/16

[MUNKEE]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[MUNKEE]
Accepted Solution
i posted this because:

Over the past few months we've told all of the enthusiast magazines and websites that we will TRY for 1080p. And indeed we did try. But when we began making our final discs we made the decision to release at 720p. Why? Native 1080p (versus 720p scaled to 1080p) uses much more VRAM than 720p. When we finished up a few of our bigger levels at the very end of the development process we realized that we would have had to steal VRAM from some of our characters and environments to run in native 1080p. Some of you who aren’t familiar with hardware in general may be asking “So didn’t you say you freed up more space?” Well yes, but VRAM and disc space are two completely separate things. VRAM/RAM is the 512Mb of dynamic memory allocated to game assets at runtime versus the 25Gb or so of permanent storage on a single-layer Blu-Ray.

some people were saying that ps3 already has limits on a launch title. but now they will know that the 360 has the same amount of ram as the ps3 only the ps3 ram is way better.
0 Kudos

Re: any memory limit of the PS3 is a memory limit of the 360

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Marius-

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Marius-
Accepted Solution
I know, great post, this needs to be brought up, especially since many developers state wrong facts regarding this.

The Gears of War developer said that they couldn't possibly do it on PS3 because of its 256mb of ram. This is wrong because the PS3 actually has 512mb of ram. Phil Harrison confirmed this in a recent interview where he said that the PS3 has specified ram.

The entire Xbox 360 is a general purpose console, so its easy to sum things up, but when you get down to the maths, the PS3 has identical, if not more of everything. Same ammount of ram in this case. So the reason the developers couldn't do Gears of war on the PS3, is because:
1. They're in bed with Microsoft
2. Microsoft has told them that the PS3 has only 256mb of ram, and if they dare to think otherwize, they can forget about them supporting their game.
3. The developers don't know **** about the PS3, which is highly likely because of the statement made by the developer.
0 Kudos

Sv: Re: any memory limit of the PS3 is a memory limit of the 360

Sony, you are turning into Sega. Start becoming agressive again and get a hold on Square Enix, Capcom, Epic etc again. I could not care less about your first party titles.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[MUNKEE]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[MUNKEE]
Accepted Solution
I know, great post, this needs to be brought up, especially since many developers state wrong facts regarding this.

The Gears of War developer said that they couldn't possibly do it on PS3 because of its 256mb of ram. This is wrong because the PS3 actually has 512mb of ram. Phil Harrison confirmed this in a recent interview where he said that the PS3 has specified ram.

The entire Xbox 360 is a general purpose console, so its easy to sum things up, but when you get down to the maths, the PS3 has identical, if not more of everything. Same ammount of ram in this case. So the reason the developers couldn't do Gears of war on the PS3, is because:
1. They're in bed with Microsoft
2. Microsoft has told them that the PS3 has only 256mb of ram, and if they dare to think otherwize, they can forget about them supporting their game.
3. The developers don't know **** about the PS3, which is highly likely because of the statement made by the developer.

yup, yup, yup

couldnt have said it better my self
0 Kudos

Re: Sv: Re: any memory limit of the PS3 is a memory limit of the 360

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[jasovanooo]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[jasovanooo]
Accepted Solution
but the ps3 does have 256mb of vram + 256mb of main ram... the split is down the middle.
on the 360 you "could" for example run 350 mb vram 162 main vice versa etc
as al of its 512 mb is gddr3 anyway.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[MUNKEE]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[MUNKEE]
Accepted Solution
but the ps3 does have 256mb of vram + 256mb of main ram... the split is down the middle.
on the 360 you "could" for example run 350 mb vram 162 main vice versa etc
as al of its 512 mb is gddr3 anyway.

the rsx can have access to all 512mb of XDR/GDDR3VRAM if it wants to. and 3.2GHz XDR beats da shit out of GDDR3 and is even miles ahead of GDDR4
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[-ADAM-]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[-ADAM-]
Accepted Solution
yeah the gpu could use all 512 for games. the only disadvantage of having some ram on the gpu is for stuff like the internet but 256 is well enough to run most of the stuff ul be usin on ps3.

btw does having the ram completely seperate from the gpu like it is on x0 slow it down at all
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RushBD

80%
02 Rank
Progress
RushBD
Accepted Solution
The Gears of War developer said that they couldn't possibly do it on PS3 because of its 256mb of ram. he really said that? what an idiotic nonsensible stupid he is.
0 Kudos

Yahoo ID: riast1234 | MSN ID: riast1234@hotmail.com

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who know binary system and those who don't!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[Weldomite]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[Weldomite]
Accepted Solution
PS3 memory is 512mb (256mb and 256mb) but then you are playing games GPU is taking second one to control meaning fysical memory in PS3 is 256mb.
Sony can show that total memory is 512mb (faster than xbox) but it's nice illusion because if all games use GPU not Cell alone.
Cell is endless power, but memory and not so good GPU are going to show when second gen games are coming.
It's the same reason resistance wasn't able to hit 1080p with 30fps or multiplayer with 60fps.
Game needs to be simply enough to be displayed 1080p in PS3 with this knowledge of optimizing hardware to games.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

tigertron

• Beta Tester
92%
02 Rank
Progress
tigertron
Accepted Solution
The PlayStation 3 has 256MBs of Rambus XDR memory and 256MBs of GDDR3 memory dedicated to graphics. Nvidia claims that the RSX can take advantage of the combined 512MBs of memory, since it is capable of writing directly to system memory. The increased graphics-memory bandwidth and storage space will let developers use high-resolution textures and enable antialiasing to provide detailed, jaggy-free graphics. The RSX's programmable shader capabilities greatly increase graphics efficiency and will let game developers use advanced effects such as subsurface scattering to simulate human skin.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

lordsynbios

• Beta Tester
89%
05 Rank
Progress
lordsynbios
Accepted Solution
all i know is that the ps3 has some really good looking games and that's good enough for me
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Marius-

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Marius-
Accepted Solution
It is also important that not only has the PS3 the same ammount of RAM - when you are counting MB's. BUT, the one 256 brick is clocked to 3.2 ghz which far outdoes the speed of the 360 ram. So half of the ram on PS3 is super super fast.
0 Kudos

Sv: Re: any memory limit of the PS3 is a memory limit of the 360

Sony, you are turning into Sega. Start becoming agressive again and get a hold on Square Enix, Capcom, Epic etc again. I could not care less about your first party titles.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[Arhal_Katarn]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[Arhal_Katarn]
Accepted Solution
Yea the gpu can use 512mb of ram.TBh does anyone really think the average console buyer really gives a damn.Most of the ppl i know who play games dont really care about this type of stuff.Its the games that matter.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[dubya1]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[dubya1]
Accepted Solution
a nice pat-on-the-back fanboy thread. since none of you are developers, and are only going on sonys ********, it surely makes this another crappy playstation forum thread.

i've seen all types of crap on the net about this subject. some sites say that the 360 has better ram, some say the ps3, the proof will be in the pudding, not sonys ****** that gets lapped up
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

steverulez

80%
01 Rank
Progress
steverulez
Accepted Solution
you people care about numbers way way too much....

who gives a **** at the end of the day?

and tbh, i see Mark Rein as a better source than Harrison for 3 reasons:

1) he's working on several next gen projects including at least unreal 2k7 for the ps3... he knows both hardware and apparently sony paid him quite a bit of mulah to not announce 360 version of Unreal 2k7 yet (and trust me it will happen)
2) he's criticized microsoft in the passed about the launch of the 360 compared to the PS3's and also vista
3) Phill Harrison is AN IDIOT! he's obviously biased towards the baby he created not exactly gonna sit there and go "yeh the ps3 ram sucks compared to the 360... but hey! WE HAVE BLU-RAY! *does strange dance*" im sure he wasn't entirely lying about the PS3s ram and last night listening to the new 1up yours podcast they said one of the biggest advantages they have of the 360 is the amount of ram it has... according to developers...

seriously, i appreciate these are official playstation boards and stuff, but the sooner you lot realize Kenny boy, Phill, Kaz make up some of the biggest amount of crap i've EVER heard the better.....

before you all go "360/wii fanboy" Peter Moore and Reggie need a slap as well.... PM's conferences are boring and Reggie just needs a slap because i just find him so narrow minded that its shocking....

at the end of the day who cares about number? if we cared that much then the wii wouldn't get a single pre-order..... as long as we the end consumers get a good product i really don't see the point in this debate....
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

hodgy100

88%
02 Rank
Progress
hodgy100
Accepted Solution
i'm a dev!!!!! i develop my own games using gamemaker www.gamemaker.nl i made these:p Jono Pong. http://www.box.net/public/1au3jko2or Jono Pacman. http://www.filelodge.com/files/room43/1240847/pacman%20%28jono%20eddition%29.zip i wonder if sony will put these on the playstation store for me??
0 Kudos

The Sonic 2 HD project Please help!!!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[Arhal_Katarn]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[Arhal_Katarn]
Accepted Solution
First of all most ppl dont even care about "numbers" most casual players will buy a ps3 anyway because of the games and the brand.TBH who the hell really cares about ut2007 its just a poxy pc fps loved by nerds.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

tigertron

• Beta Tester
92%
02 Rank
Progress
tigertron
Accepted Solution
It looks great, I might get it for the PS3. It really does make great use of the PS3 and Xbox 360's hardware.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[Arhal_Katarn]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[Arhal_Katarn]
Accepted Solution
Its really not my type of game, for all i care it can go to the 360.I really hate cheesy sci-fi fps games such as ut and halo.Its all just nerds wet dreams, oh look i am a man in shiny armour shooting aliens.Get a life nerds and play a decent game.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[empy]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[empy]
Accepted Solution
Its really not my type of game, for all i care it can go to the 360.I really hate cheesy sci-fi fps games such as ut and halo.Its all just nerds wet dreams, oh look i am a man in shiny armour shooting aliens.Get a life nerds and play a decent game.

So you dont like resistance fall of men, the only semi decent launch title?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

[Arhal_Katarn]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
[Arhal_Katarn]
Accepted Solution
Well its doing something more interesting then most fps games thats for sure.And by the euro launch motorstorm, heavenly sword and f1 will be out.And i would say that rr7 look more then half decent.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel