01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Xbox 360 Frame Rate Problems

48 Replies 1,080 Views Created 17-07-2006
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The experience isn't uniformly bad, but frame rate problems pop up frequently enough that you'll wish Bethesda had taken more time to smooth out the kinks. We tried everything we could to improve the game's performance: even playing at standard resolution (480i on a regular, non-HD TV) offered no benefit. Overall, the performance just doesn't match what you'd expect out of a $400 console and a $60 game. It's unfortunate, but not ruinous.

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/reviews/52857.shtml

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Battle for Middle-earth II

The Bad: Frame rate struggles during big battles; graphics get a bit muddled on a standard-definition display.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/strategy/battleformiddleearth2/review.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomb Raider: Legend

the Xbox 360 version suffers from frame rate problems that ultimately make the game more frustrating to play. It's a shame, too, because the game looks spectacular in HD 720p and 1080i modes. But we'll take smooth, consistent framerates over graphical bells and whistles any day.

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/reviews/53250.shtml

Quake 4

A quick look up at the sky or at most of the game's wall and ground textures shows that the Xbox 360 version has significantly muddier textures. In addition, the frame rate is sort of a mess. Any time the action gets heated in a large or complex-looking area, the game starts to spin down to a surprisingly low frame rate, regardless of whether you're playing in HD resolution or on a regular TV. At some points, it gets so bad that the whole game starts to slow down, as well. You'll know when that's happening because the rate of fire on your weapons slows way, way down. Even when there's no action onscreen, just viewing the environments is enough to make the game run at a noticeably choppy rate. While there are still some cool-looking areas, the frame rate troubles drag down the entire experience.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/quake4/review.html

MotoGP '06

The big problem is the frame rate. All the MotoGP games on the Xbox ran at 60 frames per second or there abouts. Sure, there were a few moments of sluggishness, but nothing terrible. On the Xbox 360 it's not unreasonable to expect these problems to be ironed out, but in fact the opposite is true: the problems have become worse. Once again, the game attempts to run at 60 frames per second, but it falters far too often. A few fluctuations would have been fine, but it happens all the time, and on occasion can affect your riding. Wet races are a guaranteed slideshow, and while some courses suffer more than others, it's terribly disappointing.

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/xbox360/motogp_urt_2006/review.html

Need For Speed: Most Wanted

Unfortunately it does show the tell-tale signs of being a launch title and the frame rate isn't as smooth as it should be

http://www.deafgamers.com/06reviews/nfs_mostwanted_xbox360.htm

Prey

The Xbox 360 version looks great and usually maintains a smooth frame rate, though it bogs down in a couple of specific spots.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/prey/review.html?page=2&q=

Prey on the 360 to run at 30 fps

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/6/28/4468

After reading numerous reviews on various Xbox 360 games i have indeed come to the conclusion that there are alot of games out there with serious frame rate issues.

Also there are backwards compatability Issues with Xbox games in general,

"During the course of our testing, we encountered a few issues such as frame-rate drops, video tearing, and even Xbox Live connectivity issues." http://www.gamespot.com/features/6152686/index.html?msg_sort=1

It will be interesting to see the difference in comparison to PS3 games concerning frame rates and graphical bog downs. It appears the true advantage of the PS3 is yet to be revealed.

:gr8:
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Homobo

50%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Homobo
Accepted Solution
I'll be surprised if it's any better on the PS3, one because i don't think there is that much of a difference and two, the frame rate problems really aren't that bad for most games on the system. I don't know if this is a reason for it, but the fact the console is still so early in it's life, game developers are still learning the ins and outs of the system. Oblivion yes at times, but i doubt another console can keep it up any better. You need a monster PC to have it running smooth. Also i fail to see the purpose in this thread, everyone knows what's going to happen next.
0 Kudos

Re: Xbox 360 Frame Rate Problems

Award Winner
/16

Tomara

• Award Winner
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tomara
Accepted Solution
Most cases are probably the result of poor conversions, it's the kind of problem you see on all consoles. As for Prey, probably the areas with lots of (moving) objects? Also a problem you can find on any console. Yep, the Xbox 360 is more powerful, but with better graphics and developers who aren't fully comfortable with the hardware yet it's not an unlikely problem.

The PS2 has similar problems and I'm sure there will be some slowdown in PS3 games.
0 Kudos

/16
80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Triggerhappytel]
Accepted Solution
It's a shame that there are frame rate problems on those big games, when the 360 clearly has the muscle to iron these problems out. In most cases, it seems the developers have released the game before it was totally ready; a couple months' more optimisation would've probably been all they needed. I suppose this is understandable with PC ports, but I don't think MotoGP '06 has any excuses, since it was custom-built for the 360. Why didn't Climax just make it a solid 30- or 40-frames per second, and have a smoother frame rate?

Anyway, this problem is probably something that will go away as developers become more savvy with the hardware. Will we see the same thing on the PS3? My guess is probably yes, but we'll just have to wait & see...
0 Kudos

/16

[notapplicable]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[notapplicable]
Accepted Solution
Its funny how the ONLY ON XBOX 360 titles are NOT effected :rolleyes: they are PORTS and as such PORTS you lose half of the performance when porting. Xbox 360 only titles that I have played do not have problems with frame rates etc.
0 Kudos

/16

[spectrex]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[spectrex]
Accepted Solution
It's early days tbh. Developers haven't had time to familiarise themselves with the console, and haven't had anyone else make mistakes for them to learn from. It's the same with every new platform but the situation will get better over time.
0 Kudos

/16

[empy]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[empy]
Accepted Solution
Ill have you know tomb raider legends has no slow down. Ive completed it 100 percent and played the game through 3 times with no slowdown or crashed
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

tigertron

• Beta Tester
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tigertron
Accepted Solution
Ill have you know tomb raider legends has no slow down. Ive completed it 100 percent and played the game through 3 times with no slowdown or crashed
I guess its down to luck then.
0 Kudos

/16

[empy]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[empy]
Accepted Solution
Maybe they scratched their cds
0 Kudos

/16

[jmk777]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[jmk777]
Accepted Solution
Its funny how the ONLY ON XBOX 360 titles are NOT effected :rolleyes: they are PORTS and as such PORTS you lose half of the performance when porting.

Xbox 360 only titles that I have played do not have problems with frame rates etc.

The fact remains frame rate is a issue with a fair few games, i didnt know MotoGP '06 was a port?

:rolleyes:
0 Kudos

/16

[jmk777]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[jmk777]
Accepted Solution

Sorry there are alot of reviews on this game and the same thing is said about the Frame Rate not being the best....

You work it out
0 Kudos

/16

[empy]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[empy]
Accepted Solution
I dont need to I have played the game 3 times, a lot of sites just reviewed one version of the game such as the ps2 one and used the review for the other versions. Such as ign
0 Kudos

/16

FizZaL

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FizZaL
Accepted Solution

ive had slowdown on Tomb Raider, i too have finished it about twice & had slowdown during the Motorbike rides.

But that was it, not as much on TR as other games.
0 Kudos

/16

[empy]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[empy]
Accepted Solution
WOrks fine for me so im happy
0 Kudos

/16

[empy]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[empy]
Accepted Solution
Also most your reviews come form that gamepro site, seems they ps3 ass lickers like you.
0 Kudos

/16

[jmk777]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[jmk777]
Accepted Solution
Also most your reviews come form that gamepro site, seems they ps3 ass lickers like you.

Dude dont start with insults, your Tag is insulting to begin with and shouldnt be allowed on the PS3 official site as your clearly a hater.

;)
0 Kudos

/16

[notapplicable]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[notapplicable]
Accepted Solution
If the later games like gears of war, mass effect stutter i will be dissapointed however forza 2 a true next gen real racing sim will be 60fps so should have no issues.
0 Kudos

/16

[Lefty420]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Lefty420]
Accepted Solution
i have had no fram rate issues. some drops in oblivion but if u clear ur caches that issue is fixed immediatley. seems like a programming issue with bethesda. and moto gp i have had not one fram rate drop in that game prey no slow downs what so ever. love it lord of the rings i have no clue cuase i have 1000 guys foghting all these trolls and all i can think is i wish starcraft was this smooth seems like out of 100 games u find 4-5 quotes on framrate issues yet miss nall the other action packed games with little to no frfam rate issues. need for speed the bext game for the 360 hands down see no problems with it quake 4 looked great donlt know where that comes from tomb raider was never slow for me my Gamer Tag is Lefly420. almost 10,000 points. look it up u will see i have played these games and have had no major issues. only being oblivion that was fixed after i cleared the cache
0 Kudos

/16

[jmk777]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[jmk777]
Accepted Solution
i have had no fram rate issues. some drops in oblivion but if u clear ur caches that issue is fixed immediatley. seems like a programming issue with bethesda.

and moto gp i have had not one fram rate drop in that game

prey no slow downs what so ever. love it

lord of the rings i have no clue cuase i have 1000 guys foghting all these trolls and all i can think is i wish starcraft was this smooth

seems like out of 100 games u find 4-5 quotes on framrate issues yet miss nall the other action packed games with little to no frfam rate issues.

need for speed the bext game for the 360 hands down see no problems with it

quake 4 looked great donlt know where that comes from

tomb raider was never slow for me

my Gamer Tag is Lefly420. almost 10,000 points. look it up u will see i have played these games and have had no major issues. only being oblivion that was fixed after i cleared the cache

Wow says who? You are just rambling, ive based this thread on actual facts

Notice how i supplied links.... where r yours?

lol

:king:
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

stalker1982

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stalker1982
Accepted Solution
Wow says who? You are just rambling, ive based this thread on actual facts

Notice how i supplied links.... where r yours?

lol

:king:

yes but we al know you love the ps3 like mad so matter what anyones says your replky is gonna be wheres the proof hey for all you know dude the ps3 will be exactly the same even thought none of my games on my 360 have sowed down at all
0 Kudos

Raptr Forum Signature
/16

[Lefty420]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Lefty420]
Accepted Solution
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion The experience isn't uniformly bad, but frame rate problems pop up frequently enough that you'll wish Bethesda had taken more time to smooth out the kinks. We tried everything we could to improve the game's performance: even playing at standard resolution (480i on a regular, non-HD TV) offered no benefit. Overall, the performance just doesn't match what you'd expect out of a $400 console and a $60 game. It's unfortunate, but not ruinous. http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/reviews/52857.shtml ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Battle for Middle-earth II The Bad: Frame rate struggles during big battles; graphics get a bit muddled on a standard-definition display. http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/strategy/battleformiddleearth2/review.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tomb Raider: Legend the Xbox 360 version suffers from frame rate problems that ultimately make the game more frustrating to play. It's a shame, too, because the game looks spectacular in HD 720p and 1080i modes. But we'll take smooth, consistent framerates over graphical bells and whistles any day. http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/reviews/53250.shtml ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Quake 4 A quick look up at the sky or at most of the game's wall and ground textures shows that the Xbox 360 version has significantly muddier textures. In addition, the frame rate is sort of a mess. Any time the action gets heated in a large or complex-looking area, the game starts to spin down to a surprisingly low frame rate, regardless of whether you're playing in HD resolution or on a regular TV. At some points, it gets so bad that the whole game starts to slow down, as well. You'll know when that's happening because the rate of fire on your weapons slows way, way down. Even when there's no action onscreen, just viewing the environments is enough to make the game run at a noticeably choppy rate. While there are still some cool-looking areas, the frame rate troubles drag down the entire experience. http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/quake4/review.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ MotoGP '06 The big problem is the frame rate. All the MotoGP games on the Xbox ran at 60 frames per second or there abouts. Sure, there were a few moments of sluggishness, but nothing terrible. On the Xbox 360 it's not unreasonable to expect these problems to be ironed out, but in fact the opposite is true: the problems have become worse. Once again, the game attempts to run at 60 frames per second, but it falters far too often. A few fluctuations would have been fine, but it happens all the time, and on occasion can affect your riding. Wet races are a guaranteed slideshow, and while some courses suffer more than others, it's terribly disappointing. http://www.pro-g.co.uk/xbox360/motogp_urt_2006/review.html ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Need For Speed: Most Wanted Unfortunately it does show the tell-tale signs of being a launch title and the frame rate isn't as smooth as it should be http://www.deafgamers.com/06reviews/nfs_mostwanted_xbox360.htm ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Prey The Xbox 360 version looks great and usually maintains a smooth frame rate, though it bogs down in a couple of specific spots. http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/prey/review.html?page=2&q= Prey on the 360 to run at 30 fps http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/6/28/4468 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ After reading numerous reviews on various Xbox 360 games i have indeed come to the conclusion that there are alot of games out there with serious frame rate issues. Also there are backwards compatability Issues with Xbox games in general, "During the course of our testing, we encountered a few issues such as frame-rate drops, video tearing, and even Xbox Live connectivity issues." http://www.gamespot.com/features/6152686/index.html?msg_sort=1 It will be interesting to see the difference in comparison to PS3 games concerning frame rates and graphical bog downs. It appears the true advantage of the PS3 is yet to be revealed. :gr8: also he likes to cut and paste only what helps him so lets look at his quotes more clearly. first need for speed first he goes to a deaf game site to find a negative review classic lol/ her eis what they said What's not so good about the game? Like the PlayStation 2 version of the game, there are frame rate problems. This can make handling far more awkward than it should be when racing at high speeds and this is especially so with the Xbox 360 version as when your car's at top speed it feels much quicker than on the PlayStation 2 version. The game is also a real mixed bag for deaf gamers and this also takes something away from what is otherwise an entertaining experience. You'll also notice at the beginning of the Career mode, after you've been released by the police, that the AI is rather weak in the early events. The AI does improve as the game goes on but to begin with it just doesn't have anything to offer, which makes the early events a little uninspiring. How does it look? Here we come to the part where the Xbox 360 version stands head and shoulders above the current generation of consoles such as the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. The car models, textures and environments are all sharper and more detailed. You'll also notice much better motion blurring and rain effects in the Xbox 360 version. As we mentioned earlier though, the frame rate isn't as smooth as you would expect and this is a little disappointing. Still when playing the game in high definition it does look very good. It also makes you wonder how good the Xbox 360 games will look when developers have had enough time to get to grips with the system and have managed to make good use of the systems capabilities. now fopr battle for middle earth. first it mentions standard def. well 360 games are natively 720p so it donwscaled they look bad thats just the effect of downscaling. i rin a crt monitor at 1280X720p and the game looks fantastic. her eis what his lonk realy says. notice he left the pc parts out classic lol On a high-definition screen, the visuals are pretty much identical to the PC version, which was a good-looking game. In fact, the graphics actually benefit a bit from a cleaner look, since much of the interface clutter required for the PC version has been removed. The environments are certainly pretty, and you'll explore the lushness of the Shire, the frozen wastes of the Misty Mountains, and the gloomy depths of the Mirkwood. Each faction has a unique look and feel to it, and you really can appreciate the detail in some of the bigger units, such as the mountain giants or the Ents. The downside is that frame rate issues that cropped up in the PC version are here as well, so things slow down quite a bit during large battles. Meanwhile, the game is playable on a standard-definition television, though the visuals turn into a muddled mess. The tiny units on the screen are hard to distinguish from one another, and everything blends together unless you zoom in tight to the screen. The audio is still top-notch, though. Actor Hugo Weaving lends his voice to Elrond in the game, though you'll also hear Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee, and other familiar voices that were featured in the original Battle for Middle-earth, as well. And the music is appropriately epic, obviously inspired by the Academy Award-winning movie scores. so you cna see he is taking things of of context and totally making it seem like all these games run at 2 fps and suck lol. i ask you sir do u even own a 360. have u played any of these games? if not than how can u even make this thread? ur the worst kind of fanboy. the politiician kind lol
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel