64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

does the ps3 slim overheat?

12 Replies 2,906 Views Created 01-11-2009
does the ps3 slim overheat? as there have been many issues about this so can someone who owns one tell me if it does or not as im going to buy one today:smileyhappy:
0 Kudos
LABELS:
d
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

iNocturnus

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
iNocturnus
Accepted Solution
Whilst there's no accounting for what may happen in the future, I own a 120GB 'Slim' and it does seem to run exceptionally cool.
0 Kudos

Re: does the ps3 slim overheat?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/16

DJRhys

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DJRhys
Accepted Solution
Mine's melted.
0 Kudos

PlayStation 3 60Gb [YLOD] 23/03/2007 - 19/10/2009 | 20/10/2009 - Present PlayStation 3 Slim 250Gb
PlayStation Vita 16Gb 09/06/2013 - Present | 29/11/2013 - Present PlayStation 4 with 1Tb SSHD
/16

Farscape247

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Farscape247
Accepted Solution
like i said the other day in your last post, there is nothing wrong with the slims, they get warm simple, they are not loud simple so stop fretting and just buy one already and find out for yourself
0 Kudos

Play More Live More
/16

gtaman7

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gtaman7
Accepted Solution
Sorry mate but like I said in yesterday's thread my slim is very loud and nobody can tell me otherwise, And it runs extremely warm in a very short period of time. I wouldn't worry about the heat though, it's a smaller console so it is normal for it to get warm.
0 Kudos

/16

Sherfy

53%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sherfy
Accepted Solution

If you have problems with it overheating try getting a Ps3 Cooling Fan to protect it.

0 Kudos

/16

deepershades

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
deepershades
Accepted Solution
From my own experience no it doesn't, it simply gets a little warm to the rear of the console where the power supply runs from left to right. Note that I'm running mine on a twistdock stand which causes it to lean vertically at a slight angle, although some of the original slims allegedly melted the rear wiring or caused the base to increase in temperature considerably. For what it's worth I've just opened mine up and cleaned the interior (it's a CECH-2103B model with the enhanced chipset, 250 GB) and whilst I felt I'd taken great care of the console the dust build up after one year was a lot worse than I'd expected. I did also change the thermal paste to arctic MX-4 which felt like I'd signed up to the bomb squad. The real negative was discovering I had a Nidec fan as opposed to a Delta one which I may change in a few months - if anyone has one of the XCM LED fans would they let me know how quiet they are? The only other point you may want to bear in mind is that the fans on the upcoming CECH-3000 models are apparently reducing from 120 mm to 80 mm, and many people seem to be quite cynical as to what effect this will have on the speed of the fan and the internal temperature generally. Buying a current 160GB or 320 GB may therefore be your better option, especially if some retailers drop the price to make way for the revised units - note that if the size of the hard drives remains unchanged a price drop is unlikely (unless it's an official one across the board) - your call entirely ....
0 Kudos

/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution
Of course it does. Sony designed all PS3 models to overheat. /sarcasm :Lol:

Seriously, no it doesn't. No PS3 console was designed to overheat. Some did, and this could be down to where the consumer had it running or down to a technical fault that occurred whilst it was being built.
0 Kudos

/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:

Seriously, no it doesn't. No PS3 console was designed to overheat. Some did, and this could be down to where the consumer had it running or down to a technical fault that occurred whilst it was being built.

If its a technical fault that occurred whilst it was being built then sony must replace the console even if it is out of warranty.

I agree with you, that its a possibility, but I think sony would dispute it.

0 Kudos

/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution

fenian wrote:

frodouk wrote:

If its a technical fault that occurred whilst it was being built then sony must replace the console even if it is out of warranty.

I agree with you, that its a possibility, but I think sony would dispute it.

Wrong. So wrong. Why should they swap it after 12 months is up? That's the warranty period. Unless you can prove it broke after that period due to a fault at build then you have no chance.

Think yourself lucky that you don't live in the US. They only get 6 months.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Skykid360

• Beta Tester
97%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Skykid360
Accepted Solution

^ Exactly, unless you can prove it is a Manufacturing fault inherrant in that particular system you have no chance really.

Also regarding the USB power issue mentioned earlier, it shouldn't matter if you have a Powered USB Hub, had to get one myself for my Slim. As it kept telling me i had too many USB things plugged in and Froze the System. The main gripe i have with the PS3 Slim and the reduction of USB's...now i have 13 or something available with the PS3, normal (non cooling - but it has a light) stand, and the Powered Hub :Lol:

0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

Sherfy wrote:

If you have problems with it overheating try getting a Ps3 Cooling Fan to protect it.

Never use a cooling fan as most take the power away from the PS3 and have known to caurse more damage than not having one.

Ps3 do not tend to over heat unless it is faulty which does not happen as offten as the old PHAT versions.

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Award Winner
/16

European_Gamer

• Award Winner
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
European_Gamer
Accepted Solution

It can overheat, but the case I've heard about the PS3 didn't die.

Link.

0 Kudos