there's no sound. In one case, the PS3 recognised the sound after some while and started playing it. But, that's not usable. I'm playing a movie on LoveFilm at the moment, but after that will be checking MP3 files through DLNA on the PS3. Last time I looked on the PS3, the folders with MP3 files on them were empty on the PS3, while the other software finds them and can play them. I'll check to see if this is still the case with te PS3.

I'd seen the VidZone and the Mubi apps, but hadn't looked into them yet. I will do so, particularly Mubi.

For video editing, when I get back to work, I've got to do a lot of video editing in AVID DS. But, I'll have a look at the PS3 functions.

Are there any music composition/looping/drum machine softwares for the PS3?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PhoeniX-J-five

93%
08 Rank
Progress
PhoeniX-J-five
Accepted Solution

Not sure if this will fix your missing mp3 issue, but sometimes you can push triangle on the XMB while looking at the device/folder where the mp3's are stored.

it'll bring up a menu, and try selecting Show All, and it' could bring up the lot.

Again, not sure if it will work in your case but worth trying and remembering for the future

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

sasrob

80%
02 Rank
Progress
sasrob
Accepted Solution

PLAY TV is an DVR add-on unit for the ps3 and is a very good add on for any ps3. you can watch,record and replay live tv plus with the latest update you can log in to chat tv. plus copy all the records to usb stick. I would recommend the BD remote so much easyer then using a joypad. iv had for over 2 years now and still very happy.

0 Kudos

FREE MMO AT GAMIGO ...pirate galaxy...levelR top games. pc only...

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ross-c68

47%
02 Rank
Progress
ross-c68
Accepted Solution

sasrob wrote:

PLAY TV is an DVR add-on unit for the ps3 and is a very good add on for any ps3. you can watch,record and replay live tv plus with the latest update you can log in to chat tv. plus copy all the records to usb stick. I would recommend the BD remote so much easyer then using a joypad. iv had for over 2 years now and still very happy.

Thank you. Initially I was very interested in this. But, then I found that the Play TV dongle doesn't do DVB-T2, so it won't work with HD broadcasts in the UK. If they release an updated version with DVB-T2 at a reasonable price, then that's something I'll definitely look into it. Edit: On the other hand, I'm off to ebay to see how cheaply the play tv box can be bought. Since we can't currently record live TV at all, if they're cheap enough second hand, given that they're a bit obselete-ish, then they might make a stopgate measure. Edit: They sell for about £40, so that's too much for a stopgap measure.

I'll also try the "show all" on the DLNA client interface to see if that shows the MP3 files. Edit: Oh, MP3s through DLNA now working for no reason that I can see, but I can see the tracks and play them.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Strangesam

98%
08 Rank
Progress
Strangesam
Accepted Solution

ross-c68 wrote:

What else can it do?

Play games on it? :Lol:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Jacko_the_lad

• Beta Tester
96%
14 Rank
Progress
Jacko_the_lad
Accepted Solution
If it overheats, you can use it as a barbecue.

Cooks a mean sausage.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel