80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Wireless Booster???

14 Replies 611 Views Created 03-04-2008
hi all, does anyone know whether there is a USB wifi booster you can buy so that you can detect weaker signals and still use them?
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution
Nope.. Sorry.
0 Kudos

Re: Wireless Booster???

/16

Buubar

86%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Buubar
Accepted Solution
You really shouldn't be trying to steel your neighbors internet, its not good for your health!
0 Kudos

/16

Oathius

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oathius
Accepted Solution
Na that would be cool though, I'd be able to move my consoles to the studio then rather than have to buy loads of gear to be able to use the ethernet ports lol
0 Kudos

/16

CharlieBananas

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CharlieBananas
Accepted Solution
hi all, does anyone know whether there is a USB wifi booster you can buy so that you can detect weaker signals and still use them?

Yeh I have the same problem, with my girlfriends PS3, mine is near the router but hers is in the upstairs study, the house we live in was once three houses and because it's old the walls are foot thick, end result she can't update the PS3.
0 Kudos

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PS3 / 60gb & a PS3 / 320gb HDD - Keyboard & Official Mic - Samsung HDTV 720p - 5.1 Surround sound

GAMES = EYEPET - UNCHARTED 2 - MUA 2 - BATMAN AA - FAT PRINCESS - PUNISHER - RED BARON - FFVII - inFAMOUS - ZEN PINBALL - RAGDOLL KUNG-FU - KILLZONE 2 - FLOWER - HV BOWLING - HIGH STAKES POKER - MOTORSTORM-PR - RESTISTANCE 2 - MK vs DCU - LBP - MOTORSTORM - RFOM - F1 - HEAVENLY SWORD - UNCHARTED - LAIR - WARHAWK - EVERYBODY'S GOLF - VIKING BATTLE FOR ASGARD - ASSASSIN'S CREED - GRAN TURISMO - RATCHET & CLANK - GTA 4 - CIVILISATION REVOLUTION - BUZZ - BURNOUT PARADISE - THE EYE OF JUDGEMENT - SOUL CALIBUR 4 - MGS4_____LBP level - Destination Hollow Earth - Give it a try! Most wanted = Uncharted 2
/16

Ew_Tux

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ew_Tux
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution
You need an access point or wireless bridge.
0 Kudos

/16

Oathius

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oathius
Accepted Solution
Yeh I have the same problem, with my girlfriends PS3, mine is near the router but hers is in the upstairs study, the house we live in was once three houses and because it's old the walls are foot thick, end result she can't update the PS3.

If all you want to do is update the PS3 buddy, just download the updates on a PC stick them on a memory pen and transfer it to your girlfriends PS3:gr8:
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Dopee

• Beta Tester
76%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dopee
Accepted Solution
Do a bit of DIY! Cut a Pringles tube so it's about the length of your wireless router's antennae. The split this in half so it is like a skate board half pipe. Try and secure this onto your antennae so the open half is facing in the direction of where the other PS3 is and hope that this actually worked!
0 Kudos

/16

Dyolf1987

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dyolf1987
Accepted Solution
You can but them (ebuyer.com may have some) but they cause lag The booster needs to recieve a signal, boost it, send it to the PS3, the PS3 then sends info back to the booster which then has to turn the signal back to the router and finally, off through the hole in your wall. Move closer to your router.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Wond

• Beta Tester
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wond
Accepted Solution
Maybe trya bit of DIY? :gr8: - Boost your signal with some tinfoil!

http://lifehacker.com/software/how-to/boost-your-wireless-signal-with-a-homemade-wifi-extender-29636...
0 Kudos

/16

CharlieBananas

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CharlieBananas
Accepted Solution
If all you want to do is update the PS3 buddy, just download the updates on a PC stick them on a memory pen and transfer it to your girlfriends PS3:gr8:

Yeh thats what we are doing now, but in truth she would like to go on-line and purchase stuff off the store aswell as play online.

Pringles tube...I did something like that with a coke can, but that didn't work.
0 Kudos

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PS3 / 60gb & a PS3 / 320gb HDD - Keyboard & Official Mic - Samsung HDTV 720p - 5.1 Surround sound

GAMES = EYEPET - UNCHARTED 2 - MUA 2 - BATMAN AA - FAT PRINCESS - PUNISHER - RED BARON - FFVII - inFAMOUS - ZEN PINBALL - RAGDOLL KUNG-FU - KILLZONE 2 - FLOWER - HV BOWLING - HIGH STAKES POKER - MOTORSTORM-PR - RESTISTANCE 2 - MK vs DCU - LBP - MOTORSTORM - RFOM - F1 - HEAVENLY SWORD - UNCHARTED - LAIR - WARHAWK - EVERYBODY'S GOLF - VIKING BATTLE FOR ASGARD - ASSASSIN'S CREED - GRAN TURISMO - RATCHET & CLANK - GTA 4 - CIVILISATION REVOLUTION - BUZZ - BURNOUT PARADISE - THE EYE OF JUDGEMENT - SOUL CALIBUR 4 - MGS4_____LBP level - Destination Hollow Earth - Give it a try! Most wanted = Uncharted 2
/16

Oathius

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oathius
Accepted Solution
Yeh thats what we are doing now, but in truth she would like to go on-line and purchase stuff off the store aswell as play online.

Pringles tube...I did something like that with a coke can, but that didn't work.

I know its abit annoying having to do it but what about when she wants to purchase stuff from the store she brings her ps3 down by the router connects to it and then download what she wants too. Only other suggestion is what we've done in my house. We have a 15m ethernet cable (actually might be 30 lol) anyway thats in the router, goes outside the house, up the house and into my bedroom, got my dad to drill holes through the house just so I could have a stable connection in my room :gr8:
0 Kudos

/16

Ew_Tux

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ew_Tux
Accepted Solution
the wireless extender that i posted earlier works perfect, i have it in my house and it uses the internal wiring of the house itself. There is no lag or loss of signal
0 Kudos

/16

Oathius

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oathius
Accepted Solution
the wireless extender that i posted earlier works perfect, i have it in my house and it uses the internal wiring of the house itself. There is no lag or loss of signal

oOoOo! i know what your on about, i'm buying that in a couple of weeks so I can set up the net in my studio, completely forgot about those lol good job enegron!
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel