maxi_glasgow

64%
02 Rank
Progress

Why does the PS3 download so slow?

233 Replies 38,402 Views Created 10-11-2008
10 Nov 2008
By maxi_glasgow

I am now getting sick and tired of how long it takes the PS3 to download trailers, game demos etc but most of all why it takes so long to download the System update.

On Friday I booted it up along with my 360 to see what there was to download, they are both connected via wireless and sit right next to each other so the exact same distance from my BT Home Hub.

The PS3 said it needed to download System update so I set it on it's way and moved onto the 360. I downloaded 5 game trailers each between 70MB and 230MB and then downloaded the demo for nuts and bolts which I think was just over 1GB.

When the nuts and bolts was the only thing left to download I moved back over to the PS3 and it was at 43%........*****???

I used my laptop, again over wireless and went onto the PS website to see how big the update file is, it was 137MB, I started to download from my laptop and it was downloading at 300k per second and estimated a few minutes.

So I ask why does the PS3 take so long to download what two other devices seem to sail thru?

Does anyone else encounter slow PS3 downloading?

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

XLOOX

82%
05 Rank
Progress
XLOOX
Accepted Solution
Ive never had a problem a 1giga byte demo takes 15-20mins.
0 Kudos

Re: Why does the PS3 download so slow?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

kahboombox

22%
02 Rank
Progress
kahboombox
Accepted Solution

mine is slow too! im doing a 1.7GB update at the moment.. it has been.. almost an hour and it's only 17%!

1-2GB in my xbox360 S in the same WiFi network always takes less than 20minutes! what is going on here?? why is it good for some people and bad for others?

It can NOT be my broadband speed because it IS quick to download in our laptops and quick to download in Xbox 360... the PS3 is the only device in my house that is taking SO LONG to download.

What ELSE could it be if it is NOT my wireless connection? It has to be with something *****ed up in .. ***** they should fix this problem for everybody. seems to me that 80-90% of people have this same problem

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

JIBSTER98

27%
02 Rank
Progress
JIBSTER98
Accepted Solution

Just downloaded Tomb Raider Underworld (6149 MB). Got original PS3 with card reading thing (got PS3 when it was out) and it took me 36 bloody hours. So instead of 1 GB every 15-20 mins, 1 GB every 6 hours!

Just imagine that. It's install was 15 mins...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

super_monty

90%
04 Rank
Progress
super_monty
Accepted Solution

no idea 360 downloads are really quick in comparison.

0 Kudos

deadleaves
60gb

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

baldry1991

97%
04 Rank
Progress
baldry1991
Accepted Solution

maxi_glasgow wrote:

I am now getting sick and tired of how long it takes the PS3 to download trailers, game demos etc but most of all why it takes so long to download the System update.

On Friday I booted it up along with my 360 to see what there was to download, they are both connected via wireless and sit right next to each other so the exact same distance from my BT Home Hub.

The PS3 said it needed to download System update so I set it on it's way and moved onto the 360. I downloaded 5 game trailers each between 70MB and 230MB and then downloaded the demo for nuts and bolts which I think was just over 1GB.

When the nuts and bolts was the only thing left to download I moved back over to the PS3 and it was at 43%........*****???

I used my laptop, again over wireless and went onto the PS website to see how big the update file is, it was 137MB, I started to download from my laptop and it was downloading at 300k per second and estimated a few minutes.

So I ask why does the PS3 take so long to download what two other devices seem to sail thru?

Does anyone else encounter slow PS3 downloading?

i found this with the latest update.... took ages so stopped it and sownloaded it on my PC took 10mins compared to 20 ish on 50%

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Roxas598

• Beta Tester
92%
06 Rank
Progress
Roxas598
Accepted Solution
afternoon all i've never had a problem downloading seems pretty fast here took mear mins to download latest update
0 Kudos

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

baldry1991

97%
04 Rank
Progress
baldry1991
Accepted Solution

Roxas598 wrote:
afternoon all i've never had a problem downloading seems pretty fast here took mear mins to download latest update

Hey

spose it depends on the Area really?

Off topic you get your Touch?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Roxas598

• Beta Tester
92%
06 Rank
Progress
Roxas598
Accepted Solution

baldry1991 wrote:

Roxas598 wrote:

Hey

nope i think its coming tomorrow but i'm workin the marra mornin :(

0 Kudos

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

baldry1991

97%
04 Rank
Progress
baldry1991
Accepted Solution

Roxas598 wrote:

baldry1991 wrote:

Roxas598 wrote:

Hey

nope i think its coming tomorrow but i'm workin the marra mornin :(

:Lol:
is it recorded?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Symonator

• Beta Tester
89%
09 Rank
Progress
Symonator
Accepted Solution
on wireless yur max 54mbps which is already made yur connection slower

Modem speeds are done by 2 things, modems and config files to that modem thats it!

I see on other sites people crying they are only getting 2 maybe 3 mb`s of speed, they dont tell you that they are on wireless and at max is 54mbps which it terms people here may understand is a MAX of 5mbs over wireless. Wireless B and G is still 54 unless you move up to N.

If You get a 10Mb connection... (10 Megabits)

Your download speed is in Bytes, Kilo Bytes and MegaBytes.

10 Megabits roughly equates to about 1.3MB per second (if at full speed)

So your max speed at wireless is about 5mb.,, so... its yur network/connection not the "ps3"
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
frodouk
Accepted Solution

Symonator wrote:
on wireless yur max 54mbps which is already made yur connection slower

Modem speeds are done by 2 things, modems and config files to that modem thats it!

I see on other sites people crying they are only getting 2 maybe 3 mb`s of speed, they dont tell you that they are on wireless and at max is 54mbps which it terms people here may understand is a MAX of 5mbs over wireless. Wireless B and G is still 54 unless you move up to N.

So your max speed at wireless is about 5mb.,, so... its yur network/connection not the "ps3"

What? Never read so much nonsense in all my days.

There is no internet speed available that will push 54Mbps to it's limits. If you don't know, don't answer. It's not his network, its the PSN and/or the ISP.

The wireless card in the PS3 is rubbish anyway, I suggest putting it on a wire. I've noticed speed increases on mine now, but Virgin are still the main cause in my opinion as they must traffic manage the ports the PSN uses. 

I've taken my PS3 to friends who don't use Virgin and the speeds have been as quick (if not quicker) than my 360 on my home connection.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Symonator

• Beta Tester
89%
09 Rank
Progress
Symonator
Accepted Solution
frodo u r becoming a pain.
i work in this dept, and let me tell you one thing, u read it wrong.
yur reply doesn't even relate to what i said lol!

He is using wireless so he loses half his speed already, 54mbps over wireless MAX.

So your max speed at wireless is about 5mb.,, so... its yur network/connection not the "ps3

and u call this nonsense? you my friend need to shut up or at least read the post before replying.
He can only get 5mb over that wireless connection

54mbps which it terms frodo may not understand is a MAX of 5mbs over wireless. Wireless B and G is still 54 unless you move up to N.
so if the guy is using 5mb to download on 3 different platforms hes not even guna get 1.3mb per second is he - bloody hell! get some education on how the net and wireless works.

There are two parts of your connection to the internet. The broadband connection and the wireless connection. The key thing to understand is that the speed of the broadband connection is usually the limiting factor. So having a faster wireless component to the router wont improve the speed of your connection to the internet. The commonest standard for wireless networking is 802.11g which is 54MB half duplex ( you cant send and receive at the same time) However as most broadband connections are much slower than this its not much of an issue unless you have lots of devices sharing the wireless connection and then the 54MB is shared amongst them. Also 54MB is available close to the router and the further away you are and the more walls the signal has to travel through which weaken the signal the lower the speed at which you can transmit or receive. Final couple of things most wireless routers come with wired port 100MB or sometimes 1000MB full duplex but remember that the speed of the broadband connection to the internet will most likely be the limiting factor, But as most wireless routers have wired connections as well you could use wired connection close to the router and wireless in other rooms to avoid the need to run cables. However, if you really must have higher than the 54MB Max available via wireless you could try Ethernet over power. This uses the power sockets and cabling in your house to provide up to 100MB. You simply plug in adators into power sockets in your house and then plug a network cable from the router to the adpator close to it and then in the room where you want the remote device plug in a network cable from the PC to the adaptor in the Power socket in that room. This avoids the need to run network cables through the house and give you more than the 54MB available with wireless

so if u have a standard router downloading 3 or 4 diff things n other people using it u r never EVER going to get the best speed. EVER!

stick that in ya pipe n smoke it sunny "mr bloody know it all"
"nonsense" lmao - u talk nonsense dude.
im trying to make him understand its not the ps3
IN THIS CASE HE IS SHARING THE CONNECTION, IM RIGHT YOUR WRONG GET IT?
Its all down to how the connection is set up and 80% of this section i salways about routers and wireless, don't u dare tell me i am wrong either, this is my job - jebus!
Message Edited by Symonator on 10-11-2008 08:00 PM
Message Edited by Symonator on 10-11-2008 08:10 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DaveyJam

93%
04 Rank
Progress
DaveyJam
Accepted Solution

Symonator wrote:
frodo u r becoming a pain.
i work in this dept, and let me tell you one thing, u read it wrong.
yur reply doesn't even relate to what i said lol!

He is using wireless so he loses half his speed already, 54mbps over wireless MAX.

So your max speed at wireless is about 5mb.,, so... its yur network/connection not the "ps3

and u call this nonsense? you my friend need to shut up or at least read the post before replying.
He can only get 5mb over that wireless connection

54mbps which it terms frodo may not understand is a MAX of 5mbs over wireless. Wireless B and G is still 54 unless you move up to N.
so if the guy is using 5mb to download on 3 different platforms hes not even guna get 1.3mb per second is he - bloody hell! get some education on how the net and wireless works.

There are two parts of your connection to the internet. The broadband connection and the wireless connection. The key thing to understand is that the speed of the broadband connection is usually the limiting factor. So having a faster wireless component to the router wont improve the speed of your connection to the internet. The commonest standard for wireless networking is 802.11g which is 54MB half duplex ( you cant send and receive at the same time) However as most broadband connections are much slower than this its not much of an issue unless you have lots of devices sharing the wireless connection and then the 54MB is shared amongst them. Also 54MB is available close to the router and the further away you are and the more walls the signal has to travel through which weaken the signal the lower the speed at which you can transmit or receive. Final couple of things most wireless routers come with wired port 100MB or sometimes 1000MB full duplex but remember that the speed of the broadband connection to the internet will most likely be the limiting factor, But as most wireless routers have wired connections as well you could use wired connection close to the router and wireless in other rooms to avoid the need to run cables. However, if you really must have higher than the 54MB Max available via wireless you could try Ethernet over power. This uses the power sockets and cabling in your house to provide up to 100MB. You simply plug in adators into power sockets in your house and then plug a network cable from the router to the adpator close to it and then in the room where you want the remote device plug in a network cable from the PC to the adaptor in the Power socket in that room. This avoids the need to run network cables through the house and give you more than the 54MB available with wireless

so if u have a standard router downloading 3 or 4 diff things n other people using ti u r never EVER going to get the best speed. EVER!

stick that in ya pipe n smoke it sunny "mr bloody know it all"
"nonsense" lmao - u talk nonsense dude.
im trying to make him understand its not the ps3.
Message Edited by Symonator on 10-11-2008 07:53 PM

i think frodo just got completely pwned there!
Message Edited by DaveyJam on 10-11-2008 07:54 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Follow DaveyJam on Twitter

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jbp101

84%
03 Rank
Progress
jbp101
Accepted Solution
My internet speed is 20Mbps and my router is 54Mbps.

54Mbps equals a theoretical max of 6.75MBps (note the capital B )

20Mbps equals a theoretical max of 2.5MBps (that capital B again)

So the slower part of my set up is my internet connection and not my wireless router.

PS. Symonator.

"54mbps which it terms frodo may not understand is a MAX of 5mbs over wireless. Wireless B and G is still 54 unless you move up to N.
so if the guy is using 5mb to download on 3 different platforms hes not even guna get 1.3mb per second is he - bloody hell! get some education on how the net and wireless works."

Made no sense whatsoever!

0 Kudos

Avoiding GAME/Gamestation.
Ripoff prices, poor value on trade ins and shoddy customer service.
Latest trade in comparison, Mario Kart Wii with Wheel:
GAME offered a measely £8
HMV offered a huge £25.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
frodouk
Accepted Solution

jbp101 wrote:

So the slower part of my set up is my internet connection and not my wireless router.

PS. Symonator.

"54mbps which it terms frodo may not understand is a MAX of 5mbs over wireless. Wireless B and G is still 54 unless you move up to N.
so if the guy is using 5mb to download on 3 different platforms hes not even guna get 1.3mb per second is he - bloody hell! get some education on how the net and wireless works."

Who doesn't understand? Me? I'm quite sure I do ;)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jbp101

84%
03 Rank
Progress
jbp101
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:

jbp101 wrote:

PS. Symonator.

Who doesn't understand? Me? I'm quite sure I do ;)

I was responding to Symonator and the part which mentions you is a quote from his previous post. It was his post that made no sense.
Message Edited by jbp101 on 11-11-2008 02:37 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Avoiding GAME/Gamestation.
Ripoff prices, poor value on trade ins and shoddy customer service.
Latest trade in comparison, Mario Kart Wii with Wheel:
GAME offered a measely £8
HMV offered a huge £25.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

whereismax123

84%
05 Rank
Progress
whereismax123
Accepted Solution

yer agreed . wireless is still alot faster than any current isp connection can offer . its not the problem . the whole megabits to bytes is correct . isp advertise thier services in bits while computers and most people read in bytes . the speed of your connection is then limited to to how far away from the telephone exhange you are and also the wiring in your house. my wireless is FASTER in my house if i plug the the router into the main incoming telephone socket . purely becuase im using adsl+2 with o2 (16meg) and the old cooper wires in my house for telephone  cannot support the higher frequencies that are needed for adsl2+. standard adsl (currently what bt runs and are taking their sweet arse time in upgrading) can support 8 meg . adsl2+ supports up to 20 meg by using higher frequncies to send data . bt wont be upgrading for some time (all though they will eventually)

hence why i moved to o2 . if you are stuggling with your speed . then i would say move provider . my 16 meg line with 02 costs me £10 a month. due to the fact im using a telephone extension socket through the cooper wiring in my house im getting max of 8.5 meg which is only half the speed i could get but it quick enough for me . from psn i get about 1 megabyte a second .

0 Kudos

Free Image Hosting

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

gorfuc

88%
03 Rank
Progress
gorfuc
Accepted Solution
It does'nt, mine downloads fast
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mastiffchild

60%
02 Rank
Progress
mastiffchild
Accepted Solution
Jeez! Loads depends on your ISP and what telephone lines you/your exchange has. I've got no choice whatsoever where I live so whoever I choose the max i can get(including the distance from the exchange)is about 6mb. PS3 in my house downloads twice as fast with ethernet as it did wirelessly but that's probably just 'cos it isn't sharing the wireless now.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

kevvyburgess

42%
02 Rank
Progress
kevvyburgess
Accepted Solution

Hi

I am having a little issue with downloading speeds.  I use a cable modem (i.e. not through the telephone line) and Virgin Media's 20meg service.  The cable modem plugs stright into my Belkin Mimo+ router.  This router sends the internet wirelessly to my PC upstairs.  My PS3 is next to the router, so the router is connected to the PS3 by a short ethernet cable.

I want to play pro evo online.  On my PC I used the pro evo speed test

http://www.konami.jp/we/network/2009/uk/pc/speedtest.html and I got 3 As implying I have an excellent connection.  Typing the same address into the web browser of the PS3 I get 3 Cs implying my connection is not good enough for online gaming.  I even tweaked the "pc" to "PS3" in the address and got the same result.

I have even tried plugging the cable modem straight into the PS3 (i.e. bypassing the router) but still I get a poor speed from the konami site.

Why is this, and does it explain the pro evo online lag and occasional problems I experience connecting to the pro evo servers?

I have even tried http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ on both the pc and the PS3 but surprisingly got similar results (i.e. download of around 12,000kbps (1.5MB/s).

So why would one site suggest the PS3 and pc are similar in terms of internest conenction, but another site imply they are very different?

I appreciate you reading this far and thank you in advance for any help (please avoid unhelpful "Konami are rubbish" responses!)
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel