By tryme20

tryme20

40%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

sold my ps3 and the guy said its not working - did a system restore before selling

24 Replies 742 Views Created 11-10-2011

hi guys i sold my ps3 (fat) on ebay and before i sold it i did a format hard drive and a system restore.

now the guy is saying it wont play games or cds or anything. i told him to create a new user but its still not working.

i read on the ps website that a system restore doesnt remove software neither does formatting.

has the software completely gone now and im f*cked?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
MVP
/16

steven_dutch

• MVP
85%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steven_dutch
Accepted Solution

Or he might try to scam you out of a PS3. Did you write down the serial nr.?

0 Kudos

Re: sold my ps3 and the guy said its not working - did a system restore before selling

/16

British_KILLA--

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
British_KILLA--
Accepted Solution

could be a scam check there feedback

0 Kudos

Re: sold my ps3 and the guy said its not working - did a system restore before selling

/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

Tell him to send the ps3 back to you & offer him a refund if he refuses to send it back he's trying to scam you.

0 Kudos

/16

Atomic_Napalm

78%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Atomic_Napalm
Accepted Solution

Muttykins wrote:

Tell him to send the ps3 back to you & offer him a refund if he refuses to send it back he's trying to scam you.

As long as you are following ebay rules you be ok. ebay rules and by sellers right that the seller does have a right to ask for faulty items be returned before any refund is considered, "minues handling and shipping charges" If the buyer refuses to ship what he bought from you and demands a refund then you have the right to refuse a refund. The buyer may imposed a report to ebay against you but take no notice or don't worry about it as it will end up being a waste of the buyers time in the end. Since the buyer has the problem with this purchase and is not following ebays rules himself by not sending the product he bought from you but still is demanding a refund, then yes the buyer is trying to scam you. Things such as these incidents has been done before, with buyers winning bids and asking the seller to go ahead and ship the item to such and such adress before any payment has been made only for the buyer to recieve the item and letting the seller down by not paying once and after having recieved the item. Such an incident has been on the news a few years back.

0 Kudos

/16

tryme20

40%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tryme20
Accepted Solution
he was more concerned that the ps3 was now working than trying to get any compo.

i was communicating well with him and i think he appreciated that
0 Kudos

/16

SickMick_UK

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SickMick_UK
Accepted Solution

if he looking to get this money back tell him that you will need to have the PS3 sent back to you first and that u have tested the console. That should get it playing games again..lol

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lfcrule1972
Accepted Solution
I really hope the OP wrote down the serial and that the warranty sticker was (and still is) intact if the buyer sends it back....
0 Kudos

/16

SpankyUK

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SpankyUK
Accepted Solution
Did you test it before you sent it out to the seller (after system restore)..?
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

TheMethod

• Award Winner
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheMethod
Accepted Solution
Yeah, let's get real clear on the scams here...

1) You offer for him to send it back and refund, he does, but it's not yours, he could even swap the motherboard. You get a YLOD he gets a new PS3 for free.
2) You offer partial or full refund and not bother taking it back...he's lying and gets PS3 for free.

What to do.

On return...

a) Check Serial Number Against Unit Sent

If the serial number is the same...

b) Check all screw heads around the unit for evidence of churning, including the HDD screw
c) Check the whole unit for evidence of opening

Sticky situation this, where (and be open minded) both parties could be innocent.

What's his feedback like?
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

TheMethod

• Award Winner
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheMethod
Accepted Solution
PS. You could get your serial number from your registered devices from the website I think...

Log in to Playstation.com with your id and password and look at my devices or whatever it's called.
0 Kudos

/16

FooFan73

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

Sounds like the buyer is trying to scam the seller. Course, it could be the other way round and he DID knowingly send a faulty PS3 to the buyer

If the TC (seller) is legit then I hope they had the sense to keep the PS3's serial number

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

tryme20

40%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tryme20
Accepted Solution

i didnt write down the god dam serial number :( im screwed this is total bs and unfair

0 Kudos

/16

tryme20

40%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tryme20
Accepted Solution

also his feedback is good no negative what so ever....

when doing a system restore does it remove the software to play games etc as i tested it and seemed fine but dont see what else could have gone wrong here

0 Kudos

/16

ocelot07

92%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ocelot07
Accepted Solution
maybe damaged via courier? Best you can do is tell him to send it back. Test it check all around the PS3 for any missing screws. If it don't work and looks fine I guess you got to give him his money back.
0 Kudos

/16

sk_online

87%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sk_online
Accepted Solution

I hope you dealt via PayPal. Explain to him that he would be at no loss and offer to cover shipping for him if the console is faulty. If he refuses its a scam and report it to PayPal/ebay first.

0 Kudos

/16

ChemicalBacon90

63%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ChemicalBacon90
Accepted Solution

The system restore utility doesn't remove the ability to play media - quite simply, it just restores the system to it's original state by wiping all of the content from the PS3, so that it's in the state it was when you first used it.

Also, when returning items on eBay, it's the buyers responsibility to cover the cost of returning the PS3 back to you, not yours (op).
By doing so, he'll incur a cost of around £10-15.
Don't offer to pay this as the shipping costs are his responsibility.

Furthermore, remember that he doesn't know that you don't have the serial number, so in your resolution centre message, tell him that you have the serial number of the PS3 recorded and if the serial number on the PS3 he returns to you doesn't match it, then you'll keep both the money and the PS3. That'll probably scare him off if he's trying to pull a fast one.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

trubadman

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
trubadman
Accepted Solution

Sellers don't get much protection on ebay, you can get scammed so easily, eg my mate who sold an iphone and the buyer said he didn't receive it

0 Kudos

/16

sk_online

87%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sk_online
Accepted Solution

thats where insured post comes into it ;)

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Symonator

• Beta Tester
88%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Symonator
Accepted Solution

It's a common scam.

People get you to send ps3's and they will send you a faulty one back or take parts out of it and send you it back with the hairdryer seal removal it's pretty hard to detect.

What you need to do is say that send it you back and say you have the serial number and everything and if all is correct you'll give him a refund.

The thing is.. even if he makes a claim on paypal, your argument could be that it worked fine when sent, paypal might and probably will believe you.

0 Kudos

/16

tryme20

40%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tryme20
Accepted Solution
thank you so much guys really, the support here is amazing. im really gutted this happened and if it is a scam ive clearly taken him at face value because he rang me up and everything on friday and asked to collect it over the weekend but i wasnt available so sent it dhl on monday which he received today. maybe i should of just let him collect it.
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel