64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Why does the PS3 download so slow?

233 Replies 38,312 Views Created 10-11-2008

I am now getting sick and tired of how long it takes the PS3 to download trailers, game demos etc but most of all why it takes so long to download the System update.

On Friday I booted it up along with my 360 to see what there was to download, they are both connected via wireless and sit right next to each other so the exact same distance from my BT Home Hub.

The PS3 said it needed to download System update so I set it on it's way and moved onto the 360. I downloaded 5 game trailers each between 70MB and 230MB and then downloaded the demo for nuts and bolts which I think was just over 1GB.

When the nuts and bolts was the only thing left to download I moved back over to the PS3 and it was at 43%........*****???

I used my laptop, again over wireless and went onto the PS website to see how big the update file is, it was 137MB, I started to download from my laptop and it was downloading at 300k per second and estimated a few minutes.

So I ask why does the PS3 take so long to download what two other devices seem to sail thru?

Does anyone else encounter slow PS3 downloading?

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

he was a troll on the OXB forum also.

PSN can't be that bad if i can download 17GB in under 90 minutes

He needs to get a life. Seriously.

PSN isn't bad. His choice of ISP and the configuration of his home network are to blame, if indeed he is getting the speeds he says. I suspect he gets perfectly normal speeds but likes to stir it up. How he hasn't been banned is beyond me.

True my 11 year old son has better forum manners than him.

0 Kudos

Re: Why does the PS3 download so slow?

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16

Gotoxy-90

83%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Gotoxy-90
Accepted Solution
Mine always downloads in 1MB/s ;)
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Roxas598

• Beta Tester
92%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Roxas598
Accepted Solution

baldry1991 wrote:

Roxas598 wrote:

baldry1991 wrote:

Roxas598 wrote:
afternoon all i've never had a problem downloading seems pretty fast here took mear mins to download latest update

Hey

spose it depends on the Area really?

Off topic you get your Touch?

nope i think its coming tomorrow but i'm workin the marra mornin :(

:Lol:
is it recorded?

i think it was being sent by 1st class special delivery

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

westarmy

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
westarmy
Accepted Solution
Anyway....
Don't do background download and also make sure you are signed out of PSN when downloading as the ps3 will have a had full....
PSN,Downloading,
Random things.....
0 Kudos

/16

Orophil

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Orophil
Accepted Solution

Powerline adaptors are probably the way to go if you want higher speeds from router to :PS3

While this thread is going, can anyone recommend a decent brand/model, as I've had a look at loads on the net. Anyone any experience of playing hd content over them?

You have towonder why Sony didn't stick a draft 802.11n adaptor on the new PS3 models

0 Kudos

/16

STEELER_FAN55

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
STEELER_FAN55
Accepted Solution

I am soooo tired of the slow n go downloading, then it cuts off  three to four times.AHHHHHHHHHHHH

0 Kudos

/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution

I download 2gb+ demos/games in under an hour no worries... If you're struggling with a certain patch or something for game like MW2 its because its played daily by millions of people all downloading from the same place. Just the same as multiple appliances split router speed in your home, I'd assume millions of people using a few patch-download servers would have a similar effect.

0 Kudos

/16

Da1ryLee

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Da1ryLee
Accepted Solution

Firmware 3.30 downloaded and installed in less than 5 minutes for me.

Sounds like the OP has internet problems.  Perhaps what his ISP claims is different to what he is getting, or there is traffic shaping going on.

0 Kudos

YAY! I finally worked out how to have a picture signature!
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
So far I've downloaded first play 1&2 (need to clear some space before doing 3 :Lol:) which are about 1Gb each.
The downloads took about 20minutes or so, which I was quite happy with on my 7.5meg d/l speed :)

But then I am using an ISP who focusses on being an ISP, not one who does ISP 'on the side' ;)
0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
existenz1
Accepted Solution

on my 8M Broadband the PS3 generally downloads at about 1Mbytes/second which is about right for that rate.

The firmware download rate I think is slower, I suspect Sony bandwidth limit their server for this beause of the sheer demand when they issue an update

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

JoeNut

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JoeNut
Accepted Solution
it's you, mines quicker than my laptop.
0 Kudos

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sig courtesy of ninjaowen
Beta Tester
/16

revolver20

• Beta Tester
92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
revolver20
Accepted Solution
I've found the problem with the ps3 is even if you start a download then on another console or pc you start up another download the ps3 always gets pushed to the back of the queue and gets the least amount of bandwith.
0 Kudos

/16

AF-Brewtality

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AF-Brewtality
Accepted Solution

maxi_glasgow wrote:

I am now getting sick and tired of how long it takes the PS3 to download trailers, game demos etc but most of all why it takes so long to download the System update.

On Friday I booted it up along with my 360 to see what there was to download, they are both connected via wireless and sit right next to each other so the exact same distance from my BT Home Hub.

The PS3 said it needed to download System update so I set it on it's way and moved onto the 360. I downloaded 5 game trailers each between 70MB and 230MB and then downloaded the demo for nuts and bolts which I think was just over 1GB.

When the nuts and bolts was the only thing left to download I moved back over to the PS3 and it was at 43%........*****???

I used my laptop, again over wireless and went onto the PS website to see how big the update file is, it was 137MB, I started to download from my laptop and it was downloading at 300k per second and estimated a few minutes.

So I ask why does the PS3 take so long to download what two other devices seem to sail thru?

^^ Well no wonder it went slow, you're downloading two different things on two different platforms. Your internet bandwidth can't handle this many tasks, and if you are on Virgin Media then they would have capped your speed for downloading at peak times. I'm on 2Mb Virgin Media i got the update downloaded and installed in under 20 minutes.

PS3's don't download slow, if people researched how the internet, and wireless networks actually work, they'd realise posting sh*t like "PS3 is slow for downloads, ps3 sucks!" is a waste of time. 

0 Kudos

I was your Father's, Brother's, Nephew's, Cousin's former room-mate!
/16
25%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hack_the_planet8
Accepted Solution

People need to understand the cabibilities of the tech before they buy it ...

that is the problem with the internet today .. to many "mum and dad" users ....

it has me stuffed why people go out and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to buy technolgy that they have no fu**ing clue how to use.

... what did we used to say in the old days ?? .. if you dont know RTFM !

0 Kudos

/16

chrislyon08

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
chrislyon08
Accepted Solution
I have the new wireless N blsck home hub its a little faster on the PS3 than the orginal white one but not much. I dont undertsnad it as my PC is really fast on wireless. Anyway I got some homeplug things where you plug ethernet into your internal electric wiring and they work great.
0 Kudos

/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution

chrislyon08 wrote:
I have the new wireless N blsck home hub its a little faster on the PS3 than the orginal white one but not much. I dont undertsnad it as my PC is really fast on wireless. Anyway I got some homeplug things where you plug ethernet into your internal electric wiring and they work great.

N band wireless won't make the slightest bit of difference with the PS3. The wireless card isn't N band ready.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

DeathroW22

• Beta Tester
91%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DeathroW22
Accepted Solution
The last download for some reason was really slow, but i usually get really fast speeds with everything else - for example i got the r2 beta @ 2.2gb downloaded within 30 minutes.
0 Kudos

/16

allstar2k10

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
allstar2k10
Accepted Solution
its to slow for me so i dont even bother downloading anything
0 Kudos

/16

C-a-v-e-M-a-n

75%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
C-a-v-e-M-a-n
Accepted Solution

maxi_glasgow wrote:

There's you answer .. :P

Both BT and especially Home hub are c.r.a.p ... :( There is a plethora people having issue using BT Home hub / BT with gaming (not only PS3) as BT is throthling the connection in peak hours.

Message Edited by C-a-v-e-M-a-n on 10-11-2008 04:23 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Trade, manage & discuss your EoJ cards at www.eojmanager.com
/16

Comrade-Bozzey

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Comrade-Bozzey
Accepted Solution

yea ive had this 2 aswell ive got a netgear router hooked up wireless to the ps3 and L package for net with virginmedia.

its werid it would take me mins to download something large E.G a demo was 850mbs its was a rate of a mb a second  so 850 seconds not long at all.

but recently as its gone on and on its taken longer and i find files  over 800mbs take up to a hour to download.

i also find that the amount of people downloading a certian thing may affect its time .. modnation racers was gonna take nigh on 1 hour 30 to download i downloaded about 1200 took me a hour and then turned it off.

i came back 1am in the morning sparked the ps3 up and the remnaining 800 took less than 10 mins to download 800mbs... so it may be the traffic on PSN aswell that could affect downloading times.

0 Kudos

/16

lexluthor08

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lexluthor08
Accepted Solution
I just downloaded 2 movies. I started at like 7pm on 6/20/09 and here it is almost 3pm on 6/21/09 and it still has a couple of hours to go. Almost seems pointless to download anything
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel