By FixBeat

FixBeat

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

what's the truth about bluray being neglected cuz of 360s dvd?

36 Replies 1,352 Views Created 25-02-2009

i've seen this rumour so many hundreds of time on the internet, so really hoped someone in the know could clarify on here for me/ps3 owners.

the xbox360 directly competes with the ps3.  the ps3 has bluray drives and the 360 has dvd drives.

bluray discs can hold 6-10 times more data than a dvd (10 times more than single layered dvd).

the creator of metal gear solid 4 said in CVG that if it wasn't on bluray, it'd have taken 4 DVDs to fit the game on.

now look at the small size of Grand Theft Auto 4 in comparison with the best Playstation 2 title Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.  the game is a smaller game in every respect to the playstation 2 game, apart from some technical aspects obviously.  in other words, it could have been a game the size of San Andreas with the detail of GTA4.

what stopped Rockstar making GTA4 bigger?  maybe the extra money deals they had with Microsoft, meant they were restricted to just using the capability of one DVD, as if it was released on PS3 on one disc, but say 2 discs for the 360, that would look as if the 360 has a lesser version, when Microsoft were paying the extra money.

so did Microsoft choosing DVD and releasing the 360 before PS3 meaning they have more customers (at the moment) mean developers are going to be stuck with that for the forseeable future?  is it only ps3 exclusives which are going to be using the extra capacity?

why don't sony just say 'oi developers, stop ignoring our rather amazing disc format and use them properly' 

is killzone 2 possible with just one dvd?  if not, like MGS4, sony should be PRESSING these facts to the public!  not only do the discs load quicker than dvds, but they mean more on one disc, saving you know, the environment, cost, etc...

either that, or really putting games on a bluray disc that fit on a dvd, is abit of a waste is it not?  also surely making costs for the industry higher for no reason?

or are ps3 games ALREADY using the extra space when porting games from the 360?  if so, again, sony should be making this known!!

------------

so what are your thoughts on this?  anybody know any FACTS about it?  please no more rumours, me being bored of rumours is what sparked me into writing this huuuuuge post hehe.

if you are going to say something as a fact, please provide a link for them.  i don't say anything above is fact, if you know something i've said above is wrong, please do say so - but give me some links to back yo fine selves up.

cheers girls and guys!

any sony insiders reading?  please reply!  8-) 

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

cartmen56

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
cartmen56
Accepted Solution
Games exclusive to the ps3 are taking up more, ports etc... are not, its nice to have as an option for devs i guess :)
0 Kudos

Re: what's the truth about bluray being neglected cuz of 360s dvd?

Photobucket
/16

Nismo_360

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nismo_360
Accepted Solution
I kinda agree with ya buddy. Apart for the bit where ya said Blu-Rays load faster. :)
0 Kudos

/16

luckymouse

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
luckymouse
Accepted Solution

Nismo_360 schreef:
I kinda agree with ya buddy. Apart for the bit where ya said Blu-Rays load faster. :)

Blu-Ray is faster, under certain specifiq conditions :) [/nitpick]

0 Kudos

/16

yellams

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
yellams
Accepted Solution
To be honest I think Rockstar were never going to make GTA IV exclusive so it had to come out on 360...and in all fairness, how would an open world sandbox game like GTA work with muliple discs?

0 Kudos

Photobucket
Gamertag - yeilams
Beta Tester
/16

DeathroW22

• Beta Tester
91%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DeathroW22
Accepted Solution
multiplatform titles are very unlikely to take advantage of blu-ray, look to exclusive titles if you want games that take advantage of the hardware.
0 Kudos

/16

kingchaz

94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kingchaz
Accepted Solution

luckymouse wrote:

Nismo_360 schreef:

so why does street fighter4 take 15 secounds longer on ps3 to load than on 360 reading from dics?
0 Kudos

/16

richzx6r

82%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
richzx6r
Accepted Solution

kingchaz wrote:

luckymouse wrote:

Nismo_360 schreef:

so why does street fighter4 take 15 secounds longer on ps3 to load than on 360 reading from dics?

The discs spin slower in a bluray drive, but each rotation collects more information, so there's not much in it - if SF4 takes longer to load; that's just bad programming, and as I used to wait some 8-10 minutes to load a game, and didn't mind that; 15 seconds I can handle.
0 Kudos

Photobucket
Four YLODs?? That's a bit much isn't it?.. Scratch that; now on 5. And no sign of my Dead Rising 2 or Wheels on the Bus discs yet either...
/16

Darkarium

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Darkarium
Accepted Solution
Most of the extra blu-ray seems to be filled it with stuff that would normally be compressed on most games.
0 Kudos

Sharp Aquos 32" LCD + 1000W Samsung Home Cinema + PS3 + 360
/16

DefiLe

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DefiLe
Accepted Solution

Good post,but i think it's more of a philosophical argument based on captialist morality..

rage by id software is/was a good example.

Yes the xbox360 is holding back developers to realy expand there products,but whats there motive?

money money money

The ps3 is ahead of said console in technical specs and suffers because of it.

Don't get me wrong,if the 360 had a bluray driver it would open up the market for the benifit of all

that enjoy gaming.

But unfortunatly microsoft believed that bluray would fail against hddvd and now were all paying the price.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

revolver20

• Beta Tester
92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
revolver20
Accepted Solution
Most of the claims for blu-ray and games filling up discs is because its uncompressed, whereas most games on 360 are compressed the difference is tiny and only people with really expensive kit will notice it.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

PFC_Hudson

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PFC_Hudson
Accepted Solution

richzx6r wrote:

and as I used to wait some 8-10 minutes to load a game, and didn't mind that; 15 seconds I can handle.

Message Edited by PFC_Hudson on 26-02-2009 12:13 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
M
/16

tooms109

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tooms109
Accepted Solution

richzx6r wrote:

kingchaz wrote:

luckymouse wrote:

Nismo_360 schreef:

The discs spin slower in a bluray drive, but each rotation collects more information, so there's not much in it - if SF4 takes longer to load; that's just bad programming, and as I used to wait some 8-10 minutes to load a game, and didn't mind that; 15 seconds I can handle.

I agree that sometimes it is bad programming....

But the blu-ray drive is slow ,thats why on a lot of games we have to have forced installs.

Something i really dislike.......I know it keeps load times low but i'd sooner just put the disc in and play.

Not to mention save HDD space.

A good example is Devil May Cry........You have to install the ps3 version,yet the advantage of installing is next to zero in terms of load times (compared to the 360 version...Which plays off disc) .

0 Kudos

sig
/16

Scythegpd

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Scythegpd
Accepted Solution

tooms109 wrote:

richzx6r wrote:

kingchaz wrote:

luckymouse wrote:

Nismo_360 schreef:

I agree that sometimes it is bad programming....

But the blu-ray drive is slow ,thats why on a lot of games we have to have forced installs.

Something i really dislike.......I know it keeps load times low but i'd sooner just put the disc in and play.

Not to mention save HDD space.

A good example is Devil May Cry........You have to install the ps3 version,yet the advantage of installing is next to zero in terms of load times (compared to the 360 version...Which plays off disc) .

Bold - Which is a good example of poor programming. Uncharted looks better, is longer and contains more in it that Devil May Cry yet had no install and very little loading time. So is Devil May Cry's install due to blu-ray ... or programming? And if it's blu-ray then explain Uncharted.

Killzone2 doesn't have an install either ...

0 Kudos

/16

westarmy

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
westarmy
Accepted Solution
Here we go again Lets keep it clean now....
and the truth is
Blu-Ray is Sony
DVD is Toshiba

Done.

No not really the truth...Microsoft will and never has payed any dev for making it rubbish on PS3 its what you call a bribe so if they do so and sony find out they will sue the creater and Microsoft..so cut your FANBOYISM
Microsoft pays to get exclusive and others, if you search on the internet there was a mistake on Assasin creed Comparison... IGN didn't put ps3s quality to high compared to xbox 360 so it looked better on 360 than ps3 but they said they made a mistake and re-did it and guess what it looked better on PS3 than 360.

Its just lazy developers who can't be bothered to figure out the ps3 power so far EA has started and so has the creater of Assasin Creed.
Ubisoft,Capcom have all been caught in the act as people found small glitches that showed B and Y. Disney make there own crappy games but they only released there games on PS2.Wii,360,DS,PSP.... there is no PS3 because they haven't got a clue on how to work it out except for PURE which was made by Motorstorm developers + Disney interactive just to help Disney boost up.

Sony has always been the best in terms of specs
1st to make HD TV
1st to make Bigger discs
1st to make OLED
1st to take risks even if it loses money

Microsoft never manufactored or advised toshiba how to build it so
Microsoft wanted a basic shape Toshiba told them there would be problems
Microsoft didn't give a ***** and continued.
Toshiba backed out before 360 Release.

As you can see microsoft never gave a *****...
Also for you mac lovers Apple was involved in making the Playstation 3

And the ps3 is 256MB Cache compared to a 2MB cache towards a Laptop this helps framerates and this is really not a bother in laptops.
7 SPE's
1CPU
1GPU
These are the big things in a PS3
So whats wrong with a blu-ray if it has the right hardware to use it
0 Kudos

/16

Pza266

90%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pza266
Accepted Solution

westarmy wrote:
and the truth is
Blu-Ray is Sony
DVD is Toshiba

Done.

No not really the truth...Microsoft will and never has payed any dev for making it rubbish on PS3 its what you call a bribe so if they do so and sony find out they will sue the creater and Microsoft..so cut your FANBOYISM
Microsoft pays to get exclusive and others, if you search on the internet there was a mistake on Assasin creed Comparison... IGN didn't put ps3s quality to high compared to xbox 360 so it looked better on 360 than ps3 but they said they made a mistake and re-did it and guess what it looked better on PS3 than 360.

Its just lazy developers who can't be bothered to figure out the ps3 power so far EA has started and so has the creater of Assasin Creed.
Ubisoft,Capcom have all been caught in the act as people found small glitches that showed B and Y. Disney make there own crappy games but they only released there games on PS2.Wii,360,DS,PSP.... there is no PS3 because they haven't got a clue on how to work it out except for PURE which was made by Motorstorm developers + Disney interactive just to help Disney boost up.

1st to make HD TV
1st to make Bigger discs
1st to make OLED

And the ps3 is 256MB Cache compared to a 2MB cache towards a Laptop this helps framerates and this is really not a bother in laptops.
7 SPE's
1CPU
1GPU

Ooooooooookay.
0 Kudos

:smileyindifferent::Help:

Zapping since '07.

Beta Tester
/16

revolver20

• Beta Tester
92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
revolver20
Accepted Solution
Pure was made by motorstorm people hahahahahaha................
0 Kudos

/16

Nismo_360

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nismo_360
Accepted Solution

westarmy wrote:
and the truth is
Blu-Ray is Sony
DVD is Toshiba

Done.

1st to make HD TV
1st to make Bigger discs
1st to make OLED

7 SPE's
1CPU
1GPU

You are so wrong on so many things its untrue

Sony made the first HD-TV?    Wrong

High Definition Television, as we know it today, was created by a Grand Alliance of companies working together to create the next generation of television. Members of the Grand alliance included General Instrument, Zenith, Sarnoff Labs (RCA), the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and AT&T Labs and Philips. The Grand Alliance was formed in May of 1993 under the auspices of the FCC and was tasked with producing a single set of standards that would allow HDTV transmission to be phased into use in the United States.

Blu-Ray is Sony?   Wrong

Sony owns the logo, but, like CD and SACD, it was developed with Philips.
Contributing to the development of the format were/are Matsu*****a, Pioneer, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp and Samsung.
The current Board of Directors is comprised of:

Apple
Dell
HP
Hitachi
LG
Mitsubishi Electric
Panasonic
Pioneer
Philips
Samsung
Sharp
Sony
Sun Microsystems
TDK
Thomson
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney
Warner Bros.

Sony does not "own" Blu-ray.

There are even more companies that have their fingers in the royalty pie, for example even Microsoft for part of VC1 (one of the codecs used).

So next time you go shouting ya mouth of with i love sony and they rule the world remarks. Maybe doing some reserch might help ya out.

Message Edited by Nismo_360 on 27-02-2009 08:01 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

FixBeat

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FixBeat
Accepted Solution

why do these threads need to turn into arguments?

i wasn't asking who owns bluray, read the first post again!

im asking if there is any truth in develpers being held back by the size of DVDs when writing cross-platform titles and if so, why doesn't Microsoft just stop being stupid and install BluRays in the 360mk3s (elite is mk2 in my eyes) and get them out asap.

and if its the case of developers just don't need blurays right now, why are ps3 games on the more expensive discs if there's no advantage?  just put them on DVDs and bring the price of ps3 games down that are on DVD?  then the ps3 would have cheaper games than the 360.  sony wins?  etc.

just makes no sense to me right now that games that fit onto a DVD are put on BluRays. 

0 Kudos

/16

kingchaz

94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kingchaz
Accepted Solution

FixBeat wrote:

im asking if there is any truth in develpers being held back by the size of DVDs when writing cross-platform titles and if so, why doesn't Microsoft just stop being stupid and install BluRays in the 360mk3s (elite is mk2 in my eyes) and get them out asap.

and if its the case of developers just don't need blurays right now, why are ps3 games on the more expensive discs if there's no advantage?  just put them on DVDs and bring the price of ps3 games down that are on DVD?  then the ps3 would have cheaper games than the 360.  sony wins?  etc.

just makes no sense to me right now that games that fit onto a DVD are put on BluRays. 

Because sony sold the myth that you need Bluray for HD next gen gaming .............You dont.
0 Kudos

/16

pureg

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pureg
Accepted Solution

FixBeat wrote:

just makes no sense to me right now that games that fit onto a DVD are put on BluRays

you could not bring out blu-ray games for the 360 as there would be loads of users that would not be able to play them. PS3 can read a blu-ray faster then it could read a DVD, so if they would be on DVD they would have longer load times.

westarmy: 256MB cache lol , you need to go do some reading. 256KB local store (like cache) for each SPU, 1.75MB for the SPUs and 512KB for the PPU

Message Edited by pureg on 28-02-2009 02:07 PM
Message Edited by pureg on 28-02-2009 02:07 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
PS3, Wii , 360 , Gaming PC
Now this is living
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel