22 Jul 2013
By: iNfamousAVi Beta Tester 144 Posts
Level 3

John Lewis

28 Replies 3,997 Views Created 23-07-2013

Being an avid shopper at John Lewis (its practically been a first choice store for our family for decades, for everything from bedding and furniture to sound and vision) all of my main purchases come from John Lewis. My Wii was from John Lewis, PS3 headset, lots of things. I even buy all my clothes from there (An extremely costly habit) So its only natural for me to feel the urge to disregard every other retailer and buy my PS4 from John Lewis on launch day. However, I'm a little bit frightened. The JL website shows that a product doesn't even exist until launch day. (The Xperia Tablet Z and Bravia W9 didn't even exist to the JL website until its release day, so my guess is they don't take preorders for any products) 

We were in GAME, Hayes, speaking to a sales assistant, and he was doing his usual sales tactics which ultimately lead my cousin to securing a PS4 with GAME, but with my stubborn nature when it comes to where I buy my materials from, I didn't secure a PS4 with GAME and said I was going to buy it from John Lewis.

One particularly notable 'fact' he mentioned was that GAME accounts for 70% of all PS4 units coming into the UK. Quite frankly I don't believe that. Amazon, Play, Tesco and John Lewis alone MUST be getting more than 30%, surely, and that's even before getting to every other supermarket and department store. I think he was lying, anyone else believe the same?

I'm afraid though. I'm afraid that John Lewis will show no sign of the PS4 until its release, and by the time I get to the store on release date (I'm planning to leave on release morning ASAP before the store opens to buy one, although I don't even believe that this will be enough to secure my purchase), they'll be sold out, as there is no current way of securing your console there. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29 (3,997 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: John Lewis

He's not lying. GAME did get the majority for preorders. Amazon also had a fairly big stake but nowhere near GAME's.
If everyone preordering PS4's actually gets them on launch, it will be a number of machines that not only will dwarf XB1's launch sales but pretty much any other games machine in history.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29 (3,993 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

I don't believe for one second that GAME have 70% of all the PS4's coming into the UK at launch.
I think he is talking *****e.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29 (3,958 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

When i wanted to preorder my wii u from John lewis, they told me that they dont take preorder and i have to go there on release day.

On the release day of the wii u i went to the store and they did not even have it.

Honestly i would secure the console elsewhere cause they are not reliable when it comes to gaming console.
Day one mega bundle baby.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29 (3,943 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Given the John Lewis staff nearby me in the electronics section hadn't even heard of the PS4 or Xbox One I'd say steer well clear of them. As to Game getting 70% of PS4's coming into the UK... I very much doubt it. One of my good friends is a manager at a Game store, and he says that the big supermarket chains between them will have way more than Game do. He was saying he'd expect Game to get between 30% to 35 % of all units to me about a month ago, but that crucially he'd not heard anything about overall shipment numbers for either system. Although he did say that they'd had 3 to 1 pre-orders in favour of PS4 and that prior to Microsoft's reversal it was worse than that.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29 (3,920 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

EdwCarnby wrote:
He's not lying. GAME did get the majority for preorders. Amazon also had a fairly big stake but nowhere near GAME's.
If everyone preordering PS4's actually gets them on launch, it will be a number of machines that not only will dwarf XB1's launch sales but pretty much any other games machine in history.

I don't doubt the fact that GAME would have gotten majority, if that is true, seeing as that is the UK's only gaming chain, but surely 70%, that's a little bit outrageous, because if that was true, that would just be purely bad distribution plans on Sony's end. There are more popular retailers like Amazon who should be getting a fairly larger slice than GAME.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29 (3,879 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Aaaah, I'm really not keen on ordering from anywhere else! I doubt that John Lewis, arguably the country's biggest chain department store will miss out on something as big as next generation Playstation, that would just be bad business to ignore something of this magnitude. I think I should periodcally check up on the status of next gen consoles at John Lewis, and see what my friends are doing. If John Lewis has no information on the PS4 within the next few weeks, I may have to succumb to preordering from GAME and going to the midnight launch.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29 (3,877 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I don't know why OP but you make me angry. Hmm..I want a PS4, a games console...so my 1st thought is 'John Lewis' *****? Clearly you need a brain check. Game, shopto, amazon, they are the ones to be getting it from. John Lewis is just a place for people with no sense. Haha
How do I add a picture here??
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 29 (3,849 Views)
Level 3

I'm going to be straight with you, I get a little bit of a discount there since a friend works there, which is why I'm so keen to buy it from there. It's quite a considerable discount too which is why I really don't want to get it from anywhere else.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29 (3,838 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

You're willing to let your friend risk getting the sack, just so you can get your PS4 cheaper? :smileyindifferent: Nice friend you are.
Transgender. Male pronouns please! (he/him/his/Edward/Ed)
Hypermobility Syndrome Awareness. Zebra warriors
Hypermobility Syndrome Awareness
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29 (3,798 Views)
0 Kudos