By petrolheadzero

petrolheadzero

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Will the PS3 ever outsell Xbox360 in UK now?

[ Edited ]
128 Replies 2,087 Views edited 10-12-2008

It's looking more and more unlikely that even with the massive PS2 userbase that the PS3 will never outsell Xbox360 in the UK or the US now.

Irrespective of console capability comparisons, long term support comes from console sales numbers and not brand loyalty.

Is there any hope for Sony to be the dominant force in this gen now?

Oh, and Wii is obviously going to be the PS2 of the current gen. When the next gen comes around the lower selling consoles will be dropped by developers almost immediatelly, just like gamecube and xbox. What hope is there for PS3 then?

We'll all be seeing PS4 CGI demo's as a spoiler for the new Xbox while Microsoft just get on with it and get a new uber console out onto the market. Sony will have to have another console to be released within a year or so of the new Wii and Xbox and then when PS3 is just getting going it'll be dropped just like Sony dropped the PS2 in all but words.

Troubling times indeed for Sony.

They will look as precarious as Nintendo did after the relative failure of the Gamecube. And the Gamecube had some of the best games of the previous gen consoles on it. Quality of the hardware means nothing.

Not a noob. My old login decided not to work any more so I re registered.

Will the PS3 be the like the Gamecube of the last gen?
Some of the best games but dropped due to low sales.
It'll be a shame about the PS3 but at least Sony will have a chance to be more competitive with PS4. It's always easier to come from behind than to stay in the lead. As Nintendo.
Message Edited by petrolheadzero on 10-12-2008 08:34 PM
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

fizzyfunk

• Beta Tester
88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fizzyfunk
Accepted Solution

KALEEF wrote:

fizzyfunk wrote:

KALEEF wrote:

fizzyfunk wrote:

KALEEF wrote:

petrolheadzero wrote:

And the Gamecube had some of the best games of the previous gen consoles on it. Quality of the hardware means nothing.

That would go to the Dreamcast.... Some fantastic games....

Agree there, shame really because i'd love to see some of those games in this gen of consoles

Me too, although i still go on mine occasionally.....

i don't have mine anymore.. sadly :(

I sold my snes with 50 odd games once and felt awfull afterwards, so vowed never to sell any old consoles again.....(although i had to but it was only my Saturn,Jaguar and a few other rubbishish ones).

Why you not have yours anymore?

I gave my brothers it when i went off gaming for a while. They loved it but the younger brother chased the dog through the bedroom, dog ran through the pad wire and BOOM! I know they got more out of it than me but i kinda wish i'd kept hold of it. We had a Jaguar at one point too, that was cool for a bit but all those buttons made gaming quite a chore lol.
0 Kudos

Re: Will the PS3 ever outsell Xbox360 in UK now?

/16

KALEEF

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KALEEF
Accepted Solution

fizzyfunk wrote:

I gave my brothers it when i went off gaming for a while. They loved it but the younger brother chased the dog through the bedroom, dog ran through the pad wire and BOOM! I know they got more out of it than me but i kinda wish i'd kept hold of it. We had a Jaguar at one point too, that was cool for a bit but all those buttons made gaming quite a chore lol.

Sorry to here, but at least it got some love before it went, my son has mine now in his room where i play it from time to time. He looks after it quite well though for a 9 year old..... I've drilled it into him.

Yeah all them buttons on the Jag pad, most of the time they were not needed..... I only really played Alien vs Predator on mine though... Bloody brilliant game.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

fizzyfunk

• Beta Tester
88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fizzyfunk
Accepted Solution

KALEEF wrote:

fizzyfunk wrote:

Sorry to here, but at least it got some love before it went, my son has mine now in his room where i play it from time to time. He looks after it quite well though for a 9 year old..... I've drilled it into him.

Yeah all them buttons on the Jag pad, most of the time they were not needed..... I only really played Alien vs Predator on mine though... Bloody brilliant game.

lol well i remember getting them a ps2 when they came out and the look on their faces was priceless, they looked after that one!
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

ryansoft

• Beta Tester
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ryansoft
Accepted Solution
I really didn't care that the Gamecube didn't sell. The games were amazing.
0 Kudos

/16

paulmc

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
paulmc
Accepted Solution
i hate the word "Uber"
0 Kudos

/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
existenz1
Accepted Solution

x360 is selling for one reason, price

PS3 is nearly 20million sold ltd

360 is onlyt 26million despite being launched over a year earlier

PS3 has a tough job to outsell 360 unless they drop the price, however HDTV sales are important also because of blu-ray.

Next 12 months are key for Sony PS3

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

ShaDe-X

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ShaDe-X
Accepted Solution
The speed in which technology is enhancing clearly shows that this gen is nearing its end. Therefore, I feel it will be very difficult for the ps3 to out sell the 360. I also believe this will have a knock on affect on the next gen as well.
0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

sharkeye678

56%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sharkeye678
Accepted Solution
i think theres still a few years left for the current gen and ps3 will prob be 5 more years yet
0 Kudos

/16

pbd2uk

75%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pbd2uk
Accepted Solution

Halo 4 is bound to shift some new xbox consoles, along with the new cod which has dlc first on 360;. 

0 Kudos

/16

Whizzer-Hawk

77%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Whizzer-Hawk
Accepted Solution

In my opinion I think Nintendo is rudimentary and that's why people buy it. Much like all those Facebook games that a lot of people play; basic but functional. If they do decide to launch the PS4 before the new XBOX, I just hope that history doesn't repeat itself with all the hardware/technical problems the very first 360 had...

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
---

"Even after the darkest of nights, morning always comes."
/16

petrolheadzero

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
petrolheadzero
Accepted Solution
Sony don't need to innovate for the PS4, just evolve.

MOVE , updated and requiring less calibration PLEASE , cmon, am I the only one ***** with the eye toy and recalibrating every 5 minutes? plus, if an updated MOVE controller comes with every console, it'll be worth it, cmon Sony.

A PS4 will probably, almost definitely be cheaper to manufacture than the PS3, no more tailor made parts = cheaper to manufacture, that's why the 360 is cheaper.

Sony COULD strike first and lead the way, how good would it be to see this? For me, it's about time Sony went on the offensive, they've been on the back foot since Nov 2005 and never regained their ground and suffered globally as a result.
0 Kudos

/16

sharkeye678

56%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sharkeye678
Accepted Solution
anyway i cant see how the ps4 could improve on the ps3
0 Kudos

/16

petrolheadzero

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
petrolheadzero
Accepted Solution
Dooh!

About 4 x the amount of RAM for a start, then a more up to date gpu, a better CPU (cmon, we all know that the cell hampers development for many games badly, sometimes the PS3 is not developed for purely due to the cell processor and how awkward it is, YES, the likes of Naughty Dog have it mastered but for every single 'good' port we get 6 or 7 bad ones and this makes the PS3 look inferior to the 360).

The PS3 can be improved upon very easily.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

HUYI

• Beta Tester
82%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
HUYI
Accepted Solution

KALEEF wrote:

I sold my snes with 50 odd games once and felt awfull afterwards, so vowed never to sell any old consoles again.....(although i had to but it was only my Saturn,Jaguar and a few other rubbishish ones).

Why you not have yours anymore?

fool, at times like these you NEED consoles like snes and megadrive to give you entertainment, i still frequently play both my snes and megadrive.
0 Kudos

/16

st0rmbr1nger

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
st0rmbr1nger
Accepted Solution

petrolheadzero wrote:

It's looking more and more unlikely that even with the massive PS2 userbase that the PS3 will never outsell Xbox360 in the UK or the US now.

Irrespective of console capability comparisons, long term support comes from console sales numbers and not brand loyalty.

Oh, and Wii is obviously going to be the PS2 of the current gen. When the next gen comes around the lower selling consoles will be dropped by developers almost immediatelly, just like gamecube and xbox. What hope is there for PS3 then?

We'll all be seeing PS4 CGI demo's as a spoiler for the new Xbox while Microsoft just get on with it and get a new uber console out onto the market. Sony will have to have another console to be released within a year or so of the new Wii and Xbox and then when PS3 is just getting going it'll be dropped just like Sony dropped the PS2 in all but words.

They will look as precarious as Nintendo did after the relative failure of the Gamecube. And the Gamecube had some of the best games of the previous gen consoles on it. Quality of the hardware means nothing.

It'll be a shame about the PS3 but at least Sony will have a chance to be more competitive with PS4. It's always easier to come from behind than to stay in the lead. As Nintendo.

Here we go again, I remember those that make themselves look like idiots last time around...

http://www.forbes.com/2001/01/25/0125disaster.html
0 Kudos

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
/16

KALEEF

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KALEEF
Accepted Solution

st0rmbr1nger wrote:

Here we go again, I remember those that make themselves look like idiots last time around...

Talking of idiots.......

0 Kudos

/16

tooms109

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tooms109
Accepted Solution

st0rmbr1nger wrote:

petrolheadzero wrote:

I don't think he's an idiot at all.......He made some valid points.

We are not all blinded by one brand.

Message Edited by tooms109 on 10-12-2008 09:29 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
sig
/16

st0rmbr1nger

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
st0rmbr1nger
Accepted Solution

tooms109 wrote:

st0rmbr1nger wrote:

petrolheadzero wrote:

I don't think he's an idiot at all.......He made some valid points.

I didn't say he was a idiot, merely Forbes were idiots when they predicted the PS2 being dead back in 2001....Clearly this generation is far from over, infact it's only just begun. Both the 360 and the Wii have run out of stream... The PS3 is close to the 360 in sales, and just getting started. It's easy to see the PS3 reaching 200m consoles by the close of this generation.

Message Edited by st0rmbr1nger on 10-12-2008 09:31 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
/16

TehPotentialz

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TehPotentialz
Accepted Solution

st0rmbr1nger wrote:

Clearly this generation is far from over, infact it's only just begun. Both the 360 and the Wii have run out of stream... The PS3 is close to the 360 in sales, and just getting started. It's easy to see the PS3 reaching 200m consoles by the close of this generation.

aaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
'easy to see the PS3 reaching 200m consoles'?! its going to be VERY tough for them to even reach 100 million. hell, its probalby gonna be another 2 years before they even hit 50 million. this generation hasnt 'only just begun' :laugh:. it began 3 years ago with the launch of the 360, so its most likely around half over at the least.
if you think the wii and 360 are running out of steam, why are they selling more now than they ever have? the wii just shifted something like 800 000 units in a single month in the US! the month before that it sold over 680k too. the 360 sold 371k in november as oppposed to the ps3s meagre 190k. the US is the main videogame market, and in the US the 360 has not only maintained its lead since the PS3 was released, its been increasing it.
this holiday season belongs to the wii and the 360 - the PS3 is going to get absolutely demolished in sales, both software and hardware.  

Message Edited by TehPotentialz on 11-12-2008 01:46 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

aaronsimo

90%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
aaronsimo
Accepted Solution
*sigh* where would this forum be without good old TP to inform the mis-informed
0 Kudos

/16

TehPotentialz

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TehPotentialz
Accepted Solution
seriously though - how could anyone possibly say its 'easy to see' the PS3 hitting 200m consoles when not even the PS2 has sold anywhere near that many?! last i saw it was around the 140-150 million mark. how is a console that will NEVER be down at the price of the PS2 even going to remotely get close to its remarkable sales figures?
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel